Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Whoa! That's obviously too far. People on the no-fly list should only be forced to register their location to the authorities as if they were convicted sex offenders.

I don't know about that but gun owners should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

After all don't they want to protect themselves and their property anyway?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Seems like the best way would be to tell criminals that they own guns

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Haha as if they could ever loving shut up about it for a second anyway

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

the rare quad post

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Karl Barks posted:

the rare quad post

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

the common element with all these mass shooters seems to be long-term exposure to america so maybe we should have the cdc look into why being around america makes people crazy as hell

pretty sure mass shootings are just a symptom of late stage capitalism and we're closer to the worker's revolution here than the liberal democracies of Europe with their deaccelerationist policies

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

more like quad brain damage

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Xandu posted:

Depends who they associate with :)

Look, I get the criticism and don't disagree with it. My position is anything that results in fewer people being able to buy guns is a net positive.

Would you be OK with disarming all black Americans? It would get a lot of guns off the street! America has a long history of disarming racial minorities after all. And there's probably still enough whites to get a law like that passed lickety-split!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Yes, so that the Supreme Court packed by Hillary finds that the law is unconstitutional because it unfairly targets a protected class, but in the opinion decides that a civilian-wide gun ban would not be unconstitutional

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

a lot of the same people will also dismiss concerns about watch list racism here then turn around and say free higher education is bad because it's too racist

this is my favorite subforum

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Would you be OK with disarming all black Americans? It would get a lot of guns off the street! America has a long history of disarming racial minorities after all. And there's probably still enough whites to get a law like that passed lickety-split!

this is the entire basis of modern gun control measures, though? why would that be a problem?

G.C. Furr III
Mar 30, 2016

The people must learn, one and all, how to use arms, they must belong, one and all, to the militia which is to replace the police and the standing army. - dat boi lenin

G.C. Furr III
Mar 30, 2016

Obi Wan Kenobi philosophy

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
"It's for the political theatre, it's to embarrass the rep." Don't naively assume you have control of how this is going to be interpreted, especially everywhere. If it on the surface looks bad, but looks worse if you dig deeper, your opponents are just going to dig deeper, then accuse you of being deceptive, which you are. The truth will out, one way or another.

It's like a total inversion of the democrat image of the republicans, where the party lies to them on wedge social issues, gets them angry, to screw then over somewhere else - except it's not abortion, it's guns.

Xandu posted:

Depends who they associate with :)

Look, I get the criticism and don't disagree with it. My position is anything that results in fewer people being able to buy guns is a net positive.
Is it a net positive, though, if it's setting a bad precedent? That seems like a net negative.

Like either you accept the background check concessions, or you make an effort to repeal the 2nd amendment, because you don't think it should be a right. So long as it is a right, you can't undermine it without hurting the other ones.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

rudatron posted:

Is it a net positive, though, if it's setting a bad precedent? That seems like a net negative.

Like either you accept the background check concessions, or you make an effort to repeal the 2nd amendment, because you don't think it should be a right. So long as it is a right, you can't undermine it without hurting the other ones.

Or you redefine what it means, and provided Clinton wins, there's a pretty good chance that'll happen.

I don't see how this sets any different of a precedent than the no fly list already does. Surely freedom of movement/repatriation is also protected.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
But exactly how far can you go with 'redefining' before you're in violation, and are you comfortable with that same level of 'redefinition' being used on other rights? Precedent matters.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

rudatron posted:

But exactly how far can you go with 'redefining' before you're in violation, and are you comfortable with that same level of 'redefinition' being used on other rights? Precedent matters.

:agreed: I'm no huge fan of guns or the second amendment, but legitimizing the no-fly list further by expanding its powers seems terrible to me, especially since you're stripping someone of their constitutional rights based on pretty much nothing.

What's next? Suspending habeas corpus if you're on the no-fly list cause if you're too dangerous to fly you're too dangerous to try?

Condiv has issued a correction as of 07:25 on Jun 24, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

jarofpiss posted:

gun control is inherently racist and classist and i think it is a bad thing to restrict the tools of self defense to only the bourgeoisie

give guns to everyone, problem solved.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
This is the most "I don't follow politics but this is all bullshit!" election year ever

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

A Winner is Jew posted:

It's not about the bill, it's about making republicans go on record to choose between the NRA and national security.

Democrat cheerleaders are always talking about how they're doing these grand chess moves that force the republicans into ultimatums (because they cant possibly just be a center-right american party!) and every time nobody even remembers it two weeks later, except that democrats pushed an abhorrent thing.

More democrats felt burned by the GOP judge recommendation than average voters felt disappointed in the GOP's refusal days later, for example

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Condiv posted:

:agreed: I'm no huge fan of guns or the second amendment, but legitimizing the no-fly list further by expanding its powers seems terrible to me, especially since you're stripping someone of their constitutional rights based on pretty much nothing.

What's next? Suspending habeas corpus if you're on the no-fly list cause if you're too dangerous to fly you're too dangerous to try?

People always seem to forget that the other side also gets into power and they will do the same thing to your causes what you did to theirs

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
This is shameless political theater of zero consequence. You're a cheap seats doofus if you think

A Winner is Jew posted:

it's not about the policy, it's about getting republicans to go on record choosing between the NRA and national security.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
You're right.

This was shameless political theater of zero consequence.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

zen death robot posted:

It's over isn't it?

yeah yesterday. it was successful at bumping the Secretly Gay Muslim Terrorist angle towards 'GUNS' but w/ Brexit who the gently caress cares about playing small ball now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Xandu posted:

Or you redefine what it means, and provided Clinton wins, there's a pretty good chance that'll happen.

I don't see how this sets any different of a precedent than the no fly list already does. Surely freedom of movement/repatriation is also protected.

The No Fly list is unchallenged, but I'd say is unconstitutional as well.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
dishonesty in politics is totally cool as long as it's my team doing it!

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Terror Sweat posted:

People always seem to forget that the other side also gets into power and they will do the same thing to your causes what you did to theirs

Which is why, for the record, I am entirely for using the republican established and supported terrorist watch lists to take away guns for republicans

If they don't want to see their rights get violated without due process then they can get rid of the loving list. If we're paying to maintain it I'd like to actually see it used for something other than harassing people with middle eastern sounding names

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
gun control in this country isn't going to do diddly-squat until there's a mandatory buyback.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

gun control in this country isn't going to do diddly-squat until there's a mandatory buyback.

Just some widespread voluntary buybacks would help a lot but the way Republicans act you'd think the government offering somebody 200 bucks for a handgun was akin to knocking down their door and taking their guns while executing their dogs and raping their wives

here's one where some fine gun loving patriots threatened to murder people for buying back a whopping 22 firearms out of the 350 million circulating on our streets (actually lol the article is from 1997 so the number was probably closer to a third of that)

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Jun 24, 2016

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mirthless posted:

Which is why, for the record, I am entirely for using the republican established and supported terrorist watch lists to take away guns for republicans

If they don't want to see their rights get violated without due process then they can get rid of the loving list. If we're paying to maintain it I'd like to actually see it used for something other than harassing people with middle eastern sounding names

but now anyone who wants to get rid of the list altogether is going to be accused of making it easier for terrorists and other undesirables to buy guns

due process is already eroding fast enough, we don't need to charge at it with a god drat backhoe

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

but now anyone who wants to get rid of the list altogether is going to be accused of making it easier for terrorists and other undesirables to buy guns

Yep. Wouldn't want to look "soft on terror."

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

G.C. Furr III posted:

The people must learn, one and all, how to use arms, they must belong, one and all, to the militia which is to replace the police and the standing army. - George W. Bush

I miss him already.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
democrats making america safe one brown person at a time through institutionalized racism

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mirthless posted:

Yeah, it's basically this.

The No-Fly list is loving horrible but we have it in place because it's a feel-good national security measure that republicans (and some really, really bad democrats) support.

Using it to force republicans to choose between national security or guns is legit good and posts like this:

Reason posted:

democrats making america safe one brown person at a time through institutionalized racism

is loving idiotic because the list is already institutionalized racism, only it's institutionalized racism that no one gives a poo poo about right now because it's wrapped up in national security bullshit.

Basically,

Powercrazy posted:

The No Fly list is unchallenged, but I'd say is unconstitutional as well.

It's unchallenged because no one gives a poo poo about it. This not only makes republicans choose between the NRA and national security, but also makes people give a poo poo about the no-fly list so people might actually start giving a poo poo it's unconstitutional.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, it's basically this.

The No-Fly list is loving horrible but we have it in place because it's a feel-good national security measure that republicans (and some really, really bad democrats) support.

Using it to force republicans to choose between national security or guns is legit good and posts like this:

is loving idiotic because the list is already institutionalized racism, only it's institutionalized racism that no one gives a poo poo about right now because it's wrapped up in national security bullshit.

Basically,

It's unchallenged because no one gives a poo poo about it. This not only makes republicans choose between the NRA and national security, but also makes people give a poo poo about the no-fly list so people might actually start giving a poo poo it's unconstitutional.

i like this new approach to fighting back against racism. abraham lincoln should've made irish people slaves in order to make eventual black and irish emancipation much more palatable to everyone!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

i like this new approach to fighting back against racism. abraham lincoln should've made irish people slaves in order to make eventual black and irish emancipation much more palatable to everyone!

This is a perfectly reasonable analogy since there wasn't an abolitionist movement to speak of prior to Lincoln being president.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

A Winner is Jew posted:

This is a perfectly reasonable analogy since there wasn't an abolitionist movement to speak of prior to Lincoln being president.

a perfectly reasonable analogy for a perfectly reasonable strategy. i'm just trying my best to capture the brilliance of expanding the powers of the no-fly list in order to get the public to care about it and push to repeal it. it's not like the american public is nakedly racist towards muslims or anything.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Condiv posted:

a perfectly reasonable analogy for a perfectly reasonable strategy. i'm just trying my best to capture the brilliance of expanding the powers of the no-fly list in order to get the public to care about it and push to repeal it. it's not like the american public is nakedly racist towards muslims or anything.

Just like there is not a large and incredibly powerful lobby for muslims in the US, there is also not a large and incredibly powerful lobby for gun owners in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

A Winner is Jew posted:

Just like there is not a large and incredibly powerful lobby for muslims in the US, there is also not a large and incredibly powerful lobby for gun owners in the US.

why is the ACLU so shortsighted? apparently they oppose this measure that will create a powerful lobby for muslims in the near future! can they not comprehend the brilliant 11th dimensional chess the democrats are playing in order to protect our rights?

• Locked thread