Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The setting pretty much sounds like Brandon Sandersons Mistborn so I am mildly interested in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Is there any good writeup/guide for character creation, I'm kind of overwhelmed.

In particular how many talent trees can I expect to get through in one playthrough, both for the PC and companions? Should I focus or spread talents out? Are hybrid builds (something like javelin + shock magic) viable? Are attributes used in conversations or just the skills?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think you want to play a melee character in this due to the way the xp system works, my ranged guy is 3 levels behind the rest of the party while Barik and Verse level up almost every fight due to actually getting hit. I'm enjoying the combat and skill system itself but would have preferred leveling to just work off xp and points like normal.

Also do other mages ever catch up to Lantry? The free lore he gets from his talent means he's raining destruction on foes all over the map while Eb can barely manage a small fireball.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Looks like you can do only 3 of 4 areas before endgame kicks in? Is that just how it's designed or is there a way to do everything I'm missing? :(

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Just put your starting skills into lore, it's the best skill, plus the other ones will level up enough on their own. As for builds, probably two handed light armor, attributes into might and finesse while sticking to buffing spells.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

So is there an expansion or sequel coming? Just beat this and the ending felt kind of abrupt. I like what they've done here so hope that's not the end, just leaving things unresolved like that.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Are you wearing heavy armor? The recovery penalty basically means you'll swing once then not do much for a while which could be cutting into your damage.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Upgrading heavy armor helps with the penalty a bit, there is also a talent in defense that removes the penalty for a time and also makes you hit twice for the duration. Overall though light armor is just better if you care about optimization.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Give her the talent that makes her dodge for melee attacks and disable her ai so she stops switching from her dodge stance if you want to run her that way.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That's just how it is, unless doing the kill eveyone path you always have to skip one area, it kind of sucks. And yea the ending does feel like it's missing at least two more acts, you don't even get to meet the main bad guy/gal.

Great game otherwise (didn't need the weird skyrim like xp system but w/e...) but really needs a dlc or at least announcement of a sequel imo.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 6, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Pillars had one that did knockdown, don't think anyone bothered with it regardless.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The only marketing for this I remember was that awful grimdark/lolevil quiz they did early on and that actually had me want to give this a pass.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

If you don't out-lawyer Kyros' lawyer, you're playing wrong.

One problem with this approach I had was... why do I even care about upholding the laws of the dude I'm trying to overthrow? Overall I felt like the motivation was all over the place, as if I couldn't quite make up my mind if I'm rebelling against Kyros to free the world from his rule, trying to usurp Kyros so I can rule instead, or actually loyal to Kyros.

Made me feel similar early on when I thought I'm picking options to spare someone, instead had one guy brainwashed, another enlisted to backstab the faction I was trying to join.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 3, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Caufman posted:

Yes, it's a medium-wide problem, how to get the combat and narrative to connect meaningfully.

Imo you just need to make sure both are engaging and fun on their own.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea, sorry all of that sounds kind of unfun and a hassle to be honest. Like maybe a game build around that from the ground up, it could work, but for Tyranny sounds like you just made fights a puzzle about how to finish them "correctly". Like ...oh no, that bouncing fireball just killed the dude I wanted to take alive, or I didn't use enough persuasion spells so he still hate me. Also Verse gets permanently benched because she got a bunch of cool flashy killing moves, but if you want to build up your forces - better drag Sirin along so she can mind control things while the party stands back careful not to hit her targets?

I don't see what you'd get out of this potential system, blowing up or slashing up enemies with big flashy attacks is like half the fun in rpgs and you just put in this weird system that distracts and maybe punishes me for that.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Personally speaking I would have loved to adopt a policy of sparing all the minions and executing all the leaders

An easier way to do it would be to just let you do fights as normal and then decide people's fate after the combat's over though, imo. I don't object to the sparing/capturing people part but to having to do that by using specific spells and abilities during combat rather than just say... click on them after.

The first dishonored is actually a good example against what I mean - you get a ton of cool powers and gear, most of which is lethal, so if you want to stealth/no kill run it you have to actively avoid using the fun stuff.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 7, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That goes back to my original point of "just make the combat itself engaging and fun". Combat should make you go "aw yea, time to kick rear end", if instead its just a roadblock or something you have to slog through to get to the good bits then the game is flawed in its design.

I'd be totally down with more choose your own adventure style rpgs without traditional combat though, its kind of an untapped genre with a lot of potential imo.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 7, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

As a concequemce it's perfectly possible for your nerdy loremaster to avoid every fight in the game, or for your assassin to legitimately fight dirty instead of just having a button you click in combat

Assuming you min max your build and know in advance what to do and what to skip, apparently. Everything I heard about it tells me it's not a good game at all, old school and unforgiving in all the bad ways.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there any good build folks can recommend for a two hander / mage hybrid? It seems like the need for might vs. the need for wit render that split difficult.

Don't actually pick magic at char gen, it only gives you a sigil vs a talent. Other than that, being a mage is mostly about having a lot of lore which you want anyway, though the magic tree does have a pretty nice talent for adding elemental damage to your attacks.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Don't be like me and totally miss the missives menu option on your first playthrough, it lets you discuss these exact points with some scholar in game. They actually echo some of the posts made here.

One pointmade there is that the ban against entering the old walls might actually be a sneaky way to keep people away from the spires without calling attention to their importance.

That one spire not being part of the old walls is somewhat of an anomality itself.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 13, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dunno if PotD would change anything, on hard and disfavored run my PC and Lantry ended up at level 16 with Verse and Barrik at 14.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I had to do a lot of reloading due to things like "spare someone" being interpreted as "do horrible things to them" instead. :(

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What rpgs aren't like that for the most part though? Baldurs gate, dragon age, final fantasy, pretty much all can be boiled down to more or less that.

The challenge mostly comes out from figuring out said optimal strategy, or finding your own that works, with some permutations like using fire against ice enemies or putting up defense against stun when fighting banshees...

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

BG 2 had a system of counters, even if it was mostly buffs.

But since it had prebuffing you would just throw up all of them without thinking about it anyway. :D

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Taear posted:

It is? loving hell, I hate that sort of system. I hate having to buff specifically for each combat.

I think that's a misunderstanding of what they are doing.

Basically... in Poe1, you'd have the Holy Power spell that buffs +2 might, +2 dexterity. In Poe2 you'd have have that spell instead apply the "Mighty" status, which also gives +2 might and +2 dexterity. The point of this is to make the stacking rules more clearer (only one instance of the "Mighty" buff does something, so you don't have to figure out how Holy Power's bonuses would stack with Barbarian Rage bonuses), and to create some counter play where the "Mighty" buff can be removed by casting a spell that causes "Weakness" debuff. This also means that rather than having to cast Protection against Fear to... protect against fear, you can use any ability or spell that applies "Brave" to protect or remove the "Fear" status.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Yea you always miss out on an area unless doing the anarchist path.

Also i almost didn't get this because of their marketting, they had this quiz early on which went something like... someone wrongs you, do you burn them alive / kill their wife / drive them to suicide... basically just really edgy and lol evil. I only got it once i found you don't have to play it like a psychopath.

I think they pretty much both turned off people who thought they wouldn't be into playing vilains, but then also didn't satisfy those who actually wanted to be ones.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Did they announce a sequel? Some dlc is coming but that will be just some extra area you can do whenever.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think the combat system here is alright, there's just nothing that really uses it. Like one monster fight that's kind of challenging, the rest is mostly various combination of fighters and mages.

I think Tyranny could have done with some optional content like PoE's bounties or dragon fights, or maybe just stronger/more interesting boss encounters in general.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I think you are actually supposed to put her in heaviest armor you find and just send into the middle of the fray to do her thing.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 6, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What's so wrong with the speed in poe? I beat it a few times having no idea how speed works beyond the basic that dex makes you act more often, armor makes you act less often.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I suppose "grognards" already answered my follow up question of why any of that would matter. :D

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Also don't remember the last time I actually paid 50 bucks for a game. And yea, making choices in these games is gameplay.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 10, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

I think the idea of playing as an evil person turned off quite a few people, it's less appealing than you might think.

Yea, pretty much only got it once I knew there's a rebel path and you don't have to be evil. The marketing made it seem like not my thing at all, kind of like overlord but played straight.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

They did have that trying to be edgy "someone cuts you off, do you a/ kill him, b/ kill his dog, c / make him kill his dog" quiz.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One thing in their favor is that they could probably be redeemed if the fatebinder takes over. Good luck controling the chorus though.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

He disapproves if you use the various loopholes which I found funny - that's the whole point of being a lawyer!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Turn based to be good needs to go all the way and just make it a strategy game fire emblem or ff tactics style. Combat in wasteland 2 was a slog, Torment's combat was really bad too. Divinity os is another recent one and while that one worked better for me it was seriously hurt by the lack of grid movement/targetting, the shadow run games also mostly pulled it off but even that had some jank and annoyances.

And all of these have the issue of having to sit through the enemy doing their thing way too slowly with no way to react - in fire emblem you can turn it to quick animations or just skip enemy phase entirely and just see the results.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lore is the winning stat in this and he gets a bunch from his talents, so yea. Pretty much required to get the most fun from spell crafting.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

And early on some seemingly good choices like "let prisoner live" actually leave out the bit that ends up meaning "...so that we can torture him some more".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Most people don't finish games so making post game DLC limits the audience. Besides, I miss the days when you'd beat a game and the game would be over.

Tyranny needs an actual ending badly though, it ends just as things get interesting.

• Locked thread