Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I feel like 'corpse person' would be a good translation since they're corpse-like and undead (in the purest sense of it, since they can't be re-killed at all) but they also act surprisingly human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Night10194 posted:

I feel like 'corpse person' would be a good translation since they're corpse-like and undead (in the purest sense of it, since they can't be re-killed at all) but they also act surprisingly human.

There's this too. You can see that not all of them are hunting. A fair number are busy building something, a couple even gardening still.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the way the shibito are handled in the game is actually kind of fascinating, but it's the kind of thing where the reasons why won't be apparent until the lp has gotten a fair bit into the playthrough

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yup. Not to backseat moderate here but we're inching into spoiler territory here regarding the Shibito.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Drakenel posted:

There's this too. You can see that not all of them are hunting. A fair number are busy building something, a couple even gardening still.

It reminds me of Dawn of the Dead in a way. You can see that they're 'locked in' to a small fragment of their previous humanity. In Dawn, it was the shopping mall, here, it's a seemingly random meaningless task. And when they get disturbed, the other part of them takes over, they hunt down whatever alarmed them, and, once it's been dealt with, they go back to doing whatever they were doing before.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure those archives were showing as unread because you checked them after you saved the game last time, then loaded, which reverted them back to unread.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Iceclaw posted:

Yup. Not to backseat moderate here but we're inching into spoiler territory here regarding the Shibito.

Yeah, I'm trying hard not to, sorry. I just appreciate how they handled it.

There's still more to wait on!

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

bman in 2288 posted:

Also, SGF, can you provide an image of the hints from the game manual for the thread? I want to see if I can try and extrapolate whatever it is you do during the levels from those hints.

Sure! Here you go:

flatluigi posted:

I know this is waaaaay far in the future SGF, but do you have any interest in LPing Siren 2 after you do 1? The logistics are a lot more complex than this LP of course, but it'd still be really interesting to see how that game plays out again.

I haven't actually played Siren 2, due to it not getting an NA release. If it got a PS4 release as well, I'd be all over that.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

supergreatfriend posted:

Sure! Here you go:

Thanks. I appreciate your efforts towards this project, and what you do altogether. It entertains me.

Now that that's been taken care of, I still have no idea how to extrapolate these clues. What does any of this even mean?! Whatever, we'll figure it out later.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.4 - Towel Preparation

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Okay. I see where this comes in. But hot drat, this game is way more intense than I thought it would be. When you guys called it "the ultimate survival horror experience", I really didn't appreciate that term until, like, 2 videos ago.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Remember when I said this was on a par with Myst for obtuse puzzles? I wasn't kidding. When you find out what all that setup was for, it'll arguably beat it.

As an aside, 'Kei' is pronounced as 'Kay', so you were close with the pronunciation.

bman in 2288 posted:

Okay. I see where this comes in. But hot drat, this game is way more intense than I thought it would be. When you guys called it "the ultimate survival horror experience", I really didn't appreciate that term until, like, 2 videos ago.

And we're still at the start of the game. Once it takes the kid gloves off (yes, they're still on), it becomes almost unbearable.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think that towel thing in full is the most obtuse puzzle in the game, unless I'm forgetting something huge.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
And now we get to the most infamous puzzle in survival horror ever.
This is duct taping a cell phone to a cat stupid adventure logic.

I actually quit playing this game way back when I first had Siren on the PS2 due to not having done the towel puzzle.

Someone made a picture on this forum about this puzzle that was funny.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

siren is a game that's really hard to play if you get stressed out easily and it really ramps things up later on, so buckle up.

also the frozen towel is obviously a secret melee weapon that will destroy a single shibito if you hit them with it. it of course breaks after one strike.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

also the frozen towel is obviously a secret melee weapon that will destroy a single shibito if you hit them with it. it of course breaks after one strike.

That's the most sensible way to use the towel! Wait...
I actually thought the secondary objectives were optional in this game to beat it.
Imagine getting as far as you can without freezing a soaked towel in a video game, and suddenly find out you need a frozen towel ....
I still tried to play through Siren without the towel, because I had already replayed a lot of these other stages because I didn't get those other objectives..
(Face palm shame here)

Godnnelg fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 1, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The sounds the fuckers make when you're sight-jacking them are horrifying. Especially if they see you and get so, so excited.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

flatluigi posted:

I think that towel thing in full is the most obtuse puzzle in the game, unless I'm forgetting something huge.

There's at least two I can think of that are about as bad in different ways. Not sure if I can or should even hint at them, at least for now though. They're pretty awful though.

But yeah the towel puzzle can go gently caress itself, if only because honestly would you think to check the sink and freezer, then think to put the towel in there?

Somehow I'm glad that when I rented this game the first time it didn't come with a manual, because those hints are the most obtuse things. I can only parse what like three or four of them actually apply to. Seriously, if you're playing this game for yourself, use a guide when you do get stuck, doubly so if you're trying to go for all the archives.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!

supergreatfriend posted:

P.4 - Towel Preparation

Oh god, the Towel.

I drew this for another Siren LP a long time ago, but the poor guy wasn't able to finish.

It's yours now, SGF.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The sounds the fuckers make when you're sight-jacking them are horrifying. Especially if they see you and get so, so excited.

Ive always had a slight problem playing Siren while wearing headphones because sight jacking Shibito while they're just kinda milling around and breathing would lull me to sleep. Then they'd start giggling and I'd be hosed.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This whole game is nonsense

it's actually super tense and scary, and the weird nonsensical adventure game puzzles kind of ruin that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Nice Hitchhiker's Guide reference.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Grapplejack posted:

This whole game is nonsense

it's actually super tense and scary, and the weird nonsensical adventure game puzzles kind of ruin that.

eh, there's only a couple of weird, outright obtuse puzzles/item interactions and overall the game is still one of the straight up creepiest ones i've ever seen. other series don't particularly get it as 'right' as the aesthetics in the siren games do.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
It feels like the obscure things you need to do to unlock later objectives are there because they needed to get the player moving through the environments in a particular way (working out how to get past shibitos in the process), and couldn't think of something more organic. It's sort of a shame, since otherwise it makes for interesting (if a little clunky) stealth gameplay, especially with the sight-jacking mechanics thrown in.

The atmosphere and creepiness are really where it's at though, yeah - and it gets considerably creepier than what we've seen so far.

On a different note, has anyone else seen the Siren movie? It follows a different story to the game/s, from memory. I saw it a while ago now - it was... okay.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Antistar01 posted:

On a different note, has anyone else seen the Siren movie? It follows a different story to the game/s, from memory. I saw it a while ago now - it was... okay.

Is there a British dub of the movie?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Antistar01 posted:

Yeah, I watched it a few years back. It's typical J-horror, but, other than a few visual references and the siren itself, has next to nothing to do with the game. It's not bad if you're curious about it, but you're not missing out on a thing if you pass on it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It seems like lot of the games with good horror has clunky to abysmal gameplay: Deadly Premonition's clunky tank controls, Siren's stonewall difficulty and how punishing it is if you gently caress up, etc.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

Grimwit posted:

Oh god, the Towel.

I drew this for another Siren LP a long time ago, but the poor guy wasn't able to finish.

It's yours now, SGF.

YES! This pic! It really says it all about this puzzle.
Perhaps though, the other guy just used the Morphogenetic field to transmit knowledge to Kei that he really needed a frozen towel.
Yes, that helps allow this to make more sense!
Morphogenetic fields!

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The gently caress is a morphogenetic field?

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

bman in 2288 posted:

It's explained in this game, 999:

http://lparchive.org/999-Nine-Hours-Nine-Persons-Nine-Doors/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

bman in 2288 posted:

What do you think this is a picture of:

WRONG! But if more people knew the correct answer, so would you.

Now I'm doing a handstand. It makes you more likely to do a handstand. Even if you don't know I'm doing a handstand.

Got it? Now let me tell you about this mummy on a copy of the Titanic...

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

StarkRavingMad posted:

What do you think this is a picture of:

WRONG! But if more people knew the correct answer, so would you.

Now I'm doing a handstand. It makes you more likely to do a handstand. Even if you don't know I'm doing a handstand.

Got it? Now let me tell you about this mummy on a copy of the Titanic...

Reading this made me wonder if I had just had a microstroke.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Siren is a wonderful game.

(So is 999, but that's not the subject here.)

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
I like the sequel, Forbidden Siren 2, much better personally. I was able to play through most of it, despite the gfx bugs on my jail-broken PS3.
I think the most recent emulator has fixes for the bugs, maybe?

There should be some way to ask Sony to put the game on PSN for us Americans - the game has been translated into English.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Siren 2 emulates very well with PCSX2, so if you're an Amerigoon that's not a bad way to play it.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
But Siren 2 is a bad game that pretty much destroy any kind of atmosphere the first one has. When you can club Shibitos to death with a little girl using a golf trophy, something went wrong. :colbert: (Just kidding. I don't like the game, but if you do so, well, more power to you).

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Iceclaw posted:

you can club Shibitos to death with a little girl using a golf trophy

This sounds amazing, but given the context, I'm afraid it'll be creepy and not in the horror genre way.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

As one of the comments on the third video points out, I am completely convinced that the professor is a disciple of Garth Marenghi.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xenolalia posted:

As one of the comments on the third video points out, I am completely convinced that the professor is a disciple of Garth Marenghi.

As I suspected.

The Scots are behind everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Xenolalia posted:

Garth Marenghi.

Who?

• Locked thread