Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Recently my group of friends started getting into board games and having a game night. Along the way we've come up with some little tweaks we feel make some games more fun.

Deluxe weed is a game where you have five spots infront of you that you want to fill with weed. Which can suck if your hand is all low numbers. So we agreed you could stack one's onto the same space.

For clue we thought the dice were pointless and just took up time, so now you can just go to whatever room you want to when it's your turn.

Exploding kittens is a drawing game where a certain number of cards (the exploding kittens) according to players will eliminate you from the game. The rest of the deck is built to avoid that happening to you. We always play with max danger cards regardless if how many players we have.

Grand theft auto. Sometimes we just load it up and take turns rampaging. We have what is called "the 5 second rule". It started as 5 second to cover when you spawn and get run over right away but has grief to cover up to a minute of a lovely round that was out of your control.

Ride The Gravitron has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
Nerd alert coming.

When we play D&D and I'm the DM, my friends and I have started just calling it "Fantasy Dice Game" because I stretch the 5e rules so much that it no longer seems like the same game. I don't make my players roll for initiative or keep track of their spells too much. In fact, I find it fun to show my group the basics, play with real rules, then just tell them, "You can do anything you want within reason." It has caused a few fights so we've had to stop playing a few times when I roll criticals against the other players and start blasting mother fuckers.

I'm not sure if it is actually against the rules, but when my group plays Dead of Winter we are pretty upfront and honest with each other about our secret objectives without actually stating them. Like, "Hey, I'll play some food cards if someone can just give me all of their junk cards and I can't say why."

My game group also does the max danger for exploding kittens.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I think the rules in the drinking game Kings are so divisive that the only rule i can think of that is universal is anyone can and should drink whenever possible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I like to improve Monopoly by never playing it and throwing it in the garbage.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Where I went to middle school, we had a variant on Magic: The Gathering called 8-card speed, and 90+% of games we played there were speed games and not normal games.

-You can play as many lands as you want per turn
-You can play lands at any point during your turn
-During your draw phase, you can draw up until you have eight cards in your hand. You don't actually have to draw any cards though.
-If you have eight or more in your hand at the start of your turn, you don't draw any cards.
-You can, at any point, discard cards from your hand to draw an equal number of new cards
-You have no maximum hand size, so you don't have to discard cards at the end of your turn.

You could further customize it by specifying at the start of the match like "discard and draw twice per turn", or "ten-card speed."

It's a much more enjoyable game this way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

No screen peeking, Jeremy!!!!!!

It may actually be supported by the game rules but games of Munchkin are the biggest exercises in cheating I've seen. Between hiding cards on your person, faking your equipment level, using the wrong items or straight out theft, we don't play it too much anymore.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Variant on The Resistance (that social deduction game):

When deciding the folks to send on the current mission, the leader adds one more person than necessary (so for the 10-player game, the leader chooses 4 people instead of 3). The vote goes as normal. If the mission is approved, then everyone picked for the missions chooses their success or fail card and places it in front of themselves face down. The leader then chooses a person to kick off the mission. The leader gets to look at the card that the eliminated person played and that card is discarded. The mission is then resolved with the remaining players as usual.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Volume posted:

Exploding kittens is a drawing game where a certain number of cards (the exploding kittens) according to players will eliminate you from the game. The rest of the deck is built to avoid that happening to you. We always play with max danger cards regardless if how many players l

This is the best way to play this game. Especially if you play with the expansion kit which adds more exploding kittens. The game can get unbearably long if you don't increase the risk.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
No dad, god drat it, you can't be the banker you always cheat now let me be the dog. I want the dog piece you old motherfucker!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

im pooping! posted:

I think the rules in the drinking game Kings are so divisive that the only rule i can think of that is universal is anyone can and should drink whenever possible.

A rule to live by! *drinks*

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
If you insist on bringing Dominion or some other poo poo that involves an hour of rules lectures you don't get to play. The first game is going to be everyone else learning the rules while you ref/assist.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Kings Cup, a game I never play anymore

1 is waterfall - that is, you start drinking, and everybody drinks with you until you stop drinking. If you want to be a dick, you can finish your drink.
2 is you - that is, you point at someone and they drink
3 is me - You, picker of the 3, drink
4 is Whores - females drink
5 is race car driver/rhymes/there's a few games that go here. Loser of that game drink
6 is Dicks - males drink
7 is Heaven - point at the ceiling, last person to do this drinks
8 is Mate - you point at someone, whenever you drink from then on, they drink.
9 is Rhymes/variable game - Loser drinks
10 is Categories - Name a category (cars is a popular one). If someone can't think of something in that category, drink up
J is can be all sorts of things. Make a rule is a popular one. My favorite for this is something dickish, like little green man. If you drink without taking the imaginary little green man off your cup, you drink again. Never have I ever is also popular in this bracket
Q is Questions - Ask a question. The first person to answer that question loses. That is, you keep asking questions, but in a way that seems like you're answering the questions.
K is King's cup. You put part of whatever you're drinking in the cup, with the poor soul to pull the last king in the deck gets to drink. Usually, you want every drinking different stuff. Worst cup I ever drank was whiskey, orange juice, Monster, jager, vodka, and beer.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
HOUSE RULE #1: BAC OF OVER .08 REQUIRED FOR ENTRY

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

Iron Prince posted:

HOUSE RULE #1: BAC OF OVER .08 REQUIRED FOR ENTRY

Don't pass out with your shoes on.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Einstein posted:

CONDITIONS

A. You will make sure:

1. that my clothes and laundry are kept in good order;
2. that I will receive my three meals regularly in my room;
3. that my bedroom and study are kept neat, and especially that my desk is left for my use only.

B. You will renounce all personal relations with me insofar as they are not completely necessary for social reasons. Specifically, You will forego:

1. my sitting at home with you;
2. my going out or travelling with you.

C. You will obey the following points in your relations with me:

1. you will not expect any intimacy from me, nor will you reproach me in any way;
2. you will stop talking to me if I request it;
3. you will leave my bedroom or study immediately without protest if I request it.

D. You will undertake not to belittle me in front of our children, either through words or behavior.

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
A co-worker and I play a lot of Warhammer 40k campaigns, and we play a modified version of "grunt warfare."

The game has massive rules creep and bloat, so for our KISS style of play, we use the following rules.

1. No upgrades on any unit, ever. Basic listed equipment only.

2. No formations

3. You can only use one of each unit entry, except troops.

It really makes for some fantastic games. We combine these with combat patrol rules if we are doing games under 750 points. (Max two wounds per character, max armor for vehicles 33, max 3+save on infantry.)

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Volume posted:

Recently my group of friends started getting into board games and having a game night. Along the way we've come up with some little tweaks we feel make some games more fun.

Deluxe weed is a game where you have five spots infront of you that you want to fill with weed. Which can suck if your hand is all low numbers. So we agreed you could stack one's onto the same space.

For clue we thought the dice were pointless and just took up time, so now you can just go to whatever room you want to when it's your turn.

You sound like a fun bunch of chaps.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
I had a bottlecap with a goose on it so I made a new development card for Catan that says 'Move that Goose'. If you get the card you can put the goose on a resource hex and it will double the production of that hex.

We also had a teleporter for Risk so you could attack distant countries.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A White Guy posted:

Kings Cup, a game I never play anymore.

K is King's cup. You put part of whatever you're drinking in the cup, with the poor soul to pull the last king in the deck gets to drink. Usually, you want every drinking different stuff. Worst cup I ever drank was whiskey, orange juice, Monster, jager, vodka, and beer.

This flooded me with memories and nostalgia. King's Cup got me laid a couple times and deathly ill a dozen times.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

malal posted:

A co-worker and I play a lot of Warhammer 40k campaigns, and we play a modified version of "grunt warfare."

The game has massive rules creep and bloat, so for our KISS style of play, we use the following rules.

1. No upgrades on any unit, ever. Basic listed equipment only.

2. No formations

3. You can only use one of each unit entry, except troops.

It really makes for some fantastic games. We combine these with combat patrol rules if we are doing games under 750 points. (Max two wounds per character, max armor for vehicles 33, max 3+save on infantry.)

When I played when I was younger we basically threw the rule book out. Odd was a miss even was a hit, same applied for defensive rolls for cover.

Also when I was younger the apartment house rule was, you break the bong you bought a broken bong.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

I like to improve Monopoly by never playing it and throwing it in the garbage.

Also works for Betrayal on the House on the Hill

Razorwired posted:

If you insist on bringing Dominion or some other poo poo that involves an hour of rules lectures you don't get to play. The first game is going to be everyone else learning the rules while you ref/assist.

lol I've taught Dominion to grandmas in 5 minutes, sorry that your friends are dumb. But this is generally good practice for teaching games.

Boss Monster is a lovely nerdbait game but it becomes somewhat playable if you get rid of the "discard 2" part of setup and just let everyone keep a larger hand. Also toss the Jeopardy spell (which makes everyone discard down to a stupidly small hand.) Being able to hold more than a couple cards at a time means you might actually get to make a decision now and then.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

A White Guy posted:

1 is waterfall - that is, you start drinking, and everybody drinks with you until you stop drinking. If you want to be a dick, you can finish your drink.
2 is you - that is, you point at someone and they drink
3 is me - You, picker of the 3, drink
4 is Whores - females drink
5 is race car driver/rhymes/there's a few games that go here. Loser of that game drink
6 is Dicks - males drink
7 is Heaven - point at the ceiling, last person to do this drinks
8 is Mate - you point at someone, whenever you drink from then on, they drink.
9 is Rhymes/variable game - Loser drinks
10 is Categories - Name a category (cars is a popular one). If someone can't think of something in that category, drink up
J is can be all sorts of things. Make a rule is a popular one. My favorite for this is something dickish, like little green man. If you drink without taking the imaginary little green man off your cup, you drink again. Never have I ever is also popular in this bracket
Q is Questions - Ask a question. The first person to answer that question loses. That is, you keep asking questions, but in a way that seems like you're answering the questions.

Gecko: last person to get both feet and hands on the wall and not touching the floor drinks.

Jdog: you are now Jdog. Jdog has hunched shoulders and can only say "bro", " ah", "chur" , "yup", "naaaaah" and "I'm jdog". Jdog is not a smart man.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
When I was in college we'd play Monopoly, and every time someone landed on a "tax" square they had to leave a little weed in the center of the board, and smoke everyone else out. Whoever landed on free parking was allowed to load as big a bowl as they wanted and smoke it to themselves or share, whenever they landed on free parking.

Those were some looong games.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
When my mother and family play Scrabble we don't even keep score. The goal instead is to use as many of the tiles as possible. If you're playing for points, you'll sometimes avoid playing a good word because it might let someone build off it for a triple word score or whatever.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Maxwell Lord posted:

If you're playing for points, you'll sometimes avoid playing a good word because it might let someone build off it for a triple word score or whatever.

Well that's just common sense.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maxwell Lord posted:

When my mother and family play Scrabble we don't even keep score. The goal instead is to use as many of the tiles as possible. If you're playing for points, you'll sometimes avoid playing a good word because it might let someone build off it for a triple word score or whatever.

So it was how many tiles you used as opposed to the score of the tiles? Interesting...

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pretty much the only house rule we have for board games is we take turns in a counter-clockwise rotation. This is because one night we were drunk and forgot which way a clock turns, didn't realize it till halfway through the game, then it became tradition :shobon:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Scott Justice posted:

I'm not sure if it is actually against the rules, but when my group plays Dead of Winter we are pretty upfront and honest with each other about our secret objectives without actually stating them. Like, "Hey, I'll play some food cards if someone can just give me all of their junk cards and I can't say why."

My friends and I don't have a rule saying this because we deal with the idea of completing a secret objective for super bonus wins/traitor power. But one guy is such an arse about it he will literally ignore his objective and play with his hand revealed to all; and will get annoyed and try to exile you if you refuse to do so.

House rules we have:

In Munchkin if you can get away with cheating, it's ok. But as soon as someone calls you out on it and shows you have cheated; you gotta give it up. Examples include intentionally doing your math wrong so you come out 1 level ahead of a fight. Getting an extra item into play with out the Cheat card. Or once in my case openly discarding a random item card and saying "I'll gain a level. Your go."

In Grizzled you aren't allowed to share what is in your hand. You can say stuff like "I have to withdraw, nothing I have is safe to play." or "I suggest we all support PLAYERNAME" but you can't say "I only have gas masks" or "I'm gonna support PLAYERNAME" or "I don't have any left tiles."

In Monopoly you can negotiate payment methods that include the deal: you don't have to pay me rent when you land on COLOUR or NAME. Though I hate this rule as it results in people ganging up to eliminate someone early. We also have a No Bank Loans rule because someone always suggests it.

In Settlers of Catan you are allowed to offer an opinion on other peoples trades; including pointing out why trading someone is a bad idea if it will cause them to win next turn.

In High School in order to get a MTG game in before lunch break was over we played with the rule you can play as many lands as you want in a turn. This resulted in everyone playing Blaze or Life Stream decks.

Oh also with games like One Night Ultimate Werewolf saying "I think X is the Y because I heard their chair squeak" is cheating and we try to avoid this happening by encouraging people to intentionally squeak chairs, cough, knock on the table and all that.

Edit RPG House Rule edition: A group I played RPGs with once had the rule that if you rolled enough crits (so 20's in d20 games, lots of 6's in d5 ones, crazy high numbers in games where you had to go over X) all sorts of crazy stuff could happen. This was fun and resulted in my 14 year old character in a game of Cybergeneration (teenagers post-Cyberpunk 2020) doing the following: killing 3 adult guards with a gun that shot arcs of lighting in order to overload vehicles, using my Jammer powers to screech into the head set of a military class attack helicopter pilot enough to knock them out (considering I only had level 2 in the skill this was very lucky), bringing down ANOTHER military attack helicopter by rolling such an amazing run of 6's that I convinced the group of fleeing prisoners we had just busted out of jail to all fire on the helicopter at the same time with the flimsy mass-produced 9mm plastic hand guns we distributed to them during the break out and then having the GM roll so much successful hits that he declared one lucky bullet grazed a poorly serviced rotor and broke the whole thing; then when fighting a genetically modified creature (we called it a Chimera) trying to cook and eat a piece of it after we managed to bring it down by baiting it into a merc units base camp; after that having all my stolen weapons confiscated by a federal agent because the GM thought I was going too far off the rails I managed to cause him to crash his car in the city and escape custody while high on the creatures combat drugs and some super cocaine stuff that was a hold over from before I joined the game AND THEN stealing a Solo's (adult player character) car crashing it and walking back to the groups hide out so I could recharge my lighting gun which had run out of power. All of this resulted in me losing Humanity Points as a teenager. For reference Humanity isn't even a trait in Cybergen and typically you only lose humanity in Cyberpunk though replacing too much of your body with augmentations so you become more machine than man or being a total sociopath.

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Aug 15, 2016

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Gridlocked posted:

In Munchkin if you can get away with cheating, it's ok. But as soon as someone calls you out on it and shows you have cheated; you gotta give it up. Examples include intentionally doing your math wrong so you come out 1 level ahead of a fight. Getting an extra item into play with out the Cheat card. Or once in my case openly discarding a random item card and saying "I'll gain a level. Your go."

This is literally in the rulebook.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

A White Guy posted:

A variation for those of you who play this with the thumb on the table/gecko card: Viking Warlord. Viking Warlord cardholder puts on his helmet to go sailing (fingers up on sides of forehead), last one to start frantically rowing the longboat drinks.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Differential Diagnosis.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Gridlocked posted:

In Settlers of Catan you are allowed to offer an opinion on other peoples trades; including pointing out why trading someone is a bad idea if it will cause them to win next turn.

Wait, can you not do that normally? Is there some sort of "be silent when other players are discussing a potential trade" rule? Because we do this all the time.

Moving from nerd games to drinking games:

We had a ton of house rules for Beirut (beer pong) in college, though that's the fun of the game, really. It all starts with "sink the ball in a cup, opponent drinks it, when they have no cups you win" and grows from there.

Choice examples include:
If a ball missed, but in the course of bouncing/rolling off the table/floor it went back across the center-line of the table, the shooting team gets to re-shoot it. This led to a LOT of injuries as people would sometimes dive to swat the ball back to their side of the table. If we weren't playing in an open area (like a basement or outside) this rule was nixed.

If you knocked over a cup for any reason, the penalty was two cups. Yes, even your opponents. The idea was that the goal of the game is to drink beer, knocking over a cup means no one got to drink that beer, so you must be punished. We settled on two because the assumption was you're knocking over your opponents cup, so you needed to drink one to even them out, and then one more as a penalty. If the other team was feeling charitable, they might catch the cup before it hits the floor, but had no obligation to. This rule hits especially hard if you accidentally knock over your own cup, cause now you're down three cups.

The "NBA Jam" rule. If you hit two cups in a row, your teammate needs to say "he's heating up." If you then hit a third one in a row, he has to say "He's on fire!" and you then get your ball back and continue shooting until you miss, which realistically will be your next shot, but I have seen someone go on a 6-cup streak before.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Intoluene posted:

This is literally in the rulebook.

For us it needed saying. We have a play who doesn't understand cheating can be a fun part of the game.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wait, can you not do that normally? Is there some sort of "be silent when other players are discussing a potential trade" rule? Because we do this all the time.

Same for this, it needed saying to my group because people would get into arguments over how much input other people can have on trades that aren't theirs.

Gridlocked has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Aug 19, 2016

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
The one time I played Catan, I was with my older brother and a lot of good friends. My brother reached down to put down a road or something, and a huge baggie of weed flopped out of his coat onto the board.

I always thought it would be funny if he played it off by trying to play it as a resource. That's my favorite house rule (that never happened).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
In Monopoly, when a player bankrupts another player, instead of having ownership of all property immediately transferred from the bankruptee to the bankruptor, the bankruptee instead must convert all of their assets into cash (mortgage properties, sell houses, etc) and hand it over to the bankruptor. Then all of the mortgaged property is auctioned off by the bank in random order.

We came up with this when we realized that
A. We really liked the auction mechanic of monopoly but as the rules are written it takes place at a point in the game where you should just be buying nearly everything for cash value just to have property and trading leverage, and
B. While the bankrupting player still gets a tidy cash sum, it's not going to cause an immediate and unstoppable landslide if they get lucky and bankrupt someone with properties that win them more monopolies

Prior to this rule our experience with monopoly was seeing the first person to score a bankruptcy being the eventual winner almost every time, whereas now they're still going to have to make some smart moves to win properties that either have value to them or other players in an open auction.

• Locked thread