Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Who would have thought the UK would be the ones to make it happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

axeil posted:

For Northern Ireland who knows, but Irish unification would be hilarious as a result of this.

A silver lining to every cloud. :unsmith:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Well it was nice while The Troubles were on hiatus.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

SpaceDrake posted:

It was a pain in the rear end trying to set up my little localization business in the long wake of the 2008 financial crisis, and I was happy that things had finally stabilized a bit. This is going to be worse than it ever was, isn't it. :(

Relax, nothing has happened yet. This is not a financial crisis so far, and it remains to be seen if it ever becomes one. Everybody please take a big breath and repeat after me: stock markets are not the economy.

TyrantWD posted:

The shock will wear off, but governments and multinationals are going to make this as painful for the UK as possible to let voters in other countries know what awaits them if they try something similar.

This is nonsense as well. Multinationals are interested in their bottom line, governments depend on UK trade revenue and need to contain any economic fallout. This is not a morality play.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Lid posted:

That's my main worry in all of this, from my 97% ignorant stance anyway. :ohdear:

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
We need a new currency for this new era. I vote for Britcoins.

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
If Nigel Farage was smart he would dissolve the UKIP and rejoin the Tories again. I wonder if they would try to keep him out if he did.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What's happening in Europe right now

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What does the currency crash and stock market sell-off imply for interest rates?

(I'm kind of hoping for swingeing interest rate rises and a subsequent house price crash, just to gently caress off all the complacent home-owners who voted 'Leave')

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Not sure the Republic would accept to unite with Northern Ireland even if they voted to split from the UK. They shouldn't

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Didnt France and Italy say they'd hold their own referendum if UK leaves? Wonder when that'll happen...

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Pistol_Pete posted:

What does the currency crash and stock market sell-off imply for interest rates?

(I'm kind of hoping for swingeing interest rate rises and a subsequent house price crash, just to gently caress off all the complacent home-owners who voted 'Leave')

Buy gold. Or wheat / rice depending on how panicked you are.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Angelwolf posted:

Didnt France and Italy say they'd hold their own referendum if UK leaves? Wonder when that'll happen...

The far right populist party leaders in The Netherlands and France (Geert Wilders and Marine Le Pen respectively) have already called for their own countries to have referenda.

Both also stand non-negligible chances of being elected their countries' next leaders, so those votes may well happen some time in the next 5-10 years.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Lid posted:

On the other hand, it would mean Ireland was reunited not by a bloody sectarian conflict that spanned decades, but by a man who hosed a pig's head.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
Now Sky News is saying that S&P will be evaluating if the UK will lose its AAA credit rating.

drat.

EDIT:

In fact, the Financial Times is reporting "Rating agency S&P confirmed that the UK is likely to lose its final AAA credit rating."

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Is there a good unbiased rundown of the Brexit situation overall somewhere? I'm a US goon that started paying attention to this way too late and everything I'm looking at either seems really partisan or has very little information other than 'this is good/bad'.

Edit: e.g. how it affects uk/europe + why this vote is even happening in the first place.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

e_angst posted:

Now Sky News is saying that S&P will be evaluating if the UK will lose its AAA credit rating.

drat.

EDIT:

In fact, the Financial Times is reporting that S&P Rating agency S&P confirmed that the UK is likely to lose its final AAA credit rating.

:stare:

Well, that's the end of the British economy and also probably the UK. Dave Cameron is going to go down in history as the man who destroyed the United Kingdom.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

IT BEGINS posted:

Is there a good unbiased rundown of the Brexit situation overall somewhere? I'm a US goon that started paying attention to this way too late and everything I'm looking at either seems really partisan or has very little information other than 'this is good/bad'.

I think at this point just watching the financial news should give you an indication of whether this is a good thing or not.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
In ten years Wales will be independent and Essex will be at war with Mercia.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Scotland flees for the door.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

IT BEGINS posted:

Edit: e.g. how it affects uk/europe + why this vote is even happening in the first place.

David Cameron promised a referendum on leaving the EU so racists would vote for him, they didn't actually plan on this passing and now Cameron is going to resign as prime minister. The idea is that leaving the EU means the UK can be truly sovereign and say "no thanks" to the dirty immigrants and refugees taking their jobs.

The reality is the UK will need to re-negotiate trade deals with the EU and obviously that is going to require the UK to accept immigrants and refugees.

There is no benefit whatsoever, and since the UK is a financial hub it is loving the global economy as well.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

IT BEGINS posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum,_2016 this is a good start, honestly. As for the effects, nobody can tell you that because we don't know yet. Over the next two years, all that will get hammered out. Best guess right now is that the UK will pay premium to keep their access to the EU markets, will still have to abide by the EU regulations and will have their national economy in the shitter for a while. The rest of the EU (and the US) will probably see a slight downturn for a while, but it's unlikely more than that will happen -- in a vacuum. The real unknown factor are independence movements in other EU member states, especially those that are part of the EU monetary zone (i.e. have the euro). If we see a large-scale breakup of the monetary union, poo poo hits the fan globally. How likely that is to happen will slowly become clear over the next two years.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

e_angst posted:

drat.

EDIT:

In fact, the Financial Times is reporting "Rating agency S&P confirmed that the UK is likely to lose its final AAA credit rating."
lmao this is pretty unreal

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Didn't the US lose it's AAA rating and nothing happened?

Would it be different for the UK?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

e_angst posted:

drat.

EDIT:

hahahahahaha

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

PhazonLink posted:

It will probably not be different by much, because the Pound Sterling is still a reserve currency, but borrowing costs will probably go up more than the US's did because it isn't quite as central to the global economy as the dollar.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

e_angst posted:

drat.

EDIT:

Haha Jesus Christ. It's like the debt ceiling debacle except if the US had chose to stick its dick in a beehive because idiots were screaming about it.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

PhazonLink posted:

The US had a slight downgrade from a single agency, and that was also during a time when the US was still the strongest non-Chinese economies in the world (because everyone else was still in the shitter from the financial crisis).

Also, our downgrade was because of threatened actions that didn't end up coming to pass (Republicans threatening default). Barring something extraordinary, Brexit is happening.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

e_angst posted:

The US had a slight downgrade from a single agency, and that was also during a time when the US was still the strongest non-Chinese economies in the world (because everyone else was still in the shitter from the financial crisis).
yeah currency in absolute freefall + getting downgraded is bad news

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm blaming this on Cleveland.

What a poo poo show. Almost as if racism isn't the best reason to vote for something.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Again any negative impact will be blamed on outside foreign agencies wishing the destruction of British Empire by the Brexit crew. Like it will just win the Brexit people more support if they can say " Look they were extorting us to stay in and now that we left they are trying to cut our throats".

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So how much will Johnson get reamed by Merkel?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm blaming this on Cleveland.

What a poo poo show. Almost as if racism isn't the best reason to vote for something.
it wasn't just racism, people on the left and right did genuinely vote leave, it's that they were lied to about the potential benefits and consequences. like leave people thought this was going to improve UK economy somehow.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pellisworth posted:

David Cameron promised a referendum on leaving the EU so racists would vote for him, they didn't actually plan on this passing and now Cameron is going to resign as prime minister. The idea is that leaving the EU means the UK can be truly sovereign and say "no thanks" to the dirty immigrants and refugees taking their jobs.

The reality is the UK will need to re-negotiate trade deals with the EU and obviously that is going to require the UK to accept immigrants and refugees.

There is no benefit whatsoever, and since the UK is a financial hub it is loving the global economy as well.

This is the only bright spot - Cameron promised a referendum assuming he'd never have to hold it so that he could win another term as prime minister, then it turned out he actually had to go through with it and now it's what may well cause him to lose the job which was the point of promising the thing in the first place.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

straight up brolic posted:

it wasn't just racism, people on the left and right did genuinely vote leave, it's that they were lied to about the potential benefits and consequences. like leave people thought this was going to improve UK economy somehow.

And the main potential benefit that drove people to the polls was "fewer devious foreigners taking our jobs."

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Hollismason posted:

Again any negative impact will be blamed on outside foreign agencies wishing the destruction of British Empire by the Brexit crew. Like it will just win the Brexit people more support if they can say " Look they were extorting us to stay in and now that we left they are trying to cut our throats".

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

huh ,you crazy fuckers actually did it

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
So what's some cool stuff to buy for super cheap while the pound crumbles? Any British watch brands, cool shoes, that sort of stuff to watch for?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So if Scottland and N. Ireland vote to gently caress off from the UK and stick to the EU does that mitigate the global ramifications at the cost of turbofucking England/Wales, or does it just make the whole thing worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BGrifter posted:

So what's some cool stuff to buy for super cheap while the pound crumbles? Any British watch brands, cool shoes, that sort of stuff to watch for?

I hear there are some nice castles for sale.

• Locked thread