Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schlesische posted:

I seriously doubt the "I don't want to expand to a place that is already a rabid hockey fanbase" feeling is confined to Bettman.
And in a business sense, he's not wrong. There's more value in expanding your brand somewhere people don't know your name.

The best Candidate for expansion is Seattle (the NHL is desperate for Seattle regardless of how unlikely it looks right now), followed by Quebec (because it actually has a full NHL ready stadium and a fanbase that doesn't really support anyone right now) and then Hamilton/GTA (which comes with strings the size of Mars attached - Toronto, Buffalo and also potentially Ottawa would all want their large cash handout for letting that team exist).

KC has a stadium ready to go, but there's no ownership willing to take on the cost and no-one seems to care. Houston seems like a seriously long shot, but a second Texas team would rifle up a bit of rivalry which is always handy. Milwaukee could have a team if they wanted one, but from what I've heard Hockey is mostly a Minnesota thing that UW-M does too.

Delayed, but three things. 1. The main school in Wisconsin with hockey is UW-Madison, commonly shortened to UW. UW-M is UW-Milwaukee, which doesn't have hockey :eng101:.

Secondly, Hockey is the one big four (five if you count soccer) sport where Chicago does NOT have a Wisconsin rival. Any expansion team will likely have a lot of resistance from the 'Hawks if Milwaukee is the primary city for consideration.

Thirdly, they built the Bradley Center in the 80s with the intention of drawing an NHL franchise and to give the Bucks a bigger arena (seriously, the Bucks' home was only 10k large at the time, so I don't blame them on that one). The NHL team never happened. The new Bucks arena is capable of hosting hockey games, but only on an "as needed" basis (read: NHL preseason and NCAA Frozen Four), meaning that the basketball court (or any other floor they use) will not have the insulation needed to have it on top of a permanent ice sheet.

As much as I'd love a Milwaukee franchise, the chance died when the NHL didn't bother with the Bradley Center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Infidel Castro posted:

As much as I wanted a team in Milwaukee before, I've reached the point where I'm happy to be an AHL town now. My half-season tickets only cost $320/year and I still get very high quality hockey, plus the team is way more accessable than you'd ever see in the NHL.

Yeah, and they seem to be very comfortable in the UW-Panther Arena. Apparently they signed a deal with the Bucks that prevents the latter from trying to get them to move back into the big arena.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Dear las vegas, when it comes to your oilers pick, please don't take Pouliot, he's our best player and we love him and need him and he also comes with Desharnais who's also good and we like him.

Las Vegas picks Connor McDavid instead, after the GM forgets to protect him.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, bumping this with a thought.

I know there's a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth here because the raiders are shipping over to Vegas too. I'm not worried.

Why?

Look at Nashville. They have both the Titans and the Predators. Look at how rabid Nashville's fans are. If Nashville of all places can have a fanbase like that with an NFL team in the same city, I don't see why Vegas can't either.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The other thing to remember is the seasons don't particularly overlap. I mean yeah, the beginning of hockey is towards the end of the NFL season, but the playoffs are months apart.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If the flames move, and they don't use the burning C for the captain logo like they did with the A, I will be disappointed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bring back Hartford

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A Typical Goon posted:

Apperently sports teams consider 99% attendance to be a sellout so by that metric they've sold out every single game for the past 6 seasons

They've also been between 10-20 in team revenue every year they've been in Winnipeg and have never had to accept revenue sharing from the league

So yeah, you're pretty wrong here. Unless over half the league is in financial trouble?

I think it's fair to say 99% is a sellout given that all the seats are probably sold, but people won't make it for a multitude of reasons. Case in point, one year for the Packers, they had the stadium filled in the playoffs but all of three seats. The ticket holders happened to be in the hospital having a child. You could argue it's not a sellout by the letter, but in the spirit of things it's still a sellout.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JawKnee posted:

give me the protected list of the Canucks NHL

I need a top-up for my seething hatred of Jim Benning

I have it for you:
F:
Sedin
Sedin

D:

G:
Luongo (despite him being long gone)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JawKnee posted:

So you're saying Sbisa, Gudbranson, and Sutter are not protected, then?

Please. Now I just feel better.

They're not protected, but Vegas declines on them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ironically, no one can remember the Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Contract the Blackhawks, give Milwaukee a franchise.

• Locked thread