Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I gotta be in the mood for a good companion back story dump. It is enough text to burn a good 30-40 minutes and the pacing triggers are astonishingly low. It's like curling up on the couch with a random humble bundle fantasy book. Not that pay anything poo poo tier, I'm talking a solid median or $15 donation humble book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I set the starting difficulty at PotD and I think I can glimpse a preview of that - it seems more babysitting cooldowns and aggro and sticking to a single well-optimised plan than reacting to surprises.
The end of the early game has some surprises, in particular some sort of scout that can teleport a short distance and stun everyone in a rather large area centered on their reappearance point. Those guys were the bane of my existence on my first play-through, but the funny thing is, there is nothing like them later on.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I'm kinda getting a hankering to play this again. Last time I made a wizard who blasted folks and also punched and sometimes clubbed things; this time I'm going to make a wizard who mostly uses weapons. I'm planning on trying to use other party members this time; I don't even think I got the beast lady last time. I also did a rebel path and never saw the library. I don't have the DLC.

Can someone remind me how much athletics and talky skill I need at character creation? Is it still a good idea to just double up lightning or frost in character creation?

Are there any paths that let you do all of the zones? I'm guessing I can go to the library if I don't go there during the prelude, but I don't know for sure.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Anarchist path (choosing the "betray alliance" option at the Vendrien's Well throne room or any point later) lets you visit all four quest zones: each of the others limit you to three out of four.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Idk if it’s been patched since release (it’s come up on the forums) but on the rebel path you have to be careful abt the order in which you turn in quests to the beastwoman chief in the Stone Sea, because you can potentially be blocked off from most of the content in that area. Happened to me on an iron man save, sucked.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The Anarchist path (choosing the "betray alliance" option at the Vendrien's Well throne room or any point later) lets you visit all four quest zones: each of the others limit you to three out of four.

Thanks. That sounds good to me; is this also the one where you don't have to kill that assassinny Mark guy?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yes, he’s the guy who helps you out, mostly bc you amuse him

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Woot I finished the game. Apparently it took me nearly 60 hours; I left it idling a fair amount but even so it's a lot meatier than I was expecting. Ending did feel a bit abrupt, but having the extra companion quests from the DLC definitely helped it feel more full. There were a few oversights (at the big trial, Tunon had dialogue which implied Barik was still in his armour for example) and I was disappointed the ending slides weren't voiced (hopefully this meant they could have lots of different slides since they weren't limited by voice acting) and oh man the whole game is just shot through with typos and spelling errors, but in the end I enjoyed the experience. I'm not sure if it's better than Pillars Of Eternity; it's definitely got a more entertaining story and appealing setting, but the combat is a bit of a drag, and I definitely found myself rolling my eyes at the dialogue a lot more (Can we PLEASE stop writing characters who say poo poo like "kiss my rear end you shitweasel!!").

I'm definitely going to play through it again though, to see how much of an rear end in a top hat I can be when I side with the Scarlet Chorus. Maybe on Easy.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

It did feel a little weird that with high enough conversational skills I could just powerslam my way through most companions' dialog trees in one shot.

Just start out talking to Verse, by the end of it boom level 3 friendship and I'm still on the ridge at the start of the game.

I just started playing this after having picked it up on sale ages ago and did the same thing, which yeah, felt a little weird. Are all the companions like this or is Verse just weirdly overtuned for opinion shifts?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

You can get most of the way through your relationship with Sirin in the conquest phase lol.

It's definitely one of the more poorly implemented bits of the game, and they probably should have had timers or triggers for advancing conversations once you managed to get the reputation needed.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 20, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You can get most of the way through your relationship with Sirin in the conquest phase lol.

It's definitely one of the more poorly implemented bits of the game, and they probably should have had timers or triggers for advancing conversations once you managed to get the reputation needed.

Man forget gates. I dont want my book to tell me no, stop reading.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pillars did it with Durance, every few questions he'll be like enough talking and just shuts you down. It's annoying since it just forces you to drag him around to see all his quest stuff instead of just do it in one sitting then dump him at your keep.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't think you're supposed to go through her entire dialogue tree the moment she joins. PoE had a companion whose quest mainly entailed chatting him up, and he'd shut you down after every two inquiries and make you rest before you could talk again, and people hated that.

On the other hand, two of the late-game companions will basically immediately shoot up to loyalty/fear 3 based on your actions in Conquest Mode and Act 1, and Verse and Barik can hit loyalty 5 if you betray the rebels when they offer to join you, so it doesn't seem the system is supposed to represent a slow build-up of camaraderie.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I liked Durance's delays in PoE. It made talking to him feel a little more organic. Also, it was good characterisation, since he's a curmudgeonly jerk.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The issue with Durance is that he was both plot-locked and also arbitrarily locked behind resting enough times with him.

The sane thing to do is just to have the plot locks which is how most games (e.g. Dragon Age, Mass Effect) do it where after a major story beat or location you can go chat everyone up in your hub and they'll have something new to say even if you never take them anywhere.

In Tyranny there's no locks and party members almost never have anything to say about what you just did behind what they said in the moment, so you just powerslam through everything as soon as you get them for the power boosts they give.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah I thought Durance telling the player to gently caress off after too much talking worked. I'm not a fan of characters wanting to tell you their whole life story and all their daddy issues as soon as you meet them. If you happen to not like him and want to just toss him in the castle first chance you get then I don't really get why you'd care about missing out on his story.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Tyranny also had a thing where you can only get to a certain influence level by talking to them, getting past that did require them to be present for plot decisions so you couldn't quite just max everyone right away.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah I thought Durance telling the player to gently caress off after too much talking worked. I'm not a fan of characters wanting to tell you their whole life story and all their daddy issues as soon as you meet them. If you happen to not like him and want to just toss him in the castle first chance you get then I don't really get why you'd care about missing out on his story.

You might wanna hear his stuff but already be a Priest and not want to cart another one around because you want to play with another class's mechanics.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I prefer short bursts of conversation and character building over info dumps.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It really felt like companion dialogue must have been part of some system that was curtailed or scrapped, I can't think of any other explanation for why 95% of dialogue is available from the jump (beyond, idk, the devs thinking that ppl would be annoyed at talking and want to get back to the combat and plot ASAP?). Maybe they realized that the plot's loyalty / fear gauges didn't work if party influence came out in drips and drabs so they gave you most of your opportunity to influence it very early.

It's a shame because a lot of the companions are very strong conceptually, and the front-loading of their content makes them feel less-there in the setting. That plus I missed Barik's "good" ending on account of being trained to not expect new dialogue from that interface.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Speaking of "being trained", I thought that Obsidian were rather savvy to have their first subversion of their new hyperlink system (the Voice of Nerat hijacking the green ones) happen very early on so that we would always check them out.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've just started playing and got to the point in Act I to choose a side to lead the assault. I know there's a chance to go anarchy and I want to do that, but will I miss out on much going that route? I know in these kind of games every route has stuff the other routes don't have, but I rarely get the chance to play games a second time so I'd like to see as much as possible first time around.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Anarchy actually has the most content of any branch

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Anarchy has the most raw content, but the Chorus and Rebels have a bit more interaction with local factions. I'd go Anarchy if you're sure you'll only do one playthrough.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Anarchy doesn't miss any areas but what's in those areas is cut down. Just play how you want, you're only ever going to see everything with multiple play-throughs so don't worry about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wish there was an alternate path to ghost fighting in the walls tho

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wish there was an alternate path to ghost fighting in the walls tho

Is it the chorus who only have to do one of them? Chorus Best Faction.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Eb makes bane fights very easy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
since this was on sale i've picked it up. Just got lantry in my party. Is there much that matters in terms of building a party like do i need a tank and a healer specifically? i was going to make my character a magic damage dealer

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jose posted:

since this was on sale i've picked it up. Just got lantry in my party. Is there much that matters in terms of building a party like do i need a tank and a healer specifically? i was going to make my character a magic damage dealer

Just increase your Lore as much as you can. Magic is extremely powerful once you get some of the higher cost sigils.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You can get away with no healer as I recall (a lot of people never got Lantry in the first place iirc). Just build the kind of characters you want

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jose posted:

Just exhaust Lantry's dialogue tree to learn the healing sigil, then you can make anybody a healer if you want to.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
How the gently caress do you beat assassin archon guy or voices of nerat? I have to fight one and I’ve just been getting my rear end kicked by both.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've got the thing so i can respec whenever i want now. Are athletics/subterfuge actually important on any party characters or can i stick everything into parry/dodge on the characters who don't need lore?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Every character needs Lore, EVERYONE, or at least until you can give them a healing spell. Once you're done there, I think yeah, you can go into dodge/parry, though you should try finessing your tactics so that a character only needs one or the other.

EDIT: It's been quite a while since I've last played, though, so I might be a little rusty.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Parry and Dodge basically take care of themselves.
Just max Lore on everyone at all times, because between the spells and the various characters' specials you'll rarely be doing regular attacks at most difficulty levels.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Kinda want to replay Tyranny but Obsidian broke EVERYTHING about my build (2h riposter who dipped mostly into Magic for the lashes) lol

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

derra posted:

Kinda want to replay Tyranny but Obsidian broke EVERYTHING about my build (2h riposter who dipped mostly into Magic for the lashes) lol

The nice things about replays is you can *gasp* try something different!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

Parry and Dodge basically take care of themselves.
Just max Lore on everyone at all times, because between the spells and the various characters' specials you'll rarely be doing regular attacks at most difficulty levels.

how well does the AI handle every character having spells? I don't mind doing this but i'm playing on normal and don't want to have to pause the game a million times to change character and cast spells because they don't use them otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The AI will use healing spells if they have them and if they need to. They won't use buffs or most attack spells consistently.

• Locked thread