Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010
I started to write out the details of my case, but that doesn't seem so important, and potentially damaging. The short of it is, it is a Simple Battery charge against myself that may have been filed to prevent a greater charge against the perpetrator/victim.

I'd like to hire a good criminal lawyer in Chicago. I posted my case to "LegalMatch.com" and immediately received numerous calls and emails including calls on evening weekend nights. I kinda figure the type of lawyer who will blow up your phone at midnight on a Saturday doesn't have the success rate I'm looking for. Meanwhile I checked out lawyers on Avvo.com, but I get a fake review vibe from a lot of their results and often the lawyers there don't have reviews from any clients who have hired them.

What is the best way to seek out legal representation?

edit:
My bad, I didn't even look at the Stickys - like a dick.

ChromiumCrush fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
I searched the local "alternative newsweekly" for two words: "rear end in a top hat" and "lawyer." Found myself a good one.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Most counties and/or states have a Bar Association, and that Bar Association usually has a lawyer referral service. Google %chicago county bar association referral service% and you'll get contact info.

Usually they only charge a very modest fee for 30-45 minutes either in person or over the phone with a lawyer, who will hear you out and go through what's up. I can't speak for criminal defense but I've gotten answers from lawyers on incorporation, landlord-tenant issues, and other minor things.

Hope that helps, OP.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Martindale Hubbell has ratings that are peer based and potentially at least quasi reliable (you would be looking for an "AV" rated lawyer); they can be gamed but it will be way better than something like avvo. It's the traditional lawyer directory and ratings service, and you should be able to find physical MH books in your local courthouse or law school library if you prefer that, or there is an online service.

I'd suggest a combination of that plus asking around (with people who would know like local clerks of court, judges and public defenders) and internet searches of news articles with terms like "prominent defense attorney ". Also, depending on the local hiring model, in some (many) cases, local public defenders can be very skilled, so it's worth becoming informed about the quality of the local office.

Best of luck to you.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 1, 2016

• Locked thread