Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thora Hrasken, Dwarf Paladin

Great Gold Wyrm (positive) Icon Dice: 2#1d6 4 1
Dwarf King (conflicted) Icon Dice: 1d6 2

Thora had expected to have her will and bravery tested, but not by the grinding monotony of travel. The high winds were almost a respite, cutting through the thin cloak she'd grabbed as an afterthought and slightly cooling the sweltering heat from her armor, but her face felt scoured raw. She could, perhaps, endure a while, but she was less certain of her companions, and it was their safety that had to be her first concern. Well, Keeper, she supposed, could probably fend for himself --

Her thoughts were interrupted by Keeper's words, and she nodded emphatically. "Yes, we'd better form up. Alain, Ludwig, you stay closest to Keeper, all right? I think Delilah and I can take the periphery." Already her gaze was casting about through the trees, trying to follow Keeper's instructions. A solid structure would be very welcome right now. If they'd reached the mountains, she might have been able to seek out stable caves and crevices, but in the woods, who knew what safe shelter looked like?

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	33/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	9/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+4
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

Battle/At-Will*		                       Daily
[ ] Bastion                   		       [ ] Hammer of Faith
[ ] Divine Domain: Leadership* (1/rd)	       [ ][ ] Bonus Smite Evil Uses
[ ] Racial: That's Your Best Shot?             [ ] Invocation of Leadership
[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Once they'd stepped into the cave, things had moved almost too quickly for Thora to react -- but now, with the goblins and their rats upon her, clarity was returning, even if it came with pain. They had to do something about that shaman, but first, there were more imminent threats.

Keeper had taken the brunt of the shaman's wrath, Thora realized, and for someone made of metal, he wasn't much of a combatant; she'd have to be ready to protect him, as well as Alain and Ludwig behind him. The line had to be held, and while the rats were a nuisance, she suspected they'd be much less of a problem without their keepers. Now was the time to try for a decisive blow and turn the tide before the goblins got their nerve up. She tightened her grip on her warhammer, offered a brief mental prayer, and swung at the gibbering goblin engaging her. The strike wasn't as confident as it should have been, but perhaps even that would help...

Using Smite Evil on a melee basic attack:
Melee Basic vs. AC 16, Orange Goblin + Smite Evil: 1d20+4 7
... Awesome. Well, still half damage on a miss:
Smite Evil damage: 1d8+1d12+4 18
That's 9 damage, 4 if the Smite Evil d12 isn't added into the half-damage-on-miss -- it occurs to me that I don't know if it is.
Also using the power of Divine Domain: Leadership to give my allies +1 attack versus this goblin until the start of my next turn, and readying Bastion to intercept the highest-damage attack on Keeper, Ludwig, or Alain in the goblins' next initiative pass (or just Keeper, if the others aren't close enough).

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	25/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec. 9/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA 1d20+4; 1d8+4
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Divine Domain: Leadership* (1/rd)	       [ ][ ] Bonus Smite Evil Uses
[ ] Racial: That's Your Best Shot?             [ ] Invocation of Leadership
[x] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Ludwig--!"

There was a scripture about this sort of thing, about the hidden depths of all who stood against evil, but Thora was in no place to remember the exact words at the moment. It was a reassurance, or was meant to be, but... she wasn't sure the Great Gold Wyrm had meant the sort of hidden depths she'd just seen. Thora knew Ludwig mostly as the only one who could make Grandfather laugh, and now he'd just shouted a goblin to death, and... what else? Something with a shadow...? Something seemed wrong, but Thora couldn't place it. Perhaps that was the Great Gold Wyrm's way of telling her this wasn't the time.

What was important was that the goblin was dead, along with its rat-thing, and the shaman was mostly unguarded now. Delilah was fending off the goblin horde ably enough -- Thora would have to keep watch on that, but it seemed as if it were best to press the advantage and try to cut off the horde's head. Thora surged forward, trying to close on the shaman before any of the other goblins could readily intercept her, and she tried to simply lay him low with a single hammer-blow. Perhaps it was sacrelige to call upon too much of the Gold Wyrm's power too soon, but... they needed this victory to come swiftly if their souls were to remain dedicated to the quest. And, of course, they needed to stay alive. Spirit could do little without some support of flesh, even if it felt as if Thora was propelled more by her faith than by her skill.

Going to make a melee basic with Smite Evil on the shaman. I'm assuming that the scared goblins are currently all engaged with Delilah, leaving me open to charge the shaman. If not, the attack goes to whichever goblin decides to get in my face, with no Smite attached -- they're not worth it.
Melee Basic vs. AC 17, Goblin Shaman + Smite Evil: 1d20+5 8
... thanks, Orokos.
Smite Evil damage, halved for miss: 1d8+1d12+3 10
Welp, that's 5 damage to the shaman (or 1 miss damage to a goblin), plus Divine Domain (Leadership) triggers to give my allies +1 to attack my target until the start of my next turn. Someone roll better than I did!

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	25/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	9/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Divine Domain: Leadership* (1/rd)	       [x][ ] Bonus Smite Evil Uses
[ ] Racial: That's Your Best Shot?	       [ ] Invocation of Leadership
[x] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

A strike to the back. Sudden pain, the ringing of metal on metal as it's forced into flesh --

No. This isn't the time. Does the Great Gold Wyrm notice when an imp slashes at His scales? No. He holds the line; He perseveres. Thora simply didn't have the luxury of acknowledging the goblin as a threat, of perhaps emboldening it. Instead, she took the blow stoically, nearly inhumanly so. This wound was not a true wound, and however dark the situation looked, she would stand firm.

Using That's Your Best Shot? to respond to the hit from Goblin G and take a recovery. Since the escalation die's at 2 when this triggers, it's a full recovery.
That's Your Best Shot? Recovery: 1d10+3 11

... Yes, she could keep fighting. At least, she could try to keep fighting; try as she might to stay stoic, the pain and disorientation were still present. Her next swing at the goblin shaman went wild, if still landing a glancing blow. At least, she hoped, she still had his attention, and perhaps that would give her allies an opportunity to end this chaotic dance.

Melee basic vs. AC 17, Goblin Shaman: 1d20+6 7
... Yeah. 1 miss damage, and re-trigger Divine Domain: Leadership to give my allies +1 attack against the shaman. Eventually I might not whiff an attack roll. Eventually.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[x] Racial: That's Your Best Shot?	       [ ] Invocation of Leadership
[x] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"I'll admit," says Thora, kneeling down next to the goblin shaman and staring intently at his panoply of sinister bone trinkets, "I don't expect much out of this one. I don't think he's likely to tell us much... but it may be worth a chance, nonetheless. We need to know what's going on here, before we continue, and he's the only one likely to know. If we could have gotten one of the rank and file to stand down, they might have been more open to reason, but... ah, well. If this one doesn't value his life, we can grant him that wish."

She pauses. "... Did anyone bring some rope? Or something similar, to keep this goblin bound when he wakes up. I could use some of my cloak, if nothing else -- Great One knows it's not very useful against the weather."

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The trick, for all its unnerving implications, was relatively familiar now to Thora, and she accepted the chain of handkerchiefs from... Lydia?... with a smile. "... Thank you. Let me see about this." She set to binding the unconscious goblin shaman's hands behind his back, as securely as she could manage, although she wasn't particularly skilled in ropework. Perhaps Delilah should be doing this? A guard would know how to secure a prisoner, after all. "Ah, Delilah? Does this look right?"

There was one thing she did know, though: that it was best to take the shaman's tools away from him, both as a bargaining chip and as a way to keep him from pulling any nasty tricks once he woke up. Carefully, she took and set aside the rusty dagger, the bone charm, and the entire leather strap from which it came -- who knew what was in there, or what dark power this shaman could wield with it? Come to think of it, what sort of power was this? Thora tried her best to remember what Reverend Varan had said about this sort of magic, the dark spirits they had seen, these odd bone charms...

Using Acolyte of the Wyrm as a background check to figure out what's up with the shaman's magic/gear, +Int:
Recognizing the shaman's magic (+Acolyte of the Wyrm, +Int): 1d20+4 23

... As for the other magical question, well, that she had no way of knowing. She nodded to Keeper absent-mindedly, though, as he spoke of "minor discrepancies." Whatever had happened to Ludwig -- Lydia, he -- she wasn't suffering because of it and seemed entirely her old self thus far. Maybe it wasn't important. Certainly it wasn't really a priority, not with a bound dark shaman, a howling storm, and a dammed river.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"... oh. Oh. Thank you. Yes, let's... let's deal with this."

Thora tries to shake off the indecision that stayed her hand. Mercy is a difficult subject for the warriors of the Great Gold Wyrm -- how does one balance the need to do as little harm as possible in the world, to stem the tide of suffering, and the concerns of safety? There were already goblins fleeing; would the addition of the shaman to their numbers have mediated whatever they told their tribes, or just increased the chance of dangerous reprisal? She just hadn't known, hadn't been able to make a decision, and Delilah had made it for her. There was so much left to learn, and she'd have to learn it quickly.

Setting down her hammer and shield to free her hands, Thora steps towards the bodies. "Best to bury them, I'd think, if we have the tools. I don't know what goblins do with their dead. We can't exactly burn them in this cave, and going outside for it isn't really an option..." Of course, they could probably just be thrown outside, but that felt wrong. Perhaps goblins didn't have much dignity, but rotting goblins in front of the cave would surely attract unwanted attention. And, of course, there would be a smell.

Oh, yes, what an adventure they were having.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thora had slept acceptably, once she'd slept; it had taken a bit to calm her nerves after the burial, and longer to inspect her armor to make sure no serious damage had been done, but afterwards she slept like a stone. Like the dead, to use the human expression, unpleasant though it was. She felt alive now, at least, if not at her best. She would go on, and so would her companions. Ludwig was himself again, which was at least going to cause a bit less confusion... even if his coin trick managed to cause a bit more. Where in the world did he get all this?

"I was thinking that way myself," said Thora quietly, already cautious for what might be watching or listening. "Those goblins had to go somewhere. If there are camps nearby, I'd rather know before we stumble upon them. I'd rather have as few surprises as possible... are we all in condition to climb the ridge? I'd rather stay together, but if anyone's not feeling capable..."

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

"Mm. Yes, there's something to be said for simple speed... the riverbank, then? It may not be easy travel, but we don't have much time to lose, and if it's too hard going, we can divert to the woodlands. Of course, if anyone isn't feeling capable of hard travel... well, that changes things."

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Delilah didn't seem to need help hauling the troll corpse, but Thora stood by just in case she did -- it was, under the circumstances, the least she could do. At Ludwig's words, she paused. "... The head can be replaced? And the troll wakes up? Should we keep it farther away? We could bury them separately, but that'd take time, and I think I agree with Keeper. We should be ready for whatever's going to happen, but we should keep moving. I don't think there's any way we can convince wild beastmen that we're their allies, not with... all the metal we're wearing. And that Keeper's made of."

She glances again at the troll's head. Really, they can come back from that?

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The others seemed to have the talking under control, and frankly, Thora figured she was better off focusing on the dam and the potential danger than thinking too deeply about whatever it was Alain had done to... Vajak? The orc. (It was strange to think of orcs having names, but they were people of the world, not simply a threat to it. Weren't they? That was a fact to meditate about, sometime when she had the time and freedom to meditate.) Besides, the structure of the dam had caught her interest. Wood wasn't her or her family's specialty, but even so, it seemed obvious that it simply wouldn't work -- not half as well as it appeared to be working. There was a trick here. Perhaps it was magic, perhaps it was engineering, but it was a trick, and they'd have to know it if they intended to see it torn down.

They would, of course, see it torn down. However the chat with Vajak went, the structure he guarded would not stand. Thora had promised as much, and now she just had to figure out how best to fulfill that promise.

Rolling my Daughter of the Hraskens background, which involves a certain amount of building/architecture knowledge, to try and figure out what the deal is with this dam:
Figure out the orcish dam engineering: 1d20+4 19
That's with Wisdom. If this is more of an Int roll, that's an 18.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

With diplomacy clearly breaking down and the orcs already having made their demands, Thora sees no need to stay silent. "You're bluffing. You've done good work with this dam, but it's not blocking anything, is it? You found a dry riverbed with a village downstream and decided to try your luck. Leave now and we'll let you go peacefully, but don't think your extortion will work."

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

For a second, it seemed like Ludwig's offer might work, and Thora is briefly hopeful. The orcs do seem to have a knack for construction, after all; there'd be plenty of gainful work for them in the village --

And then, of course, it doesn't work. Thora has only a moment to prepare herself, but thankfully she wasn't so hopeful as to entirely override her caution.

Initiative: 1d20+1 13

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thora doesn't hesitate -- how can she? There's an obvious leader here, already wounded and angry, and the only thing to do is to engage him before he could reach her allies. She charges in, a swift end to the conflict on her mind, and directed a wild hammer swing towards the berserker -- undisciplined but nonetheless forceful. "Be careful!" she calls out. "Watch for the archers!"

Melee Basic vs. AC 16, Orcish Berserker + Smite Evil: 1d20+4 7
Welp: Half damage on SE miss: 1d8+1d12+3 20 = 10 final damage to the Berserker
Triggering the Leadership domain power to give my allies +1 attack against the Berserker until the end of my next turn.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	30/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	8/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[x] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

The berserker's blow knocks Thora off-balance, and the second orc strikes before she can react; it's all she can do under the circumstances to stay on her feet, dazed and bleeding, until Keeper's magic bolsters her. Thora inhales deeply, feeling strength and focus return -- with luck, it would be enough to turn the tide again.

Heal-boosted Recovery: 1d10+5 13
Back up to 23 HP, which I believe clears Staggered as well.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	23/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	7/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[x] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thora Hrasken

It's starting to get easier to understand what Ludwig's doing, or perhaps just easier to accept. As the berserker falls to a volley of barbed words, Thora focuses on who's left -- the pair of warriors, one of whom has already taken a blow. She moves in to engage the wounded orc, trying to draw upon her reservoir of fresh strength to keep herself in the fight. With their leader incapacitated, surely they'd have less fight in them now?

The orc snarls and twists away from her hammer-blow, which only grazes his arm. No, Thora thinks, perhaps they still have fight in them...

Melee Basic vs. AC16, Orcish Warrior R: 1d20+5 7
jesus christ orokos
1 miss damage, and invoke Divine Domain: Leadership to give my allies +1 attack versus Orcish Warrior R until the start of my next turn.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	23/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	7/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[x] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thora Hrasken

"... Ludwig. I don't know what this is now, but... be careful."

Why does it always seem to come back to Ludwig? Probably because the rest of Thora's teammates are both predictable and reliable, and while Ludwig is surely a trustworthy companion, "predictable" and "reliable" are almost never appropriate words. Nonetheless, Thora can't stop him from taking a position at the front line, and she doesn't try -- but she prepares herself to intercept the orcish warrior should he come close to Ludwig, or should he make a break for Alain beyond them. Delilah's still fighting hard, though, and Thora decides the best defense would be to join her. There were the archers to worry about, too, and then who knows what else --

No! Thora, focus!

The voice of her better nature stirs Thora to action, and this time, her hammer-blow to the orc is refocused, straight, and true. That's it, she tells herself. Just keep your head about you and you'll see this through.

Melee Basic vs. AC 16, Orcish Warrior B: 1d20+6 25
Melee Basic Damage to Orcish Warrior B: 1d8+3 10
Tagging Orcish Warrior B with Divine Domain: Leadership to give +1 to attack rolls against him until the beginning of my next turn, in case anyone wants to do that last 9 damage. Also preparing Bastion if Ludwig or Alain get hit.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	23/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	7/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[x] Smite Evil

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 21, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thora Hrasken

"I'm right behind you!"

While Delilah's target is still troublingly upright, she does have its attention, and Thora figures it's better to try and distract the other orcish archer to try and give Keeper room to act. She charges in to intercept the unengaged archer, yelling at the top of her lungs to try and distract him further. "I don't know why you're so devoted to fighting to the finish, when we've offered you better -- but you'll take what you've earned!" With that, she levels her hammer at the orc and smashes him in the chest, driving him back against the burning dam.

"... I wanted to say it's not too late to stand down. But for you it is, isn't it?"

Smite Evil vs. AC 18, Orcish Archer R: 1d20+7 27 Crit!
Smite Evil damage (doubled for crit): (1d8+1d12+3)*2 16
... Yes, that's doubled in the roll. I think I still don't drop him? Awesome, Orokos, thanks.

EDIT: Because I forgot earlier --
Tagging DD: Leadership on Orcish Archer R to give whoever wants to finish him off a +1 to attack
Preparing to use Bastion if Keeper gets hit and That's Your Best Shot? if I get hit

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	23/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	7/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Divine Domain: Leadership* (1/rd)	       [x][x] Bonus Smite Evil Uses
[x] Smite Evil

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 26, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thora Hrasken

Thora'd had lectures about this sort of thing. Not the exact situation, of course -- stone wasn't flammable, at least not readily -- but what to do in the event of a collapse on a work site. It was mostly a matter of dodging, Thora remembered: being able to move quickly, assess safe places...

Unfortunately, speed wasn't one of Thora's strongest attributes even when she wasn't heavily armored, and the safe places were less obvious than one might have hoped. She scrambled back, but not in time to avoid a chunk of flaming timber striking her in the shoulder, knocking her flat.

Safety training (Daughter of the Hraskens): 1d20+3 11
No stat added, but I don't have a +4 in anything, so... yeah. Lumps taken.

It took a moment for Thora to manage to rise and pat herself down for stray sparks (none, thankfully, but an unpleasant scorch mark on her jacket that she'd have to repair when time and peace allowed). The timber that hit her hadn't been too large, but it felt like a slab of paving-stone; her wounds must be taking their toll. "... well. That could have gone better..." She paused, listening to Alain. "... but we did the best we could. We gave them choices. It's a shame about everything, but there's nothing we could have done but fight for our lives."

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	11/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	7/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[x] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thora Hrasken

Thora finds the closest stable riverbed rock to sit down on and focus on breathing. She grabs a roll of cotton from her backpack, carefully binding her wounds; it isn't a substitute for real healing, of course, but it'll keep things stable until she has the chance to find a doctor or magic. Her first priority right now has to be staying strong for what lay ahead.

Taking two recoveries: 2#1d10+3 11 11

"We may want to scout ahead," she says, "but I'd rather not split the group for long if we can help it. I'm willing to help with the scouting. I know a bit about the mountains... well, mostly from stories, but it's better than nothing, I think." Hopefully.

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	33/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	5/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thora Hrasken, Dwarven Paladin

When the party reaches the end of the riverbed and the dry stones beyond, Thora carefully eyes the rocky ex-waterfall, trying to remember the stories her grandfather told about the great dwarven explorers. It wasn't enough for a dwarf simply to work stone; stone also had to be surveyed, scouted, and surmounted, both during the prosperous times of building and expansion and the lean times of war and migration. Climbing isn't a natural talent of her wide, short folk, but if you knew rock with a dwarf's cunning, that and strength can substitute for reach in scaling a wall like this. How does the story go, about the overland team who scouted for the highway to Forge? There was a cliff like this, and an advance scout with a heavy pack...

Carefully, Thora steps to the waterfall rock wall, taking a first cautious grasp on the stone in easiest reach that seems likely to support her weight. When it does, she finds a pair of footholds, and with utmost caution, she begins to surmount the waterfall...

Rolling to scale the waterfall with Inheritor of Memories, for a total of +2 before stat:
Proud Dwarven Rock-Climbing Tradition: 1d20+2 19 +stat (probably Strength, for a total of 22, although Wisdom for 20 might also be appropriate)

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	33/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	5/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thora Hrasken

Thora reaches reflexively for her hammer but then withdraws her hand again, with obvious deliberation. She speaks to her companions in a hoarse whisper, trying to keep her voice low. "... I think we don't meet them with force, at least not yet. They know more about this territory than we do, and maybe they'll be helpful if we're peaceful and just want information. Besides, they use the river too, don't they? ... um. Alain. Just so we know, what did you do?"

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	33/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	5/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6      

[ ] Smite Evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Thora Hrasken, Dwarven Paladin

Demons? Alain had summoned demons? And here she'd been worried about Ludwig. Thora's thoughts on the matter don't progress much beyond that, though, before the beastmen command her attention. She nods to Delilah, taking a moment to find the courage to speak.

"What my friend says is true. The river is dry, and our people suffer for it. We have no desire to sully your hunting grounds, and we wish not to offend you, our neighbors. How can we pass without offense?"

pre:
Stats		                         	            	   
HP	33/33	                           
AC	20	                                               
PD	14                                   
MD	14                                    
Rec.	5/9 (1d10+3)                  
MBA     1d20+4; 1d8+3
RBA	1d20+1; 1d6