Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Taear posted:

In my combat all I care about is if it starts to drag. PoE did. Even though Shadowrun is turn based which could mean long combats while you wait for the enemy to finish their turn I still didn't get as annoyed with it as I did with PoE combat.

PoE always feels like a game made by the people who post builds in threads thousands of times even when they've finished the game. The people who love to think about every combat and see how they can perfect their approach to it. That person isn't me and I got really bored of it after a while. That isn't to say I couldn't complete it but I just found it a slog, not exciting or novel like a lot of people do.

They patched it to be a little better, but yeah I definitely had a lot more fun with the game on story time difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Actually I had a tonne of fun power gaming in POE on storytime mode.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

I couldn't get into it. Combat wasn't compelling and neither was my blank slate character or his mystical problems. Felt like an AD&D campaign where you're just expected to care about what's going on in the one government building in the one city.

Don't know about combat, but Tyranny seems like it's better placed to have much stronger characterisation for the protagonist with their role in the backstory being much larger.

'You are fantasy Judge Dredd' is also just a much cooler concept than, 'you can read souls and have a past life'.

Also said to be shorter than PoE, which might help pacing and remove a bunch of superfluous combat encounters.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 28, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

PoE's reveal at the end was just dreadful.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It just felt pretty underwhelming. And like Morrowind had done a similar thing, better, earlier.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Which is why it's so underwhelming. It's literally an irrelevant factoid that doesn't really change the dynamic of the story much beyond perhaps how likely you are to listen to their advice on what to do with the souls.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

frajaq posted:

I'm 99% sure that's not how it works anymore, they changed in the second DLC patch I think?

Doesn't that reinforce his point?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

No, I gotta disagree. If the gods are things outside and beyond human experience, sincere belief and worship seems relatively reasonable. If you know that they're just things people made, I don't see that anyone could do so. It cuts the feet out from under them.

The main character's past life literally shows this isn't true though. :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

At the end of the game you find out Thaos made the gods so that all the non-Engwythians would stop fighting religious wars and performing human sacrifice and instead worship the one set of constructed gods. The watcher's past self was told that by whatsherface, but decided to go on believing in the gods despite knowing they were fake and still betrayed her to Thaos to be tortured.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 30, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

2house2fly posted:

The Watcher's past self didn't know they were fake, and betrayed Iovara more out of fear/loyalty to Thaos than belief in the gods. There's a scene at the end where your past self angrily confronts Thaos and asks if the gods are real or not but decides not to pursue it for fear of being killed as a heretic, revealing that the whole reason they're possessing the Watcher is that they're tortured by not knowing one way or the other. When you defeat Thaos you read his soul and get a vision of the gods being created; finally getting confirmation that they're fake lays your past self to rest.

But then anyone the Watcher tells is also not going to know. And will have to take it on faith.

I think you might actually get to choose your past self's motivation, so I guess it depends.

I suppose after talking about it, it's not the worst. It makes it interesting in that empirically minded people would actually be far more likely to continue to believe in gods as there is physical proof of their existence. but I think it could have used a bit of tightening up.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 30, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

It may not be cynical, but it is essentially false in that the reason it suggests cannot possibly be the foundation for genuine belief, only (perhaps) a waypoint while you build one. In Christianity, fortunately or unfortunately, other foundations are possible. For the divinities of the game, I simply don't see that they are - while genuine mythologies tie themselves to the origins of the world and of man, this one only traces back to the culture that created it. It's of more archaeological significance than religious.

Because the only thing tracing it back to this is the watcher, in a world with a bunch of charlatan watchers who act as fortune tellers and spirit mediums. There's still whatever creation stories Thaos and co. created. Why would people who already have a genuine belief just drop it on your say-so?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

It wasn't a major gently caress up though. I haven't played it in ages, but I don't think the courier even put two and two together, which is why Ulysses was particularly obsessed.

Like there's really no reason for the courier to feel guilty on that one. Someone was using the postal service to deliver wmds. Your character doesn't try to commit mail tampering. People die. :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Like I said, PoE mis-stepped, and personally I think spell damage should have been governed by a different stat for that reason- a master mage and a buff barbarian shouldn't be pumping the same stats to be effective. A sneaky assassin wouldn't benefit from "Intimidate" in the same way a buff warrior would anyway, so there'd probably multiple "Intimidate" style skills. If you were designing a game with archetypes like that in mind you'd probably also design the stats for them too, so you could just identify which stats a sneaky assassin would use (maybe Dexterity gives a bonus to stealth, say, or Perception increases crit damage to attacks from behind) and have dialogue options for those.

Isn't that what they specifically designed against? Allowing people to play a buff mage grabbing people by the throat was what they were aiming for. The only problem was that 'buff mage' was a really effective build, so anyone building their character efficiently was having the choice made for them, rather than it being an organic decision.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Samuel Clemens posted:

Might makes a lot more sense when you view it as a reflection of inner strength, similar to the Chinese Qi. Individuals can channel that spiritual power to accomplish superhuman feats. Whether that feat is of physical nature or magic nature is ultimately not important because both acts tap into the same source.

Which is likely what they were going for. The solution is probably just to write more dialogue options that have the same requirements, but differ based on class, so like
[Might]You smash the guys face into the ground.
[Might][Mage]You harness the power of blah blah blah and burn the guys face
[Might][Cipher]You break through his mental defences and search for his most painful memory and bring it to the fore

Probably takes too much time and effort though.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 7, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Isn't that normal?

Like, a different quest for wizards than for rogues is "the game reacting to choices you make during character creation."

The character creation in Tyranny is apparently going to go through what your actions during the war were, and that will affect even stuff like the landscape of a town.

I think they might have shown off a huge chasm dividing a town in two, and it not being there otherwise in one of the previews depending on your choice. They obviously think it's pretty neat, because they're saying that the game is intended to be replayed.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

How 'good' could the bronze age civilisations you're invading be any way.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Nothing more insidious than an overlord with a neckbeard and poor choice in hats.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Count Uvula posted:

Didn't the preview material at some point mention Kyros was a woman?

Yeah,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukitiztvC44&t=45s

I guess she's gender fluid? Or the level designer just wasn't in the loop on character.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Hopefully fuckwits don't get upset and constantly refer to the game without the first y.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Riso posted:

What I am wondering about the story is if you can become the ruler of the entire region.

Be a nice ending to siding with the Rebels. Take them over only to submit to Kyros as an Archon.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

What if the camera's underwater? :smuggo:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

No they're correct, the facial animations in Bloodlines is still way above what RPG games of today have.

I mean they were good, especially for the time, but let's not be hyperbolic. Witcher 3's are just absolutely phenomenal.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Everyone's a secret synth or a tranquil respectively. :colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Drifter posted:

*they start kissing*

"Oh, Kyros!"
"Yesss!"
"..."
"..."
"uhh...hey, Kyros. Umm, are you a-"
"What?"
"You know...where do I put-"
"...what?"
"...well, I mean, are you...Like, do I put- or..., you know, do you put-"
"C'mere. I've got an edict for you."

*screen fades to black*

The mystery remains.

I don't think it does. :pervert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah it's odd isn't it. Almost every bit of promo material talks about how shittily handled evil playthroughs in other games are, and how they're all essentially dumb/chaotic evil. But one of the major factions you can align with seem to be dumb/chaotic evil. I don't think I'll ever bother with a Scarlet Chorus playthrough, if they're written as they seem to be. :shrug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Devil of Caroc is only seen as a sociopath, because she's a woman. There are thousands of tales of revenge with male protagonists who aren't comfortable living in the company of society who aren't treated as evil. :colbert:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Kyros is an ai construct, and the third act will take place on a space station.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

But it looked like it was hopping over a good portion of the map...

The game takes place in the last tiny peninsula of a large continent. The conquest stuff is all happening on that small peninsula.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukitiztvC44&t=42s

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 2, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yes. :ssh:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

GOG says 6 days 4 hours, on the dot.

So Friday 3:00am AEDT

And Thursday 9am PST

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 4, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Pffft, Bernie is clearly part of the followers of the apocalypse.

Failing that he's Joshua Graham, the Berning man.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Knowing Obsidian's luck they've agreed to some awful contract where their bonus is dependent on pre-orders and first day sales.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

A bit easier to pull that off with grand strategy than RPGs though. Changing and introducing new mechanics is easier than producing new story content.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Another thing to consider in GOG vs Steam is currency conversion. Tyranny from GOG was $7 cheaper for me, because they actually use an Australian RRP, rather than the US one converted into Australian dollars.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 7, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Consumables are terrible and exist only so I have things to sell.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Your Lorebarian will have no chance against my Barbrarian.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Even in PoE they had items like the effigies that replenished on rest. Those were the only things I used.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

ZearothK posted:

Nah, I prefer turn-based too. I feel Divinity: Original Sin had the best combat of all recent party RPGs.

I just wish it didn't have the worst, most cringey comic writing that I've seen in years. :negative:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Help! Help! Kyros is initiating force and breaking the NAP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Dishonored 2 releases a day early for those who preordered, why couldn't this have a dumb preorder gimmick like that?

• Locked thread