Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

“It happened slowly to begin with,” Mayor Anderson tells you.

He is a stocky, bearded man with pale skin and bright green eyes. He has been mayor of Summer Vale for two decades now, and is predicted to last as many terms as he will run. He has established the perfect balance, in the eyes of most, between respecting the old ways and traditions of Summer Vale, and preparing it for the future. It was Mayor Anderson who brought the first forged (other than Keeper) to the vale to help with the harvest in the year of bounty, and it was him who signed the decree that limited the big farmhands from replacing their labourers with forged in times of poverty. It was he who decided what was to be done about the east valley witch, and he who contacted Red personally when the girls went missing. He is an institution of Summer Vale.

“One of the weather watchers came to me a few weeks ago and claimed the levels of the river were dropping, that the flow was slowing, despite the fact that this summer has been wetter than most. I thanked him, then sent him on his way, to begin with I thought the man mad. Now…. Now I wish I had taken him more seriously, not that I could have changed things much. The levels dropped and dropped and now go and watch the riverbed. It's barely a trickle. Yesterday it did not flow at all. As you know, everyone in town is gathering rain by the bucketload, but its not enough. We need to get the river running again. Red is gone, and we need someone else to take his place. Thank you for volunteering ladies and gentlemen."

He scans your group with sharp eyes, but behind him his aides and councillors view you with a mixture of suspicion and distrust.

"I won't lie to you, and I don't need to. There's some folk here in Summer Vale who would not be too unhappy if you never found your way back. The boisterous gnome jester, the first forgedborn in town, the scrappy little halfling who breaks people's noses, the dwarf who thinks she's a dragon, the woodcutter's son with The Diabolist whispering in his ear. These aren't my words, friends, you understand that, don't you? I've spent years trying to turn this town into a more open place, and it's getting better, but progress takes time. Still, you are worthy of admiration in my mind for your adventurous spirits regardless of what happens. If you can get the river flowing, you will return to town as heroes.”

---
That was 36 hours ago.

The mayor sends your north, following the path of the river. Your spirits are high on the first day. The sun shines, the birds sing and the path through the town and up into the woods is level and easy. The first night you share stories around the fire and sleep well. The second day the path becomes harder. The pathways become overgrown and rocky. At points you are forced to climb steep hills or drop into the riverbed itself in order to progress. On that second afternoon the sun becomes cloaked in cloud and the wind begins to howl through the woodlands. Up ahead you can see the mountains, the source of the river, and you begin to worry that whatever is stopping its flow may be further from Summer Vale than you had hoped.

It is now evening and you are too weary to continue. It is dark and cold and the wind has grown to a beast that stampedes back and forth through the trees, kicking and screaming at you. Hoods are torn down, cloaks become tangled in branches and you find yourself walking against a solid wall of violent wind. It is time to make camp for the night, but without shelter you fear your journey will be cut short. Without proper rest, the journey onward will drive you to the point of surrender.

With the rising winds tearing around you and night growing darker by the moment, you must make a decision. What do you do?

Nearly forgot...

Don't forget to roll your icon dice for the start of the session, plus anything else you need to roll.
We will be using Orokos for dice rolls.
Normal posting template.
Feel free to ask questions.

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Keeper, Forgeborn Cleric

Priestess(positive): 3, 5 Priestess Roll: 2d6 3, 5
Lich King (negative): 4 Lich King Roll: 1d6 4

Despite the seriousness of the situation, Keeper’s spirits were high at the start of the expedition. The Shrine was now operating at near maximal efficiency, and his link to it was still strong despite the distance he had traveled.

But now his concern was overcoming his high spirits. While he was less susceptible to the ravages of the environment or exhaustion, his companions were and they were in his safe keeping. While he hadn’t been here before, it was part of the Previous Occupants’ former territory. They built structures to last, perhaps there was one close enough to take shelter in?
He raised the volume of his voice to compensate for wind-noise.

“Companions! I recommend that you attach yourselves to me! My bulk makes it unlikely that I will be impeded by the wind, and it decreases the likelihood of becoming lost! In addition, be on the lookout for structures in a similar style to The Shrine. The Previous Occupants should have had an outpost nearby, I am accessing my archives to help narrow the search parameters!”

Loremaster Roll: 1d20+6 10
bah

pre:
Keeper
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/30	                           
AC	19	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	13                                    
Rec.	8/8 (1d8+3)                  
MBA     1d20+3; 1d8+2       

Battle/At-will*                                   Daily
[ ] Spirits of the Righteous                   [ ] Bless
[ ] Javelin of Faith*                          [ ] Shield of Faith
[ ] Racial: Never Say Die*
[ ] Invocation of Lore
[ ] Invocation of Community
[ ] Invocation of Healing

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 26, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thora Hrasken, Dwarf Paladin

Great Gold Wyrm (positive) Icon Dice: 2#1d6 4 1
Dwarf King (conflicted) Icon Dice: 1d6 2

Thora had expected to have her will and bravery tested, but not by the grinding monotony of travel. The high winds were almost a respite, cutting through the thin cloak she'd grabbed as an afterthought and slightly cooling the sweltering heat from her armor, but her face felt scoured raw. She could, perhaps, endure a while, but she was less certain of her companions, and it was their safety that had to be her first concern. Well, Keeper, she supposed, could probably fend for himself --

Her thoughts were interrupted by Keeper's words, and she nodded emphatically. "Yes, we'd better form up. Alain, Ludwig, you stay closest to Keeper, all right? I think Delilah and I can take the periphery." Already her gaze was casting about through the trees, trying to follow Keeper's instructions. A solid structure would be very welcome right now. If they'd reached the mountains, she might have been able to seek out stable caves and crevices, but in the woods, who knew what safe shelter looked like?

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	33/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	9/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+4
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

Battle/At-Will*		                       Daily
[ ] Bastion                   		       [ ] Hammer of Faith
[ ] Divine Domain: Leadership* (1/rd)	       [ ][ ] Bonus Smite Evil Uses
[ ] Racial: That's Your Best Shot?             [ ] Invocation of Leadership
[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 26, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Delilah Heartspring, Halfling Fighter

The Emperor (positive): 2#1d6 1 4
Prince of Shadows (Negative): 1d6 1

Delilah had never been one to turn down a cool, evening breeze, but this was something else entirely. At Thora's words, she began to circle around to the back of the group, shield raised and ready. Wincing at the cold air as it tore past, she narrowed her eyes and glanced about the surrounding woodland. They needed shelter, but they also needed to be cautious. It was at moments like these, she was taught, when travelers were desperate and tired that they were at their most vulnerable, prone to ignoring obvious signs of danger. Taking a deep breath, she gazed about the trees, watching for any sign of approaching movement.

Guard-In-Training Roll: 1d20+3 8 9
Welp. e: Forgot to add +1 from my level. Not, uh, not that it probably matters here, but y'know.

pre:
Stats
HP          30/30
AC          19
PD          14
MD          11
Rec.        9/9 (1d10+2)
MBA        1d20+5, 1d8+4
RBA        1d20+4, 1d8+3

Battle/At-Will*
[ ] Shield Bash* (A)
[ ] Carve an Opening*
[ ] Defensive Fighting*
[ ] Racial: Evasive
[ ] Tough as Iron
[ ] Skilled Intercept* (1/rd)
[ ] Counter-Attack* (1/rd)

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 25, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ludwig

Archmage 3 (conflicted): 3#1d6 2 2 3
Touch of Wizardry (Wizard spells numbered through in alphabetic order): 1d8 8 - I can cast Shocking Grasp today.

"Far ahead of ya, your Holiness" Ludwig calls out from halfway underneath Keeper's cloak, using his affectionate nickname for Thora. Not that he hasn't a cloak of his own, but at this point, it's more patches than cloak and, therefore, is drafty. Keeping pace has been a minor challenge. Other than that, the journey had been as nice as it could have been, with the sight of the empty riverbed a steady worrying companion. Still, an outing is an outing, and long walks always give Ludwig ideas for new parlor tricks and routines. And today, watching Alain's raven has even jogged one of those half-forgotten memories - at first Ludwig had thought he could feel a thunderstorm brewing, but then he realized it was just a pesky spell urging outwards and making the hair on his arms stand on end.

Hmm. Maybe not get too close to Keeps.

Shelter, indeed, that would be nice right about now - for himself and Dee an old hollow beneath some roots would do, or a nice badger-hole, but they're a team here, aren't they? Ludwig pulls a scratched brass tube from his satchel and lifts it to his eye to inspect the surroundings closely.

Colorful glass shards tumble in place in his view. Well that's kind of pretty anyway.

Belt of Many Useless Things: 1d20+1 6
Generally, do we just roll 1d20+background modifier and you add whatever ability score you think is appropriate?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 25, 2016

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Alain Fenlaird
Relationships:
Conflicted Relationship, Diabolist: 2#1d6 6 1
Conflicted Relationship, Archmage: 1#1d6 5

WHELP. Unambiguous benefit from The Diabolist, benefit with strings attached from the Archmage. Let's get weird.

"Aye, Miss Hraskin," Alain say, shuffling closer to the animate mass of steel that was leading them, pulling his cloak tighter for warmth. He'd always liked Miss Hraskin -- she was less haughty than the rest of her family, and he respected her devotion to the church even though it was not something he felt himself. He'd always been sure to give her the choicest bindles when she came by for firewood, straight stalks from a 3 month dead ash or Fletcher's Yew, the kind that burned hot and slow with barely any soot. He doubted she'd noticed. Most people didn't pay that much attention to firewood. Still, it was nice to have a friendly sort along to watch out for him.

The trip, any many ways, had been a difficult one for him. He was used to hard travel, of course, but not with this many people, and at first it'd been difficult to stay focused on the path while still keeping up with the conversation. There was also the Mayor's words, which Alain's mind kept returning to again and again even though he wished really hard that it would not. Woodcutter's son with the Diabolist in his ear. The Diabolist! Was that really what they thought? Somehow the idea had never occurred to him. He tried his hardest to help people with magic, and certainly the townsfolk SEEMED grateful when he banished the bore weevils from from a field or mended someone's plow. But maybe they were just pretending. Maybe they were actually scared of him. The idea that people could seem one way but secretly be another was disturbing to him on some visceral level.

"You should make yourself helpful, Al," a voice from his cloak, filled with dry amusement, drew him out of his thoughts. The Raven, who'd retreated into his hood when the cold winds first began to blow. "That's why we're on this damnable trip instead of safe in our beds, after all."

"Oh," Alain says. "Oh right. It's getting dark. Hard to find shelter... would light help? I could make a light."

Alain focuses and makes a complicated gesture. He speaks in a voice that has suddenly dropped several octaves and changed timbre....

"L̷̢̟̭̰̱̝̟̥̄ͭ͐͌͜ȗ͗̒ͫ̓͗͗̈́̉ͯͣ͏̵̷͓̭̲̘̫̖̰̜͕̬̖̗̹̫͕͓͉̀ŗ̴͋ͪ͐ͦ̒̏̐̅͐̈̈̈́̚҉̳̦̯͔̠͕̜͚̼̭͝a̸̛͎̼̳͍͔̮̺̙̳͕̖̗̳̞̯̔ͤ̌̑͊͋̈́͛͟m̴̧̺̪͙̲̘̟̭͕̮̖̺̅ͥͬ̾̎̒ͨͅa̷̮̥̱̰̼̳̙͓̳̺̯̳͐ͥ̓͋̅̏̃̈ͮ́̌̾͑ͮͩ́̚̕ͅt̵ͫ͋͋ͣͧ̆̋͜͏̸̛̝̤͓̰̙̼͕͚͇̮͚̻̫̹̼̥͕̜ͅh̞͍͔͈̱̿͋̓ͪ̈̂̄ͯ̿̈́̂̚̕͠ͅo̷͌͒̏͐͠҉͕̠̺̭̟̼̥̹̳͚͖͎͈́s̢̧̹̫͍̝͓̲̘͙̝̏̏ͩͧ̍" he says....

...And the area is lit up by a soft green light. Alain smiles, pleased with himself.

code:
Stats
HP          27/27
AC          11
PD          11
MD          15
Rec.        8/8 (1d6+2)

Spells
Utility Slot
Ray of Frost
Color Spray
Acid Arrow
Charm Person
Shield

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 26, 2016

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

A general sense of doom settles over you as, faced with the first serious barrier to your duty, you find yourselves lacking. Keeper does indeed provide a limited amount of shelter and serves as an anchor for the rest of you when the winds reach their peak, but in the stress and confusion the loremaster is incapable of recalling any relevant details about the surrounding geography. Delilah's training as a guide is solid, but with the pressure and the darkness and the elements battering against her, she cannot find any trace of path or shelter. Ludwig's belt of many useful things, shifted by the wind, provides little help. Only Alain succeeds in his task, bathing the area in soft light that illuminates the gaps in the woodlands.

Thunder rolls across the sky, but no rain falls. The air is rich with static that tickles your skin and picks at your hair. Your eyes and mouths feel dry. You need to find shelted.

Picking your way through the undergrowth, aided by Alain's light, you eventually come to a cave. The mouth is dark and provides little idea to the insides, but having had to rely on nothing but your base instincts, you have no time to inspect before leaping inside. An instant after you pile in after one another, a bolt of lightning cracks through the darkness and strikes somewhere not very far away. You hear a crash as branches and trees are split in twain. Birds and animals scream and take flight, but their calls are muted by the unending howl of the wind.

But in this cave, this cave you had no time to investigate properly, you are not alone.

Squat, green creatures huddle against the back wall, glaring at you. The absence of any fire or supplies suggests that they too are sheltering here, but you have burst in and cornered them. They are clad in scrappy leather and carry makeshift weapons of bone and wood. You have seen goblins before, well perhaps some of you have, but they were smaller than this, the runts and mutants that showed up around Summer Vale's outskirts and picked at the trash for food like cats. These are bigger, stronger, and their eyes shine with an intelligence that suggests sentience. At the feet of many of the goblins sit large, ugly rats with bristly grey fur and elongated fangs. They sniff at the air, spitting and hissing at you as you enter the cave, their black eyes glowing in Alain's mysterious light.

Then, one of the goblins grunts and points, and the others begin to ready their weapons. You have them cornered and scared. Prepare for battle. Roll initiative.

So I intend to run this game a little like Dungeon World. Failed attempts to do things will not just be met with 'you failed', but there will be repercussions. In this case, you have been thrown into battle with these creatures as a result of your failed background checks. Do not let this put you off trying things, after all, repercussions are what make the game interesting! You will also normally roll your own initiative... but I thought we should stuck in to our first conflict!

Initiative: 1d20+1 13 1d20+1 10 1d20+4 12 1d20+4 22 1d20+1 21
Intiative: 1d20+3 20 1d20+6 17 1d20+2 13

Any unengaged scared goblin will intercept and engage with you, if you attempt to go for the shaman in melee.
Delilah and Keeper you are up, then its ALL the baddies turns!

pre:
Delilah AC19 PD14 MD11	30/30 HP
Keeper 	AC19 PD14 MD13	30/30 HP
Scared Goblin (R) AC16 PD13 MD12 22/22 HP
Scared Goblin (G) AC16 PD13 MD12 22/22 HP
Scared Goblin (O) AC16 PD13 MD12 22/22 HP
Scared Goblin (P) AC16 PD13 MD12 22/22 HP
Goblin Shaman     AC17 PD16 MD12 34/34 HP
Hunting Rats AC15 PD15 MD10 (6HP Mook)
Alain	AC11 PD11 MD15	32/32 HP
Ludwig	AC13 PD13 MD13	24/24 HP
Thora 	AC20 PD14 MD14	33/33 HP
Escelation: 0

Just a couple of reminders about 13th Age. You get your full rest at predetermined times, not when you sleep. This will usually be about once every four conflicts or at the end of a 'session'.
The maps are not really maps most of the time, just a way of tracking who is engaged with who. There will be instances where positioning is important, but they are the minority.
For ease and pace of play, please include any ongoing actions that might effect my turns in your stat-block. If you are always going to intercept monsters going for the casters for instance, let it be known.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Keeper, Forgeborn Cleric

Granted its been a century or so since I’ve conversed in Amalgamated Goblinese, but I still recognize ‘Kill!’ and ‘Fresh Meat’ quite easily. Sighing at the lost chance to brush up on current goblin societal trends, I unsling my shield and position myself betwixt the creatures and magisters.

“Caution companions, for filthy creatures such as these are known to carry ill humours and maladies.”

Panels whir open in my chest as I bring the sacred crystals into alignment, and my free hand folds out to reveal the prayer emitter. The sounds of a chorus chanting softly rises from my body as I direct Emac’s power though my chassis, arcs of light forming between the goblin leader and Ludwig.

“Spirits, I invoke thee!”

Spirits of the Righteous vs MD 12: 1d20+4 17
Damage: 4d6+3 21

The cacophony of shrieks emitted by Emac’s loyal spirits echo as the goblin is wracked with holy power. A soft nimbus of light crosshatched with angular designs forms around Ludwig’s body.

Ludwig gets a +4 bonus to AC until the end of my next turn

pre:
Keeper
Stats		                   Battle/At-will*	            	Daily
HP	30/30	                   [ x] Spirits of the Righteous        [ ] Bless
AC	19	                   [ ] Javelin of Faith*              	[ ] Shield of Faith
PD	14                         [ ] Racial: Never Say Die*
MD	13                                                              [ ] Invocation of Lore
Rec.	8/8 (1d8+3)                                                     [ ] Invocation of Community
MBA     1d20+3; 1d8+2                                                   [ ] Invocation of Healing

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Balls, I wanted to pull my stat block from this post for a new one, started writing it in here thinking I was in the reply window and ended up saving the edit. I think what happened here was that I rolled for chaos magic and came up with Attack, and rolled for a High Weirdness effect that meant Ludwig's shadow detached, giving him a bonus to attacks and a penalty to saves.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 13, 2016

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Cursing under her breath, Delilah drew herself into a stance as she stared at the green-skinned foes. She knew, she knew that there was the perfect opportunity for trouble and even still she had slipped in her duty. That didn't matter now, she told herself. What matters is that there's a band of unfriendly looking goblins, and that she and Keeper had managed to react faster.

"All right you bastards, come at me!"

Banging her shield as loudly as she could, Delilah smirked as she watched Keeper's spirits tear into the shaman's body. Watching the remaining divine light surround Ludwig, she made the decision that at least for now, the gnome should survive without her aid. Charging forward at the nearest goblin, she kept a close eye for any that would attack Alain.

Engaging and attacking Goblin R.
Melee Attack v. AC 16: 1d20+5 10
Damage: 1 Miss

Was she slow, or the goblin unexpectedly quick? Regardless, Delilah's barely scratched her opponent, though it seemed to leave him on edge.
Carving an Opening, 19-20 crit range.

pre:
Stats
HP          30/30
AC          19
PD          14
MD          11
Rec.        9/9 (1d10+2)
MBA        1d20+5, 1d8+4
RBA        1d20+4, 1d8+3

Battle/At-Will*
[ ] Shield Bash* (A)
[x] Carve an Opening* (19-20)
[ ] Defensive Fighting*
[ ] Tough as Iron
[x] Skilled Intercept* (1/rd, Intercepting first person going for Alain)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The goblin shaman reels and screams in response to Keeper's divine blast, stumbling back against the cave wall. Dark shadows pour forth from his back and scuttle away over the cave walls just as Ludwig's own begins to do the same. Smoke pours from his mouth as his blinded eyes glimpse for you in the darkness. Reaching into the leather strap around his waist, he lifts a strange bone charm and shakes it, filling the cave with the sound of ghostly screams. He lifts one gnarled hand and points at Keeper. Seconds later a stream of howling goblinoid ghosts pour through the forgeborn, burning away at his mental defenses. Thora manages to avoid the brunt of the blow but the ghosts claw a little at her, leaving her disturbed.

The scared goblins spring to action, leaping forward and whistling and barking. The pack of hissing, snapping dire rats respond with signs of obvious training. It appears that these goblins raise rats as the city-dwelling races raise dogs. You have been out of the village only a matter of days and already you are learning more about the world.

The goblin before Delilah swings for her with his club, but it clatters helplessly against her sheild. There is a second thunk as another goblin charges for her and swings. However, the club makes its way beneath her shield and cracks against her shin. It appears the goblins rely on a swarming tactic, but seeing its friends make progress, the final grunt scampers across the cave and swings for Thora. There is a blast of shadow and spectral howls fill the cave once more and Thora finds her soul burning due to the shaman's vile curse.

Delilah reels back from the attack, in time to knock the jaws of one dire rat away. The others bound their way through the cave, their ugly bald tails swishing in their wake. One heads for Keeper, another for Thora, and a third makes its way through to attack Alain. Deliliah tries to protect the wizard, but she is trapped within the mass of goblins around her. Alain and Keeper cry out in pain as sharp teeth dig into their legs, but Thora's armour deflects the snapping jaws.

Curse Vs. Keeper MD: 1d20+6 14 Keeper takes 8 damage. Keeper and Thora both take a further 2 whenever engaged or disengaged with by an enemy until the end of the shaman's next turn.
Club vs Delilah AC: 1d20+6 9 Miss!
Green club Vs AC Delilah: 1d20+6 11 Miss!
Goblin Purple Vs Ac Delilah: 1d20+6 21 Hit! Delilah takes 6 damage!
Goblin Orange Vs Ac Thora: 1d20+6 22 Hit! Thora takes 2 damage from curse, and 4 from the goblin!
Vs Ac Delilah: 1d20+5 14
Decided to roll the rest of the mooks as one attack...ouch!
Rats vs Thora/Alain/Keeper: 1d20+5 19 Thora takes 2 damage. Keeper takes 6 damage. Alain takes 4 damage.

Any unengaged scared goblin will intercept and engage with you, if you attempt to go for the shaman in melee.
Alain, Ludwig, Thora are up at 0 escalation. Delilah and Keeper are up at 1 escalation.

pre:
Delilah AC19 PD14 MD11	18/30 HP
Keeper 	AC19 PD14 MD13	26/30 HP (takes 2 on engage/disengage Ueoshaman's next)
Scared Goblin (R) AC16 PD13 MD12 21/22 HP
Scared Goblin (O) AC16 PD13 MD12 22/22 HP
Goblin Shaman     AC17 PD16 MD12 13/34 HP (Bloody)
Hunting Rats AC15 PD15 MD10 (6HP Mook)
Alain	AC11 PD11 MD15	23/27 HP
Ludwig	AC13 PD13 MD13	24/24 HP (AC17 UeoKeeper's)
Thora 	AC20 PD14 MD14	25/33 HP (takes 2 on engage/disengage Ueoshaman's next)
Escalation: 0

Captain_Indigo fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 27, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ludwig

Not good, Alain isn't built to take the brunt of attacks! The rat hanging from his shins must die. Ludwig takes a deep breath, regrets it almost instantly - goblin stink, yech! - , and digs deep inside himself to let whatever spell bubbles to the front of his mind pass through him. A multitude of strobing light globes pours from his hand, arcs through the air in all directions and hits everywhere, but absolutely everywhere, other than where he aimed. That does include the nearest goblin, who is struck by a small blue spark, but all things considered, that could have gone lots better.

Ludwig suddenly feels righteous anger. "How dare you impede our mission, you impertinent scum!" he bellows.

Chaos Ray vs. Rat Mob (+2 bonus): 1d20+7 11 1d8+4 12
Chaos Ray Miss damage: 1d6 4 damage to Goblin (O)
Chaos Magic: 1d6 5
Iconic Roll: 1d12 2 Crusader

pre:
Ludwig
Chaos Magic: aaddii

Next spell category: Iconic - The Crusader
If I get critted, I roll for a High Weirdness effect
Until I roll a new high weirdness, or until end of battle, I have +2 to attacks and -2 to saves.

HP: 24/24
Recoveries: 8/8
Recovery dice: 1d6+2

AC 13 (+4)
PD 13
MD 13

Daily Spells [ ]
Once-per-battle Spells [X]

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 27, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Once they'd stepped into the cave, things had moved almost too quickly for Thora to react -- but now, with the goblins and their rats upon her, clarity was returning, even if it came with pain. They had to do something about that shaman, but first, there were more imminent threats.

Keeper had taken the brunt of the shaman's wrath, Thora realized, and for someone made of metal, he wasn't much of a combatant; she'd have to be ready to protect him, as well as Alain and Ludwig behind him. The line had to be held, and while the rats were a nuisance, she suspected they'd be much less of a problem without their keepers. Now was the time to try for a decisive blow and turn the tide before the goblins got their nerve up. She tightened her grip on her warhammer, offered a brief mental prayer, and swung at the gibbering goblin engaging her. The strike wasn't as confident as it should have been, but perhaps even that would help...

Using Smite Evil on a melee basic attack:
Melee Basic vs. AC 16, Orange Goblin + Smite Evil: 1d20+4 7
... Awesome. Well, still half damage on a miss:
Smite Evil damage: 1d8+1d12+4 18
That's 9 damage, 4 if the Smite Evil d12 isn't added into the half-damage-on-miss -- it occurs to me that I don't know if it is.
Also using the power of Divine Domain: Leadership to give my allies +1 attack versus this goblin until the start of my next turn, and readying Bastion to intercept the highest-damage attack on Keeper, Ludwig, or Alain in the goblins' next initiative pass (or just Keeper, if the others aren't close enough).

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	25/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec. 9/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA 1d20+4; 1d8+4
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Divine Domain: Leadership* (1/rd)	       [ ][ ] Bonus Smite Evil Uses
[ ] Racial: That's Your Best Shot?             [ ] Invocation of Leadership
[x] Smite Evil

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Alain

It all happens so fast. One minute they were ducking into a cave, finally safe from the howling wind, the next they were being over-run by these things. Goblins? But bigger, meaner. The woodcutter's son barely has time to react before one of their rat-things charged into his shin, nearly bowling him over and leaving a nasty gash in its wake. He scrambles backwards and on to his feet as it turns for another pass.

[url=http://orokos.com/roll/413712]Disengage from Rat[/url]: 1d20 14

It'd probably have buried its fangs in his throat, if not for a sudden pyrotechnic display from Ludwig that makes it shift course at the last second to avoid getting blasted. Alain silently thanks the jester as he finally regains his footing and turns to face the rat.

From miles off, Alain heard a voice shreaking his name, "Al, Al, a spell! Cast a spell! Remember what I taught you! You need to cast a spell!"

Right. A spell.

Magic. Battle magic was simple.

Ignore the beating of your heart. Ignore the throbbing in your leg, the sticky-itchyness of the blood running down your shin. Focus on magic.

It's simple. Battle magic is simple.

Most spells you had to worry about containing the power you called forth, about channeling every bit of it into a useful form so it didn't escape into the world as simple destructive force: as fire and lightning and wasting disease. A large part of the difficulty was building that containment. But battle magic wasn't about containment. Battle magic was about letting loose.

So let loose. Breath. Form the words in your mind. See the direction the magic must take. Focus the power...

...he raises his wand, which is suddenly in his hand although he doesn't recall unsheathing it...

...speak the words...

"U͞͏҉̛͘n̵̢͡k̷͢ą̴̀s̛͢͠h̡͞͏͏ ͜͝͝K̴̴̷̢l̶̷͞͞u̢̡͞t̡̡̢ ̷͏̧͟S̷̢͠ȩ̴̶̵n͠͏̀͏̷ǵ̛͠͏r͢҉̧̕͘ą҉ḑ͢͢͝g͝͠a̛̕r̷͞s͘͢͡h͝!"

...Let loose

Ray of Frost against the rat that's attacking me: 1d20+5 16
Damage roll for Ray of Frost: 3d6 13

A wave of cold leaps from the tip of Alain's wand, misting the air white and etching eldritch patterns of frost along the ground as it travels. It strikes the rat mid-leap, arresting the things momentum instantly. The rat's body crashes to the cave floor with an audible thunk, frozen solid.

If Alain gets attacked, he's going to defend with Shield. Also, if the shaman tries to cast anything, I'm going to block it with counterspell (think this is how counterspell works

code:
[b]Stats[/b]
HP          27/27
AC          11
PD          11
MD          15
Rec.        8/8 (1d6+2)

[b]Spells[/b]

[u]Per-battle[/u]
Countermagic

[u]At-Will[/u]
Ray of Frost

[u]Daily[/u]
Color Spray
Acid Arrow
Charm Person

[u]Recharge[/u]
Shield

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Keeper, Forgeborn Cleric

I wince at the damage done to my shell, so few had respect for proper craftsmanship. Threat-Response Analysis finished, revealing what I had already figured. While I had taken the most damage in the initial clash, young Delilah was nearly surrounded and was in greater need. With a quick burst of prayer, I direct Emac’s energies towards the valiant halfling.

Quick action to Heal Delilah, recovery+2

Turning to my immediate surroundings, I take aim with my prayer emitter and squeak menacingly at the rat in front of me. Unfortunately there seems to be a dialectal difference between farm rats and wild rats, and my threat falls on deaf ears. Sighing, I express my displeasure in a more direct fashion.

Javelin of Faith vs PD15: 1d20+5 9
Damage: 1

Hmm. These rats are surprisingly nimble, as my foe twists out of the direct path of the holy beam.

pre:
Keeper
HP	16/30	                   [ x] Spirits of the Righteous        [ ] Bless
AC	19	                   [ ] Javelin of Faith*              	[ ] Shield of Faith
MD	13                                                              [ ] Invocation of Lore
Rec.	8/8 (1d8+3)                                                     [ ] Invocation of Community
MBA     1d20+3; 1d6+2                                                   [ ] Invocation of Healing

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Well, Delilah thought as the rain of blows fell upon her shield, she had asked for this. A brief gasp of pain came out as one goblin found its mark upon her shin, which was an area that hadn't been hurt in some time, considering his size. Grimacing at those that slipped past her defenses, a rush enveloped her body, and the aching all but came to a halt in tune with a sudden prayer. Smiling, she cried out,

"Thanks for that, Keeper! Owe you one!"

Recovery+2: 1d10+4 11

She would have to make some kind of offering in return, she decided, if the forgeborn even took offerings for the Shrine. Putting aside her religious ignorance, Delilah stabbed downwards at the rat biting violently at her legs.

Melee Attack v. Rat Mob (AC 15): 1d20+6 12
Ugh.

Being harried by multiple foes as she was, however, left little opportunity for a clean strike. Grumbling to herself, she adjusted her stance and prepared for another onslaught of attacks.
Natural Even, Defensive Fighting for +2 AC, and am going to use Evasive if a Goblin hits me to make them reroll at -2. Reminder that anyone disengaging from me has -3 to their roll cause Fighter. e: Actually, going to add that to my stat block since it'll come up a lot.

pre:
Stats
HP          29/30
AC          19 (+2)
PD          14
MD          11
Rec.        8/9 (1d10+2)
MBA        1d20+5, 1d8+4
RBA        1d20+4, 1d8+3

Threatening: -3 to disengaging from me

Battle/At-Will*
[ ] Shield Bash* (A)
[ ] Carve an Opening*
[x] Defensive Fighting*
[x] Racial: Evasive
[ ] Tough as Iron

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 28, 2016

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The air of the cavern grows chill with frost as ice magic spins forth from Alain's fingers. One rat is frozen solid by the ray of blue light, but another is sheered in half by the same beam and a third has its fur stabbed with shards of cold. Aside from this stroke of luck, however, the residents of Summer Vale are having little fortune.

The goblin shaman grins gleefully at the way the fight seems to be progressing. Grabbing a handful of moss from the wall of the cave, he throws it into a leather pouch, then lifts the pouch to his lips and blows across it. The dark magics inside spring forth a second wave of howling creatures. There is a crackle of some kind, a burst of light and the cave fills with a smell like burning hair. The spirits make it only inches from the leather pouch before they wither and vanish. The shaman glares down at its hands, then up at the magical energies reverberating through Alain's hands. It appears the spell has been cancelled. The previously cursed of you feel the restless spirits leave your bodies and pass on.

The goblin horde ignore the failings of their leader and choose instead to rely on their limited brute strength. They are made plucky by their success and launch a series of simultaneously bold attacks against the halfling fighter. Delilah is quick, however, and weaves away from one blow and painlessly shoulders the second away. The third comes fast, but she valiantly kicks it aside, stumbling momentarily to her knees and giving the third goblin a second chance. He swings his blood-stained club back for you, but with a twist and a kick you are back on your feet and the club is clattering against the floor. The forth goblin, now feeling a little more lonely away from its companions, hisses at Thora and takes a swing. There is a thud of wood on stone as his attack sails wide.

The rat pack, now thinner, attempt to chew their way through the meatier and quicker of you, and find themselves biting nothing but air and armour.

Counterspell Int+Lev vs Shaman MD: 1d20+4+1 22 Hit! The spell is cancelled.
Alain are you sure you have counter-spell. I think you're only supposed to pick three talents. We'll use it here, let me know moving forward.
Attack Vs. Delilah AC: 1d20+6 11 1d20+6 20 1d20+6 23 Miss! Miss due to increased AC! Hit, rerolled!
Again!: 1d20+6-2 14 Miss!
Attack Vs. Thora AC: 1d20+6 12 Miss!
Attack Vs. Delilah/Thora: 1d20+5 18 Miss! Miss!

Alain, Ludwig, Thora are up at 1 escalation. Delilah and Keeper are up at 2 escalation.

pre:
Delilah AC19 PD14 MD11	29/30 HP (+1 attack against Goblin Orange UsoThora's next) (+2 AC)  (-3 to all disengage checks against) 
Keeper 	AC19 PD14 MD13	26/30 HP (+1 attack against Goblin Orange UsoThora's next)
Scared Goblin (R) AC16 PD13 MD12 21/22 HP
Scared Goblin (O) AC16 PD13 MD12 9/22 HP (Bloody)
Goblin Shaman     AC17 PD16 MD12 13/34 HP (Bloody)
Hunting Rats  AC15 PD15 MD10 (10HP - 6HP Mook) 
Alain	AC11 PD11 MD15	23/27 HP (+1 attack against Goblin Orange UsoThora's next) (On attack, cast sheild)
Ludwig	AC13 PD13 MD13	24/24 HP (+1 attack against Goblin Orange UsoThora's next)
Thora 	AC20 PD14 MD14	25/33 HP (+1 attack against Goblin Orange UsoThora's next) (Bastion to intercept the highest-damage attack on Keeper, Ludwig, or Alain)
Escalation: 1

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ludwig

The anger boils in Ludwig. It wants, no, needs to come out, smash these unworthy foes into a pulp. He takes a step towards the wounded goblin and roars "SUBMIT OR DIE!" And just as quickly as it came, the rage is gone, and the goblin slumps lifelessly to the ground. "Blimey. You give a guy a choice..." Ludwig quips, slightly nervously. Where did that come from?

Out of the corner of his eye, he spots his shadow, grabs it by the collar and pulls it close. That's enough of that nonsense. Now it's time to press the attack!

... something definitely feels off all of a sudden, but Ludwig can't quite put a finger on it yet.

Castigation vs. Goblin (O) (MD): 1d20+8 26 Hit, and since he's staggered, he takes full damage - 1d8+4, so 14. (e: some would call that 12)
Chaos Magic: 1d4 1 - Attack!
Attacking Warp & High Weirdness: 1d6 4 1d100 15
+3 to disengage checks until the end of my next turn
Also, my gender changes. I note the table doesn't say to what.

pre:
Ludwig

Next spell category: Attack
Until the end of my next turn: +3 to disengage checks

AC 13
PD 13
MD 13

Daily Spells [ ]

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 28, 2016

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

I have High Arcana as one of my talents, which gives me access to counterspell in addition to allowing me to memorize the same spell twice. But it occurs to me that I might have misread how it phrased it as a "bonus spell" and I need to equip it in a spell slot. If that's the case, let's just swap it in for Color Spray

Alain

With the magic flowing, Alain's fear vanishes. It was always like this when he cast — the world quieted, the mind focused, and suddenly everything that wasn't the transcendent logic of spell casting was of distant, secondary importance. Even the pain of his wounded leg fades out, what was once a throbbing torment becomes a far off annoyance, like a fly buzzing in the background when you're engrossed in a good story. Magic is all, and magic is not a world of emotion — there's just action and reaction, cause and effect, problems and solutions.

Case in point: the shaman's spell. Alain feels the thing coming together, sees the delicate strands of power weave themselves into a kind of net to capture the spirits and set them to their work. The weave is simplistic, inelegant, lacking the redundancies a true wizard would put into place if he was designing such a spell. It is a simple matter to thrust a sharp blade of mana between the threads where they came together, causing the whole thing to unravel uselessly.

The shaman glowers at Alain and he smiles back. It had been a neat trick, but something about the intelligence shining in the thing's beady little eyes told Alain the mistake was borne more of arrogance than incompetence on his opponent's part. He doubts he'd be able to repeat the performance.

None of this would matter if the shaman was dead, however. Problems and solutions. Alain raises his wand and prepares to subtract the shaman from the equation...

Ray of Frost against the Shaman: 1d20+6 16
Miss Damage! 1

...But the thing avoids the attack. Alain's eyes narrow. Maybe this would be harder than he thought.

pre:
Stats
HP          23/27
AC          11
PD          11
MD          15
Rec.        8/8 (1d6+2)

Spells

Per-battle
Countermagic

At-Will
Ray of Frost

Daily
Acid Arrow
Charm Person

Recharge
Shield

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 1, 2016

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Keeper, Forgeborn Cleric

My companions act, and the tactical projection shifts. Yes, yes. Free up the paladin from her entanglements and she is free to deal with the shaman or aid Delilah. A solid defensive bulwark forms, and ranged units can focus fire. 95% chance of achieving optimal victory. I swing the prayer emitter towards the rat harrying Thora and call for Emac’s aid once more.

Javelin of Faith vs. PD 15: 1d20+6 26 Crit!
Crit Damage: 2d6+6 12

Emac’s approval fills me, and enables me to channel energy far in excess of standard tolerances. Holy light fills the cave as the beam reflects off the walls, smiting rat after rat. Wishing I had a more expressive faceplate, I turn to the shaman and draw the prayer emitter across my throat.

Some threats transcend cultures, I’ve found.

pre:
Keeper
HP	16/30	                   [x] Spirits of the Righteous         [ ] Bless
MD	13                         [x][ ] Heal                          [ ] Invocation of Lore
MBA     1d20+3; 1d6+2                                                   [ ] Invocation of Healing

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 29, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Ludwig--!"

There was a scripture about this sort of thing, about the hidden depths of all who stood against evil, but Thora was in no place to remember the exact words at the moment. It was a reassurance, or was meant to be, but... she wasn't sure the Great Gold Wyrm had meant the sort of hidden depths she'd just seen. Thora knew Ludwig mostly as the only one who could make Grandfather laugh, and now he'd just shouted a goblin to death, and... what else? Something with a shadow...? Something seemed wrong, but Thora couldn't place it. Perhaps that was the Great Gold Wyrm's way of telling her this wasn't the time.

What was important was that the goblin was dead, along with its rat-thing, and the shaman was mostly unguarded now. Delilah was fending off the goblin horde ably enough -- Thora would have to keep watch on that, but it seemed as if it were best to press the advantage and try to cut off the horde's head. Thora surged forward, trying to close on the shaman before any of the other goblins could readily intercept her, and she tried to simply lay him low with a single hammer-blow. Perhaps it was sacrelige to call upon too much of the Gold Wyrm's power too soon, but... they needed this victory to come swiftly if their souls were to remain dedicated to the quest. And, of course, they needed to stay alive. Spirit could do little without some support of flesh, even if it felt as if Thora was propelled more by her faith than by her skill.

Going to make a melee basic with Smite Evil on the shaman. I'm assuming that the scared goblins are currently all engaged with Delilah, leaving me open to charge the shaman. If not, the attack goes to whichever goblin decides to get in my face, with no Smite attached -- they're not worth it.
Melee Basic vs. AC 17, Goblin Shaman + Smite Evil: 1d20+5 8
... thanks, Orokos.
Smite Evil damage, halved for miss: 1d8+1d12+3 10
Welp, that's 5 damage to the shaman (or 1 miss damage to a goblin), plus Divine Domain (Leadership) triggers to give my allies +1 to attack my target until the start of my next turn. Someone roll better than I did!

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	25/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	9/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Divine Domain: Leadership* (1/rd)	       [x][ ] Bonus Smite Evil Uses
[ ] Racial: That's Your Best Shot?	       [ ] Invocation of Leadership
[x] Smite Evil

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Delilah felt a chill run up her spine as Ludwig's voice echoed throughout the cave, catching only a glimpse as one of the goblins collapsed to the earth behind her. Truthfully, while she had been fully aware of the gnome's reputation as a comedian, his skills in combat were more of a mystery to her. Another question she would have to pose to her party, once they had a chance for rest. For now, she thought as Keeper's divine javelin ricocheted into the rat by her side, what was important was that there were far less foes than there were just a few seconds ago. Her allies seemed intent on finishing off the wounded shaman, a task she would have to leave to them, surrounded as she was.

"Come on you lot, you can do better than that!"

With a taunting smile, she struck out against the goblin she had first engaged with.

Melee Attack v. Goblin R (AC 16): 1d20+7 12
Well, at least I'm drawing their attention well enough. AC is back to 19, Carving, 18-20 critical range now, and Counter-Attacking first goblin to miss me with a Natural Odd with basic melee at half damage.

pre:
Stats
HP          29/30
AC          19
PD          14
MD          11
Rec.        8/9 (1d10+2)
MBA        1d20+5, 1d8+4
RBA        1d20+4, 1d8+3

Threatening: -3 to disengage checks against me
Battle/At-Will*
[ ] Shield Bash* (A)
[x] Carve an Opening* (18-20)
[ ] Defensive Fighting*
[ ] Tough as Iron
[x] Counter-Attack* (1/rd)

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

The goblins may not speak the common tongue, but it seems they can understand it. Delilah's taunts work her attackers into a foaming rage, spuring them to swing harder and with less accuracy than ever before. The first attacker's club snaps as it strikes the ground, the end spinning off into the darkness. The second blow is devestating however. For all of Delilah's speed, she is left entirely open and the second assault strikes her directly atop the head. Her vision blurs, then blinks out for a few seconds and white hot pain flashes inside her skull. There is a boisterous snarling cheer from the assembled goblins. Convinced that his brothers have Delilah handled, but fearing for the health of the shaman, the third goblin attempts to slip away whilst Delilah is weakened.

He scuttles away, one fist pounding the ground like a much larger creature, the club acting as a walking stick. Thora, her attention on the shaman, receives a violent blow to the back that permeates her armour. The shaman grins spitefully, then lunges for Thora's throat with a rusty dagger but the slashing attack is wild and erratic.

Ludwig, how does your gender change and is it noticable to others? If we are uncomfortable with this particular development, feel free to change something else instead.
Attack Vs. Delilah AC: 1d20+6 12 Miss!
Attack Vs. Delilah AC: 1d20+6 26 Crit! 12 damage! Ouch!
Goblin Green disengages and prompts an OA.
OA vs Goblin Green: 1d20+5 15 1d8+4 8 Miss!
Attack Vs. Thora AC: 1d20+6 21 Hit! 6 damage!
Attack Vs. Thora AC: 1d20+6 14

Alain, Ludwig, Thora are up at 2 escalation. Delilah and Keeper are up at 3 escalation.

pre:
Delilah AC19 PD14 MD11	17/30 HP  (+2 AC)  (-3 to all disengage checks against) 
Keeper 	AC19 PD14 MD13	26/30 HP 
Scared Goblin (R) AC16 PD13 MD12 20/22 HP
Goblin Shaman     AC17 PD16 MD12 7/34 HP (Bloody)
Alain	AC11 PD11 MD15	23/27 HP (On attack, cast sheild)
Ludwig	AC13 PD13 MD13	24/24 HP  (+3 disengage UeoLudgig)
Thora 	AC20 PD14 MD14	19/33 HP
Escalation: 2

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh don't worry, I'm riding the High Weirdness train wherever it takes me. Didn't quite expect that one to pop up two combat rounds into the game though! :v:

Ludwig...?

Even embroiled in battle as everyone is, one can't help but notice, as Ludwig weaves past Keeper into a more opportune position, that the jester's usual bumbling demeanor seems to have been replaced with a certain... grace. And on second glance also that his beard stubble has gone, his features and voice have noticably softened and the body beneath his shirt appears to be somewhat more pronounced around the hips and chest area.

The gnome does not appear to have noticed any change as she playfully aims with one eye along her outstretched arm and finger at the shaman and makes a motion as if firing a crossbow... only at the last moment she seems to be struck by a fancy and aims instead at the barely wounded goblin near Delilah. "Away from her, I'm warning you - hell hath no fury like me!" she laughs as a ghostly arrow shoots forth, trailing sparks, and strikes the brute in the shoulder.

The sight of the arrow serves as a sudden reminder of a magic word - without thinking, Ludwig, whose name seems less fitting by the minute, speaks it, and suddenly holds several more silvery throwing darts between her fingers.

Move so I'm nearby all enemies
Force Tentacle (random enemy, PD): 1d4 2 1d20+7 17 1d10+4 7
Numbering all present enemies left to right, that's the red goblin.
Chaos Magic: 1d3 3 - Iconic
Iconic Roll: 1d12 1 - The Archmage
Next turn's spell is Silver Arrows - guaranteed 4 damage to 1d3 enemies.

pre:
Ludwig

Next spell category: Iconic - The Archmage

AC 13
PD 13
MD 13

Daily Spells [ ]

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

A strike to the back. Sudden pain, the ringing of metal on metal as it's forced into flesh --

No. This isn't the time. Does the Great Gold Wyrm notice when an imp slashes at His scales? No. He holds the line; He perseveres. Thora simply didn't have the luxury of acknowledging the goblin as a threat, of perhaps emboldening it. Instead, she took the blow stoically, nearly inhumanly so. This wound was not a true wound, and however dark the situation looked, she would stand firm.

Using That's Your Best Shot? to respond to the hit from Goblin G and take a recovery. Since the escalation die's at 2 when this triggers, it's a full recovery.
That's Your Best Shot? Recovery: 1d10+3 11

... Yes, she could keep fighting. At least, she could try to keep fighting; try as she might to stay stoic, the pain and disorientation were still present. Her next swing at the goblin shaman went wild, if still landing a glancing blow. At least, she hoped, she still had his attention, and perhaps that would give her allies an opportunity to end this chaotic dance.

Melee basic vs. AC 17, Goblin Shaman: 1d20+6 7
... Yeah. 1 miss damage, and re-trigger Divine Domain: Leadership to give my allies +1 attack against the shaman. Eventually I might not whiff an attack roll. Eventually.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[x] Racial: That's Your Best Shot?	       [ ] Invocation of Leadership
[x] Smite Evil

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Her head spinning from the direct blow to her head, Delilah found herself unable to react in time as one of the goblins slipped away from her range. Grunting from the impact, she briefly shoved off the two remaining goblins, giving her a chance to try and catch her breath.

Using Tough as Iron to rally as a quick action.
Tough as Iron Recovery: 1d10+2 4

While it wasn't as effective as the divine healing that Keeper had given her earlier, it would hopefully be enough for Delilah to stay up on her feet. The wound that Thora had received worried the halfling for a moment, but it seemed as if the dwarf managed to keep herself together through the surprise stabbing. Turning her worry to anger, Delilah lashed out against the goblins returning to strike again.

Melee Attack v. Goblin R (AC 16): 1d20+8 15
Are you serious. Carving, 17-20 critical range now.

pre:
Stats
HP          21/30
AC          19
PD          14
MD          11
Rec.        7/9 (1d10+2)
MBA        1d20+5, 1d8+4 (+3 Escalation)
RBA        1d20+4, 1d8+3 (+3 Escalation)

Battle/At-Will*
[ ] Shield Bash* (A)
[x] Carve an Opening* (17-20)
[ ] Defensive Fighting*
[x] Tough as Iron

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Keeper, Forgeborn Cleric

New data acquired re: ally composition. Tactical effect: negligible.

Although I will need to sit down with my gnomish compatriot to ensure they understand the health-related repercussion of their shapeshifting, it shouldn’t impinge their abilities. Luckily, as both Delilah and Thora are injured by their foes.Their own faith and inner grit seem to be enough to sustain them, but I begin to warm up the secondary hope focuser just in case.

The shaman’s will is obviously flagging, and they are still the single biggest threat. I level my prayer emitter at him, waiting for the perfect moment in his battle with Thora. Wait… wait… wait… NOW!

Javelin of Faith vs PD16: 1d20+8 22
Damage: 1d6+3 6

As the shaman leaps back from the brunt of Thora’s swing, he intersects the path of the holy beam I fired a moment before. The goblin slumps unconscious to the cave floor, twitching slightly.

Hmmm. Memo: inform companions that Emac’s power doesn’t kill sentient creatures.

pre:
Keeper
HP	16/30	                   [x] Spirits of the Righteous         [ ] Bless
MD	13                         [x][] Heal                           [ ] Invocation of Lore

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Alain

With the Shaman managed, the game now is to deal with the other goblins. Alain takes careful aim at the one engaging Miss Hraskin, murmuring a chant in a dead language that is full of throaty syllables like the warning growl of something large and toothy. An large icicle, nearly a foot and a half in length and deadly sharp, materializes from the frost-thickened air and launches itself at the goblin with terrifying speed.

Ray of Frost on Goblin Green: 1d20+7 25
Ray of Frost Damage: 3d6 11

It catches the goblin just as it's about to go for another swipe, burying itself half way into it's shoulder.

pre:
Stats
HP          23/27
AC          11
PD          11
MD          15
Rec.        8/8 (1d6+2)

Spells

Per-battle
Countermagic

At-Will
Ray of Frost

Daily
Acid Arrow
Charm Person

Recharge
Shield

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

Keeper's javelin of faith strikes the reeling shaman without mercy and drops him to the floor, momentarily unconscious. Seconds later, another goblin is shocked down to the point of being visibly injured. Crystaline ice hangs from his shoulder like an ugly sharp growth. The goblins shoot nervous glances at each other with their yellow eyes. They bark and snort fearfully. Without warning, two of them turn and bolt for the door, slipping through gaps in the cave wall and vanishing out into the still raging storm. You doubt they stand much chance against the elements, but it seems they judge those odds favourable to staying in the cave.

The final goblin backs away slightly, carefully taking in the sight of all of you. He rhythmically beats the ground with his club and curses at you in Goblin. He runs at Delilah on short, stumpy legs, and makes a wild swing that the halfling easily bats away with her shield.

Delilah: How do you defend yourself most of the time? How are the monsters failing to hit your AC? Is it because you are so nimble and acrobatic? Do you block with your shield with incredible accuracy? Does the armour you wear allow you to simply take the blows?

Combat ends next round. Let's see if you guys can get any hits off!
Alain, Ludwig, Thora are up at 3 escalation. Delilah and Keeper are up at 4 escalation.

Courage Check: 1d20 18 1d20 6 1d20 3 Only red remains.
Attack Vs. Delilah AC: 1d20+6 11 Miss!

pre:
Delilah AC19 PD14 MD11	21/30 HP  (+2 AC)  (-3 to all disengage checks against) 
Keeper 	AC19 PD14 MD13	26/30 HP 
Scared Goblin (R) AC16 PD13 MD12 12/22 HP
Alain	AC11 PD11 MD15	23/27 HP (On attack, cast sheild)
Thora 	AC20 PD14 MD14	32/33 HP
Escalation: 3

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Ludwig"

The gnome almost feels sorry for the last remaining goblin... but he keeps attacking Dee and needs to be taken out. She's not about to waste this really neat spell, either. "Strike true" she whispers to one of the darts and chucks it at the brute, and it does at it's told. No amount of weaving or guarding can keep these arrows from finding their target. The dart curves in the air and slams into the goblin's forehead, where it explodes into silvery dust; there's no blood or wound, but it's a nasty blow nonetheless.
Cool, I don't even need to roll anything - there's only one target left, the 4 force damage are an Effect, and I only have defensive spells left in rotation anyway.
pre:
Ludwig

Next spell category: Defense

AC 13
PD 13
MD 13

Daily Spells [ ]

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

For defense, I primarily imagined Delilah using her shield if she has it on her so that she can master the use of it, her natural reflexes helping her to deflect and block blows. Rounds where she uses Evasive has her going back to her roots of dodging out of the way.

Delilah watches as the two other goblins rush out of the cave as the shaman falls, leaving only the one she had originally engaged behind. Knocking away with her shield what is likely to be his last club strike, a magic dart curves around her, throwing
the goblin off his feet. Seizing the opportunity, Delilah stood over the fallen, frightened creature and stabbed downward.

Melee Attack v. Goblin R (AC 16): 1d20+9 21
Melee Damage v. Goblin R (HP 8): 1d8+4 12

Not wanting to make it any more painful than she had to, Delilah thrust downward into the goblin's heart before it even had the chance to recover. And with that, she thought, this battle at least was over. Letting out a wearied breath, she started walking back to the rest of her party, speaking as she did.

"Everyone all right? Sorry 'bout letting some of them slip by."

Of course my one attack that hits does max damage.

pre:
Stats
HP          21/30
AC          19
PD          14
MD          11
Rec.        7/9 (1d10+2)
MBA        1d20+5, 1d8+4 (+3 Escalation)
RBA        1d20+4, 1d8+3 (+3 Escalation)

Battle/At-Will*
[ ] Shield Bash* (A)
[ ] Carve an Opening* (17-20)
[ ] Defensive Fighting*
[ ] Tough as Iron

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

With a hacking choked grunt, the final conscious goblin inside the cave falls still and dies. The wind outside grows into a crescendo that never drops, as if it was waiting for such an event. Sheets of rain falls through the gaps in the trees and you can imagine the folks at home running outside to fill buckets, saucepans, waterproof sheets, anything they can whilst there is water coming. From experience, however, you know that the riverbed will swallow any rain that makes its way there. This will keep Summer Vale going for a little longer, but it is not a solution to the problem. Though the night will be cold, the cave will provide enough shelter to light a fire and get some sleep.

Yet there is still a very much alive shaman passed out on the ground.

All that is left to do is sort out the shaman and settle down for the night - let me know when you want to move on.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Keeper, Forgeborn Cleric

Combat concluded. Tactical Module disengaging

I allow myself a moment to initialize a minor self-repair subfunction, grunting softly as liquid metal and fresh oils are released into the affected areas.

Heal w/ Recovery: 1d8+3 6
Heal w/ Recovery: 1d8+3 5

“No need for apologize Mistress Heartspring, I don’t believe any of us were expecting goblin mobs this close to the Vale. I do believe we acquitted ourselves quite well under the circumstances.” I look down at the unconscious goblin and my faceplate approximates a frown.

“However, I do feel remiss that I neglected to pass along important information. Its been 68.4 years since I’ve been in a serious combat situation, and the fact that Emac’s power cannot kill sentient creatures was placed in slow-read storage. Emac is dedicated to the cultivating of societies and civilizations, and while it defends its adherents, it will not destroy someone with the capability of forming its own culture.” My hand folds back into grasping-mode and I draw my hammer and heft it suggestively.

“I could always resolve the situation manually if you’d like. Although the creature may be a useful source of information for the area.”

pre:
Keeper
HP	27/30	                   [] Spirits of the Righteous          [ ] Bless
MD	13                         [][] Heal                            [ ] Invocation of Lore
Rec.	6/8 (1d8+3)                                                     [ ] Invocation of Community

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"I'll admit," says Thora, kneeling down next to the goblin shaman and staring intently at his panoply of sinister bone trinkets, "I don't expect much out of this one. I don't think he's likely to tell us much... but it may be worth a chance, nonetheless. We need to know what's going on here, before we continue, and he's the only one likely to know. If we could have gotten one of the rank and file to stand down, they might have been more open to reason, but... ah, well. If this one doesn't value his life, we can grant him that wish."

She pauses. "... Did anyone bring some rope? Or something similar, to keep this goblin bound when he wakes up. I could use some of my cloak, if nothing else -- Great One knows it's not very useful against the weather."

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Watching her companions begin to speak among themselves, Delilah settled down by the opening of the cave, collecting herself after the brief but tiring skirmish.
Recovery: 1d10+2 8

"No rope here," the halfling says after rummaging through her belongings just to make certain. "If we were closer to the village, I could probably get us a pair of shackles or the like, but I don't think we have the time for that."

"Still," Delilah continued after a few seconds of consideration, "Keeper does have a point. 'S pretty odd to see goblins this close to Summer Vale. Didn't seem like they were intending to raid either, with how few of them there were. I dunno if we'll get anything useful out of him, but it's probably worth the effort."

Walking back over to the unconscious shaman in order to intervene if he tried anything when he awoke, Delilah looks up at the forgeborn, hammer in arm.

"Also, I told you Keeper, Mistress Heartspring is a little... just Delilah's fine, or Lilah, or Dee even, as Ludwig seems intent on calling me."

She turns to the gnome as she speaks his name, then stops, analyzing but uncomprehending.

"Uh, Ludwig? You're looking, um, different?"

pre:
Stats
HP          29/30
AC          19
PD          14
MD          11
Rec.        6/9 (1d10+2)
MBA        1d20+5, 1d8+4
RBA        1d20+4, 1d8+3

Battle/At-Will*
[ ] Shield Bash* (A)
[ ] Carve an Opening*
[ ] Defensive Fighting*
[ ] Tough as Iron

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rummaging through her satchel, the jester doesn't reply at first, then looks up in surprise. "Who, me? Uh, it's Lydia, honey. I'm surprised you've forgotten. Haven't taken too bad a blow, have you?" she says jovially, but not without concern. And most strikingly, apparently entirely unaware that any change has taken place, even though you all very clearly remember setting off with scruffily bearded old Ludwig who tells the village men jokes most women wouldn't dream of admitting they even know. "I do feel a bit different, though. Dry and not quite as cold as five minutes ago," she winks.

"I don't know, Keeps," she continues, turning towards the goblin, "it seems kind of cruel to kill him, doesn't it? I mean, he's not doing anything now. And he might know something, at that... if he even speaks our language. Worth a shot." She finally closes her satchel up. "No *cough* rope, I'm afraid. I was *cough* sure I *cough* had... hang on..." She turns away, bends over coughing, looks slightly puzzled and begins to pull a string of knotted handkerchiefs from her mouth. "Ew. Well better out than in, eh folks? Will this do?"

Hope that's okay as far as falling within the general scope of jestering goes. :v:

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Keeper, Forgeborn Cleric

I settle the hammer back in its holder. “I certainly find it preferable to attempt to salvage the goblin, but I would understand if the needs of the many outweighed my own. If Mistress Lydia’s bindings do not hold, my hands can also be detached into a makeshift set of manacles, although i become a bit… unwieldy afterwards. I also know a smattering of Amalgamated Goblinese if language is an issue.”

I begin to tidy up the cave and and prep the fire. “My apologies Miss Delilah, the Previous Occupants held formality in high regard and I fall easily into the speech pattern. Also, a general note: if my observations of recent events are correct, Miss Lydia’s magic can have… interesting side-effects. I would not be too concerned with minor discrepancies.“

That being said, what I’ve seen tonight is a bit more involved than {{Identification Usage Updating}} her usual loose practice of the magical arts. Perhaps a delve into the Archives in in order.

Loremastering Lydia’s Weird Magic: 1d20+5 23(plus a relevant stat. Too bad I didn’t roll that to find shelter eh?)

pre:
Keeper
HP	27/30	                   [] Spirits of the Righteous          [] Bless
AC	19	                   [] Javelin of Faith*               	[] Shield of Faith
PD	14                         [] Racial: Never Say Die*
MD	13                         [][] Heal                            [] Invocation of Lore
Rec.	6/8 (1d8+3)                                                     [] Invocation of Community
MBA     1d20+3; 1d6+2                                                   [] Invocation of Healing

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The trick, for all its unnerving implications, was relatively familiar now to Thora, and she accepted the chain of handkerchiefs from... Lydia?... with a smile. "... Thank you. Let me see about this." She set to binding the unconscious goblin shaman's hands behind his back, as securely as she could manage, although she wasn't particularly skilled in ropework. Perhaps Delilah should be doing this? A guard would know how to secure a prisoner, after all. "Ah, Delilah? Does this look right?"

There was one thing she did know, though: that it was best to take the shaman's tools away from him, both as a bargaining chip and as a way to keep him from pulling any nasty tricks once he woke up. Carefully, she took and set aside the rusty dagger, the bone charm, and the entire leather strap from which it came -- who knew what was in there, or what dark power this shaman could wield with it? Come to think of it, what sort of power was this? Thora tried her best to remember what Reverend Varan had said about this sort of magic, the dark spirits they had seen, these odd bone charms...

Using Acolyte of the Wyrm as a background check to figure out what's up with the shaman's magic/gear, +Int:
Recognizing the shaman's magic (+Acolyte of the Wyrm, +Int): 1d20+4 23

... As for the other magical question, well, that she had no way of knowing. She nodded to Keeper absent-mindedly, though, as he spoke of "minor discrepancies." Whatever had happened to Ludwig -- Lydia, he -- she wasn't suffering because of it and seemed entirely her old self thus far. Maybe it wasn't important. Certainly it wasn't really a priority, not with a bound dark shaman, a howling storm, and a dammed river.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lydia, apparently

While the goblin is being secured, Lydia is pacing up and down. Thora has seen her do this, and some of the others may have as well, or rather, seen Ludwig do it; usually it meant he was trying to get a grip on some final aspect of a performance.

People always think you just have to know how to juggle and fall on your rear end to be a jester, but it's so important to read your audience. Lydia firmy believe the carrot is mightier than the stick, and if she can get this goblin to feel safe, they're much more likely to gain some information. This is not going to be easy since an audience that has just been in a fight with the performer is rarely what you'd call receptive, but at least there's no ground to lose with this guy. How to approach it, though... if it turns out he does speak Lydia's language, what kind of joke would a savage goblin go for? And in the much more likely event that he doesn't... maybe she can set up a candle and do some shadowplay with her hands on the cave wall. He seems to be familiar with that kind of thing.

... do the goblins summon spirits this way? Could Lydia make him believe she can do the same? Suddenly she gets very excited. With a grin, she turns around and rubs her hands. "I may have a few ideas here, folks. Now I'm not saying it's bound to be easy, but I just love a captive audience!"

Attempting to figure out some way of gaining some rapport with the captured goblin shaman through entertainment: 1d20+4 8 plus ability mod
And bollocksing things up royally, it would appear :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

If this was a minor discrepancy, Delilah thought, then just what would a major one be? Both out of curiosity and caution, the questioning words were on the halfling's tongue when Thora spoke out to her. Frozen for a second as she was shook out of her own thoughts, Delilah glanced over the bindings, thinking back on some of the tricks she had been taught in restraining a prisoner. She had better tools to work with then, of course, but the fundamentals were the same...

"Not a bad job, honestly. Lemme see if I can't secure this part here."

Binding the Shaman (Guard-In-Training): 1d20+5 8
Urgh. Not sure what stat would be appropriate? Str is +4, Dex +3, Int +0, and Wis -1

Finishing off the bindings, she stepped away from the shaman, stopping to watch Ludwig, no, Lydia's performance with one eye.

"So, who's gonna do the actual interrogating here? For the record, I don't speak Goblin, although it seemed like those other ones might have understood me when I was yellin' at 'em."
pre:
Stats
HP          29/30
AC          19
PD          14
MD          11
Rec.        6/9 (1d10+2)
MBA        1d20+5, 1d8+4
RBA        1d20+4, 1d8+3

Battle/At-Will*
[ ] Shield Bash* (A)