Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

planned obsolescence done right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

wonder why they ditched power PC then huh?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

wonder why they ditched power PC then huh?

because the G6 would just melt through the computer and floor and keep sinking, china syndrome-style

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

atomicthumbs posted:

the power mac g5 "dual core" ran so hot it had to be watercooled and the water coolers were made by loving Delphi Automotive so they just leaked all over the computers and ruined them after a few years

to be fair, sealed loop liquid coolers weren't really a thing back then

also, it was only the "factory overclocked" models that were liquid cooled

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

mike12345 posted:

can you use the case for a pc? Or does it have some quirks/apple specifics

the power supply is pretty cool. it uses bus bars over to the motherboard instead of flimsy wires

well the G5 did anyway

get free macs from the garbage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl0e6PF5y5g

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
That guy is annoying if you've ever watched his vids

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
HOI!

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
his voice is grating as gently caress, but he knows his poo poo and his vids are very informative.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

"im tem!" - the Macintosh man whose Vids I ahve never watched

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
i like people who are enthusiastic about their subject

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

lol

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Ugh my 2010 macbook pro suddenly keeps crashing with the same GPU panic that was supposed to be fixed with a logic board swap, pretty sure Tim hit the self destruct button on this one so he could sell me a new 2016 macbook :mad:

At least it's still stable when forcing it to only use the integrated intel gfx

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

is sir jony ives still soft-retired or has he gone back to california?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Safe to buy?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

BONGHITZ posted:

Safe to buy?

Don't buy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

latex condoms, when properly used, can reduce the potential for transmission of fail aids

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its pronounced latecks

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lay tech

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
LaTeX when applied properly reduces the rate of stds to 0%

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

just buy the poo poo you obviously want stop being a big pussy baby bitch about it mate gently caress me days

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Just buy an Intel NUC, and put Elementary Linux on it. Same thing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Smythe posted:

Windows 10 is loving Smooth

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just buy the poo poo you obviously want stop being a big pussy baby bitch about it mate gently caress me days

harsh truths

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

error1 posted:

Ugh my 2010 macbook pro suddenly keeps crashing with the same GPU panic that was supposed to be fixed with a logic board swap, pretty sure Tim hit the self destruct button on this one so he could sell me a new 2016 macbook :mad:

At least it's still stable when forcing it to only use the integrated intel gfx

literally same. gfxcardstatus extended the usable life of my 2010 macbook pro by about 3 years after the nvidia graphics failed

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

C.H.O.M.E posted:

literally same. gfxcardstatus extended the usable life of my 2010 macbook pro by about 3 years after the nvidia graphics failed

had the same graphics problem with my 17" 2011 MBP

was on assignment in Spain. GPU failed. Needed the machine back working immediately, so had the logic board swapped at a local Apple dealer. ~850 Euro. Applecare reimbursed after some prodding.

got two more years out of that fix then hey! GPU failure again.

Learned of Apple's recall program on these machines. Took brokenMBP to the Store and was told that "yes your machine has a problem with the video card but it doesn't have the specific failure that our recall program is covering. Sorree! We can fix for $700" :rolleyes:

Stumbled across the "brickfence" repair service on eBay, decided to have give it a try.
$130 bucks and its working like new. (technically better than new since they reinstall the GPU with proper leaded solder as opposed to the brittle factory lead-free poo poo which starts cracking after tens of thousands of heatcycles ...)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

apparently the problem wasn't the lead-free solder itself, but the interaction of the under-fill material that wasn't properly matched to the lead free solder

also many people think it was the connection of the bga to the board, but apparently it was actually due to the connection of the die to the bga package. (I don't think the package to board connection even has under-fill on those boards) there are some fascinating deep dives into it if you look around

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

DuckConference posted:

apparently the problem wasn't the lead-free solder itself, but the interaction of the under-fill material that wasn't properly matched to the lead free solder

also many people think it was the connection of the bga to the board, but apparently it was actually due to the connection of the die to the bga package. (I don't think the package to board connection even has under-fill on those boards) there are some fascinating deep dives into it if you look around

the problem was, and is, that its a loving piece of poo poo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

wrong thread

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
It Just Works(tm). Stebe said so.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

get out

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

take it to the fruit stand

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mate gently caress me

intrigued

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

settle down mate

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Macs Mini are still unfathomably useless and bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I wish I could buy a Mac mini and a 5k Retina display. I use my home computer for like web stuff and email, I don't even need it to have any power

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what about dropping a sick build when the mood strikes

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Donald trump

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

Macs Mini are still unfathomably useless and bad

my 2011 mac mini is great

but the current mac mini is a definite DONT BUY

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Once they went back to using Core 2 Duos or whatever the gently caress they are, with crappy integrated graphics and soldered on RAM, there was no longer any reason to buy a Mac Mini. So, post-2012 Mac Minis are useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I am perfectly happy with my 2011 Mac mini. it does what I require it to do.

• Locked thread