Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
This thread is for talking about any anime that is about people doing a sport.

UPCOMING SPORTS ANIME (thanks to Lucy Heartfilia's Summer Thread for these)

BATTERY
Zero-G | Mochizuki, Tomomi | Mochizuki, Tomomi | Drama, Slice of Life, Sports | Light Novel | Jul 15, 2016
Meet Takumi Harada – not even in junior high and he's the best pitcher in the region, although he's frustrated and ready to give up, because he can't find a catcher who is good enough to keep up with how he pitches in this backwater town his family has just moved to. Then along comes a kid named Gou Nagakura...

Cheer Boys (Cheer Danshi!!)
Brain's Base | Yoshimura, Ai | N/A | School, Sports | Novel | Jul 5, 2016
The story revolves around the "slightly odd and cute" members of a cheerleading squad at a men's university.

DAYS
MAPPA | Uda, Kounosuke | N/A | School, Shounen, Sports | Manga | N/A
The series is about two boys named Tsukushi and Jin. Tsukushi is a boy with no special talent or traits while Jin is considered a soccer genius. On one stormy night, Jin meets Tsukushi, and they get dragged into the world of soccer.

GOON-RECOMMENDED SPORTS ANIME

Aim for the Ace
A classic.

Baby Steps
Not very gay.

Haikyuu!!
Haikyuu is about Karasuno High volleyball team, a once great team fallen on hard times. At first it seems like it's gonna be about the hot-blooded Hinata and the cool Kageyama, talented first years who just need to work together, but they quickly become just parts of a larger ensemble piece. Every member of the Karasuno team gets to shine, as they all work hard to polish their strengths, overcome their weaknesses, and most importantly, contribute to the team. One of the show's biggest strengths is that there's no assholes. All of the other teams are basically just cool dudes who love volleyball, same as Karasuno. You can root for everybody. But that doesn't mean you don't care when they lose. A big loss, even of an antagonist team, can come as a punch to the gut, because you see how hard every character works, and how much they care about volleyball.

One Outs

Ookiku Furikabutte
After a torrid and confidence-crushing middle school baseball experience where he was constantly and solely blamed for his previous team's losses, Mihashi Ren decided to give up the sport upon joining high school. Having been given the mound due to nepotism (his grandfather owns the middle school he attended) and refusing to give it up to a much more talented teammate, Mihashi decided he was unfit and and unworthy to continue playing. However, he was roped into his high school team as the club's only pitcher, as his teammates - all fellow first years - sought to establish themselves as a newly formed team amidst some of the biggest schools in the Saitama region. Mihashi quickly becomes a key part of the team due to his pin-point accuracy, which he picked up from extensive isolated practice, but his strategic knowledge is borderline non-existent due to his lack of experience within a strong battery previously. This is taken advantage of by his new partner Takaya Abe, who is one of the most cunning battery leaders in the region, though he has negative battery experiences of his own. The series follows Mihashi as he tries to overcome his crippling lack of self confidence, with the help of a really cool and supportive group of teammates and staff, and Nishiura's development as an inexperienced team - making use of its few strong points against much more capable opponents in strategically and psychologically engaging matches.

Oofuri is a fantastic series that is very much along the same vein as Haikyuu!!, with many wonderful characters who are lovely and cool and great. You really become attached to the main cast quite quickly, and the games are very effective at providing satisfying victories and utterly painful losses. The series is created by a sports psychologist, so character relationships and psychology are quite prominent and are, imo, its best parts. The slice-of-life scenes are really wonderful, too!

Also the series is gay as heck.

Slam Dunk
A classic.

Touch

Yowamushi Pedal
Yowamushi Pedal is the story of Onoda Sakamichi, a anime Otaku whose weekly 90km roundtrips to Akihabara on his childhood single-speed bicycle turn out to be the bicycle equivalent of training at 100 times Earth's gravity. He's a powerful climber, and is quickly impressed into the Sohoku High Bicycle team. This show owns. the characters are fun, and you see how hard they train and work to become really good bicyclists. The entire last half of the first season and all of the second season cover one three day race. 41 episodes covering a single race! You see the fight for every stage, the thrill of the breakaway, the terror of being swallowed by the pack, the sorrow of a team member dropping out, the determination to go on, all of the excitement of bicycle racing is here!

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The OP is pretty sparse right now, so if there's a sports anime you think should be there, right a paragraph explaining why it's good, and I'll put it in

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

you're missing the classics

aim for the ace!!

slam dunk!!!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Argona posted:

you're missing the classics

aim for the ace!!

slam dunk!!!

Unfortunately, I haven't seen those, I wouldn't know what to say about them.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm three episodes into Bbay Steps, and it's not bad. I like the idea of a Main Character who's starting from a complete beginner, and genuinely has no natural talent or flair for the sport. I hope Natsu stays the superior player for the bulk of the series. It's neat to have a female player be so much better than the main character and be his inspiration.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm looking forward to Battery and Cheer Boys a whole lot, and had originally put Days on my to-watch list but read a few chapters of the manga and it didn't really grab me.

It's still a ways away but All Out!! might be worth a mention in the upcoming anime list.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm looking forward to Battery and Cheer Boys a whole lot, and had originally put Days on my to-watch list but read a few chapters of the manga and it didn't really grab me.

It's still a ways away but All Out!! might be worth a mention in the upcoming anime list.

It's a season away, I'll put in info when we're closer or there's a PV out.

I'm four episodes into Baby Steps. They've put enough goofiness in to convince me that Takuma isn't just going to be Sasuke, and I'm excited to see what this chick's deal is.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

baby steps, touch, one outs,

where are they???

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Smoking Crow posted:

baby steps, touch, one outs,

where are they???

I'll admit, I'm probably not the best person to start a sports anime thread, as I've seen so few. I just wanted a place to talk about sports anime. I'll start adding things to the OP as people recommend them.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The following is a list of all the sports anime you may talk about in this thread:
  1. All the sports anime
I know the OP isn't quite as comprehensive as some people would like but I hope that clears everything up.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Bad Seafood posted:

The following is a list of all the sports anime you may talk about in this thread:
  1. All the sports anime
I know the OP isn't quite as comprehensive as some people would like but I hope that clears everything up.

is akagi a sports anime?

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Smoking Crow posted:

is akagi a sports anime?

Yes.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The discussion of everything Fukumoto writes should be allowed in every thread where it is even remotely tangentially relevant.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've had Giant Killing saved for months and finally got around to starting it tonight. First impression was it was a fairly ugly show and got off to a slow start, then I marathoned 13 episodes in one sitting :iia:
Once all the characters' personalities came out it became really engaging and if I didn't have to sleep I'd still be watching. Other than One Outs this is the only other team sport show I'm aware of that isn't set in high school, and the pro setting is a nice difference since the players have different concerns (like being too old to keep up with the young guys) and the different support groups that surround the team getting some attention is nice as well. I like the old fans' rivalry with the new fans lol.

The little CG players when they zoom away from the field are hilarious though. It looks so bad but they're kind of adorable :3:

Speaking of adorable, Tsubaki is a precious cinnamon roll. His progress has been very fun to watch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno if baby steps should be discussable here. it isn't very gay at all, so i'm not sure if it even counts as a sports anime.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That would mean Adachi series wouldn't count either and that's hosed up

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I guess I could post about Adachi things in the romance series thread tho...

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
All of your recommendations have been added to the OP

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

I've had Giant Killing saved for months and finally got around to starting it tonight. First impression was it was a fairly ugly show and got off to a slow start, then I marathoned 13 episodes in one sitting :iia:
Once all the characters' personalities came out it became really engaging and if I didn't have to sleep I'd still be watching. Other than One Outs this is the only other team sport show I'm aware of that isn't set in high school, and the pro setting is a nice difference since the players have different concerns (like being too old to keep up with the young guys) and the different support groups that surround the team getting some attention is nice as well. I like the old fans' rivalry with the new fans lol.

The little CG players when they zoom away from the field are hilarious though. It looks so bad but they're kind of adorable :3:

Speaking of adorable, Tsubaki is a precious cinnamon roll. His progress has been very fun to watch.

Giant Killing is easily the best football anime/manga. It's still unrealistic but I love how difficult it makes the matches feel: there aren't any anime superpowers, just scheming and psychology. It's clear that the author is a fan of a struggling club because he completely gets it. Much more interesting than the plethora of media about prodigal kids.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I finished watching it today and it really was great. I'm gonna hop into the manga where it left off, seems like the adaption was pretty close judging from the chapters I skimmed that were in the anime. I appreciate the anime trying to keep the art style but it really didn't do it justice, the feeling when I opened up the manga and how much more fitting the art style was had a big impact and I'm kinda glad I watched it before I looked at it.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

Giant Killing is easily the best football anime/manga. It's still unrealistic but I love how difficult it makes the matches feel: there aren't any anime superpowers, just scheming and psychology. It's clear that the author is a fan of a struggling club because he completely gets it. Much more interesting than the plethora of media about prodigal kids.

I loved Giant Killing too tbf. The protagonist is basically a slightly less unhinged Jose Mourinho.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Unfortunately the manga can feel a bit slow paced since single matches often stretch over multiple issues. I think there have been over 100 chapters and the season isn't over yet. I've been reading about the same match since the start of the year...

The art style is really kinetic and I think the characters have a lot of personality in the way they "move" on the page. Reminds me a bit of the artist who does You Are the Ref.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yay I found my favorite track from the soundtrack - Zunousen is the name of it for when that video gets deleted so I can find it again
(mostly I just like the part that starts at 40 seconds in, gets in my head like crazy)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I appreciate the fact that the main antagonist in yowamushi pedal is a literal monster.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I really like OverDrive. It's a cycling anime but the main character starts from "I don't know how to even drive a bicycle" and I feel it was slightly more realistic in what such a person can actually accomplish in a "pro"-race even after training like in Yowapeda etc.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I almost never watch actual sports, but for some reason cannot get enough of sports anime.

Started watching Kuroko's Basketball in the last couple of weeks, blown through nearly 40 episodes in that time. It's hilariously over the top at times, has some amazing engrish, and shares some of the things I like about Haikyuu.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really enjoyed Kuroko's Basketball but got bogged down with it toward the end and never finished the third season. The second season was the best for me, mostly for the side plot with Kyoshi -- he ended up being one of my favorite characters and his arc was a really good, pure sports story and I thought would have made an excellent show all by itself, better than the main plot by far. I think once that was over and it got into the flashback stuff of season 3 I just didn't care about the Generation of Miracles that much in comparison and lost interest in continuing.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Kurokos Basketball stinks! Every match takes a million chapters and every character looks the same! Screw you!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is a basketball manga that spends way too much time on basketball. that's a high scoring game, so showing each and every point is just tedious.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Well, I barely read any manga, but I can imagine how KB could be tedious in that format. Haikyuu spent a season on a single match (or it seemed like it, at least) and I dig it.

What are the shows you folks are watching where the sport is less emphasised than other elements?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ping Pong!!!!!!!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

CuLT posted:

Well, I barely read any manga, but I can imagine how KB could be tedious in that format. Haikyuu spent a season on a single match (or it seemed like it, at least) and I dig it.

What are the shows you folks are watching where the sport is less emphasised than other elements?

Free

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Oh yeah! I lost interest in that during season two for some reason, though I did like the first season.

I should probably give Ping Pong a look in. Slipped out of my queue at some point.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
REAL is a good manga about wheelchair basketball. Its not anime, I know

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

Ping Pong!!!!!!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I've been watching Major and I'm digging it so far. These opening episodes are like a single dad series, just that in this case the dad also plays baseball. The protagonist is only 5 years old at this point so while we see that he loves baseball and has a lot of potential, for now it cuts to the baseball dad for the sports action.

It's a shame the single dad aspect is presumably not going to last very long because the OP has some uh, very blatant imagery to say the least.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I looked into watching that for some dad feels but spoiled myself on what happens so I'm probably never going to watch it now lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I looked into watching that for some dad feels but spoiled myself on what happens so I'm probably never going to watch it now lol

Yeah I get the feeling that since the very first OP hints at it in at least 4 different ways it's not gonna be long before he's out of the picture. It's a cool aspect of the show but with how strongly the spoiler is being pushed I definitely wouldn't recommend it to anyone for the dad aspect alone.

It's a nice element to have in the show but what I'm mainly interested in is seeing time progress. I love that sort of thing so knowing that there's going to be a lot of episodes spent on every part of the protagonist's life from age 5 to however old he is when he reaches the end of his pro career will definitely keep me motivated.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Oofuri is my fav. sports anime, so hopefully we can have it up in the OP too?

Ookiku Furikabutte

After a torrid and confidence-crushing middle school baseball experience where he was constantly and solely blamed for his previous team's losses, Mihashi Ren decided to give up the sport upon joining high school. Having been given the mound due to nepotism (his grandfather owns the middle school he attended) and refusing to give it up to a much more talented teammate, Mihashi decided he was unfit and and unworthy to continue playing. However, he was roped into his high school team as the club's only pitcher, as his teammates - all fellow first years - sought to establish themselves as a newly formed team amidst some of the biggest schools in the Saitama region. Mihashi quickly becomes a key part of the team due to his pin-point accuracy, which he picked up from extensive isolated practice, but his strategic knowledge is borderline non-existent due to his lack of experience within a strong battery previously. This is taken advantage of by his new partner Takaya Abe, who is one of the most cunning battery leaders in the region, though he has negative battery experiences of his own. The series follows Mihashi as he tries to overcome his crippling lack of self confidence, with the help of a really cool and supportive group of teammates and staff, and Nishiura's development as an inexperienced team - making use of its few strong points against much more capable opponents in strategically and psychologically engaging matches.

Oofuri is a fantastic series that is very much along the same vein as Haikyuu!!, with many wonderful characters who are lovely and cool and great. You really become attached to the main cast quite quickly, and the games are very effective at providing satisfying victories and utterly painful losses. The series is created by a sports psychologist, so character relationships and psychology are quite prominent and are, imo, its best parts. The slice-of-life scenes are really wonderful, too!

Also the series is gay as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I'm looking forward to All Out!!, but until they make the cricket show I don't think there'll be a sports anime I like more than Chihayafuru.

• Locked thread