Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Riso posted:

I wished the game was simply Diablo combat with the story around it.

Real time with pause combat again. UGH.

I don't know why you expected anything but RT/wP (which I vastly prefer).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I should probably give Bloodlines another playthrough. It's been a hell of a long time since I played it and talk of its voice acting and face animations is reminding me how little I actually remember about it. The only voice that's really coming to mind is that funny bail bond bounty hunter guy for who knows what reason.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Even looking at the upcoming list on steam you have to scroll through like 30 indie shovelware garbage titles before you see Tyranny. If it wasn't for this being mentioned in the Pillars of Eternity thread I wouldn't even know this game exists and I'm a guy who picks up and enjoys most of what Obsidian releases.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

Yes but of course we would much rather convince our friends to buy copies/gift them copies because Obsidian is cool and good and we don't want to pirate from Rope Kid and his friends. :milk:

Yeah but if they don't know the game exists or don't care what developer it's from then they probably weren't going to buy it anyway. Trying it out they might decide that they like it and buy it. Piracy is cool and good.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ZigZag posted:

But the killing should be over (evil won) I just wanna be the orc tasked with rationing rotting man flesh or trying to set up a elf leather boot shop or a single orc mother trying to raise a bunch of kids on a shuttle veterans pension... not another nerd power fantasy ...

So what, a dark version of Recettear?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think the presentation of Kyros' empire feels kinda off in the same way as Caesar's Legion in New Vegas in that in both situations you only see their frontier conquering army rather than the civilization itself. While playing Tyranny Kyros' empire didn't really seem any more evil than the Mongols or Romans or any other historical conquering civilization.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Heck, Pillars of Eternity owns.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I think they just gave all the marketing budget to the guy who wrote "evil wins sometimes" on a napkin and were surprised when he spent it all on hookers and blow.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Kinda wish for NG+ they made it so all the stuff you find is at least exquisite-quality. As it is the starting gear is way better than like 99% of the stuff I find.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
rtwp is Good.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

Yeah, it would have been cool to encounter an actual phalanx. Six Stone Shields and then a couple of Outriders attack you after you're engaged.

Or have fights against the Chorus actually be a horde of desperate slaves with pitchforks backed up by a few badass furies and their off-brand wizards.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Good news is that once you reach Act 3 the game is basically over. Like you might easily have less than an hour of game time left depending on what path you took.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

mormonpartyboat posted:

iirc, every other buff spell is better than the vigor buff spells

Vigor does have that cone spell that buffs damage by a percentage which doesn't seem to override any other buffs and I found quite nice in NG+ POTD but otherwise yeah it's an element that I never really used.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Independent was much more fun after doing a disfavored playthrough. Only thing I didn't like was that you HAVE to choose one of the factions to help you take the spire when they literally don't do anything (I forget how it goes with Disfavored but with with the Chorus you just end up climbing up the wall, killing everyone, and then letting your allies in like what the gently caress is the point). There should be a third option where you walk out of the tent while the generals are arguing and just do it yourself.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

CommissarMega posted:

The Chorus is still more forgiving than the Dishooured, though. It's really only leaders and other such movers and shakers that get the Voices'... special attention. Everyone else at least gets the chance to join the howling horde.

The Dishonoured just kill everyone who isn't willing to prove their outright servility. That being said, I respect professionalism so I side with them every time :unsmigghh:

I wouldn't say that the Chorus is more forgiving. I imagine Nerat would merrily slaughter everyone just like the disfavored if he thought it was a more effective strategy than conscription. And depending on one's outlook being conscripted into the chorus may be a worse fate than simple death.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I haven't really payed any attention to the expansion yet but I notice that the reviews mention more oldwalls and more bane. Ehh.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Count Uvula posted:

I'm p. much the target audience for these games and I didn't buy Tyranny because I've only heard negative comparisons to Pillars gameplay wise :shobon: Was honestly excited to hear if the DLC for this was as good as The White March to finally justify the purchase but it sounds like it's not even close.

Tyranny is definitely worth picking up but man it really feels like the classic Obsidian problem of the publisher just making GBS threads the bed by not giving them the budget, time, QA, or marketing it deserves.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

precision posted:

Tyranny runs perfectly with short load times on our 4-year old HP laptop with onboard graphics. It actually runs significantly better than PoE (not that PoE runs bad but man it has some load times and spell effects can drop the framerate)

Unfortunately I've found that Tyranny has a problem with framerate dropping like a ton of bricks when there are a large number of NPCs onscreen, which is an issue I never witnessed in PoE. The fight against Graven Ashe is particularly unbearable.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Act 3 as independent had a lot more fighting for me at the hub town and a few more quests unlocked. Its not as long as the other acts but significantly longer than the D or SC routes.

Independent act 3 for me was pretty much exactly the same length as Disfavored act 3. Only real difference was in the former I fought Ashe while acquiring Mark as a subject and vice versa for the latter.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Why couldn't it work as an rpg? Just do the usual visit x places to gather allies / gain more power / find Kyros's weakness thing.

I think that the usual RPG affairs would be a bit underwhelming after you've built up your own little kingdom and attained the fantasy equivalent of a nuclear arsenal. It could be cool if the copied the mechanics of the battle of Yenwood Field quest from PoE where a big event is largely handled by way of CYOA screen. If I had to bet though, I'd imagine that a sequel would probably be one of those where you start out having lost everything and you wind up in a dungeon but an old buddy breaks you out.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mondian posted:

During the epilogue they zoom out on a map of the continent and show how miniscule the tiers peninsula is. Even if you make an effort to subjugate all the local violent elements during the game instead of executing them, you wouldn't have much of any army to rebel with. Not to mention the tiers are basically a blasted hellscape whose most prominent feature is a series of ghoulish mass graves.

Not to mention that Kyros has been performing edicts for centuries while you've only just learned that you were capable of it. It's like a small child just learning to read trying to compete with Shakespeare. It would be very easy for a sequel to say "this little rogue state of yours collapsed pretty much instantly and now you're back to square one."

Mymla posted:

I mean I could be wrong, I haven't played the game for a while, but I think the only archons with armies are Graven Ashe, Voices of Nerat and whatsherface the archon of... disease?

It always felt to me like the Disfavored and Chorus were only the vanguard of Kyros' military and that Kyros is totally cool if they get decimated on the frontier because they're impressively incompetent and not at all loyal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Yeah I thought Durance telling the player to gently caress off after too much talking worked. I'm not a fan of characters wanting to tell you their whole life story and all their daddy issues as soon as you meet them. If you happen to not like him and want to just toss him in the castle first chance you get then I don't really get why you'd care about missing out on his story.

• Locked thread