Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zzulu posted:

The difference between Sweden and Denmark is that Denmark makes weird red sausages, which is some sort of witchcraft
:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Beeswax posted:

When foreigners ask me about the difference between Sweden and Denmark I usually say that Danes are like Swedes but without the need to seem cool. They proudly listen to ska or rockabilly. They smoke indoors and pee outdoors. Even their cute pixie librarian women types make jokes where the punchline is "pus-filled vagina sores". A refreshingly uncool people.

* I'm not saying my view of Danes comes exclusively from late nights on Istedgade/Nørreport/generally wandering around central Cph but...

This adds up I’m always amazed when visiting Copenhagen by how early 2000’s hiphop fashion has just chugged along, undisturbed and unchanging, for 20 years. Kids still walk around like they’d just fell out of a Feven or Rusiak music video.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Beeswax posted:

Danes are like Swedes but without the need to seem cool. They proudly listen to ska or rockabilly.

lilljonas posted:

This adds up I’m always amazed when visiting Copenhagen by how early 2000’s hiphop fashion has just chugged along, undisturbed and unchanging, for 20 years. Kids still walk around like they’d just fell out of a Feven or Rusiak music video.

Maybe it is the proximity to Germany that is responsible. Germany focuses all its cool in Berlin and as a result the rest of the country is shamelessly uncool and the radio is always playing music 25 years behind the curve.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Falukorv is great because it's a working class garbage staple that's like 30% meat and 70% cardboard. Nationalists act like the falukorv is the pinnacle of Swedish high culture (which it is but not in a good way)

Now the EU wants to let anyone make falukorv and nationalists lose their poo poo because they think the EU will lower the high standards set so far. Never mind that you couldn't get any less meat into falukorv without reclassifying it as office supplies.

Katt fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 22, 2021

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Katt posted:

Falukorv is great because it's a working class garbage staple that's like 30% meat and 70% cardboard. Nationalists act like the falukorv is the pinnacle of Swedish high culture (which it is but not in a good way)

Now the EU wants to let anyone make falukorv and nationalists lose their poo poo because they think the EU will lower the high standards set so far. Never mind that you couldn't get any loss meat into falukorv without reclassifying it as office supplies.

Oh no imagine if anyone produce a similar sausage with the high meat ratio of... 58%? and sell it to me oh nooooo

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Falukorv is going to end up like lasagne-gate where they dilute it so much with horse meat and then reduce the meat quality so far that it accidentally turns vegetarian.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Katt posted:

Now the EU wants to let anyone make falukorv

What?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

https://www.dn.se/sverige/eu-beslut-kan-hota-falukorvens-framtid/

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

EU is looking at removing the weakest of the three types of regional restrictions to what you can call foodstuff:

https://www.atl.nu/lantbruk/falukorven-kan-forlora-sitt-skydd/

Basically they'll keep the ones that are locked to a region, so you can't call your sparkling wine champagne or your ham parma if your factory is not located there. But the limitations that are just a specific recipe might be removed, so you can make falukorv and flavour it with curry and ginger to your heart's content without being chased by the EU sausage police or something, I dunno. It's not like Swedish falukorv is produced in Falun these days.

E: I checked, and the bar is already incredibly low so if anyone is making a fuss about it you know immediately that they are either dumb as nails or haven't checked facts.

"Only potato flour may be used as a binding agent, and the amount of meat may not fall short of 45%, although most brands of falukorv have a significantly higher meat percentage."

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 22, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
A cake is a "binding agent" for frosting.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The second food item that might lose it's protection is the hushållsost, basically cheese made for children who don't like the taste or cheese. A tough blow to svenne culture.

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Dont u dare talk poo poo about my hushållsost :colbert:

I will die on this hill

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

lilljonas posted:

The second food item that might lose it's protection is the hushållsost, basically cheese made for children who don't like the taste or cheese. A tough blow to svenne culture.

When I was a kid I used to take a knife and slice one of those cartoon triangle shapes out of our cheese block and then put grillkrydda on it and eat it. If I was feeling fancy I'd microwave it briefly.

Mom would open the fridge and our hushållsost would look like this.

Katt fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 22, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I need to try that

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I also made my own hot sauce by mixing ketchup and grillkrydda and putting it on stuff and it was amazing.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
First they came for the hushållsost
Then they came for the Gorbys
Then they came for hawaiipizza and I died.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
"original" swedish food is complete trash

Is there any good scandinavian food

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yes

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

give me herring and potato or give me death

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Syrliga isterband

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Äggost

Filmjölk

Prästost

I like dairy :colbert:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

Kebabpizza and smörgåstårta are the pinnacles of international culture.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Don't forget banana and egg kaviar.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

Collapsing Farts posted:

Yes it is very good if you know how to cook

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Oh oh! Tjälknöl!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Ok as a filthy brown these are the “””””Swedish””””” foods I like:
Semla
Kalops
Unnecessarily small potatoes that aren’t fingerlings
Knäckebröd
beets everywhere. big fan of this.
Regular rear end kebabrulle WITHOUT feferoni o gurka (gently caress feferoni)
Is pizzasallad Swedish? Idk but it owns
Chokladboll and especially when I look someone in the eye when ordering one, the fear adds a zest
Real talk lussekatt with a nice coffee is weird divine pleasure that I’ve finally learned to enjoy
OLW dill and cream chips (I have to be obliterated drunk)
Varm o kall
Inbakadlax holy poo poo it’s so good
Janssons frestelse

Foods that are possibly trash:
Lakrits anything and anything that hides that poison in
Smörgåstårta is something as a concept I’m fine with but execution makes me sick. Like it straight up looks like it could be buried in aspic to shield us from the sadness.
Ham, but I just hate ham and most pork
Swedish “””””taco”””””
Julmust
Falukorv

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

lilljonas posted:

That's just havarti though, isn't it?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Speaking of Lakrits. A friends family loves it. His wife makes kakrits whipped cream and then adds that to a ton of stuff she bakes. She also bakes lakrits maräng.

Edit: I have to admit that semla probably redeems Swedish culture as a whole.

https://twitter.com/powerkingen/status/1363886060430913537?s=20

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Raggmunk is the poo poo. Or maybe its the bacon that does it. Also pea soup and pancakes.

Too bad thats like 2/5 of the weekly menu of ye generic lunch restaurant.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Raggmunk is the poo poo. Or maybe its the bacon that does it. Also pea soup and pancakes.

Too bad thats like 2/5 of the weekly menu of ye generic lunch restaurant.

Throw in Wallenbergare and Schnitzel and you got 5/5 covered in the pandemic era lunch menu.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Collapsing Farts posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Katt posted:

Edit: I have to admit that semla probably redeems Swedish culture as a whole.
Maybe if it was a Swedish invention.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Collapsing Farts posted:

Flygande Jakob

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I need to know what Danes think of Norwegian nature. I grew up in a nice little bygd nestled in between high valleys and mountains. Whenever I'm in Denmark I cant help but feel slightly lost and exposed without hills around me. How do you flat-landers feel when in the more mountainous parts of Norway?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's really pretty.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Stereotypically, Danes enjoy driving their campers and mobile homes up here, but struggle when they come to any kind of terrain that isn't flat with roads that go straight.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Conversely; I grew up on the middle-western coast of Norway but now live near Oslo. For the first several years (and even still, sometimes) I struggled a bit because of finding myself in a place where you can't immediately tell roughly where you are simply by scanning the horizon and seeing what the mountains look like.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Flygande Jakob

There we go, close the thread.

teen witch posted:

Foods that are possibly trash:
Swedish “””””taco”””””

UK-invention actually.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Same, Toronto, CN Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GyverMac posted:

I need to know what Danes think of Norwegian nature. I grew up in a nice little bygd nestled in between high valleys and mountains. Whenever I'm in Denmark I cant help but feel slightly lost and exposed without hills around me. How do you flat-landers feel when in the more mountainous parts of Norway?
You mean the land of looming terrors?

But seriously, I do get why you'd feel exposed, because mountains/valleys do create a sorta snug atmosphere in my experience. I do have to wonder though how you become famous mariners with a fear of flat terrain! Perhaps this anxiety drove you across the sea at great speeds so you could return to the loving embrace of your mountain daddies as quickly as possible.