Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Alright, I'm trying to break free of restartitis.

Let's say I'm considering the "gently caress all y'all factions/rebels" route because everyone's being assholes. I still have to pick one of the three for act 1. Is there anyone I should/should not pick to this end or can I just pick one and go for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, I've been playing the scarlet route through the blade sea and it's just baffling to me that there was no room for compromise as an independent but when acting on behalf of the Chorus they are completely willing to join up.

I guess I'm not 100% on this chorus vs independent thing, is that siding with the rebel dudes?

I'm trying to kill this restartitis, but I hear there's some path-locking involved, so I want to be extra sure I know what I'm doing here.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Urthor posted:

Independant means clicking the betray alliance button at any point. Basically it means you go "independant," which means anarchist, which means every time you walk into a new map every NPC is hostile and you need to kill everything.

Rebel is siding with the rebels

Cool, maybe I'll just rebel then. I'd like for there to be someone I am not stabbing, after all. Need minions!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Kinda disappointed I can't go to all three places as a rebel. Might have helped the length out a bit.

Question about anarchy. So WHO ARE YOUR MEN? Like you betray everyone and kill everyone and sit around in an empty tower?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CommissarMega posted:

Did you try talking to her? I've found that I can easily get my companions' loyalty up to 3 or so just by exhausting all their dialogue options as soon as I meet them.

She was the exception to this for me.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

I don't know about every route, but at least on the rebel route, it is absolutely presented as a meaningful choice - you choose which potential group of rebels to recruit to your cause and are warned at each decision that things might change on the ground at any time so who knows if you'll still be able to recruit someone else later. Missing out on one of the areas/recruits gives some weight to that decision and leaves something to be seen next time, the same way that visiting somewhere else in the conquest or choosing a different faction to side with does - I missed out on the Stone Sea last time, so my next playthrough will go to Azure in the Conquest then do whatever's there in the main campaign.

Man you'd think the fact that the game is named Tyranny and the tagline is "evil wins" would be enough of a hint. It'd undermine the central conceit of the game if Kyros was anything less than capital-E Evil.

The game's just kinda short, and it seems like actually being able to go to all the locations would help, even if it was only because you made the exact right decision to allow it to be possible. Or maybe you can get everywhere but not end all the edicts unless you do it just right? Maybe whichever group you get to last turns out to be decimated and you end up only able to recruit like the characters who give sidequests and the lead guy. The method of gating does feel artificial to me.

Gorelab posted:

Is there any way to break the Edict of Storms as a rebel Without killing the child and the mother? It feels silly that the Unbroken guy won't let you spend a little while figuring out how to let them live

You can also find the solution written down in the Burning Library.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Also using Sirin to end the Edict of Storm is by far the most cruel and awful thing you can do in this game.

Can I ask for some spoilers about this? I didn't see anything like this.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So is there any benefit to doing the Edict of Stone yourself and picking the outcomes? In Conquest, I mean. For example, if you do the Library, you can give the mages time to escape which opens up an area. (I assume it isn't open if you don't even do the library?)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

loving, this! I gave Barik spectral blur so he could parry better, and he just kept disengaging to cast it on the back line whenever archers would target them.

Has he got enough lore to cast spells with pride sigils?

Give him punch spells, namely the vampiric one. Works much better with his AI.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

Well I just think in this game it's done at times and in ways that are kind of really bad, and from what I understand I haven't even gotten to the worst of it yet.

Like I said, I "chose" the Chorus because they're expendable shitstains and Kyros needs elite Disfavored to stay alive. That seems like it's pretty consistent with the design and setting of the game. Are you really defending that Obsidian decided to use that choice - without any consideration for anything else you've done in Act 1 - to make me the supreme trusted ally of the Chorus and reset me back to literally zero Favor with the Disfavored? Sure, reset me to zero Favor with Graven Ashe, that makes sense, but what about all the Disfavored I've been nice to up to then?

Yeah yeah I know "Graven Ashe IS the Disfavored" but that's weak.

Nerat ate his son's brain. It is a fate worse than death. You are allying with the guy who ate his son. He's the guy all the Disfavored super love to the point where his caring about them heals mortal wounds. You are allying with the guy who ate their super beloved commander's son.

It's not that weak, it makes total sense.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Okay WHERE THE gently caress is the Hound's Hide Mantle? I have been literally everywhere, where is this hiding?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kontradaz posted:

Too bad she got that helmet and sucks in any combat situation so bad that I used her for one encounter and then permanently retired her.

Using things for one encounter at the lowest level is no way to judge anything, especially not mages in a game like this.

Also, you can upgrade her hat.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Basic Chunnel posted:

You definitely need to have an artifact equipped to swap it with the silent archive

No, just in your inventory. I had the bow in my inventory and not equipped when I did it, although one of my people had previously equipped the bow.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eddain posted:

I ran into a bug with the Acalia quest. She wanted me to copy 3 runes from the Twin Rivers oldwall, which I did, and when I turned them in she mentioned something about Heiro's research (which I already helped him complete and he gave me a copy of his notes). I gave her his notes and she said something about needing a moment to see if her experiment worked. And then when I click on her again it repeats the entire dialogue chain, but when I try to give her Heiro's notes again it just closes the dialogue and nothing happens.

Dolash posted:

I think the "language of the ancients" quest with Acalia is bugged. I recruited the sages after recruiting Stalwart, so I'd already talked to Hieronymous and gotten the stones of elucidation. So, after getting the Oldwall rubbings from Lethic's Crossing I handed Acalia the stones immediately and now the quest won't resolve - when I talk to her again she asks me to get the stones, I can tell her I've got the stones again and the dialogue just ends.

Same thing for me. Did Heiro's stuff first, Acalia second, bug.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Game just patched. No idea what it did!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kontradaz posted:

She had some weak rear end songs and her dps sucked compared to barik /kis, and lantry is my wizard bro so wasn't going to let him go.

So a support class is a class that supports other classes...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Transmetropolitan posted:

Independent run question: Why Bleden Mark is all chummy with you?

This isn't concrete, but... I have the suspicion that he's not a fan of the Overlord. The closest he came to admitting to me why he was interested in my success was something vague about settling old scores.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

Here's what you're missing:

A) Sirin doesn't need to DO anything to provide those buffs or damage. She can cast equally well as Eb while constantly generating free damage in an AoE just by existing. If you run Rapid Tempo she cycles through stanzas even faster doing even more damage.

B) At level 13 she can run double songs to either run Glory for defense AND offense or Rivers Run Red+Bane for maximum murder.

C) Her Arias from War are all excellent CC/bonus damage and the Capstone basically summons a clone of Verse.

Sirin is objectively one of the strongest party members in the game and should be in every party that is trying to be even vaguely efficient.

And having more than one mage isn't a hindrance or anything, so Lantry and Sirin can exist in a party at the same time. It works quite well, in fact.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kontradaz posted:

But my main was a mage so like LOL god forbid I don't want to mix-max everything like the regular grognard.

There's a difference between min-maxing like "the regular grognard" and "sucks in any combat situation so bad that I permanently retired her." A vast one.

Also, you can run an all-mage party, it doesn't even matter. You can run a mage who uses swords and armor. Do whatever, be free

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 18, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone was wondering, the latest patch did not fix the thing where you can't finish Language of the Ancients if you already did the thing for Heironymous before getting it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Oblivious posted:

I will never understand why people attempt to shift goal posts in an environment where there is documentary evidence of what your original claim actually was.

Kontradaz posted:

No idea what this means.

You guys should swap names.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kontradaz posted:

Can't really be factually right or wrong in a convo about party preferences lol.

Now you're just being willfully obtuse. The conversation was about Sirin's usefulness. You said she had none. People told you her use. The only reason party composition came up was that you mentioned you didn't want to let Lantry go.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

ah ok, thanks

how on earth do you incorporate her when by the time you get her, every one of her relevant skills is half that of lantry's

So I did something possibly stupid because this does bother me.

I saved up all my magic scrolls until after I had all the magic users, put them in a party with me, and then used them all at once. When I got more, I'd save them until I got back to a tower and could pull the swap. My magic wasn't great in act 1, but everyone's lore was at least fine in act 2! Lantry's still better, but the difference wasn't as awful and Sirin's passive abilities made up the difference in usefulness easily.

I think you can train people's skills through trainers, but I don't really like how it works so I never really used it except for me. Five per level would be alright, but it should really STACK if you don't use the last level's five.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

babypolis posted:

How do I get a lore teacher for my spire. Im getting all these levels and no lore skill training, its very sad

Also leveling is definetely really hosed up in this game. In the time it took Eb to gain two levels while in the party, Lantry gained 4 levels while outside the party. Also why the hell does Lantry get so many more lore skill gains than anyone else

I kept Lantry in my party basically the whole game and he ended up five levels lower than me.

So tower gets XP faster but party gets skill gains. Doesn't work GREAT.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah, I love that the rebels are all,
"We pride ourselves on not torturing or executing our prisoners!" :downs:
"Oh, you're going to kick a prisoner off your new spire? Oh okay." :ohdear:

It's the Fifth Eye, he probably deserved it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Servetus posted:

I've been trying to figure out the "A Widow's Revenge" Quest, Rebels path.

So I've talked to Sandro and gotten his side of the story, then I can go back to confront Deya. Their is no option to expose her crime, either I take the payoff and let her go or I kill her without exposing her and takes 4 bars of Wrath with Lethian's Crossing. I've tried talking to everyone in the town to find a way to resolve the quest that isn't murder in the street or taking a bribe to let a murderer go free.

You have figured it out. It is one of the quests I generally have a problem with.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Malek posted:

This wasn't an option. He wanted an answer then and now, I could only do that after I betrayed the alliance.

The more I'm seeing this it looks like because I didn't investigate the library (almost out of sequence) that I got screwed here. I'm not sure how I would've known to go there logically.

You can go to Tunon's court and ask around, too. Just tell her BRB.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'm in a weird spot with this game because I thought it was fun enough to make decisions but I felt like I got the ending I wanted, and now I don't have the patience to replay it even though the meat of my playthrough was riddled with quest bugs. I find the combat boring, I already made a mage and none of the other class archetypes are interesting to me, and I feel like there's barely anything that I haven't already learned about the setting. There are no companions to pal around with because the 15-minute lumps of dialogue you get when you first speak with them are almost their entirety of content.

I suppose I could start another game and go a different route, but why would I? The factions are the same from when you meet them to when you defeat them and I wasn't champing at the bit to finally play a stormtrooper or a chromed war boy in the first place. Plus I don't know when I'll run into more content-extracting quest bugs and unmarked gates.

What would really make the game appealing to me again is the option of subjugating ALL the Archons, but I'm not sure that's even possible. The Act 1 choice seems to determine it, as it does most things in the game.

Man, Kyros couldn't get them to play nice, what makes you think you can? Graven Ashe and Voices of Nerat flat-out want each other dead. Nerat ate his son, that's not something you play nice over.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

The only one I felt was especially missing was Graven Ashe on the rebel route, since he was once a rebel and it's only Kyros's whip that's forcing his people to invade their southern neighbours. I guess I could maybe see Nerat on the rebel route if you wanted him, since the way you take him over in the Scarlet Chorus route sounds like something anyone could do. Basically I just wish they hadn't locked recruiting the other Archons to just their routes and also had the "trial" mechanic where you convict one of them actually mean something apart from going to kill someone you had to kill anyway.

I have to agree with people saying you shouldn't be able to get Ashe and Nerat on the same route, though. The two weren't willing to work together with a literal execution order floating over their heads, there's nothing new you can bring to the table that'd get them to cooperate. Maybe make it so that whichever one you convict is recruitable (since they're now an outlaw from Kyros's Empire) while the other one goes Kyros-loyalist and fights you? It'd be neat to have a motivation to actually collect evidence against the Archon you like better.

Yeah, this is fair. Although it would require some early on rewriting because currently you have to directly betray both sides to pick the rebels.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

so for an independent run, what is the proper order of things/what traps do i need to look out for in order to not get locked out of content?

There sorta aren't any on purpose, but there is a bug. Do not do Heironymous's quest before you do the one for the sage who later wants his notes. It doesn't complete properly.

There also is one with the shield, show it to the beast people before Bleden Mark. I forget if that's been fixed or not, but do it that way just in case.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think someone mentioned earlier that picking the Bronze Brotherhood means that you can't break the edict of stone even if you choose to go to the stone sea over the Burning Library. Not sure what you miss out on if you go Forge-bound though.

This is the wrong way around, from what I recall. One of the Forgebound knows someone in the earthshakers, right? So you walk in as bros.

I am good at spoiler tags.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 22, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think you might've just read it wrong actually. Or I'm misunderstanding?

It makes sense because the Forgebound are connected to the Disfavored and the Bronze Brotherhood are secretly working for the Voices of Nerat.

I guess it could be the other way around, but I could have sworn that's what they said. And ending the edict required stopping the Earthshakers, so that would require betraying them. Not a problem unless you are friends with them.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

The game certainly does a fair number of novel things on the gender front, especially for a fantasy setting since that's normally an easy out, although it's pretty low-key about it rather than making it a big deal. It took me a while to notice the majority of the companions were women, and the Tiers having the custom of women owning land but men owning ships (and the nobility ignoring this when convenient) was neat without being all :biotruths: about it.

It was also funny when Kills gets the party to play gently caress-marry-kill (RIP rear end Gang) and made me wish the party did more bonding. You can ask each companion what they think about the others and they all pretty much hate each other, and that doesn't really change or develop, so even if you're on the good guy rebel help everyone path you can't really make them a team so much as a collection of weirdos following you for their own reasons. Even the one interesting dynamic with Barik and Verse being half-siblings doesn't go very far apart from learning about it and unlocking a combo move, when it presented a perfect avenue for both characters' development.

In one case, Barik goes catatonic if you kill Graven Ashe. Verse gets all worried and tries to help snap him out of it. For me, she succeeded. :3 Also, when Graven Ashe says to kill Verse, Barik can't bring himself to say no outright because he's basically a golem with very little will of his own, but he looks at you really pleadingly. Also, they casually snipe at each other in conversation. I liked it, though I did want more.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dolash posted:

Wait, you had Verse snap Barik out of it? I also killed Ashe and he went catatonic, but while Verse said "hey c'mon buck up big guy" he just shrugged. The ending slide said he followed for a while longer out of habit before wandering off, finding a crossroad to stand at and rusting solid. Did you get a better ending?

Don't you make me replay Act 3 just to give Barik a happier slide. Because I will.

Well yeah, that time, but if you specifically go and talk to Verse about it afterward, she gives you a suggestion that did work for me.

He did get a much happier ending than that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

I gave the tidecasters to Nerat and didn't get an Emotion sigil! In fact so far I've not had it in either of my games.

When you go to Tunon's court, talk to the random Chorus dude in there. I think he gave it to me when I fed the tidecasters to Nerat.

Edit: Whoops, beaten

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Samuel Clemens posted:

But the thing is, PoE's combat on PotD was genuinely fun, partly because they did away with pre-buffing. I just don't understand why they felt the need to bring it back.

Not that I play on PotD, but not being able to pre-buff just made buffing never seem worth it to me. Oh, I can buff against stuff, but only after they have seen me and already affected me, great.

GlyphGryph posted:

Heres the thing I dont get - if your are going to do prebuffing, why not save us all some time and assume everyone is buffed with at least the renewables the moment combat starts? Basically just have any buff equipped on any character just... is assumed to be cast. Make it effortless and assumed, and the player only has to worry about when to renew them.

I don't think I've literally ever seen a game do that.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cape Cod Crab Chip posted:

Oh, how fantastic, I just ran into my first game-breaking, or rather, game-ruining bug. I took Vellum Citadel in Conquest, made sure to select the option that gave the Sages time to run... and the area with the Banner of Ardent is not there. Fantastic, just... loving fantastic.

It wasn't there the first time I went. It was there after I ended the edict and left and came back.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fruits of the sea posted:

The *worst* ending for Barik is pretty great fyi.

Honestly, I kinda like working out a decent ending for him. No, not the one on his boss's side. I just like his relationship with Verse somehow being heartwarming despite it all.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

H13 posted:

Yeah, once you drop whatever quest you were currently working on...

noooo? You can instantly teleport between them at any time, it's not quest-dependent.

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, the Rebel path is great because it really ends up being the "You know what. You two are really loving bad leaders. This IS your fault. I'm not dying with you, I'm doing this my way."

Anarchist is also good, but Anarchist has a lot of odd entry problems ( WHY WOULD I TURN ON MY ALLIES IN PART 1. WHY WOULD I TURN ON THEM LIKE THAT IN PART 2. OBSIDIAN. )

Because they're dicks and everyone's an obvious disaster!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Phlegmish posted:

Honestly, I naturally gravitated towards the Disfavored as well during my playthrough. The game tries to set them up as evil by constantly pointing out how discriminatory they are towards the natives and referencing their methodical ruthlessness, and they are, but I still preferred them over the Scarlet Fury, who are basically the fantasy equivalent of one of those Congolese militias or a Mexican cartel.

The Disfavored are still dicks who want to kill goddamn everyone they encounter who's not them, but at least they're nice to each other.

• Locked thread