Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
your loss idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
lets see about this 'party down'

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
it sucks, the only good part is proto-gilfoyle. barely watchable

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Beast of Bourbon posted:

party down is a really good show.

are we having fun yet?

I work with a guy who looks like Adam Scott and he hasn't seen party down so he doesnt do the line, he sucks.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Beast of Bourbon posted:

silicon valley is really funny if you've ever worked in "Tech" on the west coast.

several of my friends are archetypes of the people on that show, and they either find it uproariously funny or can't watch because it hits too close to home.

this hit pretty drat close but boy it's true though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-b7-fLOjlY

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
there was a new yorker article about how some sv people act like they like the show because hey want to seem cool even tho they hate being made fun of etc

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

echinopsis posted:

I saw the scene in Silicon Valley about the jerking off and idk it really didn't float my boat but I do like to laugh should I give tv show another go

only watched a couple episodes of the detour but I laughed during it

if you didn't like that scene than idk

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if you didn't like that scene than idk

I mean who hasn't had conversations like that at work with whiteboards. burndown chart for what.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

tj miller neg'd elon musk so hard

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Agile Vector posted:

Belson's spiritual guy is the best small-part character

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

maniacdevnull posted:

Belson's spiritual guy is the best small-part character

it was a little unfortunate they turned away from the "bighead becomes hooli CEO" plotline, but gavin belson is a pretty good character so it works out

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

nice theranos burn

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Maximum Leader posted:

your loss idiot

so that'd be a no then, fuckwit?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Agile Vector posted:

those are microsoft badges on the hooli employees.

quote:

Miller plays Erlich Bachman, a pot-smoking blowhard with ludicrously sculpted facial hair whose house in the Valley is a tech incubator. Because Richard founded Pied Piper while living in the house, Erlich, without doing much work, is entitled to a minority stake and a seat on the board. “Multiple people have told me, ‘I’m the Erlich of my company,’” he continued. “I actually tell them, ‘You know that’s not a good thing, right?’”

I wonder how many Erlich Bachmans are out there, just making a pretty decent living because they own 2-5% of a hundred little startups.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coffee Jones posted:

I wonder how many Erlich Bachmans are out there, just making a pretty decent living because they own 2-5% of a hundred little startups.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Coffee Jones posted:

nah they're a little different

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

it's so pointy

i can't even imagine him w/ hair

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's so pointy

i can't even imagine him w/ hair

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i'm really having trouble parsing this transformation

it's like he got replaced by a pod person and it's an imperfect copy

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
you can kind of see it, even with all the effort the hair stylist put into cover it up

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Xaris posted:

:agreed: he was also the best in Party Down (which was a good show)

yeah his character is p much perfect in party down. if you like that sort of humor check out Bojack Horseman on Netflix if you haven't already :)

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
There is a helmet they give to babies to fix their heads when they get all weird and misshapen.

It's sort of funny because in the early 90s there was a campaign to put babies to sleep on their backs to prevent sudden infant death syndrome, and it actually worked. Turns out babies are so weak that they can suffocate because they can't turn their heads away from the mattress of their cribs. Anyway, it lead to a shitload of super wonky shaped heads and now those kids are entering their 20s.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Coffee Jones posted:

I had someone tell me IRL they thought Ehrlich was based on them lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

There is a helmet they give to babies to fix their heads when they get all weird and misshapen.

It's sort of funny because in the early 90s there was a campaign to put babies to sleep on their backs to prevent sudden infant death syndrome, and it actually worked. Turns out babies are so weak that they can suffocate because they can't turn their heads away from the mattress of their cribs. Anyway, it lead to a shitload of super wonky shaped heads and now those kids are entering their 20s.

my eldest sons head is a bit flat on the back coz of this and with younger son we just cared less about him always being on his back so he his skull is normally shaped but honestly you can't barely tell but I guess some people were really strict about it and now I want to see weird-skulls

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm really having trouble parsing this transformation

it's like he got replaced by a pod person and it's an imperfect copy

ever leave a can of coke in a warm car? thats what being a vc in sv is like

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i bet he began shaving it as he started to bald and resemble bert

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my mom was in labor with me for like 58 hours before the hospital finally relented and did an xray and my head was too big for her pelvis so they c'd me out and i had conehead. went away tho

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
*motions picking up elephant with skycrane, moving it, dropping it*

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Jonny 290 posted:

my mom was in labor with me for like 58 hours before the hospital finally relented and did an xray and my head was too big for her pelvis so they c'd me out and i had conehead. went away tho

Nice! Your Mom still that tight?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

my eldest sons head is a bit flat on the back coz of this and with younger son we just cared less about him always being on his back so he his skull is normally shaped but honestly you can't barely tell but I guess some people were really strict about it and now I want to see weird-skulls

http://earlystartpt.com/early-signs-to-look-for/head-shape-deformities/

http://www.starbandkids.com/

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

why the long skull jim

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

somebody get this man some shoes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

SpaceAceJase posted:

Nice! Your Mom still that tight?

I don't know, you'll have to ask her new boyfriend. I think he's a plastics exec or something. He has a gay son. She tells me every time. Because she's going to San Francisco for the wedding, you see, she's so excited! And she's officially progressive because her new boyfriend has a rich waspy gay son

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

rich waspy gay son

please dont out me on the forums

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

bump_fn posted:

why the long skull jim

lol

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UyvGIeXW0

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Jonny 290 posted:

I don't know, you'll have to ask her new boyfriend. I think he's a plastics exec or something. He has a gay son. She tells me every time. Because she's going to San Francisco for the wedding, you see, she's so excited! And she's officially progressive because her new boyfriend has a rich waspy gay son

Lol at this post

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
I have to explain to the normies I know that have regular jobs that all the poo poo on that show is legit wacky software day to day culture and not hyperbole. I show them pictures of the all-you-can-eat cereal bar and ball pit and kegs, etc we have at work that is ridiculous and articles about things they parody on the show and articles about the real things they parody as the explanation "everything in this show is painfully legit." It's really bizarre that watching the show with these people reminds me that these workplaces are not normal in the least because I am so used to this poo poo I don't give it a second thought about 5 person conf bikes, etc when I watch it by myself.

I loving love that show.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Agile Vector posted:

its funny because its true

This. And Guilfoyle is best char with OJ (other Jared) as close second IMO.

One of the only things that I was skeptical about in the beginning was the robot island thing Peter Gregory (Peter Thiel) was building but I looked it up and, of course, he was planning to manufacture a robot libertarian fantasy island. I ended up interviewing at Palantir a while back and after being in that office everything about Peter Gregory (Thiel) made perfect sense after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i've never worked in silicon valley, but the show is accurate as a parody of tech culture at large

i know a person that i've either worked with or met in a professional setting that matches every single main character on that show, and it's always so weird to me

• Locked thread