Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I noticed the followers do make sounds when they're hurt or lost. Do those dialog and reaction sounds alert the shibito? I always get nervous when the follower starts talking and it'd suck to be pounced on by monsters because of noise you can't control.

"Oh! Professah-"
"poo poo SHUT THE gently caress UP THEY'RE RIGHT THERE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.8 - Dr. Wrench

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This is the stage that I couldn't beat when I rented the game back in the day. I could get pretty far but couldn't close the deal.

I wonder if an update to a game like this would work with a Dark Souls like death mechanic, where you have checkpoints through the level that revive you, but switches flipped and items collected remain flipped and collected. Sort of bringing the timey-wimey elements of the game more to the fore.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
You remembered correctly. If you don't do enough of the secondary objectives, the game will eventually tell you to do it again but actually try this time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You mentioned that the glass didn't seem to distract the sniper and that's true, but what it does do is make him rotate to face wherever the noise of the glass is coming from. I'm pretty sure that's what keeps you from approaching the building from the south and doing that instead of turning on the generator, but I could be wrong.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Shiro's about the point where the creepiness factor of the game decides to take a sharp turn upwards. Everyone else until now has had standard "Get to this exit" missions, sure, but this is the first one where you're just plunked into the middle of a map and told to fend for yourself, rather than starting at one end somewhere and it's obvious you have to get to the other side. Being in dark rainy woods in the middle of the night surrounded by monsters with no immediate way to defend yourself and a lot of guys who can ace you in one or two shots? Just a little scarier than Tamon trying to skirt a sniper or Kei wandering around without a weapon like a moron.

The knowledge that he was passed out in these woods while someone or something dug a pretty big hole out of the ground right next to him? A LOT scarier.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nothing good ever happens when you begin the preparations to summon the God.

Nothing.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Congrats, Derek. You've successful creeped me out even more than I had expected. And looking at that loop business just reiterates to me that this is totally a game where some of our protagonists will not make it. I don't know why I feel that way, but I do and it's pretty despair-inducing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i genuinely don't want to overhype this game or anything (it's still my favorite horror series by far) but if you're thinking it's just a simple 'unkillable undead avoidance game' then you're in for a treat. the game does a really good job of setting a stage and making small details important

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The thing I like about this stage is how it starts hinting that some of the characters have agendas we're not privy to. Kyoya's stages have been straightforward - get from A to B. Tamon seems to know something's up, but still, nothing too unusual with his actions. Shiro, on the other hand, he wants to go somewhere specifically, even if we're in the dark (:haw:) about what that may be. Maybe he's reporting to someone, maybe he's on the trail of whatever was in that hole, maybe he just wants to get the gently caress out of town, but it's clear he has somewhere he has to be ASAP.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i genuinely don't want to overhype this game or anything (it's still my favorite horror series by far) but if you're thinking it's just a simple 'unkillable undead avoidance game' then you're in for a treat. the game does a really good job of setting a stage and making small details important

Oh yeah, this is a game that rewards remembering otherwise insignificant details (and occasionally reading between the lines). Next to nothing in this game is accidental.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Several, unrelated things:
1. I love the Shibito's voices! They're so wonderfully creepy!

2. I assume that the various unattempted stages in the link navigator are just what we would get from various secondary objectives?

3. I'm kinda thrown off by the fact that a Shibito distracted by some of these things (the flare in particular) just stays looking at what distracted them. Forever. I appreciate that the game isn't putting you on a one-try timer three times in a single stage, but it kinda hurts the immersion some as well. Maybe I'm just being picky.

4. I love the disjointed stage mechanics, jumping around through time all willy-nilly. And the loop system really makes you feel trapped like the characters. Some of my favorite media has involved trying to break out of a time loop, and this gets that feeling across quite nicely.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I suspect part of why they stay distracted is part of why they seem to be endlessly performing certain tasks or sitting in their blind waiting for humans to wander into their scope. The Shibito seem to stay attentive to something once it grabs their attention.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Night10194 posted:

I suspect part of why they stay distracted is part of why they seem to be endlessly performing certain tasks or sitting in their blind waiting for humans to wander into their scope. The Shibito seem to stay attentive to something once it grabs their attention.

True, they don't seem to suffer the human condition of 'gets bored and wanders off.' Fuckers are dedicated to their patrols. If they see a door open they are going to regularly check around it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also there's something that comes up later that, for me, takes that behavior and shifts it from immersion-breaking to immersive.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, I remember where I stopped now and I never really found out what's going on, so I'm just speculating, but if this is a land of the underworld the dead being stuck repeating a sort of strange half-life in a fog for all of eternity seems pretty normal.

Then again, I know very little about the Japanese underworld and the underworlds in the religions of my specialty are either: Kind of there (Sheol) or Oh gently caress (Hell).

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
I love how plain and straightforward that letter is. Time to summon God folks!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I like how it's not even the priest's idea. The Kojiro family is important enough they can make the doctor deliver their mail and make the priest conjure up god.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lotish posted:

I like how it's not even the priest's idea. The Kojiro family is important enough they can make the doctor deliver their mail and make the priest conjure up god.

The little blind girl is from their family, right? I'm thinking (given she is afraid of her brother and isn't in the family record) that she's some sort of Alessa/Cheryl type figure who is to be used in the summoning of the god and the family was basically handed her and given responsibility for prepping her to be blood sacrificed or whatever.

I'm liking this game, and atmospherically it's amazing, but the parallels to Silent Hill are pretty on-the-nose so far.

Also, is it just me or is the interface atrocious? If I'm understanding right, there's one button to examine things, but a completely separate one that opens a menu that may or may not have interaction options based on what you're standing near? And that menu pauses the action? So figuring out what you can interact with involves constantly pausing the game as you wander around, disrupting the flow and atmosphere?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yep. There's a "do things" button that only calls up a really picky menu instead of the look/investigate button having a contextualized command to pick up/push over/etc.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

with the way the shibito act, them staring at stuff forever unless disturbed kinda fits them a fair amount

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Siren 2 streamlines a lot of things, by making the X button the general Action button, like most other games. You still need to call up the menu to do stuff like get your partner to hide or shout or whatever, but there's far, far less dicking about in menus. There's a lot of quality-of-life changes in it overall that make it arguably a better game.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lotish posted:

Yep. There's a "do things" button that only calls up a really picky menu instead of the look/investigate button having a contextualized command to pick up/push over/etc.

Wow. I can't believe anyone tested that and thought to themselves "this is fine".

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Tank controls. SGF's doing a good job of minimizing it in the videos, but this game has tank controls. There will come a time sooner or later where this will bite him in the rear end.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, i was about to say that i love that the game kind of gives an in-universe explanation for why the shibito would spent like 20 minutes just straight staring at that flare until it runs out, but others beat me to it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wow. I can't believe anyone tested that and thought to themselves "this is fine".
That can be said of most of this game's gameplay to be honest. It's like they were thinking that the thing people liked the most about Silent Hill 1 was some of the bad adventure game puzzles it had. Like the fact that you actually have to do them is even worse. (I always assumed they were just requirements for the true ending or something)

I'm glad I never played it, though its disappointing because the atmosphere is real good. I should probably try Blood Curse at least though, because I've always heard that while the writing is weaker the game is much more playable and fun.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 21, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

azren posted:

4. I love the disjointed stage mechanics, jumping around through time all willy-nilly. And the loop system really makes you feel trapped like the characters. Some of my favorite media has involved trying to break out of a time loop, and this gets that feeling across quite nicely.

Legacy of Kain? Please tell me you're thinking of the Legacy of Kain series. Or if not, share some recs! Messed up time travel is one of my favorite things ever.

As for Siren itself: this LP is wonderful at presenting terribly creepy material without giving me nightmares. I love it! I'm a weenie so I could never play this myself, and I'm super curious to see where all of this horrible stuff is going to lead.

Also, uh, :stare: how long is this game? If something fills in every single one of those squares we'll be here forever!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nah, each block is one hour of time, but not every character does something in every block. Several have long stretches of time where nothing happens, so don't think we'll have to go through several hundred stages.

As for how long a playthrough takes, that's a difficult question. If you know what you're doing, maybe 25-30 hours or so. It's a good length and you need to repeat some stages to get secondary objectives (though the stage often ends once they're accomplished, so they wind up shorter than the first run). If you don't, well, how long is a piece of string? Or how frustrated are you willing to get before you give up and look online for a guide? I think my first run through was about 50-60 or so hours, and that was with looking at a guide, albeit sparingly. If you decide to bang your head against the wall instead, I'd say 80+ isn't out of the question.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, I didn't have a guide or the manual and hoo boy did I get frustrated. I wish I'd stuck with it, because I love some of the stuff that comes up later, but there's also stuff that comes up that I know I would have hated to actually play.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

This was super interesting btw. I had know idea that some of the sects are still ongoing!

It's interesting to me that horror is a genre that borrows or relies on more localized knowledge than most others.

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013

Very interesting as well, though I also think the designers took a few pages from another famous horror author in making this game....
Such as (sorta) HP Lovecraft

supergreatfriend
Oct 16, 2008

ask me about
COFFEE

P.9 - Tie the Twine to the Fan

Godnnelg
Jun 25, 2013
I can't help but go crazy over Risa. I suffer from Yellow Fever.

Anyway, knocking over all these stone markers makes the typical player think they are unlocking a secret thingy of some sort that is completely optional.
Unfortunately, in Siren this action is actually required to beat the game.. so the action itself just seems really strange.

Godnnelg fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 23, 2016

azren
Feb 14, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Legacy of Kain? Please tell me you're thinking of the Legacy of Kain series. Or if not, share some recs! Messed up time travel is one of my favorite things ever.

Why yes, yes I was. One of my favorite franchises of all time.

I'm also really fond of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (anime and VN both), with each arc being a different variation on the same week or so, but it's also hard to recommend for several reasons:
1. It can get a little :pervert: creepy sometimes (especially the VN, especially if you have the wrong version :gonk:).
2. It's a really big mindfuck. Not like Legacy of Kain, more like trying to piece together a bunch of broken stained glass windows that got scattered over a field.
3. It's extremely dark, depressing, and outright disturbing, with lots of mood whiplash. It's like a comedy/slice-of-life thing, that turns into a horrifying murder mystery.
If you can get past those, go for it.

Or you could try playing 3rd Birthday! :suicide:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

azren posted:

Why yes, yes I was. One of my favorite franchises of all time.

I'm also really fond of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (anime and VN both), with each arc being a different variation on the same week or so, but it's also hard to recommend for several reasons:
1. It can get a little :pervert: creepy sometimes (especially the VN, especially if you have the wrong version :gonk:).
2. It's a really big mindfuck. Not like Legacy of Kain, more like trying to piece together a bunch of broken stained glass windows that got scattered over a field.
3. It's extremely dark, depressing, and outright disturbing, with lots of mood whiplash. It's like a comedy/slice-of-life thing, that turns into a horrifying murder mystery.
If you can get past those, go for it.

Or you could try playing 3rd Birthday! :suicide:

I don't mind the first 3 so much but I would add
4. It's incredibly good for the first few arcs (first half or so) but I thought the later reveals and way the main conflict was resolved in the end (roughly 2nd half) were incredibly stupid compared to the very strong beginning.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
You know with the interactive circuit breaker being there, I was expecting the solution to be to tie the twine to the fan etc, then turn the fan on but only when the circuit breaker is currently switched off. That way you could set off the distraction from safely outside the house, by flipping the circuit breaker.

I'm almost surprised the game wasn't that pedantic and demanding about it.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Risa's probably one of my favourite characters in here because her reactions are very human and she gets out of her binds with great ingenuity. Her levels do a good job of being scary, and it feels like a victory for her whenever she gets past them.

SirDifferential
Sep 19, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

You know with the interactive circuit breaker being there, I was expecting the solution to be to tie the twine to the fan etc, then turn the fan on but only when the circuit breaker is currently switched off. That way you could set off the distraction from safely outside the house, by flipping the circuit breaker.

I'm almost surprised the game wasn't that pedantic and demanding about it.

I imagined this is the real solution - if you turn the fan on while you're in the kitchen yourself, you'll just get caught. DIsable circuit breaker, turn fan on, go outside, enable circuit breaker, fan starts. That makes a lot more sense. With the solution SGF did you could have just toppled the shelf using your hand instead of the elaborate rube goldberg machine.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

This level always scared the hell out of me, even just watching someone else play it. I think this level forward is when the game hits just mega intense for me, and it's super hard to watch. SuperGreatFriend's voice helps ease up the tension some, but I sill freak out a lot.

Thanks for doing this!

azren
Feb 14, 2011

supergreatfriend posted:

P.9 - Tie the Twine to the Fan

Never let your dogs and cats have string, kids. It's really bad for them to swallow it. Think of the pets!
:staredog: :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

SirDifferential posted:

I imagined this is the real solution - if you turn the fan on while you're in the kitchen yourself, you'll just get caught. DIsable circuit breaker, turn fan on, go outside, enable circuit breaker, fan starts. That makes a lot more sense. With the solution SGF did you could have just toppled the shelf using your hand instead of the elaborate rube goldberg machine.

From the looks of it there was some slack in the string so it took a bit for the string to wind tight enough to start pulling on the shelf. But yes I was also expecting you'd have to turn the circuit breaker on last.

• Locked thread