Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So hey, this game has javelins, that's pretty cool! Is making a dual-wielding javelin gladiator a viable choice at all? Opening by chucking a spear and then running up and poking people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sad to hear. Tyranny is my my favourite rpg in quite a while. It's really nice to see Obsidian innovating with smaller projects.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm making my way through Act 2 on hard without guarded force and it's doable. I gather the merchant in the first area sells it? I didn't buy anything at that point since I didn't yet have an understanding of how the the magic system worked. The difficulty level is fine so far, with the really challenging fights taking a couple of reloads before I can squeak through with only a couple of wounds. I can see my biggest barrier becoming a lack of AoE CC. Once I can get Lantry freezing/stunning/tripping people in a cone it should be cool.

Managing aggro is a lot more labour intensive than it was in PoE and I'm not sure if it's because there are much fewer chokepoints or mobs are just less cooperative. Barik has quite a few ways of regaining aggro and Verse has some nice tricks for unsticking people from Lantry though. Combat in general is a lot less static than in PoE, my lightly armoured main and Verse spend a lot of time manouevring behind the enemy line targeting archers and casters.

Edit: the combo abilities are cool as gently caress.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 8, 2016

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Can I just say it's a little macabre how all the chorus gauntlets collected appear to be severed arms

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Finished the game. The 3rd act was definitely rushed. I wish the the archons or Kyros had a little bit more agency to gently caress with the Fatebinder's plans, instead of patiently waiting for the PC to roll by and resolve the plot. The final trial was a lot of fun though. I could almost hear Tunon's brain breaking when I turned up up all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ , having resolved every conflict in the area by killing both archons and the Vendrien guard. Sort of like being declared innocent on account of a divide by zero error.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You get plenty of options to switch to the Anarchist path later, too. It seems a bit of an odd choice at the end of Act 1, I'll grant.

I tried turning to the Anarchist path halfway through act 2 and was dumped seemingly into the middle of a quest chain to find some magical gewgaw in Stalwart. It didn't make much sense for my character to sudenly hare off in search of a macguffin when they were busy crushing rebels, so I reloaded and resigned myself to postponing the reckoning with my boss Nerat. From that experience I would recommend switching as early as possible in order not to mess up the plot too much.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The ending is fine, it just could have benefited from more content. I do think it's a little odd that Bleden Mark doesn't intervene until it's far too late, and one would expect Nerat to backstab the Fatebinder once they get uppity as well. It's clear that they did the best they could with the budget available though.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Playing a hybrid spellcaster is easy and powerful. You can give every character some spells by the end of the game. Buffs in particular.

It's pretty hard to reach the level cap. I think most people end the game around level 18. That's still enough to get to the end of one talent tree and invest in several others.

Edit: Lore, Athletics and Subterfuge are used in conversation and challenge checks. Investing in them is nice but they also increase very quickly on their own.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 25, 2016

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There aren't as many lore dumps, and the ones that are there are directly relevant to stuff in the game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm surprised you thought Pillars writing was pretentious, but enjoyed Planescape: Torment.

The wise-cracking skull trying to bone zombies is a good counterbalance. :hb:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wear light armour, choose the combat tree of your choice, get the force sigil for haste and one of the elemental sigils so you can eventually turn your melee attacks into X-flavour penetrating beams that cross the battlefield.

Dual wielding is pretty good. With Hundred Fists, Charge and Whirlwind my PC was absolutely devastating.

It's worth dipping into the Power tree for every melee class, just to add armour penetration to thrust and get Palm Strike for disabling casters.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

andrew smash posted:

I know that. It's clearly workable given that i'm clearing POTD without much trouble, but having to drag rear end around the battlefield and wait for a passive pulse to hit things with your taunt aura is awkward. You also have no way to peel a specific mob off of somebody other than the taunt aura with the MC. I haven't tried dodge tanking with verse but it seems more elegant, she naturally attracts aggro with low armor and has a targeted taunt for emergencies.

Verse is actually a great off-tank even if you spec her for dps. Pig on a Spit and Gravedigger are both good for peeling attackers off squishy pcs, and the ability that lets her sprint without being engaged means she can aid anybody.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The choices you make in the prologue do affect a lot of different things in the game, but you can choose to switch sides or betray them at multiple points in the game. No matter which path you take, there will be some unique content and some locked away. There are more than 2 paths.

You get perks both for building fear and respect (I forget what exactly they are called) with party members and factions. More importantly, they are on seperate scales, so building fear with a faction, doesn't cancel out their respect for you. Of course some choices will affect both scales where it's logical.

Basically, this means you don't have to go full light or dark side like in KOTOR/Mass Effect/etc. Do whatever the gently caress you want, you are the Fatebinder.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tyranny is one of a very few rpgs (Fallout and....?) where killing hundreds of people actually makes total sense when put in context with the world and the PC's spoken intentions. Even then, there are a lot of opportunities to be merciful or shortcut combat, although they don't always succeed.

I understand pushing for alternative solutions to combat, but this seems like an odd place to start.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

This is the opposite of what I want though. Tyranny already has plenty of ways for the narrative and dialogue to affect combat.

It's the lack of any similar effect in the other direction that's annoying.

I want my fights to feel like they actually matter to what happens in the game at large, instead of how much player time it takes to get there.

Ok, so here's something that fits Tyranny's theme - Make some abilities that are unnecessarily brutal executions and/or horrifying magical torture. They shouldn't provide a mechanical advantage. Quite the opposite, being particularly sadistic is a disadvantage mechanically, just like trying to capture people through non-lethal means would be more of a challenge. Roleplaying through war crimes! :v:

On a less evil note, the Fire Emblem series has a mechanic where npcs develop friendships as well as abilities to help each other out based on how much time they spend fighting in close proximity. I think. I read this on the internet somewhere and it sounded cool.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 8, 2017

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Wit reduces all ability cooldowns, right? Not just spells?

It does, wit works with any build.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm getting chronic reroll syndrome.

Is there any real purpose to dual wield over a two-hander?

It's cool? Also apart from dual-wielding, the agility tree has hundred fists, whirlwind and charge, all of which are ridiculously good. It's probably not worth the bother if you want to invest heavily in magic as well though.

Regarding magic schools:
Force is amazing because it gives you the haste buff.
The bane are resistant to most damage types except cold, so you will want someone casting cold spells throughout the game. Rimespike does excellent single-target damage too, which should tide you over until you get...
Lightning. Some nice AoE damage spells and a lot of them stun, so they double as crowd control.
The sigil of illusion is very good for protecting weaker characters with mirror image and spectral blur.

Otherwise pick whatever, just about any spell can be made powerfiul with the right accent sigils.

An honourable mention goes to Sigil of Volcanic Weapon which turns every melee attack into a beam attack that crosses the entire screen. Use whirlwind in the middle of a crowd and watch everything explode.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

yeah, I guess the entire over-arching plot is difficult for me to wrap my head around. the whole game is presented with "What if EVIL already won?" and the main antagonist, Kyros, is presented as a being of unlimited power. if she's this unstoppable, omnipotent being, what does it even matter whether or not she has another opponent to face? we're told she already broke the wills of the most powerful archons, so we have no reason to doubt she couldn't so the same again.

Kyros probably isn't as all-powerful as she/he/it appears. Sirin certainly hints at that. The history of archons emerging and either being annihilated or joining Tunon poses them as a pretty clear threat.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I think we've been speculating about this earlier in the thread, but one of the proposed theories I've seen is that Kyros actually wanted you to claim the Spires and become her next great nemesis because being in a state of constant warfare is beneficial to an autocratic regime.

That's an interesting idea that I'd like to see fleshed out in a proper third act or sequel.
I assumed that Kyros intended for the fatebinder to topple Nerat or Ashen Grave before they started a proper civil war, and the claiming of the spires was a miscalculation.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 13, 2017

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

edit: like those old "expansions" for the original star craft that were non-canon and were basically just someone's Use Map Settings maps compiled on one CD.

Bootleg Starcraft sounds neat. Does this exist somewhere online?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It's a small rtwp game about being the bad guy. A niche within a niche.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

X_Toad posted:

Starcraft : Insurrection is what you're searching for.

Wow, ok yeah- I vaguely remember reading the reviews for this in gaming magazines. It doesn't look nearly as cool as "bootleg Starcraft" did in my imagination :smith:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The game got a pretty good reception. Reviews are a little more down to earth now that the initial jubilation over projects like PoE and Wasteland 2 even existing is over.

Ornamented Death posted:

I don't know guys, when I google "Tyranny" all but one of the results on the first page are about the game and there's a giant sidebar about it.

It wasn't like that at release but yeah, very easy to google now.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

2) I have to rewrite my spell book on every level up AND manually make sure to lore train every single level.

Want to gently caress with spells even more? :v:

Buff lore as much as possible before redoing the spellbook. The spells remain castable even if you don't fulfill the lore requirement.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My attitude (also being a queenslayer) was basically "gently caress these provincials and their queen, all glory to Kyros". The sociopolitical context wasn't particularly interesting or important to my ex-pit-fighter, who saw a chance to play the heel for the biggest audience ever.

That's a role-playing trait specific to my character though. The conquest mechanic encourages the player to fill in the blanks as to what was actually going on.Tyranny is actually really light on lore compared to a lot of rpgs. That's probably mostly due to the game's small scope, but not having a history for every nation and character also removes a lot of restrictions on how you roleplay a character.

The opposite was the case in PoE. I was pretty frustrated with PoE when my Darcozzi paladin met Pallegina and the order turned out to be completely different from what I imagined. Of course, I imagine playing through PoE as a priest of Eothas would be really cool for the same reasons, even if the player doesn't get to play as the character they had originally envisioned.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Thanks for the responses guys. One more question, without spoilers if possible. Is it really possible to be a total dick to everyone throughout the whole game, always taking the most fascist and authoritarian option, and being rewarded for it?

Or, in the end are you forced to be a good guy?

The most common complaint is that being nice and merciful to people never works out as intended.
Fascist and authoritarian is a good path but not the only one.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

My take on it is that RTWP allows for variable difficulty and complexity, controlled by the player. You can decide how much or how little you micro-manage. Extremely difficult fights can be broken down into pausing after every action, and easy fights can run on autopilot.

Real time systems are also bug-prone and more difficult to balance in my experience.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Belgian Waffle posted:

I hope they expand on this setting, because it's really cool. It's The Black Company game that I've always wanted.

Huh, I never made the connection but Tyranny does have a similiar vibe. An more grounded rpg exploring the mercenary company's history would be pretty cool.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Well at least it's not horse armor.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Arkanumzilong posted:

I always felt meh about PoE but could never put it into words outside of finding the setting slightly annoying
But you just described exactly what I felt all this time.

I think the game just got smushed under the weight of all the lore and world-building. Weirdly despite all the npc interaction, Pillars' real strength is the combat. It has more in common with Icewind Dale than any of the other touchstones referenced in the Kickstarter. Obsidian has the writing chops to make a dynamic story as evidenced by Tyranny and their older stuff of course.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The *worst* ending for Barik is pretty great fyi.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

They weren't even attempting a cartoonish evil like in Mordor, because that would have made for a dull rpg with little in the way of character development or choice.

The Darkspawn DLC for Dragon Age: Origins is what you're looking for, it's an alternate history where you play as a darkspawn (lotr orc) sieging the capital and killing all the essential npcs. Heavy emphasis on tactical combat, of course.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ZigZag posted:

But the killing should be over (evil won) I just wanna be the orc tasked with rationing rotting man flesh or trying to set up a elf leather boot shop or a single orc mother trying to raise a bunch of kids on a shuttle veterans pension... not another nerd power fantasy ...

Ooookay then.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cool idea, but what it really needs is elf leather lamp shades.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If any of Kyros' provinces were particularly rebellious/subjected to ethnic cleansing/pillaging/starving etc, we likely wouldn't know because an authoritarian government functions by controlling the flow of information.

So a percentage of the empire's population probably does have a secure existence but no doubt some groups are a lot less lucky. The Beastmen for example are basically undergoing a program of genocide and slavery.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jun 11, 2017

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thinking of replaying this as a rules lawyer caster with the new dlc. Anything I should know for spellcasting builds? I forget most everything, except that lore and athletics need boosting at the start.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That's interesting, I never looked closely at magic tree and figured it mostly gave boosts to spells. If lore and spell slots/cooldown reduction are all that's needed I might as well grab a melee weapon and stab chumps in my downtime. Awesome.

Edit: yeah I'll be picking up frost if only to delete the boring parts of the game (the bane).

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

To be fair, remaining loyal to Kyros and actually consistently upholding his/her laws is basically an impossible task for a multitude of reasons. It is a little odd that the betrayal option for Chorus in the Blade Grave is at the very start though. Saving the daughter and ending the edict would definitely be a more sensible spot for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The power curve is a little wonky in Tyranny. It starts off quite challenging and then somewhere in Act 2 (probably after your 2nd or third spire, if playing in potd or hard) the player starts crushing everything.

So I wouldn't worry too much- by the time fights start getting repetitive, your party's power will be snowballing. So feel free to start experimenting with the spell system and character builds.

• Locked thread