Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

...are you going somewhere? Why does that post read like you've given up on participating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
Why is it idiotic to pick a townie role that nobody will question or counterclaim you on?

I mean KB has already pointed out that he did that exact thing in a previous game and won with it.

dongs why did you have to die, I feel like we need you're Adahn translator right now.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

...are you going somewhere? Why does that post read like you've given up on participating

No, not going anywhere, just talking to a possible 3P boss.

I'm definitely still participating. KB and TQ are coming across as a bit scummy but there's really no heat on them.

The main thing against them, really, is this nonsensical AA push. I'll be the first to admit that it's possible, but it would require such a culmination of stupidity for AA to be scum and have gotten the only {Cop} role in the lottery that it's mind-boggling.

To me it reads as more of an effort to re-direct heat, just as both of them tried to re-direct suspicion D1 away from Infinitum, ultimately leading to a Glowku lynch despite their hedgy protestations that "Infinitum is super scummy".

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Truth Quark posted:

Why is it idiotic to pick a townie role that nobody will question or counterclaim you on?

I mean KB has already pointed out that he did that exact thing in a previous game and won with it.

dongs why did you have to die, I feel like we need you're Adahn translator right now.

Because it means that none of the TOWNIES in the lottery picked Cop as a Shine role.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

But we don't know how Podima handed out the roles, he could have distributed three cops or something.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Also, I repeat: Who picked AA as their support choice yesterday?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Excellent catch. Still it seems strange for them to both be in the know about being loved unless it's a coordinated gambit and that seems like a stretch.

I am also not loved, nor had no prior knowledge of that as everything my pregame stuff had to deal with was selecting a PR and a second question which was ambiguous as to whether pr not it helped a player, but it was clear neither I or they would know.

So adahn claiming to be targeted by a player is either him reconciling the actuality of n0 actions or somewhat disingenuous, again though, seems farfetched that both him and MMT would end up with the same effect and that be false.

He said he wasn't loved. Also, glowku picked you but you weren't loved.

Dunno why you think someone picked AA on N0?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I have a reason and I want to know~

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Quidnose posted:

I have a reason and I want to know~

It outs someone with an un-revealed, probably useful Shine power. That's a bad thing.

There are TONS of vanillas (1-shot Universal Shine Backups) like myself.

Also, I'm starting to think that this game might be all Shine Backups, Vanillas with Shine powers, and maybe a couple Power roles that are Brewers.

We may not have a straight-up Cop or Doctor.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

Adahn1986 posted:

No, not going anywhere, just talking to a possible 3P boss.

I'm definitely still participating. KB and TQ are coming across as a bit scummy but there's really no heat on them.

The main thing against them, really, is this nonsensical AA push. I'll be the first to admit that it's possible, but it would require such a culmination of stupidity for AA to be scum and have gotten the only {Cop} role in the lottery that it's mind-boggling.

To me it reads as more of an effort to re-direct heat, just as both of them tried to re-direct suspicion D1 away from Infinitum, ultimately leading to a Glowku lynch despite their hedgy protestations that "Infinitum is super scummy".

:siren: LIE DETECTED :siren:

Adahn1986 posted:

It outs someone with an un-revealed, probably useful Shine power. That's a bad thing.

There are TONS of vanillas (1-shot Universal Shine Backups) like myself.

Also, I'm starting to think that this game might be all Shine Backups, Vanillas with Shine powers, and maybe a couple Power roles that are Brewers.

We may not have a straight-up Cop or Doctor.

What, exactly, makes you think there are numerous backups? Because we've had NO backups flip and to my knowledge one other backup claim.

You make constant weird leaps of logic, if Inf hadn't pushed you so hard, there is no way I would be voting AA today, because I would be voting for you.

Here are some more words re: lynching bosses D1 even though I know I am talking to a brick wall. Not lynching Inf proved me right because what happened was super beneficial to town. dongsbot was dead at night no matter what, there was no way scum could let him live. Infinitum, since he wasn't town aligned, was going to be put on the merc's list no matter what. Would you rather have had town players on that list at night or the scum boss? Because however good dongs claims to be, I doubt he could've have perfectly picked the scum team after D1.

If we lynched Inf or dongs D1, we risked lynching the town boss and therefore empowering the scum boss, not to mention eliminating the one boss with an incentive to always put scum on the merc list.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
Also, AGAIN, we have no way of knowing how Podima handed out the roles. He is very good at loving with people doing exactly what you are doing: namely using setup spec to try and break the game. It isn't going to work and we learned that lesson the hard way last Shine game.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Adahn1986 posted:

Because it means that none of the TOWNIES in the lottery picked Cop as a Shine role.

Phone posting before my meeting because I haven't learned my lesson. But I'll use more words. :)

We've already discussed that a cop cc'ing right now is unlikely. There is no good reason to do it and you shouldn't be expecting it.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
Dear other thread denizens: if I continue to argue with known Brick Wall Adahn1986 please do me a favor and slap me.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

curiousCat posted:

what the hell are you two on to provoke such a stupid slapfight

Btw this is all you have to offer the conversation?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Quidnose posted:

Also, I repeat: Who picked AA as their support choice yesterday?

No one as far as I know, I wasn't loved and didn't get any other event related messages. I claimed that earloer in the game.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Truth Quark posted:

Dear other thread denizens: if I continue to argue with known Brick Wall Adahn1986 please do me a favor and slap me.

There are multiple 1-shot Universal Shine Backups. I'm not responsible for your inability to read the thread, and I'm also not going to out them.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS
You know who just up and vanished after being declared town by a couple veterans? TMM.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Truth Quark posted:

Also, AGAIN, we have no way of knowing how Podima handed out the roles. He is very good at loving with people doing exactly what you are doing: namely using setup spec to try and break the game. It isn't going to work and we learned that lesson the hard way last Shine game.

This is a meta-meta read about how a mod runs his game and is in essence the same as trying to game the setup. Quit making this asinine defense as a means to avoid making logical connections based on what is probable.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Flying Leatherman posted:

I started looking at Li Dawny after reading MMT's post, and something jumped out at me while I was reading.

This happened in the space of slightly over two hours and one page. It feels manufactured, being over that short of a timeframe. I don't see anything in the intervening posts that would make it that much more important to get votes consolidated and get a train rolling.

##vote Li Dawny

I had assumed people were going to weigh in, which didn't really happen, so I got concerned. Why is that so hard to imagine? I wanted a conversation started, not votes put up. After watching Quid and KB fight I'm pretty sure they're both town. Scum usually, from my experience, don't slap fight that hard.

Quidnose posted:

But we don't know how Podima handed out the roles, he could have distributed three cops or something.

In response to this, everyone who's claimed to have been a part of the lottery seems to have gotten the role that they chose, unless I'm missing something. So maybe we shouldn't assume that all of the roles on the list exist or that there's only one of them. Not saying you are, but just thinking about it.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Got a new notebook. Time to mafs.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
The funny thing about 'town slapfights' is that in Ferngully I was accused of slapfighting with Max, who was the scumbo that ended up winning the game.

I'm pretty sure I got accused of 'town slapfighting' with Infinitum just yesterday.

I really, really fail to see how pointing out that people are arguing with each other is any kind of a viable defense, for anyone, in any situation.

It's a dismissive argument that adds nothing to a conversation. It's merely an attempt to direct people away from whatever argument someone might be trying to make.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Adahn1986 posted:

The funny thing about 'town slapfights' is that in Ferngully I was accused of slapfighting with Max, who was the scumbo that ended up winning the game.

I'm pretty sure I got accused of 'town slapfighting' with Infinitum just yesterday.

I really, really fail to see how pointing out that people are arguing with each other is any kind of a viable defense, for anyone, in any situation.

It's a dismissive argument that adds nothing to a conversation. It's merely an attempt to direct people away from whatever argument someone might be trying to make.

you should also remember that in ferngully max eventually stepped aside and let you and quid beat on each other for almost 24 hours straight, winning him the game

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

I started looking at Li Dawny after reading MMT's post, and something jumped out at me while I was reading.

This happened in the space of slightly over two hours and one page. It feels manufactured, being over that short of a timeframe. I don't see anything in the intervening posts that would make it that much more important to get votes consolidated and get a train rolling.

##vote Li Dawny

This really stood out for me too. LI DAWNY dancing from GUYS WE GOT TIME RELAX to OH poo poo WE GOTTA LYNCH BEFORE DEADLINE WHAT'RE WE GONNA DO?!

Also, there was something I say in a KB post that really stood out. That being a weird attempt at role fishing. But eh, I know I've done some blatantly obvious rolefishing and people were right at my throat yet only one person put a call out on him so maybe I was over analyzing what he said.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

King Burgundy posted:

Btw this is all you have to offer the conversation?

I was going to say something about Cat earlier, but at this point I'd advocate just getting the free lurker lynch tomorrow if things keep up.

But yeah, certainly worth noting that the few posts that they've made are completely content-free.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I don't 100% agree with KB's case on AA or his defense of TQ, but giving KB a read he seems to be playing a genuinely town game.

Quid, you've tunneled on town before pretty hard, and I think that's what you're doing with KB now.

It's just my opinion, but I'm making a town call on KB. If he's scum, he's VERY good at pretending to play a town game.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

This really stood out for me too. LI DAWNY dancing from GUYS WE GOT TIME RELAX to OH poo poo WE GOTTA LYNCH BEFORE DEADLINE WHAT'RE WE GONNA DO?!

Again, I was eating conversation in the time leading up to the deadline, there was none. I didn't say "holy poo poo vote now!!" I said, "we need to talk about who we will/won't vote" I don't see how saying "we don't need to turbo" and following it with "we do need to discuss who we want to vote" is contradictory.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

I can be nothing else but Vanilla. Are you implying I could be a PR and still participate in the shine role lottery because that doesn't make sense to me.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

You all seriously need to realize that shine roles are not just for VT. I am basing this on

This is why it was a bad idea for adahn to out quidnose. Please everyone stop assuming that shine role = vt. I think it's likely scum has shine roles too.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Li Dawny posted:

I had assumed people were going to weigh in, which didn't really happen, so I got concerned. Why is that so hard to imagine?

It seems odd to me that in the space of two hours you suddenly discovered a pressing need to get lynch discussion started after being so disconcerted by having votes on the board. Even the initial concern seems weird, because it's not like we were in the middle of a turbo or something.

Li Dawny posted:

I wanted a conversation started, not votes put up

If you're trying to discuss who to lynch, at least in my experience, votes tend to happen as part of that process, so what you're saying here doesn't make sense to me either.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Mafia edit: this is the important part of that post

[*]Rolecop - can investigate someone else at night, learning both their Role and Shine Role.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Fair point, but I did claim vanilla more than once and this feels like an artificial attempt to pick at something that fits this shallow argument you're trying to make.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

It seems odd to me that in the space of two hours you suddenly discovered a pressing need to get lynch discussion started after being so disconcerted by having votes on the board. Even the initial concern seems weird, because it's not like we were in the middle of a turbo or something.

If you're trying to discuss who to lynch, at least in my experience, votes tend to happen as part of that process, so what you're saying here doesn't make sense to me either.

Just because you're talking about who is/isn't scum doesn't mean you're going to vote them immediately. And sometimes it takes six hours to get even close to a consensus, which is why I wanted to have the conversation starting. The votes that were applied before the conversation were weakly supported (at best) and we were getting kinda close to a turbo(not immediately a threat when I posted it, but would have been an easy push had scum tried). You can lynch me for trying to prevent a turbo so that we had time to scum hunt, but that's a pretty dumb reason.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Li Dawny posted:

The votes that were applied before the conversation were weakly supported (at best) and we were getting kinda close to a turbo(not immediately a threat when I posted it, but would have been an easy push had scum tried). You can lynch me for trying to prevent a turbo so that we had time to scum hunt, but that's a pretty dumb reason.

If I'm reading the thread right, at the time, Adahn had 3 votes on him, which was L-10

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Li Dawny posted:

Again, I was eating conversation in the time leading up to the deadline, there was none. I didn't say "holy poo poo vote now!!" I said, "we need to talk about who we will/won't vote" I don't see how saying "we don't need to turbo" and following it with "we do need to discuss who we want to vote" is contradictory.

The problem is you didn't say oh hey lets discuss who we are lynching you said

Li Dawny posted:

Okay, we need to all figure out who we are/are not willing to vote today because I'm having genuine concern over if we're going to get a lynch in today.

Bolding is mine.

You were explicitely avoiding the obvious intent which was to say WHO WE GONNA LYNCH in a really obvious MoJoJo-esque way. Like this is way to many words to say hey who we voting? Almost seems like your trying to avoid coming right out and saying it so you can later fall back on an argument of BUT GUYS I WAS ONLY TRYING TO GOOD MAFIA.

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

If I'm reading the thread right, at the time, Adahn had 3 votes on him, which was L-10

Right, and if we we do even the lightest of set up spec (which I don't usually do but fine) there are around six scum total (on average scum makes up about 1/4 of the player population) which could have put him as far as -4. And if a few scum made decent case posts grabbing an extra four townies as we approach the deadline isn't unreasonable. That's why I believe in conversation before voting, which is what I was trying to get across.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Fair point, but I did claim vanilla more than once and this feels like an artificial attempt to pick at something that fits this shallow argument you're trying to make.

My point wasn't just to you, but to everyone who keeps saying that if someone has a shine role they have to be vanilla and that there can only be one of each role.

Setup spec is bad which is why I'm saying people shouldn't assume they know anything about what podima is doing.

There is 100% no way there's only one of each shine role bc someone already claimed my role (and no I'm not saying what it is. But it's not cop so don't nk me tia)

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

JimsonTheBetrayer posted:

The problem is you didn't say oh hey lets discuss who we are lynching you said

Bolding is mine.

You were explicitely avoiding the obvious intent which was to say WHO WE GONNA LYNCH in a really obvious MoJoJo-esque way. Like this is way to many words to say hey who we voting? Almost seems like your trying to avoid coming right out and saying it so you can later fall back on an argument of BUT GUYS I WAS ONLY TRYING TO GOOD MAFIA.

So, basically eloquence=scum? I mean, you could probably argue that all of my posts, minus a few obvious if poorly executed jokes, have far too many words in them. I'm wordy, I'm sorry, but it's how I type. This is probably one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen and you once asked me to provide a screen shot to prove that my phone was dying.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'll put my vote down now since I still stand by my case. ##vote aa

flerp
Feb 25, 2014

Li Dawny posted:

So, basically eloquence=scum? I mean, you could probably argue that all of my posts, minus a few obvious if poorly executed jokes, have far too many words in them. I'm wordy, I'm sorry, but it's how I type. This is probably one of the most ridiculous arguments I've ever seen and you once asked me to provide a screen shot to prove that my phone was dying.

this is scum dawny ##vote dawny

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I'll put my vote down now since I still stand by my case. ##vote aa

So we had a reckless vig, an innocent child, an alignment cop and bosses. I wonder which you are.

Also can't wait til you backpedal tmrw for being wrong about me, but of course, since you're probably scum you already know this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Li Dawny posted:

Right, and if we we do even the lightest of set up spec (which I don't usually do but fine) there are around six scum total (on average scum makes up about 1/4 of the player population) which could have put him as far as -4. And if a few scum made decent case posts grabbing an extra four townies as we approach the deadline isn't unreasonable. That's why I believe in conversation before voting, which is what I was trying to get across.

I love this idea of the world's most coordinated and dumbest scum team where ALL OF THEM quickly jump on a -10 vote to bring it to a -4. :allears:

• Locked thread