Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Picked up Tyranny a while ago, decided to try it out today. I'm creating a character and I'd be interested in advice. Does your history affect anything? I picked Hunter as my background. Which would you consider to be the most effective and fun combination of combat styles? As for attributes /skills - are there any I can treat as dump stats, despite being recommended by the game based on your combat styles? Conversely, any that are absolutely essential and that I should prioritize? Thanks.

e: seems that specific backgrounds give specific skill bonuses, so you can ignore that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Thanks for the tips, guys. Just to be clear, am I better off picking two magic schools as my primary and secondary expertise (I assume Shock and Frost), or should I combine it with a secondary melee expertise? if so, which one? I don't specifically see one-handed in there, I do see Spear and Shield.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So uh, I should probably follow the main quest until I get the Edict lifted, right? It says I have eight days until the Day of Swords, seems tight to mess around with side quests and I don't want to get a game over.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Well, you guys were right and there was more than enough time to finish everything. There just weren't that many side quests in Act I, unless I missed some. Even with resting plenty during the final battle, I still had 4+ days left.

On a related note, ranged enemies are assholes in this game. They keep targeting my casters that are hanging back instead of my frontline fighters. I mean, it's a good tactic, but still. I've learned to target them first, at least they go down easily.

On that note, what are some weapon tips for my fighters (Barik and Verse)? Barik has a Twisted Iron Sword, Verse is still using her starting weapons, often its's not working out for them and I get Weapon Ineffective because of ??? I assume it's related to Armor Penetration. What set-up would you recommend?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So as suggested I bought Mercy, a mace that does crushing damage, for Barik and two high-quality bronze daggers for Verse. Things seem to be going a lot smoother now, combat-wise.

Been meaning to get better armor for Verse, what's the best place for that? I guess I should stick with with light armor.
Same question for magic staves.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Any word on the tooltip bug? It's really annoying.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just finished this game, took me 33 hours. I killed Bleden Mark and the Voices of Nerat and had Tunon and Graven Ashe submit to me before challenging Kyros. The fight against Bleden Mark was really hard, and I only won because Barik was a walking fortress with something like 21 armor. He just chugged health potions and tanked until Bleden Mark died. Even I though I beat him on my first try, I still have to give them a minor thumbs down for putting that fight right after a long-rear end conversation with Tunon.

Really good game, deserves more recognition than it's been getting. Very similar to Pillars of Eternity, that other Obsidian CRPG revival game, but I don't consider that to be a bad thing. Seems like there's only fluff DLC out for it at the moment? Shame.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

As for the fight you're talking about- did you upgrade your weapons and/or armour at your Forge Spire? I managed to get through that fight on the second-hardest difficulty thanks to having almost everyone's important stuff upgraded to Exquisite/Masterwork (selling anything and everything you don't need and buying all the crafting materials/getting the crafting mat hires is essential though). Magic spells, while they've been nerfed recently, are also still very good, so those might help as well.

I fully upgraded all of Barik and Verse's equipment, but didn't have enough hides to get my remaining two characters up to full Masterwork. I didn't even know you could buy crafting materials, I thought your only options were to find it in the game world and wait until your recruits make some for you.

I think I still would have struggled, Bleden Mark is constantly spawning Dark Creatures in all directions, and my two squishy characters have no response to being hit by a million projectiles non-stop. They just go down.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just a reminder that the Pathfinder: Kingmaker Kickstarter is about to enter its final 48 hours, if anyone is interested. Looks like it could be another decent CRPG revival game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

The story and branching choices for this game were above average fantasy rpg fare imo. They created an entire world w/ it's own rules etc etc out of nothing, not easy to do. I really do think the tagline and marketing mislead people, tho I wasn't upset by it and honestly wasn't creaming my pants to rigidly play as an evil rear end in a top hat.

I think the idea of playing as an evil person turned off quite a few people, it's less appealing than you might think. I agree that you're actually more someone who is trying to get poo poo done than outright evil, but maybe that was precisely what some people didn't like. You're not a cackling maniac, it's all too mundane and realistic, to the point that it gets uncomfortable. The Scarlet Fury are basically one of those roving militias in war-stricken African countries that commit the most horrible acts just for fun. At one point, Verse casually talks about how she cut off the legs of a farmer as he watched his fields burn. I remember frowning and going 'what the gently caress?'. Overall I liked the oppressive atmosphere, it was an interesting experience, but I can see why it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Honestly, I naturally gravitated towards the Disfavored as well during my playthrough. The game tries to set them up as evil by constantly pointing out how discriminatory they are towards the natives and referencing their methodical ruthlessness, and they are, but I still preferred them over the Scarlet Fury, who are basically the fantasy equivalent of one of those Congolese militias or a Mexican cartel.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ither posted:

I didn't pick this up when it first came out because of the whole Be Evil tagline.

But I'm craving a new game, so I'm wondering if the tagline is actually true. Do you have to be a bad guy?

You can be more or less amoral rather than outright evil, but some of your companions are definitely evil (Verse in particular). Thing is, don't knock it just for that, that generally oppressive atmosphere is one of the things that make the game interesting.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I think it's going to take some time to see if it's worth it. I'll wait for a goon review.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Mine is 10 give or take a year or so. Plus it's on it's last legs.

Get a new PC there's so much you've been missing out on :pcgaming:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

H13 posted:

The plot couldn't advance without going into Kyros' territory which I assume is the plan for the sequel.

How would they even turn that into an RPG? Seems more fitting as a strategy game at that point. If they ever release a sequel I'm curious as to how they handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Game is good yo, check it out.

Pillars of Eternity and Torment: Tides of Numenera on sale as well.

• Locked thread