Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

"original" swedish food is complete trash

Is there any good scandinavian food

Any food you can eat with lingonberry jam is good Swedish food.
Fläskpannkaka
Blodkorv
Palt
Isterband
Raggmunk
Kroppkaka
Köttbullar med potatismos (traditional Swedish food according to IKEA )
Too bad Swedish food is so much loving potatoes.

Cardiac fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Brændende Kærlighed.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Tunnbröd is the stuff imo.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rust Martialis posted:

Brændende Kærlighed.
:denmark: This is what peak integration looks like. :denmark:

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

But with more pork.

I want to try his pork kebab/bernaise/fries durumrulle.

More seriously, smoked fish of all kinds are very Scandinavian and very good. Also rugbrød (no loving sugar).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

:denmark: This is what peak integration looks like. :denmark:
Rust Martialis is right, though. Brændende Kærlighed is loving great.

Bøfsandwich is also very good and delicious.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Rust Martialis is right, though. Brændende Kærlighed is loving great.
I'm not disagreeing, it's my favorite dish, and the peak of Danish culinary culture After you've accepted it into your arteries, any further attempts at integration will only diminish you as a human.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Forloren Pindsvin !

med Faxe Condi
Beauvais asier
Irmas brun sauce

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

THE BAR posted:

That's just havarti though, isn't it?

Havarti is an explosion of flavour in comparison to hushållsost.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BonHair posted:

More seriously, smoked fish of all kinds are very Scandinavian and very good.
This.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
SD-tacos is best

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Potatoes rule. Healthy and environmentally friendly.

When I was a kid my parents sometimes bought cheese they called "fotsvettsost", I think it was danish. Don't know what kind of cheese it really was.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Potatoes rule. Healthy and environmentally friendly.

When I was a kid my parents sometimes bought cheese they called "fotsvettsost", I think it was danish. Don't know what kind of cheese it really was.

I think this is a pretty common term for Gamle Ole and similar extra matured (and extra smelly) cheese types.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You mean the land of looming terrors?

But seriously, I do get why you'd feel exposed, because mountains/valleys do create a sorta snug atmosphere in my experience. I do have to wonder though how you become famous mariners with a fear of flat terrain! Perhaps this anxiety drove you across the sea at great speeds so you could return to the loving embrace of your mountain daddies as quickly as possible.

Unlike the danes we never had much in the way of arable land, so i guess hunger drove us out across the great scary blue flat

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
My dudes have you tried adding some coriander to your svennetacos? You won't believe your tiny minds

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
But the essential kryddmix is already full of it! All one could ever need

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Remember that time a party leader, against the advice of everyone around her, decided to feud over a housing purchase? Who then proceeded to go on Facebook to blast her counterparts lawyer?

https://twitter.com/dagensnyheter/status/1364331705335709702

:munch:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

You guys talking poo poo about lakrits? In MY thread?! :getout:

Anecdotal, but I've found that enjoying lakrits is very scandinavian. People outside of scandinavia seem to absolutely hate it, it seems to be quite an acquired taste

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Mmm Lakrits, actually the dutch are the ones eating the most liquorice in Europe. But they are p much scandinavian.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

You haven't really had lakrids until you've had one of these. I always bring a bag with me on trips abroad, both for my crippling homesickness and to see foreigners' reaction when offered one.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

You haven't really had lakrids until you've had one of these. I always bring a bag with me on trips abroad, both for my crippling homesickness and to see foreigners' reaction when offered one.

More like

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I can’t eat it, I love it so much that I can’t control myself and eat all the lakrits available. Then my blood pressure goes through the roof and I start to the pounding of my heart:(

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Zudgemud posted:

More like

:hmmyes:

fnox
May 19, 2013

You know what was certainly disappointing? Being told all my life that Venezuelan chocolate is the elite, the best chocolate in the world and that everyone acknowledges that fact. Then I came to Sweden, tried a Marabou bar and liked it way more than anything I've had before. I know it's all Mondelez nowadays but if Swedes have got something actually right, culinary speaking, it is in terms of desserts.

McCloud posted:

You guys talking poo poo about lakrits? In MY thread?! :getout:

Anecdotal, but I've found that enjoying lakrits is very scandinavian. People outside of scandinavia seem to absolutely hate it, it seems to be quite an acquired taste

Hate lakrits. This may be just my brain rejecting the taste due to some bad, bad Anís Cartujo hangovers.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

:colbert:

Konec Hry
Jul 13, 2005

too much love will kill you

Grimey Drawer

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

fnox posted:

You know what was certainly disappointing? Being told all my life that Venezuelan chocolate is the elite, the best chocolate in the world and that everyone acknowledges that fact. Then I came to Sweden, tried a Marabou bar and liked it way more than anything I've had before. I know it's all Mondelez nowadays but if Swedes have got something actually right, culinary speaking, it is in terms of desserts.

Next, try some Norwegian milk chocolate. Specifically from Freia (yes, "same" as Marabou, but they have their own production facilities and the process they use is ever so slightly different.)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like this lakrits (finnish kind, not salmiakki), but I got high BP so I don't really eat it.

And the black licorice versions of Hallonbåtar is real nice.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Katt posted:

Falukorv is great because it's a working class garbage staple that's like 30% meat and 70% cardboard. Nationalists act like the falukorv is the pinnacle of Swedish high culture (which it is but not in a good way)

Now the EU wants to let anyone make falukorv and nationalists lose their poo poo because they think the EU will lower the high standards set so far. Never mind that you couldn't get any less meat into falukorv without reclassifying it as office supplies.

Falukorv was invented by german engineers for swedish miners, kolbulle is another of those pancake variants for dirt poor woodworkers. That said the basic formula of Falukorv lends itself to interesting seasoning etc and we've figured out decent ways to use it. One good thing about swedish cuisinne is that it's definately the culinary heritage of workers and farmers that is the most prominent. The fact that stuff like Fläsklägg (pork hind leg) can cost you a decent penny in a stockholm restaurant is kinda funny when only 10-20 years ago urban upper middle class people shunned swedish food like it's the plague and couldnt wait to shovel down bastardised indian food or cheap sushi etc.

lilljonas posted:

EU is looking at removing the weakest of the three types of regional restrictions to what you can call foodstuff:

https://www.atl.nu/lantbruk/falukorven-kan-forlora-sitt-skydd/

Basically they'll keep the ones that are locked to a region,
so you can't call your sparkling wine champagne or your ham parma if your factory is not located there. But the limitations that are just a specific recipe might be removed, so you can make falukorv and flavour it with curry and ginger to your heart's content without being chased by the EU sausage police or something, I dunno. It's not like Swedish falukorv is produced in Falun these days.

Västerbottensost won't be toutched then.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 24, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I am quite fond of that extremely salty chocolate you can get in Norway. Both because it's a real good treat, but also because the saltiness means I can only eat a couple pieces at a time before losing my appetite for it, whereas I have to struggle to keep myself from just consuming any other chocolate I get my hands on in a single sitting.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Falukorv was invented by german engineers for swedish miners, kolbulle is another of those pancake variants for dirt poor woodworkers. That said the basic formula of Falukorv lends itself to interesting seasoning etc and we've figured out decent ways to use it. One good thing about swedish cuisinne is that it's definately the culinary heritage of workers and farmers that is the most prominent. The fact that stuff like Fläsklägg (pork hind leg) can cost you a decent penny in a stockholm restaurant is kinda funny when only 10-20 years ago urban upper middle class people shunned swedish food like it's the plague and couldnt wait to shovel down bastardised indian food or cheap sushi etc.

They should be made to pay for what they did to tacos alone. I know that the whole taco fredag concept was invented by Santa Maria, but did they really have to top them with loving cucumber?

I saw someone similarly butcher arepas in a Malmö food festival, in a manner completely incomprehensible to me as just about anything goes well with arepas. Everything but crunchy, bland fillings. So of course they picked cucumber and lettuce to go with whatever protein they put in there.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

fnox posted:

They should be made to pay for what they did to tacos alone. I know that the whole taco fredag concept was invented by Santa Maria, but did they really have to top them with loving cucumber?

I saw someone similarly butcher arepas in a Malmö food festival, in a manner completely incomprehensible to me as just about anything goes well with arepas. Everything but crunchy, bland fillings. So of course they picked cucumber and lettuce to go with whatever protein they put in there.

Man I was raised first on chicken on fridays (kungsfågel commercials) and then Tacos on friday.

Whatever happens, don't tell the italians what we put on pizzas.

Anyway, bourgeoisie Swedes love terrible fusion food. I once had Sjömansbiff crossed with some sort of turkish greek Moussaka, it was just awful. Atleast know which food traditions complement one another before you try to kitbash a main course, I've mixed in Belgian stuff in that particular dish before and it worked great.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Västerbottensost won't be toutched then.

Nope, afaik the only two Swedish food items in that category are hushållsost and falukorv.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

fnox posted:

Finally, a person of taste. If someone can photoshop the Italian Americans seeing pineapple on a pizza with the needful I’ll buy you a beer*

*it’ll be a poo poo one

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Add a dollop of Béa, and ANYTHING is now Swedish haute cuisine

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Cold served Bearnaise, always cold served :france:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Government buckled under pressure and is now ready to OPEN 'ER UP while R is 1.1 for wild type and 1.2 for B.1.1.7., but the opposition doesn't think they're willing to sacrifice enough people and wants to OPEN 'ER UP MORE.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Öppnauppdet? öppnadet?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

teen witch posted:

Öppnauppdet? öppnadet?

ÅBNDENOP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008