Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Awesome. I love me some beat em ups. Bit of a lost genre unless you go looking in the indie or mobile gaming scene. The Dreamcast was home to some good ones too. I'm sure you have but did you ever play Zombie Revenge?

Phanos posted:

What do you recommend? I've played most of the classics (Streets of Rage is my wife's favorite) and I'm eager to know if there's anything that might be lesser known that you recommend.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

That depends on what consoles you have. For Genesis, Hyperstone Heist is a realtively easy TMNT beat 'em up with solid controls and production values, and Captain America and The Avengers is bit off-the-wall rapid-fire, like an arcade game, but still has lots of punching.

Captain Commando, Sonic Blast Heroes 2 for SNES are very colorful, co-operative beat 'em ups with a lot of challenge and variety.

For PS1/Nintendo 64 there's the original Fighting Force, which is similar to Dynamite Cop here, but less goofy (and it's co-op too). There's the PS1 exclusive Gekido, which is a pseudo-top-down beat 'em up with rock/funk music and lots of very muscular anime guys hitting each other, Crisis Beat and Lucifer Ring, both for the PS1 (the latter is on the PlaystationStore if you can't import) have very slick controls and are easy to master.

As for PS2, Batman: Rise of Sin Tzu heavily inspired by old SNES/Genesis beat 'em ups, but with a deeper combo system (that still isn't difficult to grasp). Urban Reign for co-op, juggle focused beat 'em up gameplay that looks super flashy. State of Emergency, as simple as beat 'em ups can get, arcadey from top to bottom, fun in short bursts, high-score focused.

And for PS3/360... Watchmen: End is Nigh is the most like traditional beat 'em ups, co-op and very simple, heavy satisfying sound effects though.

Solid titles but allow me to add Castle Crashers to that list for Xbox 360/Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/204360/

And if you like Streets of Rage, then you might like the Streets of Rage Remake, an unbelievably high quality fan game:

http://www.soronline.net/sorr_info.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread