Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yep, Shanny and Lou gotta sign their role players.

Cap isn't even the issue with the Leafs, it's roster spots. Martin's going to be playing in a spot that should be going to someone better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I hate Roman Polak, but if the Leafs turn him into a pick again at the deadline I can forgive the move. RIP Corrado's ice time though.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DuhSal posted:

I get that it's a one year deal and they'll flip him for picks which is fine but I really didn't want to watch another year of Polak. Sigh. I'm pretty okay with the Martin signing. Out of all the dumb punchmen in the league, he's probably the most useful so if they HAD to go get someone to do that nonsense at least it's not Ott or someone. Would've liked for them to have grabbed Parenteau again for another year though.

Thing about Martin is that he is actually good at one real hockey thing, and it fits well with what Babcock expects out of his 4th liners. It's just that I don't really agree with the concept of having a line whose sole purpose is to get killed by better comp for ~10mins a night. And I certainly don't think you should give money+term to those guys.

Right now Leafs fans seem most concerned that adding Polak will necessitate waiving Corrado, which I'm fine with because he's not very good and has no market value.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Wanting to sign Kris Russell for 4 years at any cost is a really good sign that the Leafs management team has lost the plot a little bit.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Polak's cap hit makes sense, if only because with Cowen disputing his buyout the Leafs actually don't have space for much else.

That arbitration's going to be an interesting one. Cowen was medically cleared by Leafs staff, then sent home to not get injured. He gets a second opinion after that and opts for elective surgery, overlapping the buyout period and technically rendering him ineligible. Arbitrator has to decide between protecting rights of injured players vs. setting precedent for otherwise fit players to avoid buyouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mason Raymond is hilarious to watch because he's actually a pretty effective offensive player but he's so high event and bad defensively that it's hard to justify him being on an NHL team.

E: also this applies to Joffrey Lupul but only one of them got signed to one of the biggest contracts in Leafs history. Dave Nonis is terrible

• Locked thread