Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The faces in this game really freak me out.

Nice job esports speedrunning your way past the sniper there somehow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also, i don't think SGF mentioned it, but the accuracy on the revolver is loving awful if you're not basically a foot away from any shibito you're firing at. i forget if you can fire while moving or not, i assume not, but there'd be like at least a 75% chance of it missing if you were. i think having your flashlight on can also affect accuracy?

in any case, there's a reason why SGF basically shoved the gun right into the shibito while firing.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Wow now I understand why blood curse is effectively a new title instead of just something that shuffled the cast's ethnicity a ton. That entire opening bit drat. This LP is pretty good, and I wish you luck on this endeavor.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Considering how short these levels are, they're really intense. Who are these chuckle-heads and what the hell is wrong with them? But the one thing I find most creepy is when you go first person and the extra white noise kicks in and you look at your partner and they look kind of unnatural.

Also, SGF, can you provide an image of the hints from the game manual for the thread? I want to see if I can try and extrapolate whatever it is you do during the levels from those hints.

ares5566
Dec 14, 2012

I'm out there clicking cookies 8 hours a day, so that you can have a roof over your head and food on your table.
And this is the thanks I get?!
When you're sight jacking is the stick direction relative to the direction the person is from you or is it random like tuning a radio?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Wow now I understand why blood curse is effectively a new title instead of just something that shuffled the cast's ethnicity a ton. That entire opening bit drat. This LP is pretty good, and I wish you luck on this endeavor.

blood curse is a rare case of an 'americanized' version of a game actually turning out pretty alright. if you've experienced that at some point then you'll recognize some storylines in the original, as well.

ares5566 posted:

When you're sight jacking is the stick direction relative to the direction the person is from you or is it random like tuning a radio?

i don't remember 100% but i'm pretty sure it's relative to the direction from the player

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I'm having a spooky time with Blood Curse, then found this LP. I'll probably finish the LP before the game because man things get way to tense for me for some reason when I play it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
BC was fun, but being able to grab a weapon out of anywhere kinda ruined ut for me in a way. But overall, it's a pretty good remake.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Blood Curse is a pretty nice take on the original. It's a Japanese Americanization of Japanese Horror, how great is that? They added just the right amount of cheese to make it seem authentically "American", while keeping all the original details intact. It's very compressed at times and doesn't always live up to the original, but some parts (the one with the kid) are arguably even better.

Split-screen sightjacking is also a very good idea (and used for some pretty great gruesome effects), shame about the framerate problems.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

StarkRavingMad posted:

The faces in this game really freak me out.

Yeah, because they look like photos just pasted on a couple of polygons. So they're simultaneously relatively "photorealistic" and completely unreal.

Also, SGF, I just wanna say that I love your LP's, you've got a great, positive voice for it, you always sound like you're having fun and about to break into laughter when you introduce each video. It's cheering.

NeverKnowsBests
Jun 8, 2013
i remember getting the game back in 04 and never finished it because of how insanely hard the game was which led me to give up on it.
i eventually got the 2nd game and ofc i never finished it ):
i'm glad we got the game for the ps4 and i hope that they also will release siren 2 and the remake eventually on
PlayStation Store

p.s

The game was renamed Forbidden Siren in europe for some reason

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I wonder if there was some kind of a trademark issue in Europe or something that necessitated the name change, because otherwise it doesn't make much sense. I guess there's the off chance someone high up at SCEE thought "Forbidden" made the title sound more spooky or whatever.

SIREN: Blood Curse was released without any name changes, though.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 28, 2016

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012
That delayed reaction time on Kyoya at 22:43 suggests to me that the boy doesn't actually understand how he's supposed to act in this situation, but simply decides to go with what others are doing.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Johnny Joestar posted:

also, i don't think SGF mentioned it, but the accuracy on the revolver is loving awful if you're not basically a foot away from any shibito you're firing at. i forget if you can fire while moving or not, i assume not, but there'd be like at least a 75% chance of it missing if you were. i think having your flashlight on can also affect accuracy?

in any case, there's a reason why SGF basically shoved the gun right into the shibito while firing.

Having your flashlight (or playing in a daylight level) affects accuracy, as does distance. If memory recalls, taking a moment after aiming, like you're steadying your aim, helps as well. I'm not sure whether that's a mechanic or if it's just 'helping' because it means the Shibito get closer, but if I don't do that Tamon is so loving inaccurate it's mind-boggling.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Well, he's a professor, not a mercenary, and considering Japan's views on firearms, he probably hasn't found much time to practice with it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My father tells me from his time in the military and the sheriff's department that even really good shots--people who practice every day--can become terrible shots when stressed out, which I'm sure being in the dark with monsters might make you.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Takeuchi owns. I've never played this before but I really hope he sticks around.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I actually forgot that they introduced my favorite playable character this early.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Grapplejack posted:

Takeuchi owns. I've never played this before but I really hope he sticks around.

Keep an eye on his partner in later videos.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think generally all the 'main' characters get at the very least a small handful of levels of their own

also a fun thing to note is that each playable character functions differently in ways that may or may not be apparent. a more notable one is stamina, in how long they can run before needing to catch their breath. health is kind of an invisible value, but the characters also tend to have at least some small variance on that. a funny example of character differences is in speedruns, because there's a weird movement glitch people can do to move really fast based on the animations a character has, and how well it can be done will differ from character to character.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lotish posted:

My father tells me from his time in the military and the sheriff's department that even really good shots--people who practice every day--can become terrible shots when stressed out, which I'm sure being in the dark with monsters might make you.

Yep. That's part of the reason why the police, military, and if you have one worth the money, your firearms instruction course, teach a specific ritual to follow for proper shooting.

Get into stance (legs shoulder length apart, one leg forward, two handed grip (if pistol), barrel down)
Identify target, raise weapon
Breathe in
Aim down sights
Release breath as you squeeze the trigger (this releases the tension in your body and steadies your aim as the gun goes off)
Lower weapon (assuming you are not going to fire more rounds before reseting/your target is not still up)

Do it enough and your body will naturally do it when your brain is too scared to manually do it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I know this is waaaaay far in the future SGF, but do you have any interest in LPing Siren 2 after you do 1? The logistics are a lot more complex than this LP of course, but it'd still be really interesting to see how that game plays out again.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That whole thing with the radio demonstrates one of the main reasons I've never played Siren myself; the "adventure game logic" elements. I mean... sight-jack a particular shibito for long enough to see them react to a random broken radio, find the radio, find the well, bring up the bucket, put the radio in the bucket and lower it down the well, hide and wait for another shibito to come along and look down the well so that you can knock them in, all for... some undisclosed reason - and all without any indication or hints that you can do all that? It's pretty ridiculous.

(Admittedly the other main reason I haven't played it is because it was never released on PC.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be fair to a mild degree, there's not many things you can actually pick up in a level and you also don't have to sightjack the shibito to figure out the radio is there. a lot of levels aren't massive in size and there's technically no time limit, so chances are someone will end up stumbling into that shed to look for junk. i know i definitely did when i played this years ago.

knowing to put it in the well is another matter, but the well is one of those few things the player can actually do something with so some mild experimentation might have them luck into doing it

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Antistar01 posted:

That whole thing with the radio demonstrates one of the main reasons I've never played Siren myself; the "adventure game logic" elements. I mean... sight-jack a particular shibito for long enough to see them react to a random broken radio, find the radio, find the well, bring up the bucket, put the radio in the bucket and lower it down the well, hide and wait for another shibito to come along and look down the well so that you can knock them in, all for... some undisclosed reason - and all without any indication or hints that you can do all that? It's pretty ridiculous.

(Admittedly the other main reason I haven't played it is because it was never released on PC.)

Admittedly, if you get stuck on the game and haven't unlocked new routes or timeframes yet, you will receive a hint on which level to start, and if I'm not mistaken, also where about or what you have to do.

Yes, it's rather annoyingly unintuitive, but not wholly so.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Antistar01 posted:

That whole thing with the radio demonstrates one of the main reasons I've never played Siren myself; the "adventure game logic" elements.

Well, there's always the Hintline.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man, the pitch blackness of these levels is definitely a thing. I would be UTTERLY lost trying to play this game, the flashlight helps some, but you CAN'T have that on without getting stabbed in the face by zombiefolk.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

flatluigi posted:

I know this is waaaaay far in the future SGF, but do you have any interest in LPing Siren 2 after you do 1? The logistics are a lot more complex than this LP of course, but it'd still be really interesting to see how that game plays out again.

Yeah, seeing it in a better quality might help, but I feel still that it is the weakest entry in the serie. Weapons, especially guns lose their rareness, Shibito lose what make them so creepy here (how human they can act), the other enemies are just goofy, the characters can use some kind of crouch run that's more stealthy and quick than any other form of mouvement, and a few of their personal gimmicks aren't just fun. A good deal of that creepy atmosphere is just gone.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, the pitch blackness of these levels is definitely a thing. I would be UTTERLY lost trying to play this game, the flashlight helps some, but you CAN'T have that on without getting stabbed in the face by zombiefolk.

It isn't really the stabbing you have to worry about. It's the well positioned sniper overwatching most of the level with an Ariska.

This is what stopped me. My sense of direction is bad enough when I can see.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

A thing I don't know if SGF mentioned, but while you have a map, it doesn't show you your position, adding to the feeling of being lost.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

SuperGreatFriend, I love your work.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sightjacking as a concept is something I'm shocked hasn't been lifted by any indie horror title considering on how many levels it works.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Siren was always overshadowed by the Silent Hill series and, with Blood Curse, kinda fizzled out. It never got the respect it deserved, probably because it's on a par with Myst for obtuse puzzle solutions. Hence, no one really got to the good parts where poo poo gets fantastically wacky.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Boy I can believe that. I love how crazy these games get but I could never get there myself.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Oh good, I can talk a bit more of the shibito.

The thing is, the game does an absolutely fantastic job of making them creepy as all hell. You might get used to the heavy breathing when you switch between sightjacks, but then you hear them start to giggle and laugh to themselves. Oh and if they actually spot you? They get so giddy as they they try to very brutally murder you. Listen to an approaching shibito after it's spotted you.

Even the concept is unnerving. They're zombie-like, but they're far worse. Not only do they use tools and guns, they are intelligent enough to set up patrols and sentries, and notice when things are amiss. But the worst part is they, full stop, will not die. Eviscerate them? They'll get back up. Crush their skull? They'll get back up. Shoot them? They'll get back up. Burn them in an explosion? They'll get right loving back up. So long as the red water is in them they'll regenerate and keep coming after you. The best you can hope for is to trap them somehow. Down a well, under a boulder, something. Or escape.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Yeah, I've been meaning to ask, what is a shibito? In Japanese culture, I mean.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

bman in 2288 posted:

Yeah, I've been meaning to ask, what is a shibito? In Japanese culture, I mean.

I believe it just means 'dead person', I remember reading that about this game somewhere.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I believe it just means 'dead person', I remember reading that about this game somewhere.

Oh.

Oh gently caress, Kyoya's one of them now, isn't he? What with the bring shot in the chest and not being a corpse yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

'shi' in particular means death or something similar, which should give an idea. the name of them isn't particularly interesting in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Night10194 posted:

It literally means 'corpse person' or 'living dead', so not too far off.

• Locked thread