Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0GmkkLOsA4
Ahh memories

1 handed backhands are cooler, it's a fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

Might as well start carving Serena's name onto the trophy. Lisicki was the last person who stood a chance to take her down and she went out in 3R.

Kerber beat her in the final of the Australian this year and they could meet in the final again here, plus there's always a chance Serena just has one of her terrible matches and loses to someone totally unexpected, like VInci last year. But yeah she's pretty clearly the heavy favourite, as usual.

I can't believe no one has knocked Venus Williams out yet though. She can barely move around the court.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Kerber beat her in the final of the Australian this year and they could meet in the final again here, plus there's always a chance Serena just has one of her terrible matches and loses to someone totally unexpected, like VInci last year. But yeah she's pretty clearly the heavy favourite, as usual.
Kerber is a counter puncher so grass is a much tougher surface for her to beat Serena on than the slow hard courts of Melbourne. Also, I think Serena was a bit rusty at the beginning of the year.

quote:

I can't believe no one has knocked Venus Williams out yet though. She can barely move around the court.
Her second serve is abysmal as is her backhand, to a lesser extent. Just target her backhand like Nadal did Federer.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

“It was a good first set; the rest of the match was pretty pathetic,” Kyrgios said, adding that “when things get tough, I’m just a little bit soft.”

Final score: 7-5, 6-1, 6-4, Murray, the No. 2 seed and current tournament favorite.

It was a drubbing that left BBC commentators like John McEnroe sounding the alarm. “I hope he sees the writing on the wall before this gets chronic and irreparable,” McEnroe said of Kyrgios on the BBC. “It’s not just the mental side. He needs to work harder at his game.”

McEnroe, moonlighting as Raonic’s coaching consultant here, believes that Kyrgios could use a quality coach. For the moment, Kyrgios chooses to have no coach. “One week, I’m pretty motivated to train and play; I’m really looking forward to getting out there,” Kyrgios said. “One week, I’ll just not do anything. I don’t really know a coach out there that would be pretty down for that one.”

Kyrgios 101.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Kerber will win Wimbledon 2016. She's real good yow.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I kind of miss when Halep didn't grunt.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Halep played a dumpster fire of a tie break. Get out of here.

Great to see Kerber get over her post Oz Open funk.

Jack's Flow posted:

Kyrgios 101.

You didn't post the best bit. The morning of the match he woke up and played videogames. And then he watched a doubles match on Court 18 with the Hewitt family.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 5, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fancyclown posted:

Kerber will win Wimbledon 2016. She's real good yow.
Serena is going to destroy her in straights, unfortunately, Aussie Open final be damned.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

Serena is going to destroy her in straights, unfortunately, Aussie Open final be damned.

Serena is going out today. The resurgance of Nastia :cheeky:

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
Anyone have any spectating advice? At noon I managed to refresh Ticketmaster and enter a complicated captcha which involved making rivers disappear at an incredibly rapid pace. I've never attended a tennis tournament before.

e: going Thursday

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

runoverbobby posted:

Anyone have any spectating advice? At noon I managed to refresh Ticketmaster and enter a complicated captcha which involved making rivers disappear at an incredibly rapid pace. I've never attended a tennis tournament before.

The one thing that stayed with me from when I went to see tennis live was how much clearer the nuances are of the ball's movement. Things like speed, spin, bounce, etc. are much more discernible live than on a broadcast, at least for me they were. I'd pay attention to that. Other than that just enjoy watching tennis commentator-free. :)

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

runoverbobby posted:

Anyone have any spectating advice?

You can bring your own food and drink, which you should as it's expensive on site. There's a free water fountain somewhere.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

runoverbobby posted:

Just in case you didn't already know, they only let spectators enter and leave during changeovers when the players get to sit down for a bit. If you try and leave at other points you'll be getting told off, so don't bother trying.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Halep vs Kerber was a really good match. Kerber for the final against Serena imo and if she keeps playing like this it'll be a hell of a match.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

smenj posted:

Just in case you didn't already know, they only let spectators enter and leave during changeovers when the players get to sit down for a bit.

I didn't know this, thank you :respek:

I'll also bring a bottle of wine and watch the balls spin

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cilic holding his own against Federer so far. 5-5 in the 1st.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Sound the alarm, Roger's dropped the first set :ohdear:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Sodium Chloride posted:

Sound the alarm, Roger's dropped the first set :ohdear:

It's all part of the plan. Create a bit of drama to make it all more exciting.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Cilic is just crushing the ball right now

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh drat, Cilic with the break in the 2nd. He better serve out the set!

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Cillic a break up in the second too now. He's powering that forehand into Federer's backhand and rushing him so he can't get any depth, giving Cillic more time again to run around his backhand and wind up his huge forehand. Federer desperately needs to get Cillic moving laterally more, even if he takes more risks on his backhand side.

Also wouldn't hurt if he could return better, Cillic is dominating it on his first serve.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 6, 2016

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Alllll part of the plan.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cilic:Fed :: Fed:Roddick ?????

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Puckish Rogue posted:

Alllll part of the plan.

What, not getting to the semi finals? :(

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The circle of life. Power beats finesse beats power.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

69 minutes and we're already 5-3 into the second set

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.
All part of the plan

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

I thought Federer would have trouble against two big servers in a row but I didn't think he would struggle at the first hurdle.

Roanic is also two sets up.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Sodium Chloride posted:

What, not getting to the semi finals? :(

i cant begin to understand the masterful plans put to work by the greatest tennis racquet man of all time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Shame the one time Djokovic loses early Federer comes into a major in poor form. Imagine if Anderson had closed it out last year.

On the plus side, if he does lose this I'll at least not have to fret over a Murray/Federer final. Can't decide if that would be a lose-lose or a win-win situation but I lean towards the former.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well I thought he could lose I had just hoped he wouldn't.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

No one cares but Roanic has lost so few points on serve Querrey needs a miracle to win.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The great man resorting to gamesmanship.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

All part of the unnecessary and possibly heartbreaking plan

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
I wish he would come up with a less stressful plan for me.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

This seems a lot like the Berdych/Fed match from 2010 and I think it ends the same way sadly.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Roanic decided to let Querrey take the third set.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Cilic had match point but couldn't keep his return in play. He might regret that.

E: Got aced on match point 2. Set 4 is 6-6 now.

chaoslord fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 6, 2016

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
1 more Roger!

E: ouch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

that forehand to send it to a 5th, all part of the plan baby

• Locked thread