Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gourmandia, City of Flavors, City of Zest!

The sun shines on the sky as the five of you reach the entrance of the great city of Gourmandia. Built around the Dungeon of Yasmar, what was once a frontier outpost quickly grew into the culinary capital of the world as adventurers began to delve within its deeps to retrieve endless ingredients the like of which cannot be seen anywhere else in the entire world. Enormous airships cross the sky carrying spices and produce worth their weight in gold, and hundreds of markets and guilds supply their findings to competing restaurants whose chefs are equal or superior even to the royal cooks from the mightiest empires. Guards travel the roads, searching for smugglers, thieves and peddlers of addictive ingredients whose dangerous effects have been outlawed on all but the most lawless lands, and travelers from across the world all arrive to try their luck in the dungeon or to buy from those who are more courageous then them.

Will you take a look at the attractions of the city or proceed directly to the Dungeon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
: "Well we just got here; let's get a hotel or something then feel the place out, since I reckon we'll be around a while."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Character Sheet

Amadeus harumphs - He left Gourmandia for a reason, and he isn't terribly pleased to be back. He cannot deny the importance of such a place (and such a dungeon) though, and so he manages to miraculously swallow his pride as he steps through the cinnamon-scented gates.

"Yes, let's. The Dungeon isn't going anywhere. There's a rather... hm, quaint inn about three blocks from the Dungeon proper. Good breakfast, even if their hired help is positively rude at times." Amadeus chooses to leave out the little detail of his refusal to tip or to refer to said help as anything other than you, boy. And saying the food is good at any place in Gourmandia either speaks significant volumes about the place's quality... or volumes on the ignorance of the speaker.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Character Sheet

Amadeus feels a sudden impact from behind as tanned arm close around his neck in an overly familiar hug. "Aw yeah! Me and little Amy are gonna be roommates!" Flavio shouted in Amadeus' pointy ear, a white-toothed, closed-eye grin on his face.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Arheld takes a deep breath of the air. It smells of... Adventure.

"Ah, Gourmandia- den of vice and virtue alike! Already I can hear the dungeon's call- the holy light of Melindra has not touched that placed in many years, I wager!" He balls a gloved fist. "But you are right! We shall establish a foothold here in the inn, first-" And smacks it into his other hand "-and I would like to taste this breakfast you speak of. The order judges this city harshly, and I would like to confirm their verdict."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

To say Amadeus is alarmed at the sudden physical attention would be a grave understatement, the alchemist is positively frozen, not unlike a deer caught before a light spell. He manages to regain his composure after a few deep breaths and some adjustments to his bifocals though.

"W-we shall all share a room, we must preserve our temporarily misplaced fortunes for supplies." He nods to Arheld. "And a meal. The inn's popoto frittata is particularly satisfactory."

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

"Heh, 'all share a room.' Funny stuff, had me goin' there..."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Entrance of The Butter Fry

Despite the horrid pun in its name and the rather disgusting symbol of a fried butterfly on its entrance, this inn has a fairly great amount of visitors due to its localization not far from the Dungeon's entrance and its excellent display of all kinds of fried foods to go with the hearty and stout beer they serve. The low price and excellent taste indeed outweighs the enormous risk of cardiac diseases that inevitably comes when eating their special Fried Fryfly Wings, a spicy and oily snack made from a rather incendiary creature from the dungeons. Despite being barely a few hours after noon, there are already drunken patrons exiting the place, dancing around while leaving their belongings behind.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Character Sheet

"Heya mister, what's that?" Flavio exclaims, wide-eyed and pointing, to a drunken stranger. Before the man can answer, Flavio has already shoved one of the patron's fried tidbits into his mouth, flashing the man a winning smile as the drunkard blinks slowly. "Delicious, I owe you one! Catch ya later!" the boy says cheerfully, slapping the back gently as he makes his way to the next patron, where the scene plays out again.

Create a platter of stolen food: 1d6 3 (skilled; success with cost)

[How about a minor reputation as a petty thief as the cost? Or else Flavio makes himself a minor enemy with another adventurer.]

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ah! The delicious aromas wafting through the inn were captivating...rooms could wait a bit, it was time to eat! " 'Oy, menu!" Cynthia half-growled at a passing barmaid as she took a table.

The waitress took her sweet time coming back before slapping the menu down. "There ya go, sweetie."

"Thanks, darlin'." Cynthia sneered back. She quickly scanned the list before eyeing the Butter Fry's famous dish. Spicy fried chicken!? She couldn't resist.

"Yea, I'll have the house special. And a room if ya got one."

Rolling Wealth, in case any of this needs money thrown at it: 5

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

(Sorry, was waiting for more people)

The drunken man looks incredulously at Flavio's food burglary attempt, and tries to curse at him, only to stop in his tracks and sneeze a large blob of booger. "Fug you, you biddle basdard!" He mutters while sneezing and coughing on his way out. Whatever he has is probably on that half-eaten snack as well, though, and that ain't hygienic!

[Flavio's consequences are unknown for now! Let's just not hope the chicken wings have chicken pox.]

---

The House Special... Created for adventuring parties and those in large groups, this is a gnome-sized barrel filled with fried chicken pieces, sprinkled with over twenty five secret herbs and spices and accompanied with a small bucket of mayonnaise. Cynthia's pay managed to get a decent room and one of those, which is sure to fill the stomachs of the five of you!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Character Sheet

Cephas has more or less kept to himself up to this point, following behind the group in a manner that to the unacquainted onlooker would surely resemble sulking. With the arrival of the steaming bucket of wings, however, the onion was quick to scramble onto the table and begin shoving chicken into his maw, bone and all.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Amadeus, no stranger to alchemical and biological horrors eating things in disgusting ways, doesn't bat an eye at Cephas' grotesque demonstration.

"Well, with our lodging secure, I suppose we should lay out a plan for our first foray into the unknown." The sarcasm in Amadeus' voice is thicker than the mayonnaise he's dipping his third bird leg into - The first two floors of the dungeon have been so thoroughly documented and explored that there are entire sections in most libraries dedicated to them. The first floor is hardly anything more than a camping destination at this point, commercialized everywhere barring a few ignored zones.

As the horrific slurping and chomping grows louder, he finally whips around toward the onionbaby, "--And would you please use a napkin?! Some of us weren't artificially constructed in a barn!"

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"I agree!" Arheld brings his fist down on the table like a hammer, the cutlery bouncing at the impact. "We should plan to bring light to those depths at the soonest opportunity. Every moment we wait some less principled adventurers could be making off with a holy relic or committing some act of unspeakable evil- without us there to stop it! I assume one of you brought a map or something for this, right?"

He gives a wary glance at the pair of Food Buckets as they arrive. "Ah, so this is the local fare? How.. earthy! Eat well, everyone- but not too well. Only sharpen your appetite for what lies ahead." Arheld himself grabs but a single wing, meditating on the flavours and speaking aloud each he recognizes.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

"Very well; Tomorrow at the crack of dawn we shall enter the waiting queue to begin our spelunking. As for a map--" Amadeus reaches deep into his bag of vials and notebooks and rustles around for a minute before pausing and returning to his rather upright posture, empty-handed. "--I have given the gift of cartographic responsibility to the rest of our troupe."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Character Sheet

Flavio returns, his stolen platter a sampler of pilfered foods. "Eh, a map?," he says, mouth stuffed with fried concoctions, "Sounds boring. Why go to places everyone knows about? All the good stuff will be gone! Besides, wandering is half the fun!"

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 27, 2016

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cephas gives Amadeus a curious look before giving a little nod, proceeding to shove his napkin, with enclosed silverware, into its mouth. It wouldn't do to displease its new allies, after all.

Looking to Arheld, the onion quickly shakes his head, gesturing towards his bag. You couldn't do much cooking with a map, so why bother packing one in the first place. It seems like one of those things better left at home.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The mayo wings are a scrumptious and fitting feast, their crunchyness making every bite satisfying and refreshing. You wake up on the next morning with your bellies full and completely energized as the group leaves the inn.

(Everyone is Well Fed And Rested. That gives all of you a +2 bonus on all of your rolls on the first round of combat on the next encounter.)

---

The gaping mouth.

The entrance to the dungeon of Yasmar is as busy as ever. Despite the creepiness of the gigantic stone mouth protecting it, there are several groups of adventurers and laborers hauling various ingredients outside to the markets and harbors of Gourmandia. Along the line of people waiting to get inside, several wandering salesmen pester around with maps, weapons, kitchen utensils and lucky charms to those who want to try their luck inside. As one of them, a large-sized rabbitman, notices you, it hops towards Arheld with a scroll in hand. "Maps! Selling maps of the first four levels of the dungeon! A real deal!"

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 28, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Character Sheet

Flavio rolls his eyes. "Tooourist traaaap," he says as he wanders around the map seller, eyeing his pockets.

Swipe a map (Trained; Slight of Hand): 1d6 2

(One of Flavio's animal friends gives him away maybe, or steals something he shouldn't have)

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 28, 2016

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Arheld runs a hand through his hair. You know, the way people spoke about this place he was thinking it'd be all foreboding and they'd be the only ones around to face vile evils and uncover secrets that haven't been touched in centuries. This, though... it's not like how the order made it out to sound at all. Maybe the first few floors are just a tourist thing, and the REAL entrance is just a few floors below. Yeah, that sounds right.

"Ah yes, over here my leporine friend- I will take one of those maps, thank you." He tosses him a few coins, most likely far more than necessary. Arheld isn't one for prices- or rather he has no idea what anything is really worth.

He looks to the others triumphantly. "With this map, we can follow the fastest route past the heavily trafficked floors and dive immediately towards adventure and danger in the dark recesses of the Dungeon!"

Assuming my wealth of poor is enough to buy a "map".

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Cynthia also rolls her eyes; surely it's a con, but whatever, it's the zealot's money.

"Hrm...I'd like to see if there was a book or manual or somethin' on what all we can expect to find far as fauna goes. Not sure I'd trust much peddled by this bunch, though."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Amadeus wiggles a gloved finger toward Cynthia. "So quick to forget your present company, mademoiselle." He pushes his glasses up his nose a bit. "Between yours truly's expertise on all things which bud, bloom, or fruit, and the... hm, prince, I assure you that no plant shall escape our encyclopedic gaze."

His statement is punctuated by sound of a cork popping off a rather alluring-shaped vial as he downs the amber contents in one gulp.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

(Oh lord, he's drinking already...) Cynthia thinks to herself.

"I said fauna, not flora, ya drunk! Ya might've heard it right if ya wasn't drownin' in booze."

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Given the culinary nature of the location, everything sold here is likely to be edible, isn't it? And given how much they were going on about that map, maybe in his wordly inexperience he had overlooked the gourmet nature of such a item. With outstretched grabby hands and a bit of coin, the Onion attempts to purchase one of these maps, at a far more reasonable price than paid by his companion.

Bartering - Untrained: 1d6 4

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Flavio's pet bird squawks as it picks up a carrot from the rabbitman's pocket, who notices it and angrily swats it away. "No touch carrot! Eet ees mine!" It squeaks as it takes the coins given by the enormous onion and its human companion before quickly hopping away, smirking at itself. As Cephas and Arheld can see, the various maps detail on a crude way the first four levels of the dungeon, Cacao Jungle, Small Game Praire, Livestock Plains and the Salad Jungle.

After a few minutes you finally get to the end of the line, where prospective adventurers are finely inspected by the authorities of Gourmandia. A couple men with halberds and official badges give a respectful nod while approaching you. "Are you firstcomers to Yasmar? We represent the Official Dungeon Authority and would like to make a few questions and check your belongings to see if you are bringing any foreign substance or creature inside the place." They glance at Cephas. "Including... Whatever that is."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

"What, you don't recognize greatness?" Amadeus smirks as the two guards look thoroughly unimpressed. After a moment of silence he seems to withdraw into his own clothes and meekly replies, "My name is Amadeus Lidenbok, I used to work at the Rusted Nail down the block."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Character Sheet

Flavio hisses, and a small flock of equally small animals vanish into hair, pockets, and packs. "Nothing to declare, officer!" he says, with a slight sneer to his smile.

[either of my complications could come up here pretty easily]

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 30, 2016

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Customs agents for a dungeon? Ugh, bureaucracy suuuuucks.

"Well ask away, but don't touch my stuff."

If they insist on examining gear I'd probably tag the Fiery Temper complication and tell 'em off...aside from not liking random dudes going through stuff, she's not convinced they're even legit.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Cephas looks from companion to companion before looking back at officials, giving a slow little nod.

Either complication could very well come into play here!

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"Indeed it is our first time. My belongings are what you see with me-" Arheld makes a flourishing gesture to the scant few pouches on his belt "-Melindra provides all the bounty I need otherwise on my journeys. Oh yes, and this map of course. Tell me guards, how deep have you ventured into this dungeon? Surely they would only post the most doughty of fighters at the entrance to such a dread lair."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

All right, activating Fiery Temper, Taboo Construct and Irresponsible Pet Owner.

The guards ignore Cynthia's protests and quickly head to examine her and Flavio's belongings. As one of them opens a pack belonging to the young Street Chef, a squirrabbit jumps out of it, biting the poor man's nose. "Ow!" He says as the other is meanwhile shoven off by the girl. "Hey, we need to see if you are bringing anything illegal! Ah heck, you definitely are, you even have an Onion golem pet in the open!" The two men block the entrance to the dungeon. "It's forbidden by law to bring alien elements within the dungeon as they can spoil, prey or contaminate those within. So buzz off!"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
As I see things we can either sneak in somehow, just bolt in [and presumably get chased], or fight these dudes and then bolt. All three sound good to me and Amadeus has options for stealth or distraction if need be. Anyone have a preference?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Character Sheet

Flavio grins sardonically and shrugs. Then with a click of his tongue, a wave of tiny furry and feathered animals leap at the guards, attacking all at once. Flavio jumps up, scrambling onto the stone maw guarding the dungeon entrance as his animals make a hasty retreat. Flavio tosses a rock down at the guards below, cursing at them in his native tongue while gesturing to his companions to run inside.

Take the guards on a merry chase (Trained; Acrobatics): 1d6 1

(Stone crumbles/he slips, more guards waiting inside, something waiting up on the head itself? Also, goddamn dice)

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

"You would deny me passage-" Arheld trails off a bit as small woodland animals swarm the guards. He was about to demonstrate the wages of sin to the guards who would dare bar the way of a holy man on a mission, but his companion of questionable-repute seems to have.. well, advanced the situation regardless. Perhaps the wave of animals was a sign from Melindra that this is the appropriate way forward.

"Well my friends, it seems the Gods have provided us a way forward without requiring the exercise of divine justice upon the corrupt and weak of will! Let us move forward!" He strikes a heroic pointing pose towards the briefly clear entryway before dashing in.

I mean, this is assuming that Flavio's stuff is successful/real in the sense that we get past at least the outer entryway.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Holding off to see the outcome of Flavio's Twist & Cost, but Cynthia's inclination would be to throw fire at them 'til they aren't in the way anymore.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A swarm of various rodents and birds start to swarm over the pair of guards, who curse and flail around before Flavio comes down of them. Unfortunately the rock he picked to throw is perhaps far too heavy for the young man, and he ends up falling alongside it, smashing the rock with three noggins at once, his and his targets. While his companions manage to pull out whatever is left of him, it seems the Guards are down for the count, but who knows for how long? The way for the dungeon has no obstacles, meanwhile!

Flavio gets hurt in that twist! He loses 4 HP!

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The onion, surveying the fallen guards, decides to do a quick bit of looting in search of snacks. They were fallen enemies, and according to his dearly departed progenitor's stack of illustrated novella, the purpose of a fallen foe was to strip them of all they were worth. Who knows how long it might be before another food source presents itself in the dungeon.

Looting - Untrained: 1d6 6

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Amadeus surveys the beaten bruisers with a quizzical "Well, hmph."

"Uhm, adept work, boy. Now, dust yourself off and lets quickly enter the Dungeon." Naturally he doesn't offer Flavio a hand up. "Time is a fine spice, and we'd be wise not to exhaust ours before we even step foot inside!"

The alchemist looks around and, seeing the entrance clear, walks through casually and beckons his party hither.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cephas manages to fish a Fish Stick from the unconscious guards's pocket!

Fish Stick - A raw fish in a stick, this snack is an acquired taste. Its grodyness makes the eater more resilient, granting them immunity for the next time they are afflicted by a status effect.

The Cacao Forest, also known of as the Land of Chocolate. The first and least dangerous level of the dungeon, it is composed of several cacao trees, sugarcane patches and mountains made of pure chocolate. It has a 1.1% mortality, rate, with most of the creatures roaming around being small candy critters like Chocolate Rabbits and White Cacao Parrots flying above you. Several dozens of adventurers are already harvesting whatever they can find from the local wildlife, making the place a bit crowded near the entrance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

"Huh, guess this'd be why chocolate's cheap 'round here..."

She looks around a bit, taking in the breadth of the Forest. "Aight, I'mma get a better view, see what's what."

A beat of her wings later and she was aloft, idly scanning the landscape while enjoying the excuse to indulge her favorite pastime, flying (cooking doesn't count; cooking is life!).

Scouting (Untrained): 2

• Locked thread