Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm using it right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe posted:

Windows 10 is loving Smooth

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

triple sulk posted:

i'm using it right now

who would be dumb enough to use anything else?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

Windows has the most robust library of software by a wide margin, and the best hardware performance. All cross compatible programs work best on Windows, anyways. Not only that, but Windows 10 is the second best looking OS, behind only anything running Gnome 3.

ive never seen a more wrong post in my life

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i have a mid 2012 mac mini lying around, i should find something to do with it

it has a dvd drive, maybe install freebsd on it and make it a headless server?

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Shaggar posted:

the start button works fine

it works so great that ms decided to eliminate it in the followup release to the most popular windows version since xp lmao

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Steve would never let this happen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
the forum shows that there's a new post by error1 in this thread but i only see zdr :tinfoil:

e: nvm there it is

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
kick it in the dick

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

online friend posted:

i have a mid 2012 mac mini lying around, i should find something to do with it

it has a dvd drive, maybe install freebsd on it and make it a headless server?

my 2011 mini doesn't have a dvd drive wtf

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for less than the price of a mini you can make a massive desktop pc

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my sister did that

piece of poo poo was broken as gently caress within a score of fortnights

had to pay $259 to have it fixed.

then she forgot to enable the anti malware or some poo poo and now it's a whole different kind of hosed.

I lol'd at my sister and said that classic line

"get a Mac" :xd:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

handsome rural human sex having son of a farmer, laughing heartily: "lol get a Mac [mini]"

dumb rear end female sibling: "urghhhhhh durrrrrrr"

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

ur sis bought a poo poo compy and clicked on some fuckin malware advertisements. and then she gave sheep monies to some nonce to 'fix' it. where the gently caress were you during all this!!!!!! too good to cj her comp or teach her to use internet????

clueless farm man: "hurrrrrr drool i click my 1 button mouse, six apm, macs are for productivity i am a prosumer durr'

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

my sister did that

piece of poo poo was broken as gently caress within a score of fortnights

had to pay $259 to have it fixed.

then she forgot to enable the anti malware or some poo poo and now it's a whole different kind of hosed.

I lol'd at my sister and said that classic line

"get a Mac" :xd:

this

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
but did she get the mac??

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
nah she got ubuntu

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

when my sister in laws computer got hosed up because it was a pc I installed fedora on it that was two years ago or something and I lol'd at her

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
how tall is your mac mini stack?

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

Last Chance posted:

counterpoint: the start button doesn't even work in windows 10 and ms had to release a troubleshooting tool for of the most iconic buttons in tech

it's poo poo.

as someone who fixes Windows machines exclusively, this was a kick in the nuts when W10 was released. that and just about every machine upgraded to ten is marked at 100% HDD usage:classiclol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i got a late 09 imac for free not booting. put an SSD in it and took it from 4GB to 12GB and it owns.

what im saying is you should buy a mac mini bye

posting from the above rig right now. pretty needs suiting as far as posting is concerned

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so mac minis have bad rear end vidya cards right

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
They had "OK" nVidia laptop GPUs for a while, but now they use integrated Intel GPUs.

Seems like Tim Cook is trying to keep the product lines "differentiated", hence modern Macs mini only having dual core processors and no discrete graphics.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

What about Intel NUCs? Isn't that like the Mini, only better?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

no.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Mac mini is "meh" now, when it was once the plucky little computer that could

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it's fine.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe for bullshit farming tasks like "how much is that doggie in the window"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

so many farmers have that very question answered by a Mac mini I ain't even joking

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
imagine a beowulf cluster of macs mini

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Shaggar posted:

yeah why waste good hardware on osx

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

error1 posted:

Steve would never let this happen

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

off topic but

unless you want to look like a tool

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the mac mini sucks now, don't buy

i have the best mac mini ever made however (2012 quadcore server with 16 GB of ram)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

there's no reason to buy mac hardware. just hackintosh and dual boot windows. best of both worlds.

any mac laptops you should be getting through work anyways.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"Lemme use junk PC hardware for running macOS" - An idiot

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah osx makes whatever hardware it runs on junk.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a refurb mini with a ssd and it is extremely needs suiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
My 2011 iMac has an SSD now and it suits the hell out of my needs.

Wish I still had my old Mac mini too, though.

• Locked thread