Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Roger Ebert was really surprised that he didn't kill off the mayor in Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

In ID4 everything to do with the stripper wife and the dog and the president's wife was a waste of time. Also way too much time with the dysfunctional alcoholic dad and his lovely grumpy kids.

You should see the deleted scenes. There were even more stripper and oddly native american looking kids scenes.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
The entire sub sub sub plot of Quaid's kid needing medicine was probably the deepest most unnecessary plot but semi realistic with its randomness too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of Randy Quaid's character, I kinda like the idea that he was never actually abducted by aliens and he was really just a crazy person.
I mean look at the modus operandi of the aliens: they're not trying to harvest humans, or breed with them, or covertly take over the planet via mind control, or figure out how we tick - they're incinerating our cities with massive plasma death rays. I, uh, I don't think you need to do much poking and prodding to know that's going to be effective.

Alternately, given the knowledge revealed in the sequel that there's a whole alliance of alien races, the comedy option is that he *was* abducted, but by an entirely different race of aliens and he's been holding a grudge against the wrong species for decades. :v:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Speaking of Randy Quaid's character, I kinda like the idea that he was never actually abducted by aliens and he was really just a crazy person.
I mean look at the modus operandi of the aliens: they're not trying to harvest humans, or breed with them, or covertly take over the planet via mind control, or figure out how we tick - they're incinerating our cities with massive plasma death rays. I, uh, I don't think you need to do much poking and prodding to know that's going to be effective.

Eh I can buy that they would abduct people to study them. Maybe they had a bunch of biological weapons that are useless vs us. The first thing we do when we got the area 51 aliens was rip off their suits to study and figure out how to kill them. I dont really get why they'd return him intact though so maybe he was just crazy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That's the other thing, even if they do abduct humans to figure out how to kill them, what good does it do to let them go afterward? Isn't that counterproductive? :v:

I also like that when Randy Quaid speaks up late in the movie and outright tells the crowd of pilots that he was abducted and wants payback, everyone looks at him like he's a crazy person despite having irrefutable proof that aliens actually do exist.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

That's the other thing, even if they do abduct humans to figure out how to kill them, what good does it do to let them go afterward? Isn't that counterproductive? :v:

I also like that when Randy Quaid speaks up late in the movie and outright tells the crowd of pilots that he was abducted and wants payback, everyone looks at him like he's a crazy person despite having irrefutable proof that aliens actually do exist.

Maybe they looked at him like a crazy person because they had the same thought you did, that alien abductions in which the person is returned to rant about it still don't make any sense even if we know aliens exist and have visited Earth. Just like how the FBI really does follow and bug some people, but you can still be delusionally paranoid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think Randy Quaid was legit abducted by aliens.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Randy Quaid character and his family is some really nice implied / show-don't-tell storytelling - regardless whether it actually happened or not, his tale of alien abduction is how he copes with the guilt he feels over the death of his wife, which is the real reason he is a crazy drunkard.

His kids being a different ethnicity than he is evokes her absence in every scene they share, even though (in the theatrical cut at least) she is not once even mentioned.

It's the same little trick Toy Story pulls, where it's apparent that Woody is Andy's favorite toy because he is a hand-me-down from Andy's late father, even though none of this (even the father's very existence) is ever made explicit in the films.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I think Randy Quaid was legit abducted by aliens.

It's called "method acting".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
They did have the fighter that crashed in the 50s, which does lend some credence to his story. I'd imagine the aliens were more interested in finding out what the best way to systematically attack us would be - General Grey comments that the first wave of city killers were perfectly arrayed to cripple any global counterattack, that they knew just where and how to strike to cause the most damage with their sucker punch. I thought that was part of the same idea, that an alien vanguard arrived decades before the mothership to study a world on the schedule and have a detailed plan of attack ready when the mothership showed up.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Now that I rewatched the original I have realized a big thing:

The first movie was "a disaster effects your family" movie that just happened to have aliens. This movie basically had none of that beyond the base level of the fact every movie staring humans will always have some element of family interactions.

like rewatching the old one it's really striking how much the movie is a bunch of plot arcs about the effect of disaster on families (mostly that it brings them together, but sometimes it kills one person in your family which brings everyone else together) and the action scenes are just pizzazz between the family stuff. It's a totally different genre from the straight action movie this movie was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

From what I vaguely remember there was a prequel comic put out for the first movie that stated the abduction actually happened.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

muscles like this? posted:

From what I vaguely remember there was a prequel comic put out for the first movie that stated the abduction actually happened.

As a tie in media whore, I'll do some digging over the weekend and see what I can find. I know there was a comic book adaptation of the first movie but I never read it when it first came out.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

lizardman posted:

Did any of the characters in high positions even interact with Quaid's character until moments before the very end?

Yeah, but he exposed the alien weakspot and sacrificed his life to save a whole bunch of people. His actions directly led to the destruction of the alien fleet very very rapidly.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

I like reading movie novelizations since they tend to be based on the shooting script, so it's interesting to see what gets changed or omitted over the course of the film's production.

Is it that, or is it that Alan Dean Foster owns?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Is it that, or is it that Alan Dean Foster owns?

A little of both. I've read plenty of movie novelizations that he didn't write, though.

I actually saw Resurgence a second time tonight with my father (he had free tickets) and I actually enjoyed it a lot more the second time around. There's still a shitton of editing issues and I really feel the movie could have benefited from another half hour of footage to keep things paced a bit better and lessen the feeling of being inside a pinball machine, but stuff seemed to flow a lot better the second time around and I picked up on some interesting details that I didn't catch on the first viewing.

During the opening credits when the camera is flying through the star field, it slowly passes by a planet with its inner core sucked out, foreshadowing Earth's potential fate.

When Dikembe is translating alien gibberish, one of the prominent symbols is very similar to the key glyph from Stargate.

Someone else mentioned that a recurring motif in the first movie was family; the recurring motif in Resurgence is orphans. Jake starts out as an orphan, and by the end of the movie, so are Patricia and Dylan. Judd Hirsch picks up a bus full of orphans by the end of the movie. And the white sphere macgiffin talks about a planet of Alien refugees - entire species orphaned by the loss of their home worlds.

There's a couple missed opportunities for crazy visuals - when the harvester ship takes out the moon base, I was seriously expecting it to core the moon like an apple.
Likewise, maybe seeing the scope of the destruction from orbit after the harvester ship leaves at the end.

I also wish they hadn't redesigned the alien fighters - the design in the first movie was super cool, and I didn't like the new design nearly as much.

I really hope we get an extended edition on bluray, I think it could help the movie a lot.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
So the really big spaceship that touches down and grabs Earth has just the right curvature to take hold of the planet. Do they have different sized planet-grabbing ships for all the different sized planets in the universe? Or are these planet grabbers adjustable? Or did they only build one and they're really lucky they found our planet, which was just the right size? Or

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The main part of the ship is roughly a disc, it's got huge articulated legs for landing. You see them fold out when it hits the atmosphere, and start to fold back up when it leaves.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The main part of the ship is roughly a disc, it's got huge articulated legs for landing. You see them fold out when it hits the atmosphere, and start to fold back up when it leaves.

The point is that the apparent height of the discs from the ground is nowhere near what they'd need to be.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sir Kodiak posted:

The point is that the apparent height of the discs from the ground is nowhere near what they'd need to be.

The whole movie has a lot of issues with scale. Every time they show the queen she gets smaller. In the thermal graphic she's taking up like a third of her little command center ship and that thing is like 600 miles across.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

There was one scene where an alien got thrown around which looked shockingly bad.

Anyway, I was reading a thing yesterday and apparently Emmerich's original choice for the President in the first movie was Kevin Spacey but the studio refused and made him recast. That would have definitely been interesting to see.

He only needed to wait one more decade before he could terrorize any aliens.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

In ID4 everything to do with the stripper wife and the dog and the president's wife was a waste of time. Also way too much time with the dysfunctional alcoholic dad and his lovely grumpy kids.
I really, really don't think ID4 is a good movie, but I will say those plots work for me. At the very least, they provide a sense of scale for the destruction that is very clear. I literally have no idea how many people died in Resurgence. A few hundred million or is like most of humanity dead? I'm sure you could do the math, but both movies are brainless and ID4 was able to give you a good understanding of the destruction without you thinking more than it was.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I wonder if anyone in Canada died in ID4. You hear about the 3 ships in the US and everywhere else around the world but none others in north america. I guess canada and mexico got off easy?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The aliens didn't have the appropriate invasion visas for Canada and Mexico. Can't just let everybody invade without proper paperwork.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

zVxTeflon posted:

I wonder if anyone in Canada died in ID4. You hear about the 3 ships in the US and everywhere else around the world but none others in north america. I guess canada and mexico got off easy?

The Resurgence website (yes, there is one) has a list of the cities that were destroyed. Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver were hit from Canada. Mexico lost Mexico City, Monterrey, and Guadalajara. The US altogether lost Washington, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston, El Paso, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, and Miami.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cythereal posted:

The US altogether lost Houston
TWICE!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really, really don't think ID4 is a good movie, but I will say those plots work for me. At the very least, they provide a sense of scale for the destruction that is very clear. I literally have no idea how many people died in Resurgence. A few hundred million or is like most of humanity dead? I'm sure you could do the math, but both movies are brainless and ID4 was able to give you a good understanding of the destruction without you thinking more than it was.

The utterly apocalyptic implications of a vehicle large and massive enough to suck up the surface of Eurasia like God's Roomba are completely ignored and played like a theme park ride.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

McSpanky posted:

The utterly apocalyptic implications of a vehicle large and massive enough to suck up the surface of Eurasia like God's Roomba are completely ignored and played like a theme park ride.

We will probably never get a movie that handles the destruction of the Earth as a plot point as well as Saints Row did, but if we did it would've made a great Independence Day sequel

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

We will probably never get a movie that handles the destruction of the Earth as a plot point as well as Saints Row did, but if we did it would've made a great Independence Day sequel

Saint's Row 4 is roughly equal parts Independence Day, The Matrix, and Deadpool. Tricky as hell to get right on screen, but I'd watch it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Timeless Appeal posted:

I just irrationally hate grumpy teens

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

The Resurgence website (yes, there is one) has a list of the cities that were destroyed. Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver were hit from Canada. Mexico lost Mexico City, Monterrey, and Guadalajara. The US altogether lost Washington, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston, El Paso, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, and Miami.

Hahaha not even the aliens gave a gently caress about the Prairies.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Cythereal posted:

That's kind of weird because it's like a child's understanding of geography. Like you got to assume like Jersey City or Raleigh or Orlando or Portland and like a shitton of medium sized cities were also destroyed. Like it wasn't the concetrated laser blast that destroyed the cities like in the last movie but the massive tidal waves right? And those would be a big deal too. But no. Here is just a random list of cities.

The new US capital is Area 51 isn't it?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's kind of weird because it's like a child's understanding of geography. Like you got to assume like Jersey City or Raleigh or Orlando or Portland and like a shitton of medium sized cities were also destroyed. Like it wasn't the concetrated laser blast that destroyed the cities like in the last movie but the massive tidal waves right? And those would be a big deal too. But no. Here is just a random list of cities.

The new US capital is Area 51 isn't it?

I think he's talking about cities that got blasted in the first movie by the city destroyers, not cities that got bulldozed in the second.

Also the capital in the sequel is still DC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xenomrph posted:

I think he's talking about cities that got blasted in the first movie by the city destroyers, not cities that got bulldozed in the second.

Yeah, the movie's website shows every single city hit by city killers. There's a lot of weird cities on the menu. Here's the full list that were struck by city killers:

North America

USA: Washington, New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Dallas, Houston, El Paso, Denver, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, and Miami
Mexico: Mexico City, Monterrey, and Guadalajara
Canada: Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver
Cuba: Havana

South America

Brazil: Sao Paolo, Rio de Janeiro
Argentina: Buenos Aires
Venezuela: Caracas

Europe

Russia: Moscow, Saint Petersburg, Volgograd, Vladivostok, Petropavlosk
UK: London, Liverpool, Belfast, Birmingham
France: Paris, Lyon, Marseilles
Germany: Berlin, Hamburg, Munich
Italy: Rome, Venice, Naples
Netherlands: Amsterdam, Rotterdam
Ukraine: Kiev, Odessa
Turkey: Istanbul, Ankara
Belgium: Brussels
Czech Republic: Prague
Spain: Barcelona
Monaco: Monaco
Austria: Vienna
Hungary: Budapest
Poland: Warsaw
Sweden: Stockholm
Finland: Helsinki
Yugoslavia: Belgrade
Bosnia: Sarajevo
Romania: Bucharest
Greece: Athens

Africa

Congo: Kinshasa, Republique Nationale
Morocco: Casablanca
Egypt: Cairo
Libya: Tripoli
Algeria: Algiers
Senegal: Dakar
Ivory Coast: Abidjan
Nigeria: Lagos
Ethiopia: Addis Ababa
Kenya: Nairobi
Somalia: Mogadishu
South Africa: Cape Town

Asia

China: Beijing, Qiqihar, Harbin, Shenyang, Changchun, Pingxiang, Wuhan, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Macau, Ningbo, Hangzhou, Guangzhou, Kunming
India: Bombay, New Delhi, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Madras, Calcutta
Japan: Tokyo, Sapporo, Yokohama, Osaka, Nagoya
Pakistan: Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi
South Korea: Seoul, Pusan, Hiroshi
Israel: Jerusalem, Tel Aviv
Saudi Arabia: Mecca, Riyadh
Myanmar: Mandalay, Rangoon
Vietnam: Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City
Indonesia: Jakarta, Medan
Iran: Tehran
Iraq: Baghdad
Lebanon: Beirut
Syria: Damascus
Afghanistan: Kabul
Nepal: Kathmandu
Sri Lanka: Columbo
Bangladesh: Dhaka
North Korea: Pyonyang
Taiwan: Taipei
Thailand: Bangkok
Laos: Vientiane
Cambodia: Phnom Penh
Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur
Singapore: Singapore

Oceania

Australia: Sydney, Perth
Philippines: Manila

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I know it just lovely EU for a promo website but lol at places like Kabul and Mogadishu on that list.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
They destroyed thirteen cities in Africa and Johannesburg wasn't one of them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hadaka Apron posted:

They destroyed cities in Africa

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cool, New Zealand was totally safe.

Also Perth was the only other Australian city hit apart from Sydney? loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

Cool, New Zealand was totally safe.

Also Perth was the only other Australian city hit apart from Sydney? loving lol

If anything, Brisbane was more deserving.

• Locked thread