Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Locked thread
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rodan 008

Rodan lowers his flamer in one hand, disgusted. "Worthless."

He should've known better than to think he could avoid getting his hands dirty. No more playing, no more wasting time. Efficiency in murder was the greatest virtue, and he'd allowed himself to forget that. Petty little bursts of fire, ha! As though fire could compare to the raw power of a focused mind. Had he really risked his mental integrity only to make that screeching thing stronger? How stupid it all seemed in hindsight. He'd let the glimmer of flames distract him from the value of raw, crushing force. Never again.

He draws his "sword." It was just a hilt with a tiny shard of psy-reactive crystal embedded in it, useless to anyone but him. He clears his mind, takes a deep breath, and calls up all the raw killing fury he can possibly control. It flows through his arms and into the weapon. An invisible blade shimmers into existence with a crack of vacating air, visible only by the distortion of light passing through it. Not a true force weapon, but as close as he was likely to ever wield. Even now, with his once-focused mind scattered by growing corruption and madness, it would cut like a power blade. Now, that abomination of the Blood God would die by his hand. And then an invisible fist slams into the back of his head, cutting off his thoughts.

He whirls on his heels and his blind rage turns to fear. It was transparent and shimmering like his blade, a silhouette of himself. A telekinetic ghost of self-loathing, speaking with the voice that lurked in his head. Stumbling, seemingly unused to having limbs, it reached out and clumsily grappled him. Its grip was crushing and icy cold. "Your body is mine," it croaked, "Give in to me. You are too broken to take advantage of your power. Only I can wield you to your true potential. Let me help you, Rodan. Let me kill you."

It's soon joined by a thousand other whispering voices from the Warp. Rodan struggles against the iron grip of his own mind and tries to scream, but his voice is dead in his throat.

---------------------

Since Fire is now Officially Worthless against anything even remotely threatening, I hope that after this fight ends you won't mind letting me refund that XP I spent on pyromancy in favor of force bolt.

Rodan is ahead of Tess, so I won't take that Whispers test until after my actions. Push Telekinetic Weapon and half-action move towards the bloodbeast.

Telekinetic Weapon (Push PR 7) vs 71 (36 Base +35 PR +10 Psy-Focus -10 Fear): 40

Psychic Phenomena +10: 63, the Psyker is assailed by unseen horrors. He is slammed to the ground and suffers 1d5 wounds in Damage (ignoring armour, but not Toughness Bonus) and he must test against Fear (2). It doesn't say I'm knocked Prone, so I assume I'll still be able to move if I pass the Fear test.

Furies Damage: 3, soaked by Toughness.

Fear (2) TN 36: 46, which would be an exact success if not for the lingering Fear penalty. The dice continue to mock me.

Shock +20: 23, I'll scale that back to "the character can only take a single Half Action during his next turn." If I can take that penalty this turn and just choose not to move, great, otherwise I guess I'll get over two wasted turns.

Warp Whispers vs 16: 51

Corruption/WP Damage: 4


pre:
Wounds: 12/12      AP: 4 All
IP: 1/2          TB: 3 (5 Legs)
Movement: 4/8/12/24
Dodge/Precog Dodge: 40/(41/46/66) (Fettered/Unfettered/Max Push)

WS   BS  S   T    Ag   Int  Per  WP   Fel  
46   32  40  36   40   30   41   42    30

Skills: Awareness, Dodge, Intimidate, Psyniscience, Stealth

Talents: Ambidextrous, Child of the Warp, Jaded, PR 3, Sprint

(Relevant) Psychic Powers:
PR 3, Bound (Always push at +4, it's a +10 Phenomena roll no matter what)

Maintaining: Telekinetic Weapon (PR 7)

Fire Bolt (+10 WP, Free Action, 15m per PR, 1d10+PR E Bolt, 5+ DoS on a hit lights target on fire.)
Manifest Flame
Mind Over Matter
Precision Telekinesis (+0 WP, Half Action/Half Action, 5m per PR)
Precognitive Dodge (-10 Per, Reaction)
Telekinetic Weapon (-10 WP, Half Action/Free Action)
Warp Vortex (+0 WP, Half Action/Half Action, 25m per PR, ToF pg. 47 or click here)

Weapons      	 	Rng		RoF		Dam		Pen		Clip	Rld		Qualities
Flamer                  20m             ---             1d10+4E         2               5/6     2 Full          Flame, Spray
Neural Whip             03m		---		1d10+5R         0               ---     ---             Flexible, Shocking
Telekinetic Weapon	---		---		1d10+11R	7		---	---		Special*

*Manifested via the power of the same name; 1d10+PR+SB R damage, PR Pen, cannot be destroyed by power fields.
**Listed damage includes SB, all bonuses, etc.

Wargear/Abilities:

Psy-Focus

BC Bionic Legs: +2 TB on leg hits, Sprint,  +20 Acrobatics to leap/jump.
Black Blood: Always lightly wounded, heals 2 wounds per day.

Quick and the Dead: +2 Initiative
Haunted: +10 to enemy Intimidate
Intelligent Cyst: +2 DoF on failed Interactions

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at Nov 21, 2016 around 01:10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe

Yeseul

No matter how Yeseul hewed at the pain-beast, the flesh seemed to knit back together almost as soon as the blade passed through. What was the use of a weapon that broke apart molecular bonds when the target ignored the laws of physics? Complete bullshit.

And then a wash of witchfire coated it, droplets of empyrean fire flicking off the singular large tentacle in a vaguely suggestive manner. This just kept getting worse.

The next blow lands well enough, the blade catching on something tough under all that tumescent flesh. Taking resistance as a sign of progress, Yeseul drags the power sword through, hoping something real and vital had been struck.

Until the visions and whispers started again. A mass of leering daemonic apparitions, watching the show with all the enthusiasm extraplanar monsters could. Once they noticed Yeseul noticing them, the whispers became a cacophony. "How about that! This one can see us!" one shadowy mass exclaims excitedly, "Call me if you survive this!" "Watch out for your daemonhost friend, you can't trust those types!" "Hey Yeseul, kill your friends!" "Your soul looks delicious! Just slightly burnt, perfect!" "So close I could almost touch you!" "Read my blog!"

Meanwhile, Aricia suffers the dawning realisation that antagonising the blood-spewing mass of claws and fangs is bad for your health.


Half aim/standard attack Slaanesh spawn: 1d100 2 vs 83 (33 WS+10 Standard Attack +10 Aim +10 Ganging Up +20 Enormous)
power sword damage: 1d10 3 Replace that with 9DoS = 16 damage, 5 pen

Warp whispers again: 1d100 71 once again hosed up by warp whispers
Warp whispers corruption/WP damage: 1d5 4 dehumanise yourself and face to bloodshed

Aricia is in a tough spot, Bloodbeast is likely going to charge and that's a lot of pain. Waiting to see what Pan and Vault do first but charging it first looks vaguely plausible.


pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag	Int	Per	WP	Fel	Inf	Cor
33	35	28	36	46	40	37	34	51	21	19
Move: 4/8/12/24		Wounds: 13/13		Infamy Points: 2/2
Armour: 4 All/3 Head 	Toughness Bonus: 3
Dodge: 46		Parry: 43 (Power Sword)

Combat Things:
Radiant Presence		Everyone else within 20m gets +10 against Fear and Intimidation
Unshakeable Will		Reroll failed Fear Tests

Power Sword		Melee [1d10+5+2 E] [Pen 5] [Power Field, Balanced] (Right Hand)
Laspistol		Pistol 30m [S/2/] [1d10+2 E] [Pen 0] [Clip 30] [Reload Half] [Reliable] 30/30 Charge Pack, 3 Spare (Left Hand)
	Overcharge	Pistol 30m [S/2/] [1d10+3 E] [Pen 0] [Clip 40] [Reload Half] [Reliable, x2 Ammo Consumption]
	Overload	Pistol 30m [S/2/] [1d10+4 E] [Pen 2] [Clip 30] [Reload Half] [Unreliable, x4 Ammo Consumption]

Aricia
pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag	Int	Per	WP	Fel
31	31	21	25	26	13	20	22	13
Move: 2/4/6/12		Wounds: 4/4		Loyalty: 61
Armour: 8 All/9 Blast 	Toughness Bonus: 2
Dodge: 26		Parry: - (Unarmed)

Combat Things: 
Berserk Charge		+10 WS for Charges
Double Team		+10 WS for ganging up
Street Fighting		Add WS Bonus to Critical Hits with unarmed and knives
Takedown
Toxic (1)		Enemies that damage in melee make -10 Toughness Test or take 1d10 damage ignoring armour and toughness

Natural Weapons		Melee [1d10+2 I] [Primitive (7)]
Long-Las		Basic 150m [S//] [1d10+3 E] [Pen 1] [Clip 40] [Reload Full] [Accurate, Reliable, Felling (4)] 38/40 Charge Pack, 3 Spare
	Overcharge	Basic 150m [S//] [1d10+4 E] [Pen 1] [Clip 40] [Reload Full] [Accurate, Reliable, Felling (4) x2 Ammo Consumption]
	Overload	Basic 150m [S//] [1d10+5 E] [Pen 3] [Clip 40] [Reload Full] [Accurate, Unreliable, Felling (4) x4 Ammo Consumption]

Skellybones fucked around with this message at Nov 21, 2016 around 16:53

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Cully rips into the immolated beast, causing a roar that sounds more like pain than pleasure to erupt from it. Meanwhile Yeseul makes a more calculated strike than her enraged comrade next to her, which causes some actual injury this time. The beast smiles at Cully, at least from some of its mouths, and flails its one large, almost obscene tentacle at the Cadian. However the Cadian demonstrates that he does have some sword skills other than rip and tear, and deftly knocks the appendage to the side with his chainsword.

Pan remains on the ground while Rodan attempts to harness the Immaterium against it's denizens. The Warp fights back however, and assaults both his mind and his body. Vault's IFF programming directs him to intercept the Blood Beast, which it does, though being nothing more than a glorified suitcase, it cannot hit the warp spawn.

The wall between the Immaterium and the physical realm was already weak in this spot. The presence of the Spawn and residual psychic scarring from all the previous spawn that fought in this location eroded at the veil. Then the repeated pulling of the warp from Rodan and Tess had acted like the blow of thunder hammers against a leaking dam, until Tess finally fractured it and the leak became a flood. Daemonic voices flood the area around, demanding their souls. However comingled in those voices is one that Tess and those who hear recognize: Xanaroch. "We are coming pets, don't die until I get there, I wish to taste of your souls before your new Gods devour them.!"

Despite the grim display, the extra power from the Warp channels into the assault from Tess, and a barrage of pure warp energy hits the Spawn, one hit after another. A sickening sound is heard as the warp energy cooks off eyes that the more mundane fire was not harming.

Arica cowers, expecting the Blood beast to ignore Vault, but it doesn't. It clumsily swipes at the servitor, but the Machine God is protecting Vault, as no attack lands.

Just then, the familiar sound of a Jump Pack is heard, and everyone, including the two spawn, look up to the sky to see Inquisitor Whitehall soaring into the air, carrying Xanaroch. She drops the Daemonhost as she glides over the spawn, and lands on the other side. She quickly draws her Evicerator Chainsword and points one gauntlet at the beast. "I have lost enough to creatures of the warp, I loose no more!"



Pink Star: pain leech
Red star: blood beast
Black Star: xanaroch
White Circle: Whitehall


Red Circle: Cully
Pink Circle: Yeseul
Orange circle: Pan
Blue Circle: Tess
Yellow Circle: Rodan

Orange Triangle: Vault
Pink Triangle: Airica

Ini:

Cully: In melee with pain leech (ganging up) <--- we are here
Yeseul: In melee with pain leech (ganging up)
Painleech: 2/35 (AOA, no reaction this turn, Flame quality to attacks)
Pan: (-10 all tests. Prone)
Rodan: (-10 all tests, Disorder test after battle)
Vault: In melee with blood beast
Tess:
Aricia:
bloodbeast:32/35 in melee w/ vault, xanaroch, Whitehall. AOA no reaction)
Xanaroch
Inquisitor Whitehall

Notes:
Rodan can use his half action this turn and be able to act next or whatever. Also don't cry around about the pyromancy just yet. It has plenty of uses. I will let you acquire the pyromancy powers from Dark Heresy 2, including Molten Beam. Which does 1d10+5+ 3x(PR) damage, with a pen of 2xPR, AND melta.

Still wouldn't help here that much, but not every enemy is going to be a heavily toughnessed up son of a bitch like these guys. Though we can discuss it after this battle.

Also your former boss and her/it's boss is here to join in.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross
"BLEED FREAK! TO THE WARP WITH YOU!"

Swift Attack TN 94: 1d100 55 base 1 Dos + 4 additional DoS=3 hits total
Chainsword Damage: 3#3d10k1+6 13 14 16
7 damage plus a ZEALOUS HATRED on the last hit
Zealous Hatred: 1d5 5
Crit results from 2nd hit on: Rending Body Crit 1 (1 level of fatigue), Rending Arm Crit 5 (Blood Loss, arm useless)
Zealous Hatred would be the same result so Cully ruins two of the painleeches many arms


pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS  S   T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
54  44  30  30  41  31  40  40  40

Wounds: 13/13   Infamy: 2/2  Initiative: 1d10+6
Half Move: 4 Full Move: 8 Charge: 12 Run: 24
SB: 3  TB: 3
Armour: 6 (All)
Awareness: 40
Dodge: 51
Parry: 54[74] (Chainsword)

Weapons: (Currently selected weapons are in BOLD)
Bolter 100m S/3/- 1d10+5 X Pen: 4 Clip: 24/24 Rld: Half Special: Reliable, Tearing
Bolt Pistol 30m S/2/- 1d10+5 X Pen: 4 Clip: 8/8 Rld: Half Special: Tearing
B.C. Chainsword 1d10+6 R Pen: 2 Special: Balanced, Tearing, +10 WS bonus
Stun Grenade 9m S/-/- Special: Blast (3), Concussive (2)

Noteworthy Bionics
Black Blood: Cully is always considered lightly wounded and also heals much faster, removing two points of Damage per day.

Noteworthy Gear
G.C. Helmet Augmentations: Provides the benefits of preysense goggles, photo-visors, rebreathers, vox-casters, and micro-beads.

Noteworthy Talents
Brutal Charge: Gains a +30 on a charge instead of the normal +20.
Disarm: May use a full action to Disarm his foe by making a opposed WS test. Success causes the enemy to drop his weapon. 
3 or more DoS allows the character to take the enemy's weapon from him.
Hip Shooting: Cully may Full Move and make a standard attack with a ranged weapon
Flesh Render: Cully rolls 2 additional dice instead of 1 when using melee weapons with the Tearing quality, discarding the two lowest results.
Jaded: Natural Horrors no longer affect Cully. Terrors of the Warp still affect Cully normally.
Lightning Reflexes: When making an Initiative Roll the character may roll twice and add the highest of the two dice result to his Agility Bonus.
Marksman: Cully suffers no penalty for BS tests at long or extended range.

Special Ability
Adroit (WS): The Renegade is a skilful and talented individual who substitutes raw power for honed ability. The Renegade must select 
one Characteristic at Character Creation. Throughout the game, he adds one additional Degree of Success to successful Tests involving that 
Characteristic (this includes Skill and Characteristic Tests).

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rodan 008

Breaking free of his darker half's grasp with a burst of adrenaline, Rodan slips his telekinetic blade between himself and the phantom and swipes outward. Cut in half, it unravels, its dying words barely a whisper: "Soon, Rodan, your pain will all be over..."

He whirls back to face the Blood Beast and snarls in disgust. Where had the Inquisitor even gone all this time? Was there even a point in going after that spawn? Surely an Inquisitor and a daemonhost were more than a match for it. Still dizzy, Rodan starts to pick up speed towards the spawn, fully expecting it to be dead by the time he got there.

Half-Action move at the Blood Beast.

pre:
Wounds: 12/12      AP: 4 All
IP: 1/2          TB: 3 (5 Legs)
Movement: 4/8/12/24
Dodge/Precog Dodge: 40/(41/46/66) (Fettered/Unfettered/Max Push)

WS   BS  S   T    Ag   Int  Per  WP   Fel  
46   32  40  36   40   30   41   42    30

Skills: Awareness, Dodge, Intimidate, Psyniscience, Stealth

Talents: Ambidextrous, Child of the Warp, Jaded, PR 3, Sprint

(Relevant) Psychic Powers:
PR 3, Bound (Always push at +4, it's a +10 Phenomena roll no matter what)

Maintaining: Telekinetic Weapon (PR 7)

Fire Bolt (+10 WP, Free Action, 15m per PR, 1d10+PR E Bolt, 5+ DoS on a hit lights target on fire.)
Manifest Flame
Mind Over Matter
Precision Telekinesis (+0 WP, Half Action/Half Action, 5m per PR)
Precognitive Dodge (-10 Per, Reaction)
Telekinetic Weapon (-10 WP, Half Action/Free Action)
Warp Vortex (+0 WP, Half Action/Half Action, 25m per PR, ToF pg. 47 or click here)

Weapons      	 	Rng		RoF		Dam		Pen		Clip	Rld		Qualities
Flamer                  20m             ---             1d10+4E         2               5/6     2 Full          Flame, Spray
Neural Whip             03m		---		1d10+5R         0               ---     ---             Flexible, Shocking
Telekinetic Weapon	---		---		1d10+11R	7		---	---		Special*

*Manifested via the power of the same name; 1d10+PR+SB R damage, PR Pen, cannot be destroyed by power fields.
**Listed damage includes SB, all bonuses, etc.

Wargear/Abilities:

Psy-Focus

BC Bionic Legs: +2 TB on leg hits, Sprint,  +20 Acrobatics to leap/jump.
Black Blood: Always lightly wounded, heals 2 wounds per day.

Quick and the Dead: +2 Initiative
Haunted: +10 to enemy Intimidate
Intelligent Cyst: +2 DoF on failed Interactions

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

waiting on a bonelorde post to at least do through painleech, though jolinaxas and firesight are appreciated so I can do a full round.

If this drags much longer I might just have to hand wave the rest of the fight , though I would rather keep going until one of them is dead at least.

This was intended to be the first "boss battle " so far.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Tess Brandt

Tess' head was swimming as auto-injectors detected the surge of power and administered more psy-active sedatives. No Warp. Not now. She'd always had the suspicion that Banca's passenger had been responsible for her powers' brutal awakening, but it was definitely her voice among the demonic throng. Drawing upon enough power to penetrate the creatures' hides was too dangerous here.

Well, if nothing else, she could distract the creature for Cully...


Sorry, was waiting until after the painbeast, in case my barrage "drew aggro".
Running 18m towards the painbeast, if I can't hurt it at least I can provide some Ganging Up benefits to those who can.
Still at 39/51 wp.

pre:
     WS   BS   S    T    Ag   Int  Per  WP   Fel   Inf
     37   36   35   51   30   30   40   51    40   21, 2/2 IP

Wounds: 10/10         Armour: Flak Cloak (0 Head, 3 Everywhere Else)
Dodge: 30, Parry 32 (Precog Dodge is 55 Fettered)  Corruption: 9

CC Stub Revolver  30m  S/-/   1d10+3I    Pen.0  6/6    2 Reload | Reliable
GC Sword         Melee         1d10+3R   Pen.0         Balanced, +5WS 

Relevant Traits/Talents
Jaded - No Fear tests for non-warp/demon-y poo poo.
The Quick and the Dead - +2 Initiative
Psy Rating 3, Unbound

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

Yeseul stabs away angrily at the disgusting monster, glad that Cully is there to take most of its attention.

Aricia Full Moves to the east, away from the Bloody-Beast.

[i]
Stab the painleech: 1d100 73 vs 83 (33 WS+10 Standard Attack +10 Aim +10 Ganging Up +20 Enormous) a mere 2 DoS
Hurt the painleech: 1d10 6 = 13 damage, 5 Pen

pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag	Int	Per	WP	Fel	Inf	Cor
33	35	28	36	46	40	37	34	51	21	19
Move: 4/8/12/24		Wounds: 13/13		Infamy Points: 2/2
Armour: 4 All/3 Head 	Toughness Bonus: 3
Dodge: 46		Parry: 43 (Power Sword)

Combat Things:
Radiant Presence		Everyone else within 20m gets +10 against Fear and Intimidation
Unshakeable Will		Reroll failed Fear Tests

Power Sword		Melee [1d10+5+2 E] [Pen 5] [Power Field, Balanced] (Right Hand)
Laspistol		Pistol 30m [S/2/–] [1d10+2 E] [Pen 0] [Clip 30] [Reload Half] [Reliable] 30/30 Charge Pack, 3 Spare (Left Hand)
	Overcharge	Pistol 30m [S/2/–] [1d10+3 E] [Pen 0] [Clip 40] [Reload Half] [Reliable, x2 Ammo Consumption]
	Overload	Pistol 30m [S/2/–] [1d10+4 E] [Pen 2] [Clip 30] [Reload Half] [Unreliable, x4 Ammo Consumption]

Aricia
pre:
WS	BS	S	T	Ag	Int	Per	WP	Fel
31	31	21	25	26	13	20	22	13
Move: 2/4/6/12		Wounds: 4/4		Loyalty: 61
Armour: 8 All/9 Blast 	Toughness Bonus: 2
Dodge: 26		Parry: - (Unarmed)

Combat Things: 
Berserk Charge		+10 WS for Charges
Double Team		+10 WS for ganging up
Street Fighting		Add WS Bonus to Critical Hits with unarmed and knives
Takedown
Toxic (1)		Enemies that damage in melee make -10 Toughness Test or take 1d10 damage ignoring armour and toughness

Natural Weapons		Melee [1d10+2 I] [Primitive (7)]
Long-Las		Basic 150m [S/–/–] [1d10+3 E] [Pen 1] [Clip 40] [Reload Full] [Accurate, Reliable, Felling (4)] 38/40 Charge Pack, 3 Spare
	Overcharge	Basic 150m [S/–/–] [1d10+4 E] [Pen 1] [Clip 40] [Reload Full] [Accurate, Reliable, Felling (4) x2 Ammo Consumption]
	Overload	Basic 150m [S/–/–] [1d10+5 E] [Pen 3] [Clip 40] [Reload Full] [Accurate, Unreliable, Felling (4) x4 Ammo Consumption]

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Pancracius Boselmann

Pancracius woke back up with a start, his heart already racing from the adrenalin that had been dumped into his veins. What was going on?! Where was he? He wasn't on his bed, he was in his clothing and...

Memory returned suddenly, causing the adept to suddenly roll onto his belly and bring his gun to bear in front of him. Combat raged around him, while Vault stood and twitched at his side. Whitehall and Xanaroch... no, she was Banca, not Xanaroch he reminded himself, were fighting the abomination just in front of him. They had saved him, again.

The rifle in his hand belched a shot at the creature before Pancracius could even stop to think about it, his trembling finger pulling the trigger out of sheer reflex, sending a bullet flying over the combatants head.


BS 40 + 10 single shot - 10 panic = target of 40
Shoot the bloodleech vs 40: 1d100 91

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

With the addition of Whitehall and Xanaroch, the battle turns rather quickly. Cully and Yeseul quickly finish the painleech off. The psychic barrage from Tess had left it in a rather sorry state, and the two swordsmen, one brutal and one graceful, quickly dice the horrendous mass of flesh and chaos into quite a few pieces.

With one out of the way, the Blood Beast really didn't stand much more of a chance. With an entire elite acolyte cell, Inquisitor, and daemonhost all raining fury down upon it, the Bloodbeast lives up to its name, and falls into wet chunks all over he floor, with more blood than physically possible drenching everyone around upon its death.

Yeah, the Painleech was pretty much dead, and I wasn't going to drag out another how many rounds just to fight the bloodbeast; especially since neither one managed to land a hit on any of you up to this point.

With the creatures dead, the local primitives are rather awestruck by not only your display, but also by the presence of Xanaroch. No longer in a mood to play around, Whitehall stomps around the camp trying to find the control panel for the lift. It takes some searching, but she finds it in the old pump control room, which is now the audience chamber of their leader. She has Pan explain to the chieftain how to use it, and gathers everyone up onto the lift. Once everyone is aboard the chieftain pushes the button, and the lift begins its long, slow ascent to the top hive proper.

Once the lift makes its way to the top, the acolytes find themselves in a large room that likely was some sort of warehouse in the past. Now it is some macabre holding area. The space is full of various different sizes of cages, all of them with dried blood and rust on them. It seems that someone has been taking chaos spawn and other beasts and using the primitives below as a dumping ground for ages.

Once outside of the warehouse, the group is met with quite a sight. The hive has been slowly reclaimed by the jungle. The tiered pyramid before them looks like a description of the ancient garden of Babylon run wild. Large vines as long as a warhound titan in tall hang from the side of decaying buildings. Trees the size of baneblades shoot up through the rockcrete, like the fingers of some heretical nature deity trying to punch its way through the structures of man. Rodan and Tess once again open their minds to the warp, and find the same intense foreboding and despair coming off of one of the taller intact buildings in the upper hive.

The group start on their trek. Given the size of the Spire and the fact that most of the thoroughfares are overgrown with vegetation, the going is slow at first. Whitehall and Cully take the lead, each one carving apart the overgrowth with their chain weapons. They work together as a good team, even though they do their work in silence as the total hate the Guardsman has for his Inquisitor hangs just as thickly in the air as the various jungle gnats.

Yeseul and Tess take up the middle along with the underlings Airica and Vault while Pan, Rodan, and Xanaroch take rearguard. As they make their way, Xanaroch turns to the two stragglers (FOR PAN AND RODAN ONLY) "You two are the most reasonable of this group, at least as it comes to me. Pan, you have been more dedicated than any other than Whitehall in freeing your Interrogator, having delved into knowledge better left forgotten. And dear sweet Rodan, well, we both know that even if this errand were to succeed, you are just as damned as I." The creature smiles and gently pokes Rodan, and he hears the whispers from his chaotic cyst wax for a moment before Xanaroch continues.

"We are in danger. I do not know what we are walking into, but it is not what we expect. Whitehall said that we are heading to the lair of an Inquisitor who captures my kind in daemonhosts and daemon weapons, correct? If that were the case, I would be able to hear their voices, calling out for release. Instead I only sense a great well of Chaotic energy. I hear no voices. Whatever we are walking into is not what your Inquisitor expects. We need to leave, but you both know that she will not let us. We she will lead this group to our doom. Yeseul, Tess, and Cully could be made to see reason, but not if it comes from my mouth. especially Cully. You must be my agent. Convince the others that this errand is suicide. Then we will have to turn on Whitehall united. She will slaughter all of us if we are not united."

The beast falls to silence, and falls even further back behind them as rearguard. Was their a grain of truth to the daemon's words, or is it just trying to deceive them?


As night approaches the group finds itself about a third of the way up the hive. As they have ascended during the day the vegetation has gotten thinner, it is the hope of Whitehall that they can make up time tomorrow, but decides to rest for the night. The group take shelter in a small Imperial shrine designed for the workers of the lower hive to congregate in. Dry and brittle bones are found scattered about, and are quickly moved away some some of the pews can be turned into places to sleep.

Okay, I am going to give everyone here a bit of a chance to just, you know, talk and interact now that the fight is over. I'll try to update next Wednesday or Thursday before Christmas moving on, assuming there isn't any developments here as it relates to your goals.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rodan 008

[Do it. Please. My survival is contingent on yours, I have no reason to mislead you! We can work together here. I can leave the killing and controlling your body to you, but I'm the only one here who can form complete sentences. Just let me be the one to talk to them, okay? Give it a trial run. If you ever think I'm trying to take you over, jam a blade through your own head if it'll make you happy. That phantom attacking you earlier wasn't me, you have to believe me!]

And instead of crushing the voice back into his subconscious mind, Rodan takes a few deep breaths... and lets it in. He was, for the first time he could remember, tired of fighting. He measured himself by combat efficiency, and he wasn't winning this fight. Constant struggle with this thing in his head was destroying him piece-by-piece. It had all been so simple before the damned Inquisitor requisitioned his services. Before then, he'd received the mission and performed it. Simple, fast, bloody. But now there was the drat voice, and even worse, the visions and the dreams and the feelings and memories, welling up in his head, always threatening to drown him. He was cursed by self-awareness. So many of his abilities were no longer instinctual, and the parts that were, he never remembered learning. He felt clumsy and amnesic. The gnawing, empty hole where his past had been terrified him. He'd lost something he didn't remember ever having. And if the urge to blindly obey the Inquisitor wasn't him, what else wasn't him? Was there any part of him left? Was the voice the real Rodan, or whoever he had been, and himself nothing but a shard of killing instinct? Xanaroch knew. It had to. Maybe it could pry the voice out of his head, or put him back together. Anything to make it all stop.

Rodan lurks impatiently until Whitehall moves away from the group, then joins Cully, checking to make sure no one else is in earshot. He pries off his helmet and stares, glassy-eyed, at the guardsman. The aquila brands on his face throb and burn angrily. In one hand, he lifts the small book he kept chained at his side as a psy-focus. Charred, crumbling at the corners into flakes of ash. The Imperial Guardsman's Uplifting Primer. He lets the voice speak through him, and words spill out of his mouth in a hoarse whisper, slurred, slow, but comprehensible.

"We were once the same, Cully. They told me that only in death does duty end, but I didn't even get that much mercy. You know I'm not a talker, but I can't let this go on unchallenged anymore. You're right about her. She's already damned. And this is a fool's errand. There's a strong psychic signature up there, but it doesn't feel like more daemonhosts. We'll find nothing but death, corruption, and madness. And if we live, the Inquisitor will just keep throwing us on fool's errands again and again until we don't live. She has the tunnel vision of a traitor who thinks she's a saint. I died once for the Imperium, and I'll die for it again if I have to. But I won't die for a traitor, only against one. Will you stand with me against Whitehall, if... no, when she won't turn back from this path? This is a chance for redemption, for both of us."

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at Dec 18, 2016 around 02:56

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross
"I'll stand with you Roden. Of course."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Tess Brandt

Tess slumped into one of the semi-intact pews, clutching her head. Active psyniscience of such strange and harmful energies was especially painful after the ordeal with the spawn, and she didn't trust Rodan to keep it up. He seemed... restless.

"Well, on the bright side, something hurts worse than my back, for once."

A quick rustle through her things revealed nothing as helpful as...say, drugs. She paged through her data-slate until she found a helpful verse that had always been helpful for meditation.

"Fear the Warp, for the predations of the daemon are many. Love not the Warp, for it serves not your will..."

39/51 wp.
Hate to get all exact-timey, but characteristic damage heals at 1/hour, so let me know how long that all took, unless we're going to rest uninterrupted, in which case it'll all fall off anyway.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

still giving folks a chance to fluff post, especially firesight. Will be able to update next Wednesday due to holidays.

Also Dachshundofdoom you owe me a roll for a mental disorder. Give me the WP and if you fail I'll roll the actual disorder.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Pancracius Boselmann

Pan begins to trail behind the group as his mind tries to wrap around Xanarochs words. He couldn't trust them, he knew that the Daemon mixed lies with truth in order to find the most damning ways to say things... but sometimes the truth was more damning than any lie.

Whitehall is desperate. He is taking risks on unsubstantiated rumor now, risks that put him at odds with one of his own colleagues. The chaos spawn being released below shows that something is wrong here, any Inquisitor should be destroying such beasts, not releasing them... Yet Whitehall didn't question it. Is she too obsessed? Does he believe that what he thinks must be true because he hopes it is, rather than because he has proof? Why would an Inquisitor who binds daemons for eternity know how to release a daemon anyways? Such knowledge would go completely against their goal... None of this adds up. If Whitehall is desperate, she truly could be taking insane risks because she has run out of logical paths inside the Imperium... or simply feels she is running out of time. Can I risk Banca's soul on chance and hope, instead of on steady research? What happens if we succeed here, but don't find what we need? What would Whitehall do next?

Pan's hands were trembling as the true impact of the situation came to him. Whitehalls judgement was clouded by her need to free her Interrogator, clouded by the guilt she felt over Banca's damnation. They needed to stop, take time to examine the situation and the facts. Proceeding in blindly was foolhardy at best.

With a decision made, Pan's steps pick up momentarily, moving himself ahead of Xanaroch and up alongside Yeseul and Tess long enough to whisper a comment to the two ladies.

"Whitehall isn't thinking logically, I think she's desperate to find a solution now, and pinning her hopes on an unsubstantiated rumor. None of this situation makes sense. I'm worried she will push ahead no matter what we find. We need to stop and reassess her information before we walk into something we aren't expecting, or worse, something that Whitehall knows about but isn't telling us."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Tess Brandt

"Approach the Warp with a closed mind, for an open mind is as a ci-"

quote:

Spoilered Pancracius Quote

Tess sat up as Pan explained his argument.

"If there was a simple, easy solution, we'd have done it already. Rumors are what we've got. I mean, if you think she'd holding out on something..."

She looked around for Whitehall.

"...I don't know. She's got her head on her shoulders, right? Managed to keep us on track so far, anyway. As much as she could."

39/51 wp.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe

Yeseul

Tears form her eyes as she stares at the form of the painleech, every facet of it glowing with unholy light. It was a whorl in the Warp, a lump of materium infused with the immaterium. Once a person, but filled with corruption until they collapsed into a pseudo-creature obsessed with sensation-seeking. Yeseul feels unease, bothered by how little it bothered her. What sane person could face down a monster like this without flinching?

The remains of the spawn are dragged away. They would be devoured by the tribe, sustaining them while further twisting them. That's life. Surviving in the short term at the expense of the future. Aricia ambles up, flicking some steaming blood off her outfit. That bloodbeast sure did contain a lot of blood.

When Pan whispers to her on the trail, she nods incrementally.

That night, Yeseul methodically jabs at her arms with her Nerve Induction Tines, following a theraputic pattern from an obscure convent reputed to relieve stress and pain. Of course you really weren't supposed to be able to use the tines on yourself, it could become addictive for the right (or wrong) personality. Not to mention the pheromone generator being used to induce euphoria. But sometimes you really just needed to tell your brain to be happy, so Jenny had gleefully jailbroken the cybernetics. Definitely not covered by Ad Mech warrantee now, but the ability to bliss out to an extent was well worth it sometimes.

Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the cogitator of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

After centering herself a little, Yeseul approaches Pan and Tess behind a pew. Nothing furtive going on here. Aricia squats nearby eating an energy bar.

"Really, you have concerns? At best, we are disrupting the operation of another Inquisitor and risking the escape of their captive fiends. At worst, oh, something unimaginably terrible is in the works and we're going to be party to it. Personally I would rather be anywhere but here, but a quick death continues to elude me and I've been too principled to slip away on an outsystem voidship. I would love to rescue Banca, if she still exists, but the fact remains that we have been manipulated by that daemon for as long as it has been with us. I want to believe that Whitehall is in control of the situation, but my trust can only stretch so far. So if you can come up with a better plan than 'stumble blindly into further disaster', by all means let me know."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Pancracius Boselmann

"There are reasons, good reasons, why Inquisitors are not supposed to interfere with the works of other Inquisitors. Sometimes they must break the rules in order to protect the Imperium, and to interfere without full knowledge could cause greater catastrophe than letting the Inquisitor proceed. She has chosen to break rules in order to save Banca, but I fear she is breaking the wrong rules."

Pancracius slumps down against one of the pews and begins to stare towards the ruined icons of faith, an odd feeling of familiarity and similarity encompassing him for a long lonely moment. Trembling fingers begin to silently tap against the pew, rapping out the beat of an unheard song of prayer as his trembling voice whispers out to the others.

"There are places we could go, places we could find knowledge... beyond the edges of the Imperium. Repositories of knowledge, colonies of sorcerers and daemon-binders. Until now, Whitehall has held tight to her oaths, both to us, the Inquisition, and the Emperor himself. Maybe, to save Whitehall and Banca both, it is time we had her release us from our oaths to her, so we could take the search where she cannot?"

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Dec 24, 2016 around 19:07

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Tess Brandt

"You want to strike out on our own?"

The scum ran a nervous hand through her hair, staring despondently at the small clump that came free.

"She'd have to keep a low profile, without us to keep up the cover story. You know, like that Nurgle cult earlier. Can an Inquisitor even lie low like that? One that keeps busting up these things like mad? Lotta expectations, our guest has set up for us... but if we can get out from under this? I dunno, maybe. You know anywhere in particular?"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe

Yeseul

"Pan, those hidden worlds of daemon-binders are the same breed of filth who bound the daemon inside Banca. What would an insane chaos lord demand in return for their aid? Even if it worked, what would become of us? What has become of us? Why are we seriously considering this?"

"Though the idea of getting away from the Imperium for a while does have some appeal. Perhaps a Rogue Trader headed for the Koronus would take us on. There must be a few unscrupulous enough to keep a wyrd..."

"More immediately... what are we walking into? A daemon-imprisoning Inquisitor isn't all that's before us. Though daemonhosts can often mutate terribly, they don't tend to turn into spawn. A daemon prison shouldn't be regularly exporting twisted specimens like what we've seen, so if it's an Inquisitorial holding, they're conducting experiments that go far beyond 'merely' radical. drat it, I hope she's keeping us in the dark with a master plan because otherwise this is going to be a disaster. But she's so drat aloof she won't tell us a thing, like we're fresh acolytes scraped off the street."

Yeseul begins talking to herself more than the others.

"What is that drat daemon doing to us? If it doesn't betray us sooner or later, Cully will go berserk and I might just join him. I just wanted to study genealogy, not work with a daemon. I hate this. Hate it. Nothing but lies and death. Why chaos spawn, who were they? So many colours, colours behind colours, Jenny would have loved it. Its soul was like a pyre, so sick but so vibrant. Beautiful in death."

"What do you make of the hive spire, Tess? Can you feel anything like psyker wards yet?"

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Tess Brandt

"Well, we never were to be hers. Remember? Not to say that excuses her behavior, but it does explain it."

Sighing, she opened her mind to the warp to determine the answer to Yeseul's question.

"I'd think I'd be able to notice that. You know, like how you can tell a stummer's activated even though you can't hear anything? Because you can't hear anything."

OOC: Let me know if I need to make a Psyniscience check, or if such a thing would be apparent.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rodan 008

Rodan shuffles over to the others, re-securing his helmet after his little chat with Cully. In a way, this was... liberating. Every fiber of his being wanted to hate giving in like this, but it felt like an enormous weight had lifted from his mind now that he'd stopped fighting the voice. He takes a seat on a pew and lets It speak again, staring motionlessly at the floor between his feet.

"Daemons are simple in their own way. You know where you lie. You know they care only for themselves, and you know they will do whatever benefits them. People are not so different in the long run. I do not trust Whitehall anymore. I think she would gladly sacrifice us all if she thought it might cleanse Xanaroch. It is... the nature of justification. Admitting your purpose is wrong is admitting that every sin you committed was unnecessary. She will not turn back, because it would drive her insane to try. And the sinning will get easier and easier. If she does not kill us now, she will kill us eventually. One way or the other."

He looks up, his voice becoming less hoarse, more confident as the voice within becomes used to flesh.

"And how much longer do you think she--or we--will last in Xanaroch's presence? It bleeds corruption, even sealed as it is. When will our flesh begin to match our spirits? What will Whitehall do when she twists, and is no longer welcome in Imperial space? And how do we know she hasn't already? We have to stop this. Here and now. Cully is not wrong. This can be... redemption."

Behind the mask, his mouth grins on his own. But that's okay. Now he only had to think about killing. It was so much simpler this way.

e: It wouldn't be out of the question for someone to notice Rodan has been getting notably more chatty and less openly psychotic recently, if they wanted to.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at Dec 29, 2016 around 08:21

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Now that they finally had a moment to rest, Tess settles in and focuses her mind on the location that had spent the better part of a day fighting towards. The previous times she scryed it, they were either high above in a fast moving vessel, or after having battled chaos spawn. Ready for the onslaught of horrific images that assaulted her the first time, she delves into the warp and focuses her third sight towards it.

She is immediately greeted by the horrible images of suffering and death, but steeled for it, she pushes it to the side (well as much as you can) and then focuses on the source. What she finds does not startle her, it is what she does not find that does. Having spent enough time around Xanaroch, she knows what the warp signature of a daemonhost is. You can sense their infernal will radiating from their body, a constant stream of half-heard whispers that you could almost get lost in.

Here, she hears nothing. She sees the images, and she senses a concentration of Chaos energy, but a location that supposedly is home to an unknown number of trapped daemonhosts and daemon weapons should sound like a grand assembly of warp-touched voices. She doesn't know exactly what to make of it. The closest she can come to pinpointing a prior source like this is the sensation she gets for that split second on a ship when the rift to the Immaterium is opened and right before the Gellar Field comes to life. It could be an actual Chaos rift, or perhaps some artefact full of chaos energy but not inhabited by a daemon.

As Rodan finishes his speech, the sound of a clearing throat can be heard from the far end of the church. Behind the Altar stands Whitehall having come back from the rectory where she had spent her time performing the binding rituals that would keep the daemonhost confined to that room while everyone slept. Whitehall has her Evicerator drawn and in her hand, though it is not in a hostile stance, she is leaning on it like a wise sage overburdened with time and knowledge leaning on a staff.

"I expected it would be Cully as the muscle, and maybe Yeseul as the brains, but I never expected anything like this from you Rodan. The Mechanicus are usually known for the skill in programmed obedience. Thor's blood, I've never heard you this coherent before." Whitehall then does two things. First she reaches into a pouch on her armor and pulls out her shuttle keys and throws them in the middle of the shrine. Secondly, she puts her hand to her Rosarius and the air around her shimmers as her power field activates.

"I am not surprised at this, and I do not blame any of you. We had lost so much, and I think the loss of Jenny was the last nail in the coffin for many of you. I thought you all strong of conviction, but I see in the end, you all finally falter. Perhaps I am to blame in some of this. Perhaps I did not pick acolytes with the strength to see this through. Maybe I picked acolytes that were already close to walking the Traitor's path and having you near a creature such as Xanaroch was too much temptation. I guess we will never know as it relates to that."

She takes one step closer to the altar and runs her free hand over its surface, clearing away centuries of dust that surround her like a dull mist in the still, dead air. "I thought my pleas to your loyalty after Cully's outburst before we left would have quieted your traitorous rumblings, but I was wrong. Despite what the simple mind of Mr. Cully thinks, you are not bound to me. Those of you who feel my errand is foolish, I release you! i release you from all service and duty owed to the Inquisition, but I cannot absolve you of your sin of betrayal; that you will have to make penance for on your own. There on the floor is the keys to the lander in the jungle at the base of the hive. If you wish to go, then you may leave. The facility above has to have some sort of transport out we can take once Banca is free. If your treachery is based on fear or self preservation you now have nothing to fear. However know that while you were in Gunmetal city and I did my investigations, I also put into place a contingency. I revoked all your Inquisitorial authority for this very situation. You will find your own marks of office as my throne agents are null and void. Any and all assets such as safe houses, bank accounts, and contacts you have by virtue of your service to me. If you leave, you are truly on your own."

She seems to be almost invigorated as she speaks, and she how hefts her sword onto her shoulders. "For those who think this a suicide mission, then let me have my suicide. If death is to greet me at the summit here, then let Banca and I meet that death there, not here. Take the keys and flee, and I shall never see any of you again. If, however, your soul is already lost and you feel your only course of option is to lust for my death at your own hands, know that I will not go quietly, and I will show none of you no mercy."

Okay, so decision time. You have a few options at your disposal, plus as usual, the typical whatever you come up with.

1. We have come this far: Back down from your plans and see this through. If the group elects this option, I'll essentially GM fiat/ignore any further attempts to take Whitehall or Banca/Xanaroch's lives' until you reach the peak.
2. Fly, you fools: You can take Whitehall up on her offer and grab the shuttle keys and leave. Of course you do not get to know what happens, and Whitehall will keep Xanaroch; so if you all wanted to have a daemonhost friend when you turn to full Saturday morning cartoon villain, you have to get your own.
3.This ends here: You can all opt to fight Whitehall and finish her off. You've all spent enough time with her that you pretty much know a lot about her fighting style and equipment. She is encased in Best-Quality Sororitas power armor with quite a few enhancements, including auto med injectors. On top of that her Symbol of office acts as a power field with a Protection rating of 50 and an overload on a 1. Her weapons are an Evicerator two handed chainsword with toxic drip dispensers, a best quality las carbine, and a wrist mounted twin linked bolt pistol, as well as a wrist mounted power blade. She tends to use the las carbine and bolt pistol to engage enemies until she gets into melee. At that point she deploys the power blade and uses that to parry, while then striking with the evicerator. Obviously she needs two hands for the evicerator, so she can never attack with both the sword and power blade in one turn. She is, however, a rather skilled duelist who can parry multiple times, and is a master of counter attacks. Your best bet would be to try and keep her at range, or engage her in melee from multiple sources.
4. There must be another way: maybe with some of the knowledge Tess just acquired, or something else, you can talk Whitehall out of this? If you are going to fall, falling with your Inquisitor would be a big boon. Maybe she can be convinced that the best source of information on how to unbind Banca isn't among some radical Inquisitor, but among the actual lost and the damned? If you opt for this, I will not have such a large decision based entirely on a Charm/Deceive dice roll, but a successful test will cause her to join you. A failure means that your actual typed words need to convince her. Any charm test will be at a -30 since she isn't trusting you folks. A deceive is a -20. And by deceive, I do not mean to to gain her trust for a surprise attack, I mean instead telling a like to get her to back down, like "Pan knows of another way to free Banca that will work" or some other lie.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution


Tess Brandt

Pre-Inquisitor Speech

Rodan's speech elicited a raised eyebrow; Tess already distrusted her fellow psyker, but he was certainly very talkative today, as though his silence had been necessary to stockpile the words he'd just spoken.

"All right, give me a sec. Maybe here, in some relative peace, I can sort out what's going on. If there are wards up, I'll know..."

Deep in concentration, her visible mood nonetheless turned to one of incredulity.

"Where are they? The captives, the stockpiled daemon weapons? There's something here, but it's more like what we travel through in a ship. Just a big pile of warp energy - maybe a rift or intrustion into reality. But no daemons, no hosts, no bindings..."

-------------------

Post-Inquisitor Speech

Tess turned around. She'd been the least agitating towards violence or even abandoning their mission, but Whitehall's words cut deep.

"We're the traitors? The ones who crossed the line? Of course! I know -I'm- having my life goals realized, being a candidate for rejuvenat treatments at thirty."

She held up her hands, exasperated.

"But you - you're just slumming. I knew dozens of people like you - noble kids who want a thrill without the effort.

'Stealing an autocarriage? That's above my station! But I will take a ride in this one that's already stolen. I've a party to get to.'
'Well, -I'm- not going to go buy Obscura. I'd ruin my new shoes in the market's mud. But if you've got some, I'd welcome a line.'


News flash, Inquisitor. You're pal-ing around with a daemonhost and have currently directed your acolytes to trespass on another Inquisitor's facility. If we're bent, you're broken. And Pan's got a point. Hoping that someone who isn't you crosses the line even harder and leaves you the means to free Banca lying around like a stubbed-out lho is getting bleaker by the day. Awful people did awful things to make Banca how she is now. If we're serious about reversing it, than we may have to be a little more proactive. If not... then we have to say goodbye. And in another convenient use of the Warp's power by someone who isn't you, I have to tell you..."


She explained the psychic nature of the area they were in, and how it conflicted with what they were told.

Voting for Social Option D

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Jan 2, 2017 around 19:34

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe

Yeseul

Yeseul stares hard at Rodan. He was being unusually chatty. And articulate.

And there goes Tess talking down to the Inquisitor like one hiver scum trying to intimidate another. Oh jeez. Before Cully can threaten to jam his chainsword someplace nice, Yeseul interposes herself and after a half a moment of hesitation, activates her custom pheromone glands. They're supposed to be used for disarming suspicious contacts, not manipulating her boss. But it's for a good cause, and nobody has to know, right? She prays (to the Emperor?) that it works and Whitehall doesn't notice.

"Not having the ability to see and feel the Warp, I must trust Tess on this. There is something besides a prison in the spire. The Chaos Spawn have been produced at a regular rate for who knows how long, and whoever is creating them is disposing of them by feeding them to underhive ferals. No Inquisitor in good grace, even a Radical, would be running an operation such as this. Whatever it is - a mad Inquisitor, a cult, a daemonic incursion, a malefic cogitator - it risks Banca as much as any of us. Maybe more. We shouldn't be marching a daemonhost into that, we should be calling in an orbital strike!"

"Please, I want Banca back, this has been a nightmare, but there are better ways of committing suicide than this. Fistfighting Orks, for example! Or, we can reassess the situation, investigate further and get this done properly without stumbling blindly into any traps. Perhaps Inquisitor Slone really does have the secrets of daemon binding, in which case let's pin him down and drag it out out of him, or maybe there are other avenues we haven't considered yet. We've come this far, despite... trust issues..." the threats and dissent are left unspoken, "But we shouldn't throw it all away on blind hope! We're supposed to be a team, Banca's team, your team, but you won't let us help you! So please, Whitehall, consider where you are and let us do our drat jobs for once!"

The shadows of spectres are lashing excitedly around the chapel, the emotional upheaval, threat of bloodshed and sorcerous power drawing them like sharks to blood.

Yeseul is sort of desperately hoping that everything can be like it was before, with the sense of belonging and job satisfaction of an acolyte cell that doesn't want to kill each other. Plus the threat of being cut off and being thrust into the unknown is terrifying.

Make good charm pheromone generator: 1d100 66 vs 58 WP (38 +20)
Spending an Infamy to reroll that perfume.
Make good charm pheromone generator reroll: 1d100 30 vs 58 WP (38 +20)
Talk good charm: 1d100 24 vs 31/41 Charm (51 -30 +10/20)

1/2 Infamy remaining

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rodan 008

"You should be shocked. When even the broken question you, you've fallen. That's okay. So have we. We've no wish to see you dead..."

Rodan leans forward slightly, his hand drifting unconsciously to his sword's hilt, feet braced against the floor. Ready to charge, if she makes him. He tilts his head upward, as though pretending to gaze up through the hive to their destination.

"But Inquisitor, I cannot lie. I think it's time to stop hesitating. Either kill the daemonhost and seek redemption with us, or look outside the Imperial structure for help, and stop pretending we have any moral high ground to stand on at this point. All I do is kill. Maybe my view of the world is too binary. But no one accomplishes anything with half-measures, unless they're trying to fail."

C'mon, listen to the corrupt heretek living inside your local assassin's head, it'll be fun!

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at Jan 3, 2017 around 18:48

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross

"I think you should consider their words before proceeding further." Cully says as he stands calmly at ease, boltgun in hand. Either this will be resolved via convincing her to cease straying or he would snap off a 3 round burst at her chest and hope the others swarm her.

pre:
Primary Combat Block:
WS  BS  S   T   Ag  Int Per WP  Fel  
54  44  30  30  41  31  40  40  40

Wounds: 13/13   Infamy: 2/2  Initiative: 1d10+6
Half Move: 4 Full Move: 8 Charge: 12 Run: 24
SB: 3  TB: 3
Armour: 6 (All)
Awareness: 40
Dodge: 51
Parry: 54[74] (Chainsword)

Weapons: (Currently selected weapons are in BOLD)
Bolter 100m S/3/- 1d10+5 X Pen: 4 Clip: 24/24 Rld: Half Special: Reliable, Tearing
Bolt Pistol 30m S/2/- 1d10+5 X Pen: 4 Clip: 8/8 Rld: Half Special: Tearing
B.C. Chainsword 1d10+6 R Pen: 2 Special: Balanced, Tearing, +10 WS bonus
Stun Grenade 9m S/-/- Special: Blast (3), Concussive (2)

Noteworthy Bionics
Black Blood: Cully is always considered lightly wounded and also heals much faster, removing two points of Damage per day.

Noteworthy Gear
G.C. Helmet Augmentations: Provides the benefits of preysense goggles, photo-visors, rebreathers, vox-casters, and micro-beads.

Noteworthy Talents
Brutal Charge: Gains a +30 on a charge instead of the normal +20.
Disarm: May use a full action to Disarm his foe by making a opposed WS test. Success causes the enemy to drop his weapon. 
3 or more DoS allows the character to take the enemy's weapon from him.
Hip Shooting: Cully may Full Move and make a standard attack with a ranged weapon
Flesh Render: Cully rolls 2 additional dice instead of 1 when using melee weapons with the Tearing quality, discarding the two lowest results.
Jaded: Natural Horrors no longer affect Cully. Terrors of the Warp still affect Cully normally.
Lightning Reflexes: When making an Initiative Roll the character may roll twice and add the highest of the two dice result to his Agility Bonus.
Marksman: Cully suffers no penalty for BS tests at long or extended range.

Special Ability
Adroit (WS): The Renegade is a skilful and talented individual who substitutes raw power for honed ability. The Renegade must select 
one Characteristic at Character Creation. Throughout the game, he adds one additional Degree of Success to successful Tests involving that 
Characteristic (this includes Skill and Characteristic Tests).

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Inquisitor Whitehall stands motionless while Tess, Yeseul, and Rodan try to talk some sense into her. Halfway through Yeseul's plea, Whitehall looks over her shoulder toward the room in which the daemonhost was currently bound, and sighs. She leans even more heavily on her sword, and the most keen eyed among you spot a single tear roll down her cheek. After a moment she straightens up, as though the weight of the world has literally been taken off of your shoulders.

"You're right, all of you are right. I've been going about this all on my own, assuming the lot of you were behind me. A great Inquisitor uses their acolytes not as just resources, not just assets, but actual allies; and in my drive to cure Banca, I have forgotten that. I lack the ability to read the Warp as you do Tess; if you say what awaits us up there is not what it appears, I will have faith in that. If whatever it is is not a prison for daemons as my sources have led me to believe, then Slone will not have the answers I seek. I had promised myself I would never become a Radical; that no threat posed by our enemies would be so great a risk to use their own artifice against them. To fight fire with fire would see humanity burn."

Whitehall steps out from behind the altar and sits on the edge of the raised platform. While she makes no move, her stance is that of an affectionate elder beckoning her grandchildren to gather around. "But here I am not defeating our enemy. The daemonhost there is not so powerful that all of us combined would not defeat it. I am not fighting our Enemy here, I'm doing something totally different, and perhaps another approach is required. I relent to your wisdom, as twisted as it may be. The only ones that will have the knowledge of how to defeat this particular binding ritual and expel the daemon are those types that typically put it into place. Let us rest this night. Tomorrow we shall trace our steps out, and from there try to find our way to one who could help us."

Well it happened. Bonelorde passed the test with like 3 DoS, Whitehall's opposed willpower was only one, so you successfully talked Whitehall into giving up her ways and try to turn to the Ruinous Powers.

Everyone gains five infamy for this undertaking, as nudging an Inquisitor towards Ruin is a rather exceptional feat. Everyone also gets three corruption out of it, except for Bonelorde, who gets 6 corruption for actually being the one to pass the test to talk Whitehall down.

Lastly, everyone gets 600 exp for completing this adventure. The next update is going to involve a rather large jump forward in time, I'm going to skip you actually tracking down a source of chaos knowledge and fast forward to you having found it.

Everyone may make three infamy based acquisition tests. Avoid anything that is outright chaotic, as you're still in imperial space, but that will change sooner than later; feel free to make your own rolls in orokos. If anyone gets a mutation/gift from that 3 (or 6) corruption let me know, and I will roll the results.

Once everyone posts their exp expenditures and acquisitions I will do the next update.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

<WorkSight> woo
<WorkSight> Werix: 3 corruption puts me at 10
<Werix> you aligned?
<WorkSight> Unaligned but leaning Tzeentch

First roll was 31, so shifting that up and down by infamy gets you 29-33 so darksoul, dimensional instability or emaciated.
Second roll was 07, so that is a range of 5-9 which means animal hybrid(avian) or bestial(reptile)

So pick one of the two rolls, then pick a mutation in the range. (pick 7, pick 7, pick 7, pick 7 ...)

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



I'm trading in the looted bolters to help with my acquisitions.
Infamy Acquisition: Conversion Field vs 26: 1d100 37 Nope but still have 2 bolters to trade in irregardless.
Infamy Acquisition:B.C. Chainsword vs 46: 1d100 7 Yes, 1 more bolter left for tradein
Infamy Acquisition:B.C. Bionic Legs vs 36: 1d100 15 Yes, no more bolters left for trade-in.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Part I: Precipice of the Abyss

Act III: How Far the Mighty Have Fallen.


Misery loved company, but damnation needed it.

John Connolly


-Nine Months Later: Footfall Station:

After Whitehall was persuaded to seek more non-traditional ways to deal with the Banca/Xanaroch situation, things moved at a rapid pace not seen in years by the acolytes. Whitehall called in every resource and contact she had to get even the most basic leads on Chaos cultists. The next seven months was a non-stop tour around the Calixis Sector. Free from the burden of acting rightly, Whitehall would order the capture and torture of those against whom even the smallest accusation of corruption was levied. None in the group could deny that scores of innocents died at their hands. Everyone was culpable.

In all that time, only two things of note happened, and both at the same time. Whitehall had chased down a lead on a Chaos cult that infested some upper spire nobles on a hive world, and the lead was correct. However, another Inquisitor was also interested, and it resulted in you and Whitehall killing the Inquisitor's Interrogator and the acolytes the Interrogator was leading. As regrettable an occurrence as that may have been, the corrupted nobles provided the best lead they had yet.

Under intense interrogation, the leader of this noble-led cult of Tzeentchian Conspirators revealed that none of them were really psykers; they had received what the leader referred to as "ritual stones" from a contact. These ritual stones were self contained rituals; all one had to do was shatter the stone, and the ritual would unfold. After more intense interrogation, the Leader revealed their source was a Rictus Valencia a Chaos Sorcerer of some power stationed out on Footfall Station in the Expanse.

And so the group fled Imperial Space for Footfall, arriving two months later. The group finds itself at the Weasel's Twine, a boarding house in one of the less stable of chained asteroids in Footfall. They had rented one large room at the Twine, which the group has set up as their sleeping quarters and briefing room. The room had a neolithic feel, as the whole thing was roughly carved out of stone, with only the floor polished smooth to allow one to be barefoot. The artificial gravity was less that ideal, and every fifteen or so minutes the polarity temporarily shifts, causing everything to rise up a couple of centimeters before suddenly slamming down.

Xanaroch was secured in one corner of the room, the now familiar temporary binding chains keeping the beast docile. Whitehall is at a table in the middle of the room. The last nine months had not been kind. Her skin has become pale and dark circles envelop her eyes. She has begun a rather nasty Lho habit, and has one in her hands nearly every hour of the day.

The smoke from the Lho dances almost hypnotically in shifting gravity as she addresses those gathered, "So any ideas on how we track down the Rictus Valencia? i imagine we can't just go around asking for him by name."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rodan 008

"We could. Ask for him by name, that is. Kick the hive, see what swarms out. Probably a bad idea... but it'd be simple."

Child of the Warp Flavor of the Day: 4, Aura of Taint, animals within 30 meters are spooked and agitated.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross
The actions the cell took under Whitehall's new direction were extreme even for Cully. He spent the majority of the 9 months in a amasec and lho driven stupor. He snatched who Whitehall asked to be snatched and delivered to her. Within the dark alleys of hab blocks, the settlements of frontier worlds, hell he even lit up a chapel on a shrine world to extract a heirophant. He did all he was asked to loyally. When whitehall unleashed him onto the Chaos Cult, he was taking Frenzon pretty heavily. The deaths of a fellow acolyte cell barely registered as he cut through them with twin chainswords. He lost his legs that fight but quickly had them replaced by bionics they looted from a mechanicus outpost.

Now that they were in the Koronus Expanse, Cully wasn't too sure what to do. He felt exiled from imperial society, more than usual. At least it's another chance to release the charge of malice he's built up over the voyage here. "Put out feelers and find what chaos cults are on this godforsaken station. Torture the poo poo out of them until they lead us to someone higher, and repeat. Call me when you need a cult eradicated but otherwise leave me the gently caress alone." Cully says with more than a touch of venom.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

One day somewhere along the Koronus Passage, Yeseul woke up feeling very strange, stranger than usual. There was nothing immediately amiss, no tentacles or claws or other telltale signs of you-poked-at-unspeakable-things-too-much. Had she simply developed a stronger sense of impending doom? Staring at a mirror gave no hints, everything was normal. Too normal. The minor scars from fights and surgery were gone, the telltale marks from cybernetic implants had disappeared, even extended nerve tines were invisible despite being physically felt. On top of that, a growing sense of certainty that in the eyes of others, Yeseul could not just be another person, they could be nobody.

Life... was strange.

"I could investigate on my own for a while. Footfall sees a huge variety of visitors, Rogue Traders, pirates, heretics, cold traders, even legitimate Imperial business. The only rule that everyone abides by is to not make waves and disturb the peace too much, so if we act brazenly it could bring the whole station down on us. Given some time I'm confident I can tease information about Valencia's contacts and power base. Alternatively, there are many powerful groups and individuals sharing Footfall, they might be willing to help if it means a problem goes away quietly. That of course assumes they don't see us as the problem to get rid of first. Or we could abandon the stealthy approach and just hire Valencia for a job. It might just work."


Main ideas -

- Investigate the lower end of Footfall to see who's talking to who, figure out Valencia's base and try for some solid intel and infiltration from there. Everyone talks and everyone worth something leaves a trace. A sorcerer isn't going to run an ritual-gem business solo out of a shack, he's going to have retainers and probably a little mansion.
- Reach out and ally with a prominent power in Footfall. There are slavers, zealots, crime lords, other Chaos lords, all who might want this particular guy gone. Out-of-towners such as ourselves offer a handy way to do it without getting their own hands too dirty. Get some pro-tier local assistance but it's playing with fire.
- Instead of trying to rob, capture or kill a crazy sorcerer, reach out and actually acquire their services. We've got resources, can offer favours, or maybe the privilege of working on such a masterful daemon binding will itself be enough to entice them. Pretty heretical though.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt

Tess' body continued the downward spiral it had begun when her psy-active cybernetics were installed. Despite an autosanguine treatment drained from a tortured tech-adept that was working double-time to keep her from falling apart, the unstable warp energy had begun to literally (and, in some cases visibly) begun to leak from her at any point it could get free - old wounds, her breath. While the enforced ignorance of the average Imperial citizen made her strange condition simply unsettling to them, to those with the right kind of eyes it was an obvious gift from the powers she was growing much closer towards.

If nothing else, it made the smoke from lhos pilfered from the other smokers in the group look a little more interesting. To Tess, long-term concerns had begun to lose their luster after the first time she'd held a warp-rotted piece of her own spinal column in her hands.

"Yeah, I can keep an eye out. One-use warpcraft and those that sell it can't be -that- careful. I don't think trying to find Valencia first will turn out well. Just doing what he's doing, he's probably pretty paranoid already. I think before anything else, we take a look around, and see if there's any dumbasses doing our work for us."

Yeseul's first option sounds the best.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Whitehall nods her head, "Do what you need to do. If you could locate the location of Rictus covertly that would be best, but we'll cut down half the station if need be. While Footfall is outside Imperial Space, it is still close enough to have a lot of loyalists that would be a trouble to us." Whitehall shakes her head and takes a long drag from her lho, "loyalists ... we are loyalists, you know what I mean. Those less flexible and dedicated to our cause."

As the group leaves the room in the Twine, they all pass by Xanaroch. During the last nine months the daemonhost had been put through the ringer. While the group had not learned any ways to undo the ultimate ritual binding the daemon to their interrogator, they did learn quite a bit about other binding rituals. Whitehall had gotten very adept at adding and removing bindings as it suited her. The Inquisitor seemed to have been taking out quite a bit of aggression on the daemonhost. Whitehall had become convinced that while Banca is in there, and can be saved, that every time "Banca" has talked to them, it was just the daemon manipulating them.

Xanaroch seemed to confirm that suspicion when Whitehall had bound it five times after the last time Banca begged for mercy and whipped it with scourges in its weakened state. Either Xanaroch had given up the charade, or Banca's ability to break through the daemon has weakened. Either way, the daemon sits with minor second level bindings on, its eyes covered and blindfolded.

The acolytes fan out into the underworld of Footfall to do their work. Cully mostly sulks around; he doesn't have skills that would help Yeseul dig out a Chaos Sorcerer, but has nothing better to do besides find an Obscura den. Rodan and Tess ever the psychic pair, accompany Yeseul as she plies her way around the shadier parts of Footfall, trying to find sorcerers services. It isn't as hard as one would find. Footfall seems to be a destination for unsanctioned psykers, and many ply their trades reading omens for drunken ratings on shore leave. However, it doesn't take Yeseul long to find out that the truly heretical of psykers congregate in one of the abandoned asteroids called Cormack's Rest. Not only that, but one shifty psyker burned out on chems even says that Rictus tends to frequent a location called the Hall of Bones over in Cormack's Rest.

After leaving their last stop on their way back to the Twine, Tess notices that the group is being followed by at least half a dozen individuals. Bulky long coats hide armor, most of them have their hands resting on their hips under the coat, likely on unseen weapons. Tess motions behind them. Rodan steps off into the shadows, ready to act. The only question now is how does the group respond.

Okay, so you guys got all the rolls tonight. Yeseul rolled a 04 on inquiry, which is enough DoS to find out where your target is. Tess spots the mystery men behind you all, and Rodan also rolled a 04 on a stealth check to hide in the shadows.

I'm not exactly going to treat this as a full on battle yet, depending on how you want to handle the situation, but if you do react with violence, Rodan will get a surprise on them for being hidden.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt

Tess slowed her walk just a little, not turning around as she spoke.

"Any plans for our new friends? They're armed and following us. Behind us - don't look now."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rodan 008

Rodan draws his flamer and fingers the trigger for the pilot light. He whispers from the shadows.

"Fire? Or we could just try to lose 'em. But you know what my vote is."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

"Fighting them out here is no good, will bring down more attention. We need to lose them or confuse them."

Kind of want to try confronting them while pretending to be someone important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFa1-kciCb4

Cully Cross
Cully stops, does a sharp about face and stands there, hands resting on both chainswords. He says nothing, merely illuminating the group with his helmet's lamp pack. A low growl can be heard over the vox.

  • Locked thread