Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Doomykins posted:

It's funny because everybody dumped Wisdom and didn't train Perception. :haw:

Can't I talk my way out of the traps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
If anyone has thievery or any clever means of trying to open the gate then go for it, otherwise I'm gonna be smashing the apparatus for the chain when I get home from work in order to cross over the pits. Maybe. Unless I roll hella hecka bad.

I'm going to roll hella hecka bad

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
I actually have thievery to roll, my friend. Bear with me

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
things have been kind of crazy for me this week, sorry for not posting D:

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
REMEMBER ME

*belches fire into the sky*

Poultron
May 26, 2006

drat i cant believe slims is loving dead

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
gently caress Slims.

Home internet is out for a few days, everybody take their turn in combat.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
I'm at a friend's cabin for the week. May be a little slow, but still able to post.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
Dumb question: I'm last on this initiative roll, so I should probably wait for Mortify before I post, right?

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Just post. Player turns are interchangeable under most circumstances.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
Longass drive out of the woods for me today. Post with y'all playas tomorrow evening :(

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Flight delayed. Won't be able to update tonight.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
Just a reminder, you can burn a standard action to double-move or charge. :eng101:

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

A Bug posted:

Just a reminder, you can burn a standard action to double-move or charge. :eng101:

Thanks. Running or charge means add two squares to my usual six, right?

And by double-move, do you mean I can move 12 squares?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Stupid giant map!!!

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!

Serviette posted:

Thanks. Running or charge means add two squares to my usual six, right?

And by double-move, do you mean I can move 12 squares?

You can use your standard to move coupled with your regular move for 12 squares, 14 if running.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

A Bug posted:

You can use your standard to move coupled with your regular move for 12 squares, 14 if running.

Alright, that's definitely a game changer. Thanks, A Bug!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Serviette, feel free to add an extra move to this turn since you missed that.

Mirthless, do the same since I also missed one of yours earlier.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

Doomykins posted:

Serviette, feel free to add an extra move to this turn since you missed that.

Mirthless, do the same since I also missed one of yours earlier.

Will do. Thanks Doomykins!

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
I will be better about blundering full speed ahead in the future.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
I have a couple of technical questions here for Doomykins or anyone else who has the time to answer them. These aren't vital for play, but as I'm new to gaming I'mm looking to understand the DM-perspective on gaming to, you know, make myself a better player and all that :)

1) I've just shuriken'd Heart with Bloodroot Poison, which will Daze him; what will Heart have to roll in order to save himself? I'm guessing a d20 will be a part of it, but what attributes modify that saving throw, if any? I ask because I know at some point in this game I'll have to make a similar saving throw.

2) I've used Summon the Mists to obscure my ninja-ness. The description says "Burst 5". What does that mean? 4 adjacent squares, plus the one I occupy, are obscured?

3) Obviously I'm enveloped in a thick fog that makes me harder to see and hit, so does that mean my AC changes, or is there something special Doomy will have to do in order for a character to hit me?

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!

Serviette posted:

I have a couple of technical questions here for Doomykins or anyone else who has the time to answer them. These aren't vital for play, but as I'm new to gaming I'mm looking to understand the DM-perspective on gaming to, you know, make myself a better player and all that :)

1) I've just shuriken'd Heart with Bloodroot Poison, which will Daze him; what will Heart have to roll in order to save himself? I'm guessing a d20 will be a part of it, but what attributes modify that saving throw, if any? I ask because I know at some point in this game I'll have to make a similar saving throw.

2) I've used Summon the Mists to obscure my ninja-ness. The description says "Burst 5". What does that mean? 4 adjacent squares, plus the one I occupy, are obscured?

3) Obviously I'm enveloped in a thick fog that makes me harder to see and hit, so does that mean my AC changes, or is there something special Doomy will have to do in order for a character to hit me?

1. A saving throw is a standard d20 at the end of a turn. 10 or higher is a success and the effect ends, lower than 10 means it persists. They aren't affected by stats, but certain abilities or feats may give a modifier. (Page 279)
2. Summon the Mists is Close Burst 5, so it originates at you and extends out 5 squares in all directions that there's line of sight to. Unless it says otherwise, close bursts don't affect the square you're on.
3. Obscured makes everything in those squares harder to hit with melee or ranged attacks (so not AOE). Lightly obscured gives a -2 penalty to attack rolls. (Page 281, plus some extra stuff about concealment / invisibility)

A Bug fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 11, 2016

Poultron
May 26, 2006

A Bug posted:

2. Summon the Mists is Close Burst 5, so it originates at you and extends out 5 squares in all directions that there's line of sight to. Unless it says otherwise, close bursts don't affect the square you're on.

I will say though that this is probably one of those cases where it would/should

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!

Poultron posted:

I will say though that this is probably one of those cases where it would/should

Agreed. I think they intended it to be a thing you use and then move so you can do the whole 'where am I?' thing, but it's only lightly obscuring rather than total concealment. But I guess the latter would be bonkers.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Because I am literally retarded my internet is out again for a bit.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
I am also retarded! :D

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
Hey Fellas!

I'm just wondering about the mechanics of some pretty specific movements.

Let's say I want Bracky to do a ninja summersault OVER Heart, and then gently caress him up from behind ;); how does that work? Will that burn more than my Movement for the turn?

Because some of my attacks have an advantage if they are executed in the air—or after a fall, or whatever—I figure it's time to ninja it up if ya know what I'm saying. Basically, how do I execute a combination of Acrobatics + Attack in a turn?

Referrals to the player's manual are totally acceptable. However, I find the information sticks better when it's shared from veteran to noob me.

Either way, I've been invited out tonight, and I'm leaving work now, which I didn't expect, so my moves may have to wait 'til tomorrow evening (Newfoundland Standard Time).

As always, thanks for your help and input, everyone. I've been learning more from you guys and Doomy than I ever have from my short-lived living room D&D experiences.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Are people going to start flaking now? We got half the party afk last turn.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

I don't plan on flaking, I've just been having really awful writer's block recently, and not just in this game. I'll be posting sometime tonight though.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
Been kinda burnt out between work and sadbrains lately, but will try to be better about prompt posting.

E: Also I hope I'm doing my attack rolls right. The bonus from combat advantage/flanking and the penalty from being obscured should cancel each other out.

A Bug fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 14, 2016

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Had a busy week/weekend, I will have something up this afternoon

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Will update mine tonight. Was sick most of the weekend and didn't feel like posting while fevered.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

My connection has been back so let's get a snappy pace going again.

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

Serviette posted:

• Move: to BT-57
  • Standard: Spending 2 Healing Surges courtesy of Capo's Rune of Mending (Destruction) and Nigi Mitama's Posumundi: gain +16 HP (Please tell me over OOC whether this move is viable; if not I'll correct it immediately)

You actually just misinterpreted the ability.

A Bug gave you a free action to speed a surge (8 HP), and Mitama gives you +1 to that heal (9 HP) with no action on your part (it is passive). You could standard action to Second Wind instead, gaining another 9 HP for 18 HP total healing.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

Mortify posted:

You actually just misinterpreted the ability.

A Bug gave you a free action to speed a surge (8 HP), and Mitama gives you +1 to that heal (9 HP) with no action on your part (it is passive). You could standard action to Second Wind instead, gaining another 9 HP for 18 HP total healing.

Oh, cool! Thanks Mortify! Can I use Second Wind if I didn't pick that ability?

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!

Serviette posted:

Oh, cool! Thanks Mortify! Can I use Second Wind if I didn't pick that ability?

Yes, everyone gets Second Wind.

Edit: Also be sure to include the +3 HP I gave you from Shield of Devotion.

A Bug fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 19, 2016

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD

A Bug posted:

Yes, everyone gets Second Wind.

Edit: Also be sure to include the +3 HP I gave you from Shield of Devotion.

Done. Thank you!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

D'oh, Forgot about the dang stupid chains. Gonna keep my action until someone breaks up one of 'em, I can take care of the other.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I played it off this time but as a reminder you're generally supposed to burn actions to use Skills in combat.

But since it just came up, I'll add that what I said earlier about Diplomacy and Intimidate:

quote:

Diplomacy: Online: Attempt to friend invite or group invite someone. (Alternative Use)
Intimidate: Online: Use mad bantz to establish rivalries and grudging respect with others. (Alternative Use)

Can be done for free, but only those Alternative Uses(i.e. trying to friend list someone.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Serviette you can use that Diplomacy as a Free Action. See my above post.

The PHB1's Skills Section has rules for using Skills to influence direct mechanical effects in combat, or reasons to burn Standard Actions on Diplomacy/Intimidate/Bluff/etc.