Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Did no one tell Montreal the sad tale of Bryan Bickell? You do not give poo poo-mucky grinder types money or term, it never ever ever works out in your favor.

This is the story of Bickell
The loneliest grinder in town
The ugliest grinder in town
Ugly and weak
They called him a freak
So he played on a team underground
He played on a team underground
He played on a team underground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Strong chance Detroit re-signs Helm before noon.

I like the dude but he's somewhat redundant on this team and I'm terrified he's going to get an Abdelkader-like contract.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

welp

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 1, 2016

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

The AAV is standard bottom six money on the market, the fifth year kinda sucks and will make him harder to trade later, but that's not an outlandish contract.

Veskit posted:

How is above cap average standard for a bottom 6 player?

It's not. Bottom six dudes are dime a dozen in this league and Detroit has young grinders pushing for roster spots. Big money contracts can be killers but middle of the road dudes signing $4 million/forever are also major cap problems. They're easily replaced internally, but you can basically never get rid of them unless through a buyout. They also set a dumb precedent that any 'character' dudes on the team are suddenly worth that kind of money. Detroit's riddled with these contracts.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Dandy Kaiser posted:

The biggest problems with this deal are if Helm slows down as he gets older (likely) and the other stupid deals that accompany it. However, he's a good possession player who is responsible in his own zone, which is more than I can say for Abdelkader, Kronwall, and Ericsson. I wish he were making somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.75-3 instead, but I'm not going to complain about signing a good player for a drat change and if I don't try to consider this a small victory in Ken Holland somehow leaning toward sanity, I'm going to kill myself

Oh, sure. That's the only way I'm not losing my mind. I actually like Helm. But then you figure that Detroit is spending around $17 million on two bottom six forwards and two bottom pairing defense pairing and, well, uh.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Detroit re-signs Marchenko, 2 years at $1.45m per. Not bad at all.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Term and not cash was always my concern with Holland's deal and Nielsen is signed forever. Guh. At least he'll age gracefully and make up part of a $15m third line for Detroit, I guess.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Wings had a 4 year front-loaded offer to Matt Martin. Jesus gently caress.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Detroit has a total logjam up front (of competent but not great players) so maybe they're orchestrating a trade for a defenseman or two.

Just kidding Holland doesn't trade roster players.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Why Steve Ott? Where the gently caress does he fit in?

And why Steve Ott??????

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

VJeff posted:

I mean it's only 800k but, like...why and stuff.

This is an absurd amount of forwards. He must be working on a trade of some kind.

Maybe they're moving some of them to defense.

Wait, this might not be the worst idea...

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Remember when I was all "calm down, jabronis, it looks like Holland has turned a page"

Remember

(when do we sign Quincey)

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Kronwall-Ericsson
Staal-Girardi
Sbisa-Green

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

In his presser, Holland said that the roster for next season is pretty much set (aside from signing Mrazek and DeKeyser).

holy moly

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Ott's a twenty goal scorer and ex-captain guys, obviously he takes precedent over some young fucker with a name no one can pronounce.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Even if we ignore that Ott is a shithead waste of space, it's the fact that he's an unnecessary addition to the team and is assumed to be a default starter while a guy like AA, who was one of the team's most exciting and productive players down the stretch, has to "earn" a spot.

(the Nielsen term is probably still worse though)

.Spec posted:

that banner image. Everything about it makes me embarrassed.

Needs more fedoras with notecards that say "Press."

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

VJeff posted:

That it's a stupid unnecessary signing, but not act like the sky is falling and arena's gonna burn to the ground?

Mark my words: if Ott plays for Detroit this season, they'll never play at the Joe again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't understand why Detroit didn't make plays for Demers and Campbell, personally. Like I get Campbell took a sweetheart deal, but due diligence often pays off.

September 2016

Blashill: "I'm happy with our squad."
Holland: "I'm happy with the direction we're taking."
Illitch: "I'm happy with the future of the franchise."
Zetterberg: "So Pavs just left? That's an option?"
RWAS: "Braiiiiinnnnns" (because we're dead, you see)

• Locked thread