Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T4-N1jRuQA

tl;dw: He's a satire of knock-off King/Koontz types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You should totally watch Darkplace, its only like six episodes and its great.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Xenolalia posted:

As one of the comments on the third video points out, I am completely convinced that the professor is a disciple of Garth Marenghi.

That's bad news for his student then. Hope she likes the Eastern Bloc.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

"Do not miss a running head"

You gotta be fuckin' kidding!

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

Iceclaw posted:

But Siren 2 is a bad game that pretty much destroy any kind of atmosphere the first one has. When you can club Shibitos to death with a little girl using a golf trophy, something went wrong. :colbert: (Just kidding. I don't like the game, but if you do so, well, more power to you).

That's a fair criticism of Siren 2 actually.
To me, Siren 2 is more fun to play if you like action games as well as horror games..
That said, most of the playable characters are overpowered, or they can just knock out a Shibito and steal their weapon (including the sniper shibitos).

Yea, Siren's creepy atmosphere works when you have nothing to defend yourself with far better than when you have two soldiers shooting their way through an amusement park.
But after a while of constantly dying and having to replay the same missions because you missed the mandatory secondary objectives.... well, I got frustrated more often than scared unfortunately.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Lamprey Cannon posted:

"Do not miss a running head"

You gotta be fuckin' kidding!

:gonk:
Oh God, why!?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

what the gently caress is that from?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

everyone please watch john carpenter's 'the thing'

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

The other two films in his apocalypse trilogy are interesting, too! They are Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

That'd explain it, I changed the channel after the bit with the huskies.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Johnny Joestar posted:

Actually I did, about 3 days ago. I think I've easily seen it a good 30-odd times by now, it's just one of those films I can throw on and enjoy. Shame the Bluray doesn't have an updated commentary though.

RedTonic posted:

The other two films in his apocalypse trilogy are interesting, too! They are Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness.

Prince of Darkness never gets any love, which makes me sad. And Mouth of Madness is basically forgotten by everyone, which is also sad, but less so.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Prince of Darkness never gets any love, which makes me sad. And Mouth of Madness is basically forgotten by everyone, which is also sad, but less so.

They've both got their merits. Related, I just started watching Dario Argento's films and... wow. I didn't realize how blatantly Clock Tower and Nightcry drew on those movies. Right down to soundtracks, even!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Godnnelg posted:

But after a while of constantly dying and having to replay the same missions because you missed the mandatory secondary objectives.... well, I got frustrated more often than scared unfortunately.
And this why I never wanted to play Siren, it just sounds and looks like it would stop being scary and just become frustratingly rote and boring after dying so much. It's a tricky balance in horror games with the threat of dying, you can't make them too easy, but you can't have them be too difficult either.

RedTonic posted:

They've both got their merits. Related, I just started watching Dario Argento's films and... wow. I didn't realize how blatantly Clock Tower and Nightcry drew on those movies. Right down to soundtracks, even!
Goblin was also a big influence for Castlevania's soundtracks too.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 3, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, it seems like a lot of horror games owe a great deal to those movies and to Goblin -- specifically, Japanese games owing a lot to an Italian director and an Italian progrock band... It's an interesting convergence and I wonder how it came about.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Accordion Man posted:

Oddly enough, I once saw a video of scenes from Siren set to a Goblin track. Can't remember the song, but it was creepy as poo poo.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Kei's level here demonstrates a pretty neat part of this game, in that areas don't remain static between stages. The shibito's random activities, like the guy hammering on his house, and other stuff like things that the player does along the course of a level all do a really good job of giving you a sense of dramatic difference of an area across the timeline. One person might find their way through an area mostly unmolested, but the next person to come through five hours later might find a door boarded up where it wasn't before and have to find a new way around a wall as a result, and it keeps things from feeling boring just because this is the fourth time you've played through the same area now.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think there's a stigma about games reusing levels, most of the time for good reason, because a lot of the time the games in question will use it as an excuse to be lazy, but i think siren pulls it off well in that there's only so many overall areas you're going to go through but with the time element thrown in it takes the opportunity to mix things up quite a bit from level to level. it actually comes off as mildly 'realistic', for however much that word can apply to it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Prince of Darkness is certainly the weaker of the three, but I always enjoyed it, the concept is neat and despite obviously being made on a budget, Carpenter as usual manages to make some creepy effects happen. And "In the Mouth of Madness" is really excellent, but in my experience it's REMARKABLY hard to find a physical or digital copy, or at least it was some years back when I was trying to hunt it down to show it to some friends. Which probably accounts for why so few people have seen it or heard of it.

But seriously, everyone should go watch those three movies.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

PurpleXVI posted:

Prince of Darkness is certainly the weaker of the three, but I always enjoyed it, the concept is neat and despite obviously being made on a budget, Carpenter as usual manages to make some creepy effects happen. And "In the Mouth of Madness" is really excellent, but in my experience it's REMARKABLY hard to find a physical or digital copy, or at least it was some years back when I was trying to hunt it down to show it to some friends. Which probably accounts for why so few people have seen it or heard of it.

But seriously, everyone should go watch those three movies.

I have a copy of In The Mouth of Madness on HDDVD. No, not Blu-Ray, HD DVD. :negative: It won't play in blu ray players.

In all honesty though, all three of these movies are must watch, no matter your level of interest in that sort of thing, they are all excellent films with excellent acting and effects.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm hoping Arrow Video get the rights to rerelease it, they've done some outstanding releases of cult movies like The Burbs, Society and the first three Hellraiser movies. A deluxe release of those two would be a day one purchase.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I'm hoping Arrow Video get the rights to rerelease it, they've done some outstanding releases of cult movies like The Burbs, Society and the first three Hellraiser movies. A deluxe release of those two would be a day one purchase.

As far fetched and implausible it is, I kinda wish they would do an updated director's commentary for all three, since John Carpenter is still alive. I'd like to see what he thinks of his older films upon rewatching them. I'd especially like to at least see some sort of director's commentary of In The Mouth of Madness, since apparently the filming for that was something else, the main actress was apparently such a pain to work with they wrote her out of the last third of the movie, and then lampshaded it in the film itself. (I have no idea how much of that is true but it's what I've read on the matter at the very least.)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RedTonic posted:

Reading this made me wonder if I had just had a microstroke.

fjladjfe youguy I think I'm haivng a micro strokeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedfZ

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

As far fetched and implausible it is, I kinda wish they would do an updated director's commentary for all three, since John Carpenter is still alive. I'd like to see what he thinks of his older films upon rewatching them. I'd especially like to at least see some sort of director's commentary of In The Mouth of Madness, since apparently the filming for that was something else, the main actress was apparently such a pain to work with they wrote her out of the last third of the movie, and then lampshaded it in the film itself. (I have no idea how much of that is true but it's what I've read on the matter at the very least.)

The commentary track on The Thing is amazing, I'll note, it's just wonderful hearing how they executed all those effects with just, you know, practical effects, zero CGI. Also just generally a ton of funny stories about the shooting.

I'd probably stab a man stone cold for a similar track on ItMoM and Prince of Darkness.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Chokes McGee posted:

fjladjfe youguy I think I'm haivng a micro strokeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedfZ

landing succsfl

Siren's aesthetic reminds me of the PSX game Vagrant Story's. Really atmospheric maps that are super claustrophobic. I have to say I like it more than Silent Hill.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

:confused: What are you people talking about? There is a blu-ray release of In the Mouth of Madness, and it's got a director's commentary as a special feature. There is also a release of Prince of Darkness with director's commentary.

edit 2: For god's sakes, they released it back in 2013. The blu-ray's been in the stores for two years. :v:

And More fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 4, 2016

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

And More posted:

:confused: What are you people talking about? There is a blu-ray release of In the Mouth of Madness, and it's got a director's commentary as a special feature. There is also a release of Prince of Darkness with director's commentary.

edit 2: For god's sakes, they released it back in 2013. The blu-ray's been in the stores for two years. :v:

Well that'll show me for not checking up on a particular movie release for two years and posting stuff on an internet forum. I guess I know what I'm spending my money on next time I get paid. :v:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
"You will play as Kyoyo, you will not play as Kyoyo."

The Stanley Parable went to a dark, dark place :ohdear:

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Of all the excellent qualities pointed out that make this game so scary, I think the hugest contributor is the soundtrack and sound design. Just listening to the title screen creeps me the gently caress out. That siren doesn't sound right.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I always enjoyed Egomaniac's big Siren LPs, but I think he ran into some personal stuff and couldn't do his remastered versions.

I did like the original Siren the best, although Siren 2's monster design seriously creeps the gently caress out of me and Siren: Blood Curse does that too.

Should be interesting to get another take on the series, since I'm absolutely unable to play these types of games at all.

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.5 - Questionable Choices

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
:allears: I love Miyako already.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So this hint is "Pay attention to the steps which start from the lower part of a river*". I think that was referring to that tree with the rotten base that we saw.

Man, that's kind of obtuse.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

One on one, melee Shibito are no match for a melee equipped PC.

Just, you know. Two of them are fatal and if a gun comes out all bets are off.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's beginning to dawn on me just how much the games I was playing at the time when Egomaniac's LP happened colored my perception of what was happening in the game/the LP.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

The music on this stage makes me feel not okay. Thanks for mostly talking over it.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I couldn't remember if the pillars were in this game or the sequel. IIRC, the sequel has something similar, but less sadistic. As far as this game goes, however, the pillars are pretty infamous. You'll see why as the game progresses.

FAT BATMAN posted:

The music on this stage makes me feel not okay. Thanks for mostly talking over it.

If it's possible for music to feel 'sick', this game manages it. I really like it though, which probably says a few things about me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess in mild defense of that bit, it's always a good idea to look all around the little vistas you can find. i forget but i think the ledge can be seen before getting rid of the bush? it's still under puzzle logic of 'why the hell did you do that', but a lot of this stuff is usually poo poo you'd end up doing on repeat plays of the level when you figured out that it's needed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This is gonna be good. I, too, hope you get the chance to record the extended conversations.

A note for video 1: "Ankoko butoh" refers to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butoh , an early form of abstract Japanese theatric dance. It's been a source of inspiration for a number of horror things. see, e.g.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUjhQLB0hXY

The puzzles all make a certain degree of sense, for reasons that are spoilers.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Fun fact: After learning that Miyako is blind, it can be surprisingly easy to miss that the dog she was crying over was her seeing-eye Dog. Literally, in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I like the Siren soundtrack a lot. I sometimes add it to other games, even (adding it to the dungeon tracks in Skyrim, that sort of thing). It's very creepy.

There's an effective recurring vocal theme (we heard it right at the start of the game) that features in my favourite track, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kMBksVo-I

• Locked thread