Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Stupidest movie ever created, cringe-worthy, awful, awful, garbage. Nothing made sense, clunkiest dialogue ever written

WHY DID THE GIANT loving ALIEN SPACESHIP, WAY BIGGER THAN ANYTHING ON EARTH COULD POSSIBLY FIGHT, LEAVE?? We're less than a minute away from drilling to the Earth's core, utterly destroying the planet! Wait? The Queen's dead? TURN OFF THE LASER! Turn it off! We're leaving!

WHY?! Drill for another minute! Destroy the planet you've been trying to destroy for 20 YEARS!

Syfy channel movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The movie explicitly says that if a Queen is killed, one of the other ones is notified and they immediately recall the thing. Nobody has ever killed one, before, so "Hey Queen #343 is dead" isn't going to be assumed to be because some random ape species took it out.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but the Aliens were still alive.

I get what you're saying, but making it so the aliens could be defeated still makes what happened a valid outcome.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 25, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Do they ever explain why the aliens they have imprisoned in SuperJail are still in their bio suits? I remember the actual aliens were pretty dinky, it was the organic suits they wore that made them so big and dangerous.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There is a good scene where an alien is violently ejected from its biosuit and basically lies helpless on the floor then gets decapitated, it's good but still doesn't stop the movie being loving trash

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

Do they ever explain why the aliens they have imprisoned in SuperJail are still in their bio suits? I remember the actual aliens were pretty dinky, it was the organic suits they wore that made them so big and dangerous.

Would you want to be the one to ask the aliens in violent, dangerous power suits to take off their violent, dangerous power suits?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah i know this movie was bad but goddammit I had so much fun watching it. I didn't go in expecting an amazing movie. I mean its a sequel to independence day. I went in there expecting stupidity and dumb poo poo going down. I liked most of the new characters, didn't really like Dylan (the son of will smith) actor. I just thought he was a huge babyface.

it owned. Goldblum owned. watch it for goldblum honestly

E:

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

This movie was camping as hell and I loved it. I don't know if it was ID4 quality but it was a something else entirely. The most Emmerich scene was a bus full of school children getting chased by the giant Queen plus they have to save the dog why not?!

Goldblum even comments on this as well! hahaha

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 25, 2016

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MisterBibs posted:

Would you want to be the one to ask the aliens in violent, dangerous power suits to take off their violent, dangerous power suits?

They were catatonic or comatosed I forget what word they used until the queen got close to earth, cut them out like in the first movie. Leave them helpless!

e: wait why even keep them at all? keep two for research or something, not dozens?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well if they didn't keep the suits then we would've never gotten the war lord scene. And holy poo poo was that worth it.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I just finished watching it and while I thought the movie was goofy as hell I still had a good time. I also couldn't help but think that if they continue to do sequels that Brent Spiner is going to be this franchises Burt Gummer.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Warlord guy was the best character. I continually hoped his whole gang showed up and just hosed up the new aliens in a ground war.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
This was the dumbest loving piece of poo poo I've seen in years. But it could have been saved if at the and the iSphere said that it needed to recruit five teenagers with attitudes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

dog days are over posted:

They were catatonic or comatosed I forget what word they used until the queen got close to earth, cut them out like in the first movie. Leave them helpless!

e: wait why even keep them at all? keep two for research or something, not dozens?

To the first part, remember that in the first movie they thought one was dead/comatose, and things went rather pear-shaped for everyone involved when they cracked it open.

As for the second bit, nobody knew there were any more but the ones they had out, and while they suspected there was enough of a threatto prepare defenses, it's a bit genocidy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Part of what made ID4 enjoyable (I mean, aside from the awesome blowing up city effects) was the somewhat slow burn at the beginning. Goldblum's character notices a message in the satellites, deciphers it, and then all hell breaks loose. There's just enough plot to keep it from being a War of the Worlds ripoff, with the Area 51 reveal being a nice twist. They use the aliens' weapons against them, crazy Bplot alien abduction guy gets his hero moment, yay we can all work together awesome USA USA!

This doesn't have nearly enough meat to make it satisfying. It's all rote movement from the beginning, with The Orb trying to recapture the mystery angle and not really paying off too well. The super ship is imposing but too much of a fortress to really be challenged by our forces so it just becomes a big parked thing. There's not even a oh no we relied on their technology and now they turned it on us/have a backdoor shutdown/used it to make us more vulnerable for this invasion trope to make the stakes more dire. It's all very lazy point a to B, and not a good enough popcorn flick to make it fun.

Plus it's silly that a spaceship that picks up China and drops it on London leaves without any gravitational fuckery. Or that the boat parked a few miles from the gaping 1 mile wide hole that goes down to the earth's core doesn't get sucked into the sinkhole or anything. :argh:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jun 25, 2016

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I really really really really wanted to like this. I absolutely loved ID4, and I still think of it to this day as the ideal blockbuster. There were about a hundred ways to do this thing right and only a handful of ways to gently caress it up. To no one's surprise, Roland Emmerich did what he does best: he hosed it up royally.

Holy loving poo poo can we chill out for maybe 30 minutes before the action kicks in? We need to get to know the new characters, explore their relationships to their loved ones, identify with their motives, and at least have a chance to give a poo poo about them at all. While we were reintroduced to the OG cast, it was done hastily and sacrificed substance for cheap laughs with quaternary (i.e. not even tertiary) characters. Other than the limited time allotted to character introduction, there should have been less than half of the motherfucking number of newbies. Lian Hemsworth was alright and all, but his character could have been combined with Cpt. Hiller and had the buddy-pilot dynamic with Whitmore's daughter. Boom, that gives an extra 20 minutes of character development. Chinese girl (it's sad that i have to call her this, but she was truly a waste of time and added nothing to the story) could be eliminated entirely. The annoying bureaucrat who follows David around could and should have been cut entirely, because Nigerian Warlord Badass doesn't need him at all to steal the screen. In fact, his character would have been enhanced greatly without the peon. Hemsworth's "brother" or bff or whatever could remain but be Hiller's bff / blood brother instead. Personally I thought he got way too much screen time to not get killed off for dramatic effect, but I can ignore that. Julian and the kids' road-trip was actually a nice side-story to ease the tension when needed. There's probably a lot more I could nitpick but my overall point has already been hashed out: way too many characters + not enough exposition = nobody cares about the new characters and everyone wants to see the OG characters for the entirety of the film.

One of my favorite bits was when the sitting president and her staff got wiped out. I was not expecting it at all from the trailers (despite the fact that one of them showed what we saw). It was a good change of pace from the original and I actually felt bad for all of them (one of the only times this happened in the film).

I could write out a long soliloquy about how Emmerich turned the disaster scenes into meaningless dribble compared to the city destruction in the original, but honestly I don't think the effort is even warranted when you can just go watch 2012 and hate yourself for wasting 2 hours of your life. Also.... lol, just lol at Dylan's mom going from being a stripper in her late 20s to getting a college degree, doing at least average on the MCAT, getting accepted into medical school, passing, and completing a residency in OBGYN. I know I know it's not far fetched b/c they prob laxxed the standards after most of the world got wiped out and it's 20 years later and all... but I still chuckled. I don't hold it against the film.

There were some truly good or even great ideas in the story. Just to name a few:
1) Continued alien resistance holding out in sub-Sahara Africa.
2) Warlord General Badass
3) AN ENTIRE NEW ALIEN CIVILIZATION APPEARING OUT OF FUCKIN NOWHERE!!! and...
4) our military immediately shooting them down without asking any loving questions at all (but drat was it cool when their spacecraft appeared)
5) Our entire Earth defense system, which took 20 years to build & mobilize getting shreded within half a minute.
6) Utilizing the new energy-being race as a segway into the next film.
7) POTUS and the line of succession getting wiped out
8) President Whitmore sacrificing himself at the end to mirror Randy Quaid's sacrifice

Unfortunately, most of those great ideas were ruined by poor execution, lack of character buildup, horrible pacing, or all of the above.

Yarbald posted:

Saw it last night, movie was fun and dumb in the worst way possible

Agreed.

Stupidest movie ever created, cringe-worthy, awful, awful, garbage. Nothing made sense, clunkiest dialogue ever written

WHY DID THE GIANT loving ALIEN SPACESHIP, WAY BIGGER THAN ANYTHING ON EARTH COULD POSSIBLY FIGHT, LEAVE?? We're less than a minute away from drilling to the Earth's core, utterly destroying the planet! Wait? The Queen's dead? TURN OFF THE LASER! Turn it off! We're leaving!

WHY?! Drill for another minute! Destroy the planet you've been trying to destroy for 20 YEARS!

Syfy channel movie

I realize this is a movie where I have to leave the real science outside the theater and not nitpick it and poo poo, so I'm not criticizing the film for bad physics or anything. HOWEVER, lol even if we lost our magnetic field and molten core, Earth would still be habitable for at least like 300,000 years. We get enough heat from our Sun and the atmosphere would literally take that long before it was eroded away by solar radiation.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Goldblum even comments on this as well! hahaha

Agreed. Easily the funniest part of the movie. I also thought it was a self-referencing shot at the typical Emmerich bullshit. Too bad the rest of the film made it a meaningless commentary.

SpartanIV posted:

Warlord guy was the best character. I continually hoped his whole gang showed up and just hosed up the new aliens in a ground war.

Holy poo poo I know! Whoever said the movie should have opened with the ground war in Africa was spot-on. Would have been worth admission alone if done well. And honestly, I'm going to end by harping on the fact that these are fairly obvious decisions to make with a sequel like this. This is one of the few movies where any college (or even high school) dropout could write a decent script and execute it well enough to be a lesser but solid follow-up to the greatest blockbuster of the 90's.

So when I see someone say poo poo like

Yarbald posted:

Saw it last night, movie was fun and dumb in the best way possible, gently caress the haters

...I'd just like to ask you to expand on why you thought it was decent even in a dumb fun way?

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

FilthyImp posted:

Part of what made ID4 enjoyable (I mean, aside from the awesome blowing up city effects) was the somewhat slow burn at the beginning. Goldblum's character notices a message in the satellites, deciphers it, and then all hell breaks loose. There's just enough plot to keep it from being a War of the Worlds ripoff, with the Area 51 reveal being a nice twist. They use the aliens' weapons against them, crazy Bplot alien abduction guy gets his hero moment, yay we can all work together awesome USA USA!

This doesn't have nearly enough meat to make it satisfying. It's all rote movement from the beginning, with The Orb trying to recapture the mystery angle and not really paying off too well. The super ship is imposing but too much of a fortress to really be challenged by our forces so it just becomes a big parked thing. There's not even a oh no we relied on their technology and now they turned it on us/have a backdoor shutdown/used it to make us more vulnerable for this invasion trope to make the stakes more dire. It's all very lazy point a to B, and not a good enough popcorn flick to make it fun.

Actually this guy summed it up better than I ever could.

quote:

Plus it's silly that a spaceship that picks up China and drops it on London leaves without any gravitational fuckery. Or that the boat parked a few miles from the gaping 1 mile wide hole that goes down to the earth's core doesn't get sucked into the sinkhole or anything. :argh:

Well, as I already said, I don't try and hold actual science against a film with obvious movie physics, but while we're tackling that beast...

lol at a spacecraft bigger than North America entering our atmosphere (even at a velocity as slow as our modern rockets) and not turning half the globe into a ball of fire. Forget the gravity bullshit, the sheer size of that craft would destroy half the globe during its approach due to atmospheric pressure change combined with the heating of the atmosphere during entry. Also lol OHHH NOOOOO they're gonna wipe out our core!!!! We'll only be able to live here for 250,000 - 500,000 more years! OMG!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If you sucked out the Earths core I think the planet collapsing on itself would be more of a worry.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

*Roughly a quarter of the Earth is sucked up, dumped and it's residents presumably killed*
"Welp. What goes up must come down. They like the monuments don't they?"

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
I think my favorite thing about the movie, that no one else seems to have noticed or commented on, is that Bill Pullman appears to be suffering from PTSD. He has disturbing dreams and visions, and he refers to himself at one point as "a crazy old man", but mostly it's in his tone of voice. You can tell something's not right in his head anymore, especially in the scene about halfway through where he's talking to Goldblum that sounds like a more reserved version of his speech from the original.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

THORIUM posted:

...I'd just like to ask you to expand on why you thought it was decent even in a dumb fun way?

Not going into a Roland Emmerich movie expecting amazing writing and character development helped a ton.

I went to see aliens blow poo poo up and get blown up. Mission accomplished.

Lukewarm Gazpacho
Aug 8, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Yarbald posted:

Not going into a Roland Emmerich movie expecting amazing writing and character development helped a ton.

I went to see aliens blow poo poo up and get blown up. Mission accomplished.

Yes..hmmm...yes but is it "art"?

Going to see this tonight and all the cries of "OH NO IT'S DUMB!!" make me more excited.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I think my main problem besides the bland characters and aliens not being nearly as menacing as before is the ending.
I can get past the whole "everything leaves when the queen dies thing" from a plot perspective, it's dumb but so is a lot of things in these movies so whatever. The harvester ship just up and leaving is really boring though. I need a big "gently caress yeah" moment like the end of the first movie when Randy Quaid saves the day and everything starts blowing up. It's way more satisfying than the aliens running away.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The ship leaving makes more sense if they are truly a hive mind. I'm not really sure how much I should spoiler, here. But the queen took over the fighter ships near the end, and maybe she was directly controlling the drilling crew and the crew that drove the harvester ship. The little drones may have a LITTLE autonomy, but I think there is room for argument, there. When the queen died, everything went into hibernate mode, and reset. That means the harvester ship going home and being equipped with a new queen.

I would think. Following the new logic presented in this sequel.

I think there would be bigger problems with the moon having its orbit changed, and the giant lump of mass that sat on the planet for a revolution or two that would have made a wobble in the spin.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ok, so after seeing it, there are a few (well, a LOT) of things that don't make sense:

If the aliens have these Harvester Ships, why bother with the city destroyers in the first place? The sequence of events seems like the aliens use the initial mothership as an initial strike then mop up with the harvester. But if they had just shown up with the harvester in the first place, Earth would've been completely hosed; we wouldn't know anything about the aliens at that point.

It bothered me that everything we learned from the aliens technology wise didn't seem to help at all against the second wave. Seeing the trailers made me think we'd be on somewhat more even footing, with space battles and tactics adopted from the previous war. Really the only edge we had is that we knew exactly what the Queen was after, and that we had many people with psychic links to the Queen.

Why did Whitmore need to get choked out by the alien just to find out what they were up to? Given the facilities, you'd think they could've just restrained an alien and had him grab its tentacle or something. It seemed like the only reason to do it was so they could keep re-creating scenes from the original film where Okun got grabbed.

Like others said, I thought it would've been a lot cooler to actually show African Warlord and co. battling the aliens in a ground war. This guy is literally the manifestation of the human generation that only knew fighting aliens, and the aliens themselves were unfortunate to fight a group of humans who had spent the better part of the previous century stabbing and shooting each other. So when they take the fight to the aliens they obviously seem much more mentally prepared to deal with how horrific it is (maybe not, maybe its all they know).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GORDON posted:

The ship leaving makes more sense if they are truly a hive mind. I'm not really sure how much I should spoiler, here. But the queen took over the fighter ships near the end, and maybe she was directly controlling the drilling crew and the crew that drove the harvester ship. The little drones may have a LITTLE autonomy, but I think there is room for argument, there. When the queen died, everything went into hibernate mode, and reset. That means the harvester ship going home and being equipped with a new queen.

I would think. Following the new logic presented in this sequel.

I think there would be bigger problems with the moon having its orbit changed, and the giant lump of mass that sat on the planet for a revolution or two that would have made a wobble in the spin.

You know, I'm getting pretty tired of all aliens being a hive mind. It always seems to be so they have some bullshit weakness the plucky humans can exploit. What's funny is if you look at many eusocial insects with a 'queen' like bees, its not like everything goes to hell for them if their queen dies; even Terran 'hive mind' creatures have lines of succession for such a contingency (making new queens).

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I got a lot of Ender's Game vibes from this, like it could have been a prequel.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

nexus6 posted:

I got a lot of Ender's Game vibes from this, like it could have been a prequel.

Yeah; I kept thinking "buggers" with the whole "hive mind" and "kill the queen and they all stop" thing.

I am really tired of the "load bearing boss" trope though. The original ID4 sidestepped that so neatly, they actually had to target and attack each ship, not just the mothership.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

You know, I'm getting pretty tired of all aliens being a hive mind. It always seems to be so they have some bullshit weakness the plucky humans can exploit. What's funny is if you look at many eusocial insects with a 'queen' like bees, its not like everything goes to hell for them if their queen dies; even Terran 'hive mind' creatures have lines of succession for such a contingency (making new queens).

jivjov posted:

I am really tired of the "load bearing boss" trope though. The original ID4 sidestepped that so neatly, they actually had to target and attack each ship, not just the mothership.

They generally do this to end whatever story it is cleanly (no need for a Scouring Of The Shire-esque cleanup story or potential that Our Heroes could lose) as well as making the victory powerful and conclusive (which is more appealing than squeaking by barely).

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I really enjoyed the original, for reasons including:

-Excellent sense of "one day in the future." How would CNN react to aliens arriving? President Pullman had a sense of guilt over failing to evacuate the cities earlier, and was torn up about having to deploy a nuke against Houston. He seemed to care when other pilots were dying.

-The alien's plan was more coherent, and didn't need an exact digital timer. Level all major cities, deploy ground troops. Game over, humanilures. The slow moving firewall of doom looked great and fit the tone.

-Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum were a charming team, a highpoint of the mid-90s.

I did not like Resurgence. It took few risks. I really think I preferred Battle: Los Angeles as that at least had coherent small-unit tactics.

Highlights of Resurgence:

-I liked that humanity bothered to bring bombers to fight the aliens instead of only using fighters.

-Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman were professionals and did their best with what they had. No phoning it in like Jennifer Lawrence in Apocalypse.

-Fun to see mothership's shields plowing through debris field.

Lowlights:

-The fighter battles were Star Wars prequel dull. Green laser against green laser. All heroes had plot armor. The fighter battles in the original looked great and had a great sense of underdogs, with guns and missiles against blasters and shields.

-What the heck was that handwaving before the big attack on the mothership when the President said "our drones will take down their shields?" It apparently works perfectly but never gets used again, even though being able to take down shields would have been super useful at the end.

-Wake from a 19 year coma, run down a hallway. Good symbol of the movie not caring.

-They had a huge opportunity to explore a world where probably 33% of humanity died in an alien attack that left behind super advanced technology, but didn't seem to get beyond a future looking Washington D.C. I was hoping for a least a hint of Minority Report cleverness, but no, diesel buses still are in use.

-Total indifference by leadership about a new alien ship arriving through a portal. Should we check it out with one of our many neighboring space tugs? Nah, gotta have a ceremony.

Can't recommend this even for novelty purposes. Just nothing to it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

After a few hours to digest the movie, I keep coming back to having enjoyed it, but it being entirely disposable and having no desire to go back and rewatch it.

The first ID4 is a fun rewatch every year or so because it captures the feeling of "what if this actually happened..." and does it in a fun cheesy way. There are a few big coincidences, but the characters introduced are largely thrust into greatness through being right place/right time. Here however the characters introduced at the start are all connected and seem to survive because of who they are.

Not investigating the orb ship is bafflingly stupid. It's the first alien contact since the war of 1996, and is either the arrival of a new attack ship, or first contact with a third party alien race. Either way monumentally important and worth investigating.

I did laugh when they went straight from the US president talking about how there have been no global conflicts since the war, to showing an area run by a warlord so completely that Earth defense forces haven't been able to access the lone intact alien ship.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

This was the dumbest loving piece of poo poo I've seen in years. But it could have been saved if at the and the iSphere said that it needed to recruit five teenagers with attitudes.
The new Power Rangers movie is also going to be the third ID movie, duh.

Pops Mgee posted:

I can get past the whole "everything leaves when the queen dies thing" from a plot perspective, it's dumb but so is a lot of things in these movies so whatever. The harvester ship just up and leaving is really boring though. I need a big "gently caress yeah" moment like the end of the first movie when Randy Quaid saves the day and everything starts blowing up. It's way more satisfying than the aliens running away.
I think it would have worked better if the ship just stayed there but they had a thing where all the aliens died because of psychic feedback or whatever other babble. Then it's "welp say hello to the new continent-sized addition to your planet" instead of feeling like an anemic reset button.

jivjov posted:

They even had a great opportunity to actually make this part of the plot. They could have said that the hacking thing from the first movie scared the pants off them and they changed everything so that now all the tech and aliens are directly wired up to the queen's psychic presence. Then there wouldn't have been any "so why don't we just hack them this time like last time" question remaining too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of odd how for a world that was trying to prepare in case aliens invade again they sure had a tiny military. Did they send literally everyone on that first attack run? Also, man, the guy who played Will Smith's kid was such a terrible actor.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Asia and Europe being pretty much flattened, wiping out most of humanity's population centers, probably causing a mass extinction, and loving up the climate probably could have used some more gravitas and exploration. It didn't try to be half as affecting as the destruction of three cities in the first movie.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The part where Capt Hiller goes to see his mom after the attack is just so bizarre it's hilarious she's in charge of the hospital somehow but the evacuation just kind of takes off without her or the new mother. The way his big rescue plan is to radio a future chopper to go pick her and the other lady up while he just kind of floats around watching and then the incredibly awkward way the rescue is done just to make it so that she's the last person on the roof and is killed. Also his "No, Mom, no" is so flat and barely had any emotion behind it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I was laughing pretty hard at that. They forgot about that character pretty quick afterwards.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This can't possibly be worse than the first one, right?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't think it is. But I was just surprised at how different they made the film overall. Usually, when a sequel comes 15-20 years later, it's just a boring rehash of the first. But this has a lot of new elements that give it a good leg up on those hack sequels.

It's still pretty bad. But I think Emmerich actually tried in places. It was just really schlocky and funny to me so I enjoyed it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The first one is a great action movie

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yaws posted:

This can't possibly be worse than the first one, right?

It can and most certainly is!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

It can and most certainly is!

That unfortunate. The first one is unmitigated garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Senor Tron posted:

If you sucked out the Earths core I think the planet collapsing on itself would be more of a worry.

Nope. Plenty of planets don't have a core. Next!

• Locked thread