Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
As the news story is still breaking, there's not much to put in here yet, but I'm opening this thread because I figure there's going to be a lot of talking about this in the next few days.

Among the news items:

So come in and chat about this wonderful economic crisis brought to you by a nation of shopkeepers!

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm excited for the next PM, the chaos reigns wolf

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

David Cameron is said to be resigning soon.

https://twitter.com/ITVAllegra/status/746191648850206720?lang=en

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Again I still can't believe this happened. This year has been the antithesis of common sense. Seems likely, hell no! Go the other way.

Hang in there UK goons :ohdear:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Britain the hedgehog is loving dead

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Ground floor of what will almost assuredly be a loving clusterfuck for the region. Should be interesting to see how long it impacts the markets, or if cooler heads prevail over a week or two.

Was turnout subdued for "Stay" voters on the concept that they'd obviously win?

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
why can't I fave this thread

here's some good poo poo: Praseodymi arrives at work with colleagues who voted leave and did not want to lose 350b from the country's economy overnight

I'm so sorry you guys. direct democracy is dangerous and pigfucker apparently wasn't done loving

e:

Praseodymi posted:

Update on Brexiteer co-workers: Everything is fine.

stephenfry fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 24, 2016

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Welp

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Lovin me some British cunts costing me a shitload of money, delicious!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
All this poo poo really makes me wonder if Britain can really get a Euroskeptic government together in parliament via a new election that will actually go through with EU negotiations to leave. It seems like quite a few steps, and over a long period of time, for things to go toward leaving. All the while, business types, remain supporters, and the SNP will be threatening all sorts of bad things if they actually do it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/GoogleTrends/status/746184144481198080

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Hail Britannia!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Guess this is the right thread for it. I'm Scottish, but my Mum's Irish, so how would I go about applying for an Irish passport?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I still don't understand the point of this. Unlike Greece and other countries, Britain has full control over their currency and don't subscribe to an economic system at odds with the rest of Euroland. Leaving doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Some people think this is bad, but me? I like it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

I still don't understand the point of this. Unlike Greece and other countries, Britain has full control over their currency and don't subscribe to an economic system at odds with the rest of Euroland. Leaving doesn't seem to make sense to me.

Racism. Also misinformation.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

it's certainly interesting to see the global markets crash in real time

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/746195689890144256

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lmao

orange sky
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

But you see Europe was requiring that Britain's bananas be too straight or that Britain would take 20 billion refugees and they can't take that not with the promising, hard working population they have

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

So how badly will this gently caress Britain if Scotland leaves.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

logikv9 posted:

i'm excited for the next PM, the chaos reigns wolf

It's a fox, you loving dipshit.

(angry at Britain, not you)

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
For real though, how likely is it that Scotland will successfully vote for independence now? And what about Irish reunification? I want to know if this is a real possibility or hyperbolic despair

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

And so it begins

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

So how does this help the anti-immigration folks? Were there certain immigration laws they had to follow as an EU member that they can now ignore?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

FourLeaf posted:

For real though, how likely is it that Scotland will successfully vote for independence now? And what about Irish reunification? I want to know if this is a real possibility or hyperbolic despair
The former? Basically 100%.
The latter? Much more complicated but there will at least be a vote.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This is loving insanity and I hope all the Brexit folks enjoy their impending recession.

Probably the saddest thing about all of this is the younger you are the more you wanted to stay and the longer you have to deal with the fallout. Once again The Olds have hosed The Youth.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

European stock markets are starting to open in the next few hours which should be interesting but the real panic will undoubtedly be when the NYSE open again later today. :ohdear:

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Crashing the global economy will unsurprisingly not go over well with most of the developed world, and I expect we will see the UK made an example of to discourage any other countries from following suit. Things are going to get very ugly for citizens of the U.K., but they brought it on themselves. With all the capital flight from the UK to the US, Manhattan is going to turn into billionaires island.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's no way that the Scottish Independence movement doesn't push for a new vote if they can.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
A unified Ireland, loving hell

That has to be near the top of "things no one would ever, ever see. ever."

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Hollismason posted:

So how badly will this gently caress Britain if Scotland leaves.

Indefinite Tory government, so pretty hosed?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Eurosceptic parties everywhere are probably salivating over this but will rapidly loose traction as the world watches Britain crash and burn trying to fly solo.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Look at the financial futures - don't be surprised if there are calls in next hour between the European Finance Ministers to keep the markets shut today, as if they open its going to be a blood bath.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Pedantry: Taro Aso is Japan's deputy PM and minister of finance. The PM is still Shinzo "Abenomics" Abe.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
When's the sweet spot where I can enjoy my strong American dollars while avoiding roving gangs of formerly employed financiers in London?

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Democracy is bad. Enjoy my hot take right there.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Thanks for ruining everything for everyone, Brits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I still really don't understand this. Like what do they gain. To me Greece made perfect sense (and was the right call) for wanting to leave, but Britain? WTF?

axeil posted:

Once again The Olds have hosed The Youth.
The story of every modern Western nation.

• Locked thread