Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

GreatGreen posted:

I wonder if the entire concept of "character level," as in a single number that defines how advanced your character is, at least in games with open character development systems like this, is simply an incompatible concept from the beginning.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Its especially bad when your game is balanced around some kind of max level, which means you just feel gimped up til that point. I'm not smart enough to come up with a way to feel like you're progressing. Maybe a way to augment items, ala Dark Souls? Then your "level" is tied to your weapon, which seems like a much easier way to balance a game. Its why Dark Souls always feels perfect at the beginning until you start gaining too many or not enough levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Really surprised nobody brought up Dark Souls. It's designed that it can be beaten by a level 1 character with no weapons. It makes the whole game feel like a way more balanced experience. Contrast to other RPGs where they design a fight to be tough for someone at level 4, but if you're being optimal at all you're probably level 6 and the fight is a cakewalk. The worst "RPG"esque system I've seen in a game lately is Saints Row 3 and 4. The guns in that game can be upgraded, but until they are fully upgraded they might as well be peashooters. It's clear that they designed the game around the fully upgraded weapons so up until that point you're just gimped as gently caress. I thought it was lame that I had to basically "grind" out the money to get to the point where I'm finally "ready to start playing for real" to paraphrase something Lt Danger was talking about.

Furism posted:

They also say that if you can't create art you become an art critic.

What Lt. Danger does though is called "armchair game designing." He seems to criticize games in every. Single. Thread. I see him post in. The gimmick is getting old. I prefered when he did a screenshot LP, the insight was more interesting then.

What Lt. Danger does though is called "proper use of a discussion forum". The guys in the Paragon Chat thread giving the City of Titans dude poo poo for not having more to show and suggesting that he is stupid for not showing these things, that's armchair game design. Lt. Danger is just pointing out flaws in game systems and talking about them, aka a discussion. None of his opinions are even controversial, it's a bog standard opinion if you've read about and played Elder Scrolls games. Nothing he said was wrong. I felt his explanations were a bit grognardy but its basically impossible to not be grognardy when you're typing out an explanation of game mechanics and their flaws as if it were a thesis paper.

Plus ropekid reads this poo poo. He's always willing to talk about game mechanics, why they work and why they don't work. Maybe Lt Danger's posts can give him something to ponder on, give him an idea or two. Goon opinions have shaped New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity and made them better games.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 11, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Samuel Clemens posted:

Dark Souls can be beaten at level 1, but I'm not sure if that's such a unique feature. Low level challenges have been around in RPGs for decades; even PoE can be beaten without ever levelling up if you know what you're doing.

Yeah but the difference is that all of Dark Souls was designed and balanced around overcoming absolutely any obstacle with just the proper application of player skill and game mechanics. There's no cheesing or exploits required, I'm pretty sure people have beaten Dark Souls with the Donkey Kong Bongo Drums without ever getting hit. Have there been other examples of games having the design goal of being beatable by a level 1 character? I thought it was mostly just an emergent gameplay type thing. Either way its basically

Charlie Bobson posted:

I like getting super strong in videogames, especially when I feel like I'm beating the system by doing so.

The best feeling in games though is when you feel super strong, but still feel like you're just getting through by the skin of your teeth.

I hope Tyranny delivers this incredibly specific game experience.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The imperial storyline wasn't good because if the actual writing necessarily, but because its one of the only ones that have different outcomes. There's like four different endings, including one where you were a double agent for the Republic the entire time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Are you saying the Infinity Engine style is ugly? Or that it's incapable of creating exotic locales?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Basic Chunnel posted:

They're in a weird spot because even if Tyranny isn't being sold as a throwback the way PoE was, it still kind of is, and it's obviously not benefiting from Kickstarter hype.

Still feel like they could have made Icewind Dale comparisons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Beefeater1980 posted:

A big part of making it replayable, which is a stated goal, will be removing the busywork at the start of the game. I'm thinking Jon Irenicus's dungeon, the start of Skyrim and the ruins at Cilant Glas (sp?) in Pillars.

I've often wondered why games don't offer the chance to skip those by default on second and subsequent playthroughs.

Well at least with Pillars there's different outcomes based on some of the stuff you do. Like I thought it was cool that you could just kill everyone at the camp yourself if you wanted. But yeah once you got to the ruins there should have been a second path that opens on every playthrough that isn't the first, and then offers the original path as a tutorial. Irenicus's Dungeon is hard as gently caress if you're trying to play BG2 with Sword Coast Strategems. One of the things SCS does is make it so you can only rest once the entire dungeon, which is just insane. But then when you look online people talk about it like it's easy as hell.

• Locked thread