Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

bump_fn posted:

img-jerkoff motion.gif

nonlocal hidden variables violate locality and therefore are just as dumb
i am way more willing to accept nonlocality than i am true randomness

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i was introduced to the show when i was asking for help with my algorithms homework in the grey forum and described my obnoxiously convoluted solution to one of the problems. someone linked the dick jerking algorithm on youtube and i knew i had to see the show.

"call it theta d" has made me laugh harder than i had in a long while.

the callback with the exercise machine in the nucleus lab was artful

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
is "smiler" really something guys call girls' buttholes

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

coffeetable posted:

theres nothing random about decoherence

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

bump_fn posted:

img-jerkoff motion.gif

actually locality is probably not a great assumption. It pops up in the advanced potential solution to maxwell's equations for example.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Stereotype posted:

actually locality is probably not a great assumption. It pops up in the advanced potential solution to maxwell's equations for example.

maxwells equations are classical and are a well posed causal cauchy problem w causal local evolution (w constraints, is that what you're concerned about? gauss' law?) but almost all of modern physics is based on local quantum field theory (i'm not going to get into quantum gravity but even there things are ``pretty'' local in something like string theory)

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
actually, you'll find the locality of my dick in your mouth means you're dumb and should talk (because my dick is in your mouth and you have moreimportant things to do)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

coffeetable posted:

nerd

bump_fn posted:

theres nothing random about decoherence

nerd

Stereotype posted:

nerd

bump_fn posted:

maxwells equations are classical and are a well posed causal cauchy problem w causal local evolution (w constraints, is that what you're concerned about? gauss' law?) but almost all of modern physics is based on local quantum field theory (i'm not going to get into quantum gravity but even there things are ``pretty'' local in something like string theory)

nerd

bump_fn posted:

img-jerkoff motion.gif

nerd

coffeetable posted:

local hidden variables are

nerd

PleasingFungus posted:

yeah, most people don't realize that was trying to make that point. but...

the thing is, as I understand it, he was wrong. the superposition of states is profoundly unintuitive, but it's also the mainstream interpretation of quantum physics.

nerd

bump_fn posted:

this is wrong since hidden variables are in disagreement w bells inequality fwiw

nerd

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
silicon valley is great but idg why people ever liked party down it was depressing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

nerd

nerd

nerd

nerd

nerd

nerd

nerd

nerd

whew made it

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Someone drew a burndown chart on one of our white boards the other day. loving idiot. I ran my hand through that poo poo. Get your JIRA on.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

silicon valley is great but idg why people ever liked party down it was depressing

what was depressing about it? the only one who kind of got the short end was Ron. it was a good awkward funny

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

nerds

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

trilljester posted:

I think the reason this show is so amazing is that I (and I assume most of you) have encountered every character in this show in real life. Very much like Office Space in that sense.

i encounter them daily (with love, of course) and i legit thing peter is a template for my future success since all the lovely things in his life have lined up with mine in a shocking manor :\

Xaris posted:

:agreed: he was also the best in Party Down (which was a good show)

he was amazing there and it was part of the reason i went and watched freaks and geeks

Virigoth posted:

Someone drew a burndown chart on one of our white boards the other day. loving idiot. I ran my hand through that poo poo. Get your JIRA on.

i need to show the spritns clip to my coworkers, hell, the whole show

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Xaris posted:

:agreed: he was also the best in Party Down (which was a good show)

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I eat the fish

It's good and i found it at my local library

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Counterpoint
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqjR1gHyIQ

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
love that clip

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

THC posted:

the show is great except for how the only recurring Asian character in a show about silicon valley software nerds is an absurd racist caricature whose only role in the story is to be laughed at

last time i checked pakistan is in asia

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

East Asian.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
mike judge has always been racist

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

RBC posted:

mike judge has always been racist

well he is a texan

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

well yeah that why gilfoyle is the best

but dunno i wasn't able to get into party down

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

this Warcraft movie is super poo poo mlmp

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
So why is he even talking about the space vs tab poo poo when he also mentions emacs vs vim (where he is wrong) which BOTH have auto indenting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

what's the relationship? party down was great I guess you just don't get it

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

echinopsis posted:

what's the relationship? party down was great I guess you just don't get it

party down hits hard on people who majored in english, it's one thing to work foodservice/retail during college but doing it for five plus years after you graduate really hurts

also I think its funny they have martin wear cheaper glasses as gilfoyle where a moderate strength == super thick lenses

Tatsujin fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 25, 2016

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Stereotype posted:

So why is he even talking about the space vs tab poo poo when he also mentions emacs vs vim (where he is wrong) which BOTH have auto indenting

yeah i mean why would you press spacebar 4 times, just set the editor so it happens when you press tab. i legit forgot what our standard was because i set the preference for it to happen when i hit tab and never thought about it again

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Should I watch Party Down if I like this show?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
watch it anyway

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
party down is better than silicon valley cause you dont have to be a spoiled white tech boy to appreciate it

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
silicon valley is real good because it's actually funny

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

online friend posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

online friend posted:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

its funny because its true

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

like save yourself the effort of reading the tech bubble thread and just watch this show

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
party down is a really good show.

are we having fun yet?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I saw the scene in Silicon Valley about the jerking off and idk it really didn't float my boat but I do like to laugh should I give tv show another go

only watched a couple episodes of the detour but I laughed during it

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
silicon valley is really funny if you've ever worked in "Tech" on the west coast.

several of my friends are archetypes of the people on that show, and they either find it uproariously funny or can't watch because it hits too close to home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

is it on Netflix? if no then I will not consume. :colbert:

• Locked thread