Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Extreme0 posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/748153405089132544

Don't knows included would be Agree 61%, Disagree 39%

Seems fairly right enough as it matches the results Scotland gave a few days ago.

http://tvthek.orf.at/program/ZIB-2/1211/ZIB-2/13117502/Gespraech-mit-dem-schottischen-Politiker-Robertson/13117577

Apparently Germans are actually surprised in how Angus sounds more german then the presenter :lol:

Woah he speaks better German than me and I grew up speaking the language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Coohoolin posted:

Don't lie. Everyone knows you hail from Switzerland.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah pretty unfortunate to go from speaking Schwyzerdütsch to Doric. No matter where you go people think you have a dreadful speech impediment. :v:

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Coohoolin posted:

Wait till Jedit comes out and tells us he was right about the SNP being Nazis.

:v:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

big scary monsters posted:

Yeah pretty unfortunate to go from speaking Schwyzerdütsch to Doric. No matter where you go people think you have a dreadful speech impediment. :v:

It's actually an easy transition, lots of similar sounds.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't lie. Everyone knows you hail from Switzerland.

Hurrrrr.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/748274149806772224

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Can't believe you are mocking the Scottish vocabulary Pissflaps. Should be ashamed of yourself.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It's ok, I'm party Scottish.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Maybe a "stupidist" is some sort of performance artist.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Coohoolin posted:

It's actually an easy transition, lots of similar sounds.

I bet you'd get on well with Dutch. The vocabulary already has a lot of correlates with German and Scots (sure you can figure out "Ik ken waar je een kerk kijken kan" from either language). And I reckon Swiss German in particular sounds sort of similar, plus for a German speaker the grammar is really simple.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I've wanted to learn German for a while. Never knew Angus Robertson could speak fluent German. Wonders never cease.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Is that like being a social smoker?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Pissflaps posted:

There are no Scots outside the Party, friend :)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
We're all Jock Tamson's bairns.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

big scary monsters posted:

I bet you'd get on well with Dutch. The vocabulary already has a lot of correlates with German and Scots (sure you can figure out "Ik ken waar je een kerk kijken kan" from either language). And I reckon Swiss German in particular sounds sort of similar, plus for a German speaker the grammar is really simple.

Yeah I reckon.

I know where I can... keek a kerk? What's a kerk?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Extreme0 posted:

Wait till Jedit comes out and tells us he was right about the SNP being Nazis.

:v:

You're out of luck, I'm afraid. I'm not in, so I can't come out.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

Coohoolin posted:

Yeah I reckon.

I know where I can... keek a kerk? What's a kerk?

even I know that. Are you sure you're in scotland? it has a lot of kirks

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

stephenfry posted:

even I know that. Are you sure you're in scotland?

I thought it was a kirk but "I know where you can see a church" is a weird sentence.

E: Hmm. Ok.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

Urgh. Why has there been no news so far on Important figures and the Scottish parties stances. I want juicy details.

Most likely after Article 50 is triggered.

Also juicy polling done with voting intention.

quote:

Changes from May vote:

Scot'Parl voting intention (const.): SNP: 50% (+3) CON: 21% (-1) LAB: 18% (-5) LDEM: 8% (-)

Scot'Parl voting intention (list): SNP: 41% (-1) CON: 20% (-3) LAB: 16% (-3) GRN: 12% (+5) LD: 7% (+2)

Lol Labour getting hosed again and the Greens taking a wave of support.

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 30, 2016

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Pissflaps posted:

Try again without the hyperbole.

Things will be worse than they would have been, but the sky isn't falling.

Brexit demonstrates why breaking union with your most important partners is a bad idea. What's true for the UK is true for Scotland.

Nationalism got us into this mess. More nationalism is not the solution.

Hmm yes lets stay in this failing union because apparently Scotland wanting to have decisions about how Scotland is ran and not be dictated by England is nationalism

The sky isn't falling because Article 50 hasn't been triggered yet. Scotland will get their independence referendum soon enough, there's a lot on the line to get the ball rolling again before London companies decide to gently caress off to Paris/Frankfurt for good. I'm sure there's demand from people to move their HQ to Edinburgh over Europe once it happens too.

You are right though, more nationalism isn't the solution. Perhaps you can be the one to tell that to the boys down in England.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lady Galaga posted:

Hmm yes lets stay in this failing union because apparently Scotland wanting to have decisions about how Scotland is ran and not be dictated by England is nationalism

The sky isn't falling because Article 50 hasn't been triggered yet. Scotland will get their independence referendum soon enough, there's a lot on the line to get the ball rolling again before London companies decide to gently caress off to Paris/Frankfurt for good. I'm sure there's demand from people to move their HQ to Edinburgh over Europe once it happens too.

You are right though, more nationalism isn't the solution. Perhaps you can be the one to tell that to the boys down in England.

Pot, kettle.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lady Galaga posted:

You forgot to say 'Wastemonster'.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Extreme0 posted:

Urgh. Why has there been no news so far on Important figures and the Scottish parties stances. I want juicy details.

Most likely after Article 50 is triggered.

Also juicy polling done with voting intention.

p much everyone is shell shocked.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Why are you so pedantic, Mr Flaps?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tithin posted:

Why are you so pedantic, Mr Flaps?

Can you quote the pedantry you're referring to? It's my experience that the word is usually misused.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Pissflaps posted:

Can you quote the pedantry you're referring to? It's my experience that the word is usually misused.

I dunno, this seems ill advised.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

tithin posted:

I dunno, this seems ill advised.

It's also not possible.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Boris ain't running for PM. One bright spot in the dark.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Coohoolin posted:

I thought it was a kirk but "I know where you can see a church" is a weird sentence.

E: Hmm. Ok.

Yeah I maybe got a bit carried away with the alliteration.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

PiCroft posted:

Boris ain't running for PM. One bright spot in the dark.

Yea and we get Theresa May instead. Maggie 2.0 :suicide:

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Extreme0 posted:

Yea and we get Theresa May instead. Maggie 2.0 :suicide:

May doesn't have nearly the intimidation factor charisma that Maggie had, though.

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Doesn't really matter when she's the only candidate that isn't completely incompetent.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Significant sounding stuff from the Guardian, though I've no idea how reliable the source is:

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

I presume that's from the European and External Relations Committee this morning. Didn't watch it myself, but the report will be available from 6pm today apparently. The panel of experts discussion doesn't appear to be up on the Scottish Parliament YouTube account yet, only the first part with Fiona Hyslop

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Police Scotland: No rise in hate crime in Scotland since Brexit

quote:

Police Scotland has claimed that it has not witnessed any increase in the reportage of hate crimes in Scotland in the aftermath of the UK’s vote to leave the EU.

The revelations come in the wake of a spike in racist incidents in the UK in the aftermath of the country’s vote to leave the European Union on 23 June.

Speaking to CommonSpace, Police Scotland Chief Superintendent Barry McEwan said: “At this time we have not witnessed any increase in the level of reports being received.

“However we acknowledge that often these incidents go unreported.

“I would encourage any person who has been the victim of, or witness to, any type of hate incident to report it to Police Scotland.”

However, there is some anecdotal evidence of increased activity by far right activists in Scotland.

As they say, this doesn't mean that hate crimes aren't rising as well in Scotland, but it is at least something that it appears that there hasn't been the same drastic rise as has been reported in England.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
This is exactly what I was wondering earlier in the thread, and it's good to hear.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That may also be as a result of Scotland being 95% white.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OwlFancier posted:

That may also be as a result of Scotland being 95% white.
Well, England is having hate crimes targeted at white people too, so that wouldn't be the sole explanation I don't think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, England is having hate crimes targeted at white people too, so that wouldn't be the sole explanation I don't think.

As in, Scotland is overwhelmingly white british. I think about 94%

While this hardly precludes the commission of hate crimes it does mean that you'll have to work about 3 times as hard to find someone to do a hate crime on than in England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The area of Glasgow is probably a majority population of new Scots and the only hate crimes I've witnessed are yoons who don't event live here moaning about it on social media.

I'm just guessing they're yoons based on the high number of Rangers based avatars.