Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Hey Beer, I'd intended to grab Paxton Lynch rather than McDonald, but screwed it up, having not had my coffee. Mind changing it if no one grabs Lynch before you see this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, I went on an 11-day vacation and driving trip, spending most of my time outside of cell phone/data coverage with only intermittent access to wifi. I had to draft using fairly long lists picked one to three rounds in advance, which forced me to hurredly make ranked lists of guys rather than target specific players.

Here's how that went:
pre:
12.11 	143. 	Slow & Low 	Mariota, Marcus TEN QB
13.02 	146. 	Slow & Low 	Doctson, Josh WAS WR
14.11 	167. 	Slow & Low 	Goff, Jared RAM QB
15.02 	170. 	Slow & Low 	Cameron, Jordan MIA TE
16.11 	191. 	Slow & Low 	Steelers, Pittsburgh PIT Def
17.02 	194. 	Slow & Low 	Ware, Spencer KCC RB
18.11 	215. 	Slow & Low 	Watson, Ben BAL TE
19.02 	218. 	Slow & Low 	Spiller, C.J. NOS RB
20.11 	239. 	Slow & Low 	Walsh, Blair MIN PK
21.02 	242. 	Slow & Low 	Santos, Cairo KCC PK
22.11 	263. 	Slow & Low 	Colts, Indianapolis IND Def
23.02 	266. 	Slow & Low 	Cruz, Victor NYG WR
In 12 I needed a second QB badly, since a run had started and all the top guys were taken. I wound up with Mariota. A sophomore QB that still has the starting job tends to show improvement, and I think he's in a position to do that. The concern is they run a run-first offense that finds success... if that happens, Mariota probably won't have a lot of big passing games.

In 13 I wanted either another QB or a high WR pick, so I had kind of a mix in there I think. I wound up with Doctson, who I also drafted in the first slow draft. It's not like I'm in love with this guy, but he seems like he's going to be a candidate for lots of targets from the get-go unless he sucks, and in the 13th round that's worth it.

Jared Goff is my QB3 and I'm OK with that as a gamble. The rams will probably not be great this year, he's a rookie, but he's definitely the starter and he's not known to be a garbage QB, which is mostly what's left at this point, so whatever. I was again listing more than one position in my autodraft list just trying to get good players, and I probably should have taken a better RB in this round instead of Goff.

Because, in round 13 and 14 several good TEs went off the board, and I was worried a bunch more would be gone before my end-of-round-16 pick came up, so I felt I had to take my second TE immediately. Jordan Cameron (not to be confused with Cameron Jordan) seems OK and Miami runs a pass-heavy offense so I think he'll get regular good numbers. And he's not the same bye week as my TE1, Antonio Gates.

By round 16, D/STs were starting to come off the board, and I decided going into this thing that I wanted at least one higher-end defense rather than being forced to draft at least three lower-tier ones. So I pretty much just ranked the D/STs by 2015 points, which isn't the best way to go but I was doing this on my phone in the parking lot of the visitor's center in Cooke City, Montana before we drove into Yellowstone so I was in a hurry. The Steelers have a good D that I don't think was crippled in this offseason or anything, so OK.

I regret the Ware pick. I was feeling nervous about only having three RBs going into the 17th round. So like the D/Sts, I just listed a bunch of RBs well in advance, and Ware is the one I wound up with. I mean, he's a very good player I feel, but he's third on that depth chart and unlikely to see a lot of play unless guys get hurt. I'd rather own him if I also owned KCC's starting RBs, but I don't. I don't remember who else was still available at that point, but Tim Hightower was definitely still there and as I posted above, I wanted him and I had him on that list, but I guess just below Ware in priority. Oh well.

Ben Watson is just my "I guess I should have a third TE" pick. He plays and might bubble up into some points. The problem is he's a week 8 bye, and so is Jordan Cameron, so I hope Antonio Gates has a big game in Week 8. If he's hurt I'll wind up with a goose egg. As with the previous few rounds, I just didn't have time to pay attention to bye weeks and stuff when making this list.

I think CJ Spiller in the 19th round is a steal. OK, he's been hurt, and he's behind Ingram and maybe Hightower. But, he's a proven RB who has put up 1000+ yards for buffalo, he's capable of taking targets on passing downs, and even if the Saints decide they don't need him and dump him for cap space, I think he winds up somewhere as a playable body. Remember how many RBs got hurt last year? Spiller is the kind of guy who you definitely want as a backup if your star gets hurt, because while he's not an overwhelming player, you can at least count on him as a veteran reliable RB. In six years of play, he's lost a grand total of eight fumbles, while scoring 19 touchdowns (running + passing) plus two more on KO/Punt returns. Which reminds me, he's a veteran return man, and special teams is another reason he stays rostered and active.

I'm not saying Spiller is definitely going to earn me points this year, but he's my RB5. The biggest problem I have is that he's a week 5 bye, and oh poo poo, I already have two other week 5 RBs. gently caress.

You bastards started a deep run on kickers at this point and I also noticed how few rounds were left, so I just ranked up all the kickers by 2015 points and took two in a row at the 20/21 turn. I was just back from vacation at this point so I had a little more time to spare, and a proper computer to use, so I was able to make sure I didn't get two kickers with the same bye week.

I then needed another D/ST, so I grabbed the Colts. There's not very many left. I assume they'll have two or three good games maybe? At least they should provide a reliable floor.

Round 23 was a pure "best guy left in any position" draft. I'm sort of surprised Cruz is still here. I have a lot of WRs, so he's my 8th pick, and he's my fourth WR with a bye week of week 8, so maybe I shouldn't have grabbed him. But he should play in most of the Giants' three-wide sets and the Giants I am thinking will have a big year offensively. Sterling Shepard is a rookie, so on three wides if we see ODB (who I own) and Cruz as the veterans and Shepard as the rookie, I think there's a decent chance that Shepard winds up needing development and Eli winds up throwing mostly to his two veterans. Maybe Shepard is a superstar and he steals targets from Cruz, I dunno. But the next guys down are... Dwayne Harris? Myles White? Some other guys some of whom won't make the final roster? I figure Cruz is gonna have a good shot at one or two games with 2+ TDs this year, and that's all you can hope for in round 23.

I've got one pick left, the second-to-last one, and I'm not anticipating a lot of value left there. But looking at my roster, I don't see any glaring holes, either, so I'm pretty happy with being able to take almost anyone that tickles my fancy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Veritek83 posted:

Hey Beer, I'd intended to grab Paxton Lynch rather than McDonald, but screwed it up, having not had my coffee. Mind changing it if no one grabs Lynch before you see this?

Done.

Sorry I haven't been as active recently. I have been on travel.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Welp, that's that!

16.08 - GB Packers DST
A pretty good DST2, in my opinion. The Packers are never really considered a defense to be feared, but their secondary is pretty beastly and they could outscore the Broncos D on a couple occasions this season.

17.05 - Robert Woods
Sammy Watkins is pretty injury prone, Tyrod Taylor is pretty good, and Robert Woods is the guy who stands to benefit. I'm not expecting much out of Woods even if Watkins misses significant time, but for a 17th round pick he could definitely return some value.

18.08 - Jared Cook
There were probably better TE2's on the board here, but I dunno man, I'm just buying into the Rodgers2Cook phenomenon this year. Richard Rogers has been pretty solid as a TE, but Cook has never played to his potential and athletically he is an absolute freak. Aaron Rodgers may have the key to unlocking Jared Cook's Super-saian form. Probably not, but what the hell?

19.05 - Oakland Raiders DST
The Raiders are going to be a sneaky good DST this year and that front 7 is going to lead to some sack bonanza games, but their schedule is pretty tough.

20.08 - Breshad Perriman
Meh, an accidental auto-pick but I'm not mad at it. I have plenty of WRs on my roster already at this point, but I need to find some upside to make up for my iffy WR1 situation. Breshad Perriman could be that, maybe...?

21.05 - Andre Ellington
This guy can't stay healthy, but he's sort of, kind of in line for snaps if Johnson and Johnson go down. Arians seems to want a bellcow and David Johnson is it, but if he suffers an injury, they may put Ellington out there as a change of pace back.

22.08 - Blaine Gabbert
I think he wins the starting job this year, and I also think that he performs as a decent QB2 in Chip Kelly's offense this year. If I'm wrong, whatever. It sucks that he shares a bye with Eli Manning, but he may still outscore Eli and Jay on some weeks.

23.05 - Matt Prater
I sort of missed the boat on kickers this late in the draft, so I figured I would just draft the guys who have a lock on the starting job in a semi-effective offense. Prater has half of that going for him.

24.08 - Nick Novak
See Round 23 pick.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how this draft went. I somehow dodged a lot of the negative fantasy news that came out over the course of this draft, and I think I found value on a lot of my picks. I went robust RB on this draft, which is counter to the conventional wisdom for the 2016 season, but I think that it resulted in a pretty good zig to the zag. We'll see what this team ends up looking like in December, though.
code:
Position          Bye
QB:
Eli Manning        9
Jay Cutler         8
Blaine Gabbert     8

RB:
David Johnson      9
Doug Martin        6
Eddie Lacy         4
T.J. Yeldon        5
James Starks       4
Andre Ellington    9

WR:
Julian Edelman     9
Donte Moncrief     10
John Brown         9
Corey Coleman      13
Tavon Austin       8
Robert Woods       10
Breshad Perriman   8

TE: 
Dwayne Allen       10
Martellus Bennett  9
Jared Cook         4

K:
Matt Prater        10
Nick Novak         9

DST:
Broncos            11
Packers            4
Raiders            10

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 25, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

24.11 287. Slow & Low Robinson, Khiry NYJ RB

My plan had been to take one of: a third D, a third kicker, or "whoever was still remaining", or possibly a real outside gamble pick. Unfortunately, I hosed up and three of my five RBs have week 5 byes. Similarly, two of my three TEs have week 8 byes. So, in the end I decided I had better grab a fill-in at TE or RB.

I flirted with drafting a fullback, because I love me some fullbacks, but then I noticed Khiry was still available. OK, technically he's RB3 for the Jets, behind Matt Forte and Bilal Powell, and he's got a broken leg. But I'll just quote Rotoworld:

quote:

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini speculates Khiry Robinson could be the short-yardage and goal-line back.
Still recovering from a broken leg, Robinson will need to get healthy first, but there is no reason he cannot push for a role. Matt Forte has not been an effective short-yardage back throughout his career, and Bilal Powell does not fit the profile of a power back either. Robinson has converted 7-of-13 career attempts inside the 10 into touchdowns, a rate which is well above league average. It would not be surprising if he won the short-yardage job in camp.

OK, that sounds decent to me. If Forte or Powell get hurt, Robinson is probably a lock for significant gametime, plus he may have the odd week (hopefully week 5!) where he grabs a couple TDs. For the end of round 24, that's good enough.

If I'd managed my draft a bit differently, I was strongly considering Anquan Boldin, who is currently a free agent but I feel almost certain to land a playing job on some team or another by the end of the preseason. He's too good not to play. But I already have 8 WRs and just can't possibly justify a ninth, not when I'm a little short at four other positions.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Moments after I grabbed the Bears as my third defense, I realized all three of my defenses share a bye. Guess week 9 is a loss, but it's not like the alternatives were particularly appealing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dabgummit.

Khiry Robinson just got placed on PUP. And, Anquan Boldin signed a one-year deal with the Lions.

Anyone else think that's a great spot for him? I think there's a good chance he's the top-scoring unowned WR in this league.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Feelin really good about that Kaepernick lottery ticket right now

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Spoeank posted:

Feelin really good about that Kaepernick lottery ticket right now

https://gfycat.com/RashJauntyAfricangroundhornbill

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
That Olsen/Graham/Henry TE stack, tho.

:smuggo:

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Poor MIkey Purp. 8 players total Out, 1 Doubtful, and 3 Questionable.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have 3 guys on IR, two guys Out, and a free agent, and Jared Goff. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself but yeesh.

e. Also I love it that TAQs most infamous constant roster shuffler 89 is leading the league in a draft-once-and-forget-it format.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 22, 2016

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Leperflesh posted:

I have 3 guys on IR, two guys Out, and a free agent, and Jared Goff. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself but yeesh.

e. Also I love it that TAQs most infamous constant roster shuffler 89 is leading the league in a draft-once-and-forget-it format.

It's poetic in a way.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
This league is the one I'm doing the best in. lolz.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I not only got first, my bench outscored 4 teams this week :eyepop:

Feels good to get first though, finally.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Looks like I am maintaining the slightest of leads over Spoeank (I think you are Bishop Sankey) followed closely by 89. :getin:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
This is proof that I overthink every draft in August with too much information making me change all of my moves.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

89 posted:

This is proof that I overthink every draft in August with too much information making me change all of my moves.

You are the Ruxin.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

MrSargent posted:

Looks like I am maintaining the slightest of leads over Spoeank (I think you are Bishop Sankey) followed closely by 89. :getin:

My first few weeks were disastrous but now I'm feeling alright. I can't believe my Kaepernick pick is paying dividends

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

MrSargent posted:

You are the Ruxin.

Had I listened to myself, I would have had LeVeon in every single league.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Spoeank posted:

My first few weeks were disastrous but now I'm feeling alright. I can't believe my Kaepernick pick is paying dividends

There is nothing quite as satisfying as a homer pick paying off.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

MrSargent posted:

I was confused at first, but then realized there is 2 Goon slow drafts.

Also surprisingly being carried by Zeke and Gordon in the other one, haha.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Turnin' and Burnin' takes it down! I had to brag here as this is the only league I won this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
I did by far the best in this league.vs all my other leagues

• Locked thread