Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
  • Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

Cully made the decision for everyone, good for him.

I wish I was anywhere else, I wish I was anywhere else... Being caught in the open by a mob of hired guns wasn't anything to be proud of. Teleportation powers would be handy right now. Then again, if witch power meant ending up like Tess or Rodan, mundanity was a blessing.

The cell hadn't been in Footfall long and hadn't even antagonised anyone yet, so it seemed unlikely this was a local threat. That left the other main option, that these were the feelers sent out by another Inquisitorial cell to track down quarry. Not necessarily even acolytes, just hired killers sent on ahead to clear the way. They would be expected to die in an impressive fashion, providing evidence of the target and leaving it exposed. If that was indeed the case, they'd have been given the bare minimum of information and pushed in the right direction. Workable.

Stepping carefully around Cully (was he growling?) Yeseul raises her hands in a conciliatory gesture and affects the tone of someone who really doesn't want to see these nice strangers get sawed apart by Cully. "Now let's not do anything too hasty, I can see you're on the job but I'm sure you weren't paid enough up front to just rush into this."

Someone follow up with an Intimidate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



Intimidate v 30: 1d100 37

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rodan 008

Suddenly, Rodan's silhouette is illuminated by the faint glow of the flamer's pilot light. He sweeps it slowly from side to side, an unconscious demonstration of what he desperately wants to be doing

"Hello. I hate waiting. Make your decision before my trigger finger slips."

Assist on the Intimidate test, and I think it'd be appropriate to give us an additional bonus on the test for Rodan revealing he has the drop on them with a flamer. Jolinaxas can assist too.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt

Tess turned around slowly, facing them only after Rodan made his threat.

"I hope you got paid up front, at least. What's the last thing you ever bought? I'm curious. Hope it wasn't an engagement ring, or something like that. Would that be irony? I'd check the dictionarium on my slate, but you might think I'm reaching for a gun."

A strange but unsettling rambling by itself, something the warpstuff trailing from the words as they came out made much worse.

I can assist, or Tess is actually pretty terrifying on her own (51 Wil, +10 Intimidate, +10 from having gross warp stuff leaking out of her). Up to y'all. I'll roll if it's too late to assist.

Jolinaxas fucked around with this message at Feb 5, 2017 around 04:53

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



lets just have everyone assist Tess and just let it go from an obscure fueled khornate starting poo poo to really real.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Cully and Tess both turn around, followed by Yesul and finally Rodan from the shadows. With everyone looking upon those following them it quickly appears that their pursuers were out of their league. Dressed in little more than a hodgepodge of (likely stolen) Navy Flak Cloaks and poorly concealing stub autos and stub revolvers, the group obviously thought they could roll up upon the acolytes for a quick score.

With the view of chain swords and well, just all of Tess and her warp tainted nature, two of the group immediately turn tail and run. The remaining four stay for at least a split second longer, before they too all turn tail and run. It could be possible that the group was some sort of scouting party trying to find them, but it was the acolytes are fairly certain they were just stubjacks, and chasing them wouldn't be worth their time.

Back at the Twine, the acolytes share with their Inquisitor what they know about Rictus and his location. Finding Cormack's Rest would be easy enough, the Hall of Bone would be a little more complicated. Still, Whitehall undoes the binding on Xanaroch, and the group vacates their safehouse to try and find Rictus.

The group quickly finds out that Cormack's Rest was going to be a little more difficult to get to than originally anticipated. Cormack's Rest was a small asteroid with a reputation of being one that only the most depraved and desperate go to. It was so shunned that no corridors go to it, and it wasn't even chained to the rest of the structure like many of the asteroids. It spends its time floating among the larger asteroids in their delicate gravitational pull. Most lighter and void shuttle pilots immediately refuse to take the group there, since they is a high likelihood of their shuttle being jacked upon landing. Eventually though, they are able to find a local willing to take the group to an unused airlock.

As the group approaches Cormack's Rest, nothing seems too out of the ordinary. It looks like any small asteroid housing life in Footfall, with various building spires sticking up around it. The only thing of note from a distance is the distinct lack of traffic going in or out.

At least until the shuttle gets closer. Eventually the shuttle passes into the gravity well of Cormack's Rest, and they run into the asteroids unique ring of debris. All planets or large asteroids in the Imperium have rings of debris orbiting them. Thousands of years of space flight leaves such things like rocket boosters and ship components, but in this instance, Cormack's rest is orbited by meat.

Meat is not the proper term of course, they are human remains, but they are so cut up and mutilated that there are no chunks large enough to identify as clearly human, save the occasional piece of a torso large enough to make out a pelvis or shoulder. The shuttle pilot quickly docks with an airlock on one of the spires jutting from the station, and takes off as soon as everyone is inside and the outer door closes; he does not even wait for the airlock to cycle.

The acolytes were now trapped, they could not expect an extraction if they needed it. As they make their way through the airlock and into the asteroid, it becomes immediately apparent this is a place that the rest of Footfall has forgotten. Most of it is dark, with glow globes either smashed or flickering. Even more troubling is the fact that the artificial gravity is failing in most places, causing instances where the cell floats through a hall, or suddenly and violently get propelled into the ceiling as the gravity polarity quickly, and temporarily shifts. Only those used to zero gravity are fine, anyone else who has spent most of their time in the steady embrace of planetary gravity finds their balance is constantly off from the subtle and not so subtle shifting of gravity.

The group descends the spire towards the "surface" of the asteroid so they can try to find the Hall of Bone. Their progress is stopped when they reach what must have once been the main atrium of the spire. Now it has been turned into a ramshackle camp for a group of residents of Cormack's Rest. The group is numerous, at least a few dozen. Their armament is everything from pipe guns to old and battered las weapons, and even a few heavy stubbers. The group considers diplomacy to try and talk their way through, but the sickening smell of long pork coming from the cook fires below makes the group feel that diplomacy might be a risky proposition.

Okay, space raiders ahoy! Discuss your options on getting through. Diplomacy might work. You could try intimidate, but they have you grossly outnumbered. You might be able to sneak through their numbers, or perhaps direct (horde based) combat might be the option for you.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

"How does anyone get to Valencia in order to conduct business? He must not mind it too much. We might be able to sneak around them while they're not paying attention, or maybe brazenly introducing ourselves might do it. No better way to get directions to the resident sorcerer than asking the neighbours. Those underhive mutants weren't so unfriendly, though at least they didn't seem to eat each other..."

I think almost everyone has Stealth, so that's not a completely terrible option. Invoking Valencia might get their attention since he's a major figure around here. Though taking them by surprise might just work out best of all, though our medicae is limited.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt

Tess re-steadied herself as she crossed one of the malfunctioning grav-plates on her way to the atrium.

"Eh, just another underhive. Strength's their language. I can cloak up if need be, but I think we've got the stones to do just fine."

The lopsided smile had been plastered across her face ever since they'd scared off the would-be muggers. Being frightening was good fun all by itself, it seemed.

I vote for "Intimidate and drop Valencia's name"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Rodan 008

Wasn't his first time dealing with gravitational anomalies, but he didn't like them any more now than he did then. So far as Rodan was concerned, the only good gravitational shifts were the kind he caused.

"We can scare them off. And if they don't let us through, we go over their corpses."

My vote's on giving the Intimidate and name-drop a try.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

"Right then, you step up and get their attention. If things go sour try not to get stuck in their mob, we've got plenty of flash grenades to slow them down. Aricia, let's find a good spot and see if there's a figure to focus on first."

While Tess & co head up, have Yeseul hang back a bit, holding power sword and a stun grenade ready. Aricia set up with long las further back and aiming in on the most important looking target, if any.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt

The psyker stepped forward, taking in the atmosphere while she found a spot where most could hear her.

"Nice decorative work. Sure scared the pilot, anyway."

Tess let out something in-between a laugh and a racking cough, little droplet/clouds of black warpstuff imagining themselves into existence before dissipating.

"But can we get down to business, here? We're just looking for Valencia, and then we can let you fine folks get back to strewing parts of yourselves all over the void, okay?"

Intimidate at TN 71. I'll spend an infamy for the +10, since we're not corrupt enough to get re-rolls yet.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross
*tap* *tap* *tap* That's the sound Cully makes with his boot as he stands quietly to the right of Tess. His hands rest on the hilt of each of his chainswords. He's the strong silent type to the psyker's threats.

*tap* *tap* *tap*

Add +10 to Tess's Intimidate

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

The acolytes makes their way out into the atrium turned abattoir, doing nothing to hide their presence. Many of the degenerates take up their weapons and pensively watch the outsiders, waiting to see who makes the first move. When Tess steps forward and says they are looking for Valencia, a voice can be heard laughing in the distance. A large brute of a man, easily the size of an un-armored astartes, emerges from the group, gnawing on what is clearly the femur of a person. "Ha, you think I'm supposed to be impressed by the name of that loving fruit? His bootlicks have always tasted the best!"

Sensing a fight, the acolytes array themselves for combat, and as they do so, the much larger group of savages start to see what is arrayed against them. While they have the numerical advantage, the cannibals are dressed in a wide array of scavenged armor, and armed with weapons that have seen better days. Ramshackle auto guns, cut down las weapons, various dulled boarding swords, and a few chainswords sputtering smoke from their ill maintained engines.

Arrayed against them are some of the finest warriors of the Imperium, resplendent in carapace armor, armed with bolters and power swords, and ready for a fight. It also helps when Xanaroch comes out of the shadows and makes her full presence known. The dregs have no desire to tango with a daemonhost, but have too much pride to actually acknowledge their cowardice. There is a tense minute long standoff, before Whitehall starts to walk forward. the gathered cannibals part before her, and the acolytes make their way through their numbers and into the asteroid beyond.

The journey to the Hall of Bone is rather uneventful. Screams and gunshots are heard in the distance, and a few small groups scatter at the approach of the acolytes. Eventually, the group arrives to the Hall of Bone, and find it is aptly named.



The place is a drinking establishment adorned in bones, both human and Xenos. Everyone gathered around would not be out of place in an officer's club at a naval station. Everyone is drinking fine amazec from glasses, and smoking fine lho cigars while discussing business. The only thing is the amasec is being imbibed from skulls and the cigars rest in skull ashtrays.

The group make their way to the bar, and Whitehall indicates she is looking for Rictus Valencia. The bartender smiles and nods before walking off. She is quickly replaced by another, who starts taking drink orders. After a few minutes a nicely dressed man walks up to the group.



"Hello, my name is Rictus Valencia," he bows at the group and then produces a lighter to ignite one of Whitehall's now ever present Lhos. "You however, have me at a bit of a disadvantage. This location is invite only. The safest docking port is controlled by me, and only invited guests are allowed to dock. Since I know you didn't come from there, you must have been through quite the unpleasantness to come see me."

Xanaroch, Rodan, and Tess immediately share a look between them. For a man who allegedly makes trinkets that contain distilled sorcerer rituals, they can detect no latent psychic ability coming from the man. Either he is lying, or their information may be wrong.

Feel free to proceed how you would wish to, though if you all keep intimidating through EVERYTHING, Imma drop daemons on you. I even gave you guys a full -30 on the intimidate test due to the cannibals greatly outnumbering you, and you still failed less than them, so

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt (1/2 IP)

Tess gave the man who had been their goal a raised eyebrow, but nonetheless kept her mouth shut. But the non-psykers had to know. Well, the ones who gave a poo poo. Cully wouldn't care - if they wanted to kill this man, he'd know. So the Inquisitor and Yeseul received a telepathic message.

"This guy's not psy-active. At all. So either our source is wrong, or he's a front. A friendly face. Do with that what you want."

Thought Sending (TN 105, just checking for autofailure): 1d100 83

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Jolinaxas posted:


Tess Brandt (1/2 IP)

Tess gave the man who had been their goal a raised eyebrow, but nonetheless kept her mouth shut. But the non-psykers had to know. Well, the ones who gave a poo poo. Cully wouldn't care - if they wanted to kill this man, he'd know. So the Inquisitor and Yeseul received a telepathic message.

"This guy's not psy-active. At all. So either our source is wrong, or he's a front. A friendly face. Do with that what you want."

Thought Sending (TN 105, just checking for autofailure): 1d100 83

everyone who knows that this guy is not a psyker gets +20 to scrutiny rolls to detect if he is lying about his identity, and he automatically fails any deceive check where he claims he is a psyker.

If you want to do a scrutiny roll give me your TN and I will roll it. I want to keep it secret since a failure on a roll of too high a degree will result in you getting the wrong impression.

I've given you plenty of chances to fight, so now it is investigation time.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

Sending a disposable front man to meet dangerous strangers is a perfectly sensible act. The question becomes how long will they keep up the charade? While the boss keeps an eye on their daemon and/or host, Yeseul steps up.

"Yes, the journey here wasn't very pleasant. The small army of savages camped out in the station core didn't have many nice things to say about you when we asked for directions, but it worked out in the end. Before we get into the details, could we hold our meeting in a more private location?"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross
"Agreed."

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Rictus finishes lighting Whitehall's Lho before turning to Yeseul. The jovial appearance on his face disapears like a Carnival performer changing a mask, and suddenly a visage of cold rage stares down the Acolyte. "How dare you! You come to the Hall of Bone, uninvited, and ask to meet in a more private location? My dear little waif, the Hall of Bone is the private location that people come to speak at!"

Rictus begins to raise his voice, and even some of the other patrons who were doing their best to continue on their conversations and ignore the proceedings stop and stare. "For nearly a thousand years the Hall of Bone has stood as a location where captains with alternative viewpoints on religion, politics, and inter-species relations could come and meet like minded people instead of hiding in "private" places. Each man and woman here, except yourselves, has gone through a rigorous vetting process including oaths and the handing over of damning evidence against themselves. We operate on a Mutually Assured Destruction business model; if any member of the Club were to rat out another member, we have enough information to make sure the Inquisition would execute them on sight!"

Rictus begins to calm down, and the other patrons turn back to their cigars, amasec, and conversation. "Yet here you are, ignorant of that history, and demanding to speak with me! Give me a good reason why I should not call down security and have them strip the flesh from your very bones!"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross
"It is funny that you say these things. That you threaten us, we who've found you in your heretical, pathetic little sanctuary. You and the bougee motherfethers you call patrons should consider themselves blessed by the Gods that this place hasn't become host to a symposium on chain swordsmanship before our arrival. Trust me Mr. Valencia, when my lady suggests we should retire elsewhere, it isn't because we don't appreciate the accommodations or the history. Please reconsider."

I'm not sure how to write Cully as anything other than aggressive and spiteful even when trying to be patient with others. This isn't quite a charm attempt but neither is it an intimidation attempt. It's more of a statement.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2017 around 21:10

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt

Tess lazily raised a single finger.

"Point of fact: private is not the same as exclusive, heresy-friendly, or just plain non-judgemental. Note the people trying not to look like they're staring at your little outburst. Okay, they're a little bad at that last one."

She sighed.

"We want to talk business, and there's a reason even the most righteous and above-board business discussions aren't exactly broadcast through laud hailers. Am I right?"

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross
"Quite right. Is it everyday you have this cast of players enter this hall unannounced? You'll wanna hear us out."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

"Let me rephrase that slightly, could we be seated instead of standing here?"

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Rictus rolls his eyes and motions for a booth against the wall. Only about four people can sit in it comfortably. Whitehall takes a seat, along with Yeseul and Tess. Whitehall briefly mentions that the group in interested in the kind of sorcery he used to make the "premade bottled rituals" that have been circulating in the Calixis sector.

Rictus places his hand on Whitehall's and replies with a tone of regret. "I am sorry my dear woman, but I am unable to repeat those rituals, a focus that I used was destroyed, and it was a unique artifact, I am afraid i will be unable to provide you with any such rituals."

Everyone, even Cully, can tell that Rictus is lying. Whitehall take's Rictus's hand in hers, places her Lho in her mouth, and with the other jams a bolt pistol into his side. She then indicates that she is REALLY looking for the source of that focus. The tip of the Lho stick is right in Rictus's face, close to his eye.

"Huh, so much for you ever getting into this club! Fine, I am not a psyker, my Patron god wouldn't allow such a thing. That said, we still need rituals, so I had them sourced for an outside source, from the Screaming Vortex. I met a Rogue Trader, fabian Markas, who made regular trips there, and brought them back, made a side business of selling them. Well this rogue trader's ship, the Astral Surfer was seized about a month ago, the crew all mustered off, and Mr. Markas arrested. Word is an Inquisitor is on station right now looking to deliver the final judgment to him, even out here."

Whitehall lowers the gun, and Rictus snatches his hand away. Whitehall brings her hand to her mouth, takes the Lho in hand, and exhales a cloud in Rictus's face. He coughs and then continues. "Your little plan is for naught. Markas will soon be executed. Even if you save him, his ship is still in lockdown, and even if you get past the lockdown, there is the matter of the ship not being crewed. So you and your band are rather screwed here."

I actually wanted this to go longer, but he rolled a loving 99 on his deceive, so his lie was quickly revealed. So you finally have a source of these rituals that might free Banca, and surprise you get to go to Chaos Space. First though, you have to free a "friendly" rogue trader, who knows where to get you where you need to go.

How do you want to go about this? Split up and tackle the jobs, try to do everything together? Loud or quiet?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross
Cully discreetly subvocalizes his assessment to the rest of the team "I say we kill everyone who has seen us enter this place. We can't have word getting back to this other Inquisitor. Then we need to find out where the Inquisitor's cell is operating and extract our target. I don't think we can do it subtly. We're just going to have to kill them all. Let me and Tess snoop out the rival cell and try to get a bead on where they are safe'd up. We shouldn't draw much attention and we're nimble enough to get the feth out of dodge if we're compromised. Rest of you guys can figured out our ride off this station."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt

"So our ticket out of here is springing some crazy Rogue Trader and heisting a voidship from underneath a hunting Inquisitor."

She scratched at one of the rough spots on her scalp where the injection wires were installed.

"It'll be worth it, right? At least worth trying."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

After the boss's rather harsh questioning, Yeseul takes a softer, more conciliatory tone. Some gentle pheromones may be involved, but being someone's friend is surprisingly easy when you're not the one threatening them.

"Rictus. Why bother with all the deceit and mystique? It really casts a pall over the proceedings, all the secrets and lies make it so much harder to form bonds of trust, not to mention the thematic confusion. And in the end, we both want the same thing! Why, just imagine if this went on and every line of trade got pinched off by over-achieving Inquisitors. Can you imagine going on with priests and arbites swarming all over like it's Fleet Week at Port Wander? We all might as well bow down to the nearest aquila and wait for judgement. And privately, this particular part of Footfall looks rather suspicious from the outside, what with the cloud of body parts and the rumours of legendary sorcerers inhabiting it."

Yeseul's tone turns a bit acidic.

"Now, I do apologise for us barging in here so rudely. But fate has brought us together, and we can't let this opportunity go to waste. So take a moment to think on this and answer honestly if you fancy it. There is an Inquisitor, on your station, interfering in your business, about to execute your partner. Would you like to contribute anything towards addressing this problem? Or if you don't feel up to it, could you point out someone else here who does?"

Trying to goad him a bit into acting. Did Khorne vanish away his balls? Or maybe there's someone else in the bone zone willing to help gently caress up an Inquisitor.

Pheromone powers activate: 1d100 14 vs 58WP
Charm powers activate +10 Infamy: 1d100 82
Charm powers activate +10 Infamy, reroll infamy: 1d100 44 vs 81 Charm
51 Charm, +10 Infamy, +20 pheromones
This guy doesn't seem like a planetary governor and/or warlord

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Rictus glares at Yeseul a scowl on his face. "You're nowhere near as clever as you think you are. Your very Presence here means that the hall of Bone will have to be dismantled, go underground until things cool down, and then set up elsewhere new. That or kill the whole lot of you. We can't let non-members know our location and let them leave with it. While I am tempted to see what stuff you're made out of, what I really want to do is go and deal with those damned cannibals, The only reason we even left them around as neighbors, ejecting their waste into the void, is because they were good at keeping out undesirables."

Rictus slowly stands up from his seating, and waves his hand at those around. "You heard it men, women, and Slaaneshi Hermaphroditic Horrors, the Hall of Bone is going to shutter the doors after being here for 53 years, the third longest stay in a location before some lot like this messed it up." Rictus points toward a door in the corner before throwing Whitehall a key. "Through there is our secret landing bay. Take one of the shuttles and leave this place, the rest of us have some anger to take out on some cannibals."

The group obliges, heading towards the door, when they are cut off by a woman with skin that was too perfect, too porcelain. She introduces herself as Victoria Reddcliffe and indicates she would like to aid the group in their endeavors if it means going to the Screaming Vortex with them. Whitehall shrugs and continues on her way, which Victoria takes as an invitation.

Back on Footfall proper, the group spend little time trying to gather what information they can. The Cell finds that the Astral Surfer is in a secured drydock near what is considered the seat of what little Imperial Power there is here. Secured mostly means some station armsmen guard the one gangway leading into the ship. A token force that could easily be overcome by anyone who actually meant to do real harm. The ship is, however, totally dark, meaning the engines would need to go through the lengthy start up rites before it could go anywhere.

The group even finds information on Fabian Markas. Seems he has been judged a criminal for high heresy and has had his Warrant stripped. The local Imperial forces and the Inquisition wish to make an example of him. He is to be taken to the square outside of the Imperial District in Three Days Time and hung by the neck until he passes out, then revived, then repeated until he begs for death. Then he'll be hung one more time and disemboweled.

And they say Chaos folks are cruel.

Okay, Dachshundofdoom can now use his new character. Rodan is NPCed for now.

So you have three days until execution. In that time you need to:

1. Gather a crew for the ship ready to act on a moment's notice.
2. Secure the Ship in dry dock
-wait until you free markas and just storm it.
-try to sneak aboard
-something else
3. Free your Prisoner.
-try to free him from jail before his execution
-make a daring, and public, rescue attempt at his execution and run for it.
-again, something else

Each objective has a few ways to complete it, each with their own pros and cons. If you break Markas out of jail, you better be ready for additional security at his ship, because of course he would flee there.

Whatever you decide, the most dangerous time is going to be after you get markas on his ship, since you will have to begin the rites of ignition. Unless you split the party.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Victoria Reddcliffe

"The rites of ignition? I can handle those. I should've mentioned that. Despite appearances, I used to be a cog. And coming from Rogue Trader stock, I was extensively... upgraded, despite being in some pointless dead-end position where I wasn't actually expected to do poo poo."

She lets the utility mechadendrite slither out of one of her sleeves and eyes it with obvious distaste, teeth gritted. It hisses back into hiding just as quickly.

"So I ain't dead weight, is what I'm saying. Isn't that right, Surge?"

The servitor neither confirms nor denies her statement from its place in the corner. Erika grins at it, sharklike.

"He's not a great conversationalist. But that's alright, neither am I. Now, I'm not really a member of your crew and I only have a vague idea of what you're up to, not that I really care. So it ain't my place to tell you what to do. But personally speaking, I've gotten a little tired of skulking around this place. It's been too long since I took out my frustrations on somebody. I propose we work on getting the crew together, then once that's done, some of you go rip Markas from the noose or the jail, whatever's easier, and in the meantime you send me and whoever you can spare to go kill our way onto that ship and get her started. Coordinating it all might be a bit of a pain, but we do it right and they'll be knocked off balance by the simultaneous action. But hey, that's just my suggestion. I'll do whatever you decide, you didn't get this far by being idiots. As for the first part, getting the crew together, well, I'll leave most of that up to you. I got more in common with Surge these days than I do with people, like it or not. You hear me, Surge?"

The servitor remains silent on the matter.

pre:
Name: Victoria Reddcliffe
Alignment: Unaligned 
Archetype: Heretek
Pride: Wealth
Disgrace: Wrath
Motivation: Vengeance

WS:  41 (16)
BS:  33 (8)
S:   35 (10)
T:   36 (11)
Agi: 40 (15)
Int: 46 (16 +5 Archetype)
Per: 41 (16 +5 Disgrace -5 Motivation)
WP:  32 (12 -3 Pride -2 Disgrace)
Fel: 33 (8)

Wounds: 17 (-1 Disgrace +2 Motivation)
Infamy: 31 (26 +5)
IP: 3/3
CP: 12

Skills:

Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus, Imperium, Tech, War)
Dodge +10
Forbidden Lore (Warp)
Linguistics (Low Gothic)
Scholastic Lore (Chymistry)
Tech-Use +10
Trade (Armourer)

Talents:

Armour-Monger
Die Hard
Double Team
Enemy (Adeptus Mechanicus)
Mechadendrite Training (Utility, Weapon)
Meditation
Minion of Chaos
Sprint
Technical Knock
Weapon-Tech
Weapon Training (Las, Primary, Shock, Power)

Traits/Mutations/Other:

The Quick and the Dead: +2 to Initiative Rolls

Mechanicus Implants
Binary Chatter
Machine (4)
Unnatural Intelligence (2)

Gear:

BC Lascarbine
Power Axe
Light Carapace Armour
Unholy Unguents
Combi-Tool
Dataslate
Utility Mechadendrite
Maglev Coils
GC Cerebral Implants
BC Mechanicus Assimilation (4)
Medicae Mechadendrite
Dendrite Blades (4)
BC Bionic Legs

Acquisitions:

BC Mechanicus Assimilation x4 (-10 Rare -20 Best +0 Minor +20 Wealth)
Medicae Mechadendrite (-20 Very Rare +10 Single)
Dendrite Blades x4 (-10 Rare +0 Minor)
BC Bionic Legs

XP/Inf/CP Log:



XP		2100/2100

Mechadendrite Training (Weapon)-500 (U)
Infamy +5-500                       (U)
Minion of Chaos-250                 (U)
Double Team-250                     (U)
Weapon-Tech-250                     (U)
Dodge +10-350                       (S)
pre:
Name: Surge (Upgraded Combat Servitor)

WS:  36 (16 +5)
BS:  18 (8 -5)
S:   31 (16)
T:   31 (16)
Agi: 30 (15)
Int: 25 (10)
Per: 26 (11)
WP:  27 (12)
Fel: 18 (8 -5)

Wounds: 12
Loyalty: 43

Skills:

Athletics
Awareness
Dodge +10
Parry +10

Talents:

Ambidextrous
Double Team
Counter Attack
Crippling Strike
Flesh Render
Furious Assault
Weapon Training (Chain)

Traits/Mutations/Other:

Brutal Charge (4)
Machine (4)
Multiple Arms (3)
Unnatural Strength (3)
Unnatural Toughness (3)

Gear:

Chain Greatsword w/ Venom Drip
Chainsword w/ Duellist's Grip, Mono
Light Carapace Armor

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at Apr 6, 2017 around 17:00

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt

Tess snorted at the indignant retreat of the low-grade heretics. Life got so much better once one realized how unimportant one really was. But they'd put a lot of effort into this particular bit of self-delusion, hadn't they?

"I- *snrk* I think that went really well. Well, we've got some dockside bars and back alleys to trawl. I know -I'm- excited."

-----

quote:

She lets the utility mechadendrite slither out of one of her sleeves and eyes it with obvious distaste, teeth gritted. It hisses back into hiding just as quickly.

"Can that thing light lhos?"

Plans of any type were a good way to hear Tess laugh. But in the short time that their new co-worker had been around, she'd clearly put a lot of thought into their predicament. Must be the cogs in her head.

"No, that makes sense. I don't know about a crew, either. It's not like we've actually -got- a warrant we can lean on for the thrones to hire a few thousand dockside scumbags. Also, if getting on the ship is scheduled for 'explosions and murder o'clock', consider me on team jailbreak. I'm better at making bullets never start flying in the first place. But I do know a kindly gent who sets his alarm similarly."

She glanced over at Cully, raising an eyebrow. Surely he was down for some good old boarding-style violence?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross
"Any chance we could just kill the voidsmen guarding the gangway and hire some people to stand there for appearances while we get the ship back online? You know I'll clean house real loving quick. After that we can focus on the breakout of this Markas chap."

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

This new Rogue Trader hanger-on certainly looked the type. It was hard to tell, but it looked like a near-total body conversion, artfully obscured by the most expensive cybernetic craftwork in the Imperium and beyond. Not that anyone found lurking in the heretic-hole was particularly trustworthy, but at least they weren't ranting about conquering the galaxy or spontaneously mutating.

Yeseul scrolls frantically through a data pad containing everything saved on crewing starships, which isn't much. For some reason she had never expected to have to steal one. Or fly it into a warp storm.

"There's too much about voidship operation I don't know, but we absolutely need a competent crew on hand. Press-ganging dregs can work, but you still need veterans to lead by example. And specialist roles absolutely can't be filled by any but experts. With any luck, some of Markas' old crew might still be on Footfall, if they haven't already been executed for their complicity. They should be happy to work again. Supplies should be already onboard, I suppose the Inquisitor hasn't touched that yet."

That old uncertainty and self-doubt creeps in.

"Securing the ship early sounds good, but if it gets out, Inquisitor would probably dispense with the ritual and execute Markas just to be safe. At least, that's what I would do. Still, even a few hours head-start on preparing to undock could be vital... If the sentries are lax, we could get away with almost anything.

"Breaking Markas out of prison, not very attractive. That's one of the most well-defended spots in Footfall, guarded by everyone an Inquisitor could wrangle into place. Grabbing him when they're executing him outside, should be easier in and out but he might be incapacitated. What about... Hitting his guard detail as they march outside with him, before they string him up? He should be mobile, and it's probably the weakest the security will be."

"Markas had better be grateful for this." she mutters, eyes sliding over lists of bulk non-perishables.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

After some discussion, it becomes apparent that the cell would split in two. One group would attack the guards keeping the ship locked down, while another group would attack during the day of the execution to try and free their target. The only thing that remained was to round up a crew, and any reconnaissance or planning before their attempt. The group would only have one shot at this: if either team failed in their mission, they would be left either without a ship, or without the man with knowledge to get them to their destination.

Whitehall speaks, "okay, well, this is going to be a line that there is no going back from. People don't typically go to Chaos occupied space and get to come back. Now, we can't go dragging Xanaroch to a public execution, so Xanaroch is going to assist the group trying to secure the ship. I will go with those trying to free the Prisoner. Any last minute objections or questions?"

Okay, for the crew acquisition, someone, and only one, make me either a commerce, fellowship, or infamy test (only one other person can assist). I will keep the modifier secret. A failing roll might not fail, or a success might not be one. A failure won't mean you can't find a crew, I am not going to halt the story on a bad roll. A failure will impact the quality and potentially number of folks you find, which may lead to complications on the escape.

It seems the two team approach is what is desired. I think it is summarized as:

Boarding Team:
Xanaroch
Cully
Victoria

Rescue team:
Inquisitor Whitehall
Yeseul and minion
Tess

Does that seem right on distribution of teams?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Victoria Reddcliffe

Something occurs to her; Victoria grins devilishly and speaks up.

"No questions about the operation. Cully and I will take good care of your daem--ah, your Interrogator. But there is one thing: scratch what I said earlier. I think I actually can work on getting that crew. I've been here for a while, built up a bit of a... reputation. Don't give me that look, it's a good one so far as the locals are concerned. I let a few rumors slip to the right people, let them know that I've made powerful friends who are interested in getting that ship running again and who need a crew to do it. There'll be an obvious implication of great reward, seeing as I'm already known as someone who gets things done and isn't hesitant about throwing wealth around. One of you come along, I'll make more an impact if I have one of my new, powerful 'friends' along for the ride."

Victoria sets off into the streets, Surge in tow, looking for a few of the contacts she'd made on Footfall in the past few months of being stuck here. Call in a few favors, bend the truth a little, and with any luck at all they'd get a competent crew going. In particular she was going to make sure word made it to as many of the Rogue Trader's dispossessed original crew as possible: they had a chance to get their old jobs back. If, of course, they had the courage to seize this opportunity.

Infamy vs 41 (31 +10 Assist): 64, alright, there'll probably be (at the very least) some minor issues, but I assume a crew gathered by force of reputation will be better anyway, if only because promises of wealth or raw demagoguery would be more likely to .draw in idiots who won't be interested in the idea of long-term rewards.

Anyway yeah, those teams look like what I had in mind.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011






Fun Shoe


Yeseul

"Whitehall, If the opportunity should arise, should we attempt to eliminate the Inquisitor? There are... advantages and disadvantages to it. I expect we'll be too busy with other things at the time, but..?"

"Cully, could I borrow another stun grenade? I might need some help beating the crowds at the main event."

Being an extraordinarily ordinary person, I'm probably the best person to scout out Imperial Town? Deceive would count for going in plain sight with obscured identity I think? Arriving along with the crowd to watch the execution and attack from an unexpected angle would also probably be helpful. Henchperson would ideally have a nice sniping spot to plink away from (and probably miss every shot), but they're also built for pairing up in melee.

Though now I'm regretting not having the right talents for making a crowd for insane and attack a target QQ.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt

Tess shook her head.

"A little high-profile, isn't it? Even if I force the issue."

She pantomimed putting a gun to her head and pulling the trigger.

"Unless we're operating under certain maxims. After all, if you can't get away clean, you might as well leave everything filthy. I can back you up either way."

Tess is sort of an all-around okay talker/sneaker, so she's interested in a smooth, heist-y jailbreak, but if folks want to go nuts, it's doable.

Also, yes. Inspire Wrath and its follow-ups are the best thing ever. Learned that playing a Dark Apostle.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007



If we have the daemonhost helping to take the ship, we could move Cully over to the prisonbreak crew. Either way works for me though.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

With the plan set, the group disbands to go about their various preparation work. Victoria manages to gather up the crew needed, but not as efficiently as she could. Her reputation isn't quite what it once was, or really could have been, and no one really wants to go on with someone who technically doesn't have a ship. They also are even less likely to join when the person trying to recruit them says, "Uh, go over by this impounded ship in three days time and wait to board once we take out the guard."

With those being the terms of the employment, it takes Victoria all three days to round up the crew.

Victoria thinks she has a competent crew, but due to the DoF, she is unable to aid any additional support in the heist preparation.

Meanwhile, Xanaroch and Cully scope out the situation at the Astral Surfer. Looking out a port hole, Xanaroch is able to identify the ship as a Iconoclast-Class Destroyer. A small ship, which means it shouldn't be to hard to find a crew for it. The ship is in an impound drydock, as was to be expected. The ship power does seem to be off; the one gangway leading to the ship has a power coupling and some HVAC feeding the ship just enough power and air to keep the life sustainers going.

The observation of the first day shows that the gangway/umbilical is maned by about twelve Enforcer types. Carapace chestpieces, handcannons, and lasguns seem to be the weapons of the day. The gangway has two checkpoints: one about 50 meters from the station, and another one about 50 meters from that. Each Checkpoint has a six people each. The second checkpoint seems to have some sort of weapon mounted on a swivel, but from this distance it is hard to tell what it is; it could be any of the standard high volume crew serviced weapons.

The guards are divided into three shifts. Based on the relief schedule, if you attacked shortly after the second shift change (and manage not to sound an alarm) you should have about two hours until the execution occurs.

Whitehall, Tess, and Yeseul spend some time looking over the square where the execution is to occur. The square is located in front of the Imperial District, which is itself a large asteroid attached to the square by a large umbilical gangway two hundred meters long. The side of the gangway that terminates at the square has a large ceremonial door large enough to fit a Baneblade, and a guard post constantly manned by a handful of Arbites with bolters and plasma guns. It is very likely that those same Arbites will be on guard during the day of the execution, meaning if the plan is to nab the Rogue Trader while he is in route to the gallows, he would need to be grabbed once he is in the square.

It is hard to get a full appreciation of the square. While the gallows is in place, the Arbites and Enforcers have not begun to put up barricades for the execution, so the group does not currently know where the crowd is going to be corralled, or even how close to the gallows and march of shame the crowd will be allowed to go.

The Square itself is 750 meters by 400 meters and carved out of solid rock. It is lined with quite a few buildings carved out of the rock, mostly of religious or governmental functions. A Cathedral, station Enforcer Headquarters, and port master buildings are among those present, dotted throughout with other smaller shops selling either luxury goods or religious trinkets.

There are Two Days Remaining until the Execution

Okay, so you all have spent some time gathering some intel. Feel free to talk among yourselves about what approaches to take, if you want to spend more time gathering intel, if you want to make any lore or knowledge checks, etc.

Dachshundofdoom is allowed to participate, his character just can't make any skill tests as she is too busy throwing together a rag-tag crew

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution



Tess Brandt

"So, before he passes the guard post, it's a no-go..."

Tess was busy lazily scratching a rough map into the metal of the street with her sword.

"...and we can't grab him if he gets too close to the gallows, it's a public event and we'll have entire precints and maybe the crowd, and maybe some Inquisitorial hangers-on. So right before he gets into the square seems like the best bet. Depending on how many are with him, could be manageable. Can you two think something up to get the perp-walk to slow down or stop? Maybe think up one last layer of red tape or something. Or we can dig up or fake something on the Arbites that'll be doing the job, and take them with us."

She bit her lip; their prospects were still fairly daunting.

"Either way, we're likely spending whatever time we've got to spare getting to know the local Arbites. Which means I know what I'm doing - seeing if any of them have a local favorite drinking spot."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013



Pillbug


Victoria Reddcliffe

Victoria scans the scouting reports during one of her rare breaks, scowling. Things were not going as smoothly as she liked and it was only making her more eager to crack a few skulls.

"Hmm, good defensive positions, 12 men, and a heavy weapon emplacement, all covering a single route of attack. That'll be sticky. Wish I had a missile launcher, that'd be a laugh riot. Or smoke grenades, choke gas, hallucinogens..."

She glances at Xanaroch.

"Can you fly? If we could find a way to get you behind them so they'd be pincered between us, that's probably our best bet. Well, look at the time. I've got another meeting. Wish me luck, the idiots around here don't know opportunity when they see it and it's taking a lot longer to get this crew together than I'd hoped."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007




Cully Cross
"I still got bangers left after I handed some of my stash to Yeseul. That heavy weapons team will be murder so I need to kill them from range first and keep them off the gun while you guys take on the rest of the position. If we can score some smoke grenades and a launcher then toss them ahead of my advance and leave that second checkpoint up to me."


Yes Yeseul you have flash grenades from cully

  • Locked thread