Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

The Game
Castle Crashers is a side scrolling beat-um up. Made by Tom Fulp of Newgrounds “fame”. This being a Newgrounds product, expect a lot of questionable humor and memes from years ago. While it can be played single player, it is more fun to bring 3 more bumbling fools friends along to not only be a bonding experience but also unlock a little more to the game.

The LP
This is a casual 4-player run of the game. I do not intend to 100% the game but we will probably backtrack for things we know we missed.

Meet the Knights

mateo360 the Leader
Will be trying to keep everyone going in the right direction. Most likely to die a lot.

dscruffy1 the Fighter
Will be throwing everything he's got at the enemy. You're not his dad, you can't tell him what to do. Most likely to be confused.

Miz Kriss the Girl
Will be excited by her Rainbow spell and the cute creatures she summons. Most likely to lose connection.

shibbotech the Medic Greedy Disillusioned Dick with a Flourish Fat Bastard Many Named
Will be trying to take everything and is not sorry for it. Most likely to swear and piss off Scruffy.

Episodes

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
reserved just in case

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I look forward to much hilarity.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The Ram was a good pun. Considering this is a Newgrounds game, I don't expect to see much of that in the rest of this.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
I always have time for Castle Crashers

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
My favorite character is the grey knight. He seems like the sole surviving mook in the king's guard and he has no idea how the hell he got himself into this situation.

He just signed up to pay for college man.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh hey, this game. I played this solo about one and a half times, which is around the point where beating bosses becomes pretty unfeasible for a single player. :v:

I'll be looking forward to this bumble-fuckery.

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

It seems like Kriss's audio is a couple seconds ahead of everyone else.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Spikey posted:

her audio sync point was missing but the points I listened to seemed to match up well enough :shrug:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Spikey posted:

She may simply be prescient.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

mateo360 posted:

her audio sync point was missing but the points I listened to seemed to match up well enough :shrug:

When fighting the trojan sheep thing she'll often say "owww" 2-3 seconds before actually getting hit by a bomb

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

mateo360 posted:

Yeah... It's really jarring during the boss fight. I forget if my dumb rear end forgot to hit record when we were doing the sync check or not.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Maybe lower Kriss' audio a little bit for future videos, since her normal voice is a lot louder than everyone else's? I found the out-of-sync moments far more jarring when they came through twice as loud as the rest of the video.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Alright, going back and re-editing everything. Moved Kriss's audio ahead by two second and lowered her. Don't know how long it will be before a new version will be up. Depends on if Movie maker decides to duplicate instead of moving my audio again.

edit: and if I have enough time before I have to go to work for 9 hours today.

edit 2: new version uploading now. Need to adjust the audio some more... so a new version probably won't be up till tonight.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 26, 2016

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

mateo360 posted:

Alright, going back and re-editing everything. Moved Kriss's audio ahead by two second and lowered her. Don't know how long it will be before a new version will be up. Depends on if Movie maker decides to duplicate instead of moving my audio again.

edit: and if I have enough time before I have to go to work for 9 hours today.

edit 2: new version uploading now. Need to adjust the audio some more... so a new version probably won't be up till tonight.

ok guys. so... there is actually an echo in one of the audio tracks (most likely mine) where I can hear Miz Kriss introducing herself in the call. If I line it up with that... it's still desynced from what is going on on screen. as much as I have been trying to sync it up, it seems to be desynced at points and synced at others.

EDIT: Yeah, that's as close as it's going to get for the first session videos.

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 27, 2016

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
New version is up.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

I'm Doctor Shibbo, and this is Jackass.
Nap Ghost
It's definitely a marked improvement, nice job mateo. I really had a great time doing the first session with y'all and look forward to recording again.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Seems nice and chaotic. I know the guy who did Isaac came from Newgrounds, too. Any other games out and about (that are acceptable/good) from that wasteland?

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Samovar posted:

Seems nice and chaotic. I know the guy who did Isaac came from Newgrounds, too. Any other games out and about (that are acceptable/good) from that wasteland?
http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6856292/

The criteria for getting on this list is that the developer was a Newgrounds developer. I don't recognize a bunch of these games, but of the one I do, quite a few are pretty sweet.

Also, Dying Light is on the list for having an obscure reference to a NG dev in the form of some fridge magnets seen in-game.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I'm just glad there's no friendly fire until the princess kiss part.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Watching these back reminds me that I simultaneously love and despise the three of you. Friendship. <3

I was not expecting rocks to be the main antagonist of that water section though.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Rocks and logs seem to be my downfall, as you can tell how quickly I died in both sections.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I think I got a bit farther in the game than you guys did, but not much else. The game can be fun, but it's much better in a local game. Less internet connection to worry about.

This game has way too much poop for me to stay interested, though. I think that's why I stopped playing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why are these pictures coming out so squashed?

bman in 2288 posted:

This game has way too much poop for me to stay interested, though. I think that's why I stopped playing.

I was a lot more miffed about how ridiculous the game got on hard mode and the weapon gating really.

Also the lack of a combo list.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I got to the very last section with a friend a few years ago, but the end part is very difficult with only 2 knights (and incompetent ones at that).

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Any accusation of competence leveled towards me will be dismissed with extreme prejudice. I have no idea what's going on most of the time and I don't expect that to change anytime soon! :v:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
I'm still trying to figure out what that giant black "thing" chasing you all through the watermill is supposed to be.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

^Probably one of these.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Did anyone actually TRY the defend button?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

Any accusation of competence leveled towards me will be dismissed with extreme prejudice. I have no idea what's going on most of the time and I don't expect that to change anytime soon! :v:

Try using more magic. Because that would help.

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost

Samovar posted:

I'm pretty sure I tried it a few times. Maybe. It didn't work out too well. I'm more of a dodge tank than a sword-and-board anyway.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Samovar posted:

Defend? What is this defend you speak of? I know of no such thing.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

bman in 2288 posted:

It's a Newgrounds game at-heart. See also: all of Ed McMillen's games.

RareAcumen posted:

Also the lack of a combo list.

Miz Kriss posted:

I got to the very last section with a friend a few years ago, but the end part is very difficult with only 2 knights (and incompetent ones at that).

I ended up beating the game but it was disappointing because you could just endlessly juggle enemies with the same two air combos, and there was no incentive to not do that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

I ended up beating the game but it was disappointing because you could just endlessly juggle enemies with the same two air combos, and there was no incentive to not do that.

Yeah, the final boss is a ridiculous slog with like five different forms. The combat depth is really something that'd need to be improved on if a sequel ever got put on the table.

Fun fact about the deer/doe/whatever section, if you're playing with less than four people the deer you're not riding controls itself so you can just follow slightly behind it and never run into a wall that way.

Also, grass and those tall really skinny trees sometimes have food or gold in them if you hit them.

I'm glad that you guys got some potions at the end. :)

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I forgot about my schedule and didn't remember to upload this til today. Oops.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I like how even the episode link photo shows just how poo poo I am at staying on any of the floating objects.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

whose ready for seeing how buggy the PC multiplayer can be?

shibbotech
Aug 21, 2014

Nap Ghost
Oh good, the first bonus episode. Wonderful. I thought for sure you'd have cut this one out.

Oh well, lovely multiplayer partying ahead! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

shibbotech posted:

Oh good, the first bonus episode. Wonderful. I thought for sure you'd have cut this one out.

Oh well, lovely multiplayer partying ahead! :toot:

The next one starts right when we get back to this part of the level.

• Locked thread