Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Feliday Melody posted:

The Swedish military is currently working on an AK6 with 6,5 mm (I believe) ammunition

6.5mm mauser is a great midrange round with good stopping power, trajectory and low recoil. It is the lowest calibre we can legally hunt moose with here.

Feliday Melody posted:

The AK4s advantage is in its reliability and massive stopping power. The problem is that it's cumbersome and has a low ammo capacity. It's superior for defence, but if you're jumping off a landing craft and running up a hill, then it quickly becomes very heavy.

Which is why it makes sense as a platoon marksmanship rifle atleast in its current form, as opposed to standard issue. There are ways to make lighter versions of 7.62 guns nowadays anyway. The fact that we don't have anything between PSG90 and an AK5 is a bit odd given how much more common semi-auto marksmanship rifles of 7.62 calibre have become.

Besides, the AK5 isnt that much lighter than an AK4 anyway. It is a notouriously heavy 5.56mm weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

6.5mm mauser is a great midrange round with good stopping power, trajectory and low recoil. It is the lowest calibre we can legally hunt moose with here.

Which is why it makes sense as a platoon marksmanship rifle atleast in its current form, as opposed to standard issue. There are ways to make lighter versions of 7.62 guns nowadays anyway. The fact that we don't have anything between PSG90 and an AK5 is a bit odd given how much more common semi-auto marksmanship rifles of 7.62 calibre have become.

Besides, the AK5 isnt that much lighter than an AK4 anyway. It is a notouriously heavy 5.56mm weapon.

Ironically, the AK5s are starting to suffer irreparable structural failure due to age. While the AK4 keeps chugging along.

I have very little faith in the AK6 because at the rate the Swedish military acquires new hardware. It's going to take 30 years before everyone has one, and there will have been a shortage of ammo and parts all through this adventure that impacts training with it.

I still think the AK4 is an excellent weapon for the home guard, since it excels in defensive roles. A platoon of home guard riflemen with a few duffle bags of magazines can lay down enormous firepower and even reliable disable light armoured vehicles and helicopters.

I just wish they could supply more AP ammo because that is amazing. But again. The only thing the Swedish military has in good supply is things it bought 40+ years ago.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Just equip everyone with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Iapo5GXVc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTi_KvzNEPs

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 23, 2022

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
On an unrelated note:

https://twitter.com/pavloscavelier/status/1484566319886446593

S at 30%
V at 17%

Man I cannot explain how good this feels. Having grown up with Göran Persson only to see the city destroyed by Filippa Reinfeldt, I hated Stockholm Politics. 10kr subway tickets was nice.

The blue zit that is Stockholm will go red for the first time in a very long time if this keeps up. A nice, clean, RED electoral map.

Also, MP at 3.9%. Turns out Helldén is not very popular.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Threadkiller Dog posted:

I had never heard of Torekov until this lady at work started about her new architect designed house there, and its so incredible and you know its just next door to Hugh Grants house there, and actually i actually said hello to Hugh at the beach last month. Yes nuveu riche dumping grund indeed.

I said like its sounded like a town name in eastern europe and left it at that. Its probably an awesome place.

Torekov is a surreal place. If you go there in Summer you'll see lots of people in bathrobes. Like, in the shops, at the restaurants, etc. Who are these The Dude wannabes? Noveau riche Stockholmers who wants to show that they are so god drat rich that they can afford a houses close enough to the beach to walk directly from home to the beach and just "happened" to swing by Ica on the way to pick up some milk. That is, the region where you can buy a vacation house for 10+ million SEK. And then it got worse, and people started to PRETEND to be noveau riche, so they'll park their car and walk around town in bathrobes to look like they are rich enough to take a stroll from their house to the beach. It's insane.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 23, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Charles Whitman used 6mm Remington in the Texas tower shooting. Lee Harvey Oswald used 6.5mm Carcano to kill JFK. Do any of you people know where these individuals learned how to shoot? In the Marines! Outstanding! Those individuals showed what one motivated Marine and his 6-6.5mm caliber rifle can do!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

On an unrelated note:

https://twitter.com/pavloscavelier/status/1484566319886446593

S at 30%
V at 17%

Man I cannot explain how good this feels. Having grown up with Göran Persson only to see the city destroyed by Filippa Reinfeldt, I hated Stockholm Politics. 10kr subway tickets was nice.

The blue zit that is Stockholm will go red for the first time in a very long time if this keeps up. A nice, clean, RED electoral map.

Also, MP at 3.9%. Turns out Helldén is not very popular.

That's... very surprising, I can't remember when I last saw anything like it. On the other hand, Strockholm has been a showcase of bad public management, waste and corruption for a pretty long time now.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Covid and Svenonius helped remind people that healthcare needs funding, and M ran the city at a 6bil surplus while people were dying in droves.

That's what I think anyway.

C and L are also down massively, as are KD. Voters are not fleeing to other right wing parties.

I mean the left as a whole is growing again, this is not V cannibalizing S voters either. It is mostly libby middle class people deciding not to vote for libertarian lunatics. That and alot of Syrians are voting for the first time aswell. I know atleast 5 ppl in my current Komvux class that will definately vote V or S, all came here in 2010--2015 ish.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

lilljonas posted:

That's... very surprising, I can't remember when I last saw anything like it. On the other hand, Strockholm has been a showcase of bad public management, waste and corruption for a pretty long time now.

While true, I can't help but think that most Stockholmers think "S government in Riksdagen means this is all their fault!" One can hope that these morons finally takes notice (one would think Nya Karolinska would've done it back in 2018 but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo).

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, the polls in Stockholm are very interesting and VBK noted this prior to Christmas.
One explanation is that the combination L+KD+C+M+MP was not particularly fun for anyone involved along with the blatant corruption of M in Stockholm.
Interesting that MP haven't been hit as hard.
Just don't expect these voters to be hardcore leftists, more likely it is a shift of inner-city liberals to the trendy political parties ( prior cases Fi, MP, C).
Last election S actually gained within this group and it is likely due to continue.

I foresee that the election this year is going to be a massive fight about inner city voters while leaving WO to SD in the country side.
Which basically means that S, V, C, MP will fight for the same voters.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Nenonen posted:

Charles Whitman used 6mm Remington in the Texas tower shooting. Lee Harvey Oswald used 6.5mm Carcano to kill JFK. Do any of you people know where these individuals learned how to shoot? In the Marines! Outstanding! Those individuals showed what one motivated Marine and his 6-6.5mm caliber rifle can do!

Almost every hunting range in Sweden has a moving moose target at the same 80 m distance Oswald shot Kennedy from.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Feliday Melody posted:

Uh, Russian drones are all over Swedish military installations and have been for a long while.

no they're not, lol. there may be a drone here and there that isn't just a trick of the light, but the russian involvement is about to the same degree as with the polish art sellers in the 80's, which is to say absolutely zero.

There have been a couple of incidents with idiot urbexers trying to get into active installations, though.

Feliday Melody posted:

5,56 is lighter and offers more mobility, but in the last few years the wisdom of such small ammunition is being questioned. It has such low stopping power that some targets can still keep fighting after being hit 3 times.

The Swedish military is currently working on an AK6 with 6,5 mm (I believe) ammunition
The next gen Swedish army rifles will almost certainly all be in 7.62 NATO, not a new caliber. In fact all Swedish army rifles (service rifle, DMR, sniper) are getting replaced and the new ones will be procured in cooperation with Finland. A new caliber is not really an option because of concerns about technical maturity (read: nobody wants some custom special snowflake cartridge, so it's gonna have to be American, but FMV thinks the US army's endless M16 replacement programs are going to continue to be boondoggles that drag out for 20 years and/or get cancelled, and I'd say that's probably an accurate assessment). Instead they're going back to 7.62, which is probably stupid because all of the rationales for it essentially boil down to "5.56 bad in Afghanistan", but in a war that isn't a variant of Bomb Useless Dirt volume of fire is everything. Also, both Swedish and especially Finnish infantry isn't very heavily mechanized, which means it doesn't really like open terrain, which means pretty short ranges, which means even less of an argument in favor of 7.62. What do I know, though.

In fact this has already started; the Finns just signed the contract for their new Sako DMR's and sniper rifles just before Christmas; introduction into service is slated for 2023 (and the rifles are appropriately designated M23). The Swedish army is currently testing this weapon but I suspect it's mostly a formality; FMV is on the record as saying that the primary alternative is to buy the same thing as the Finns, including accessories. There's nothing official about the new service rifle but I'd be very surprised if they pick anything other than this same rifle but with different optics. See also this post for some more background.

I guess if the US ever does settle on an intermediate cartridge that becomes the new standard we could always adopt that later; it's easier to adapt rifles to a smaller cartridge than to a bigger one. The ksp 58 was originally chambered for 6.5x55mm Swedish and was rebuilt to 7.62 NATO later.

shut up about guns, only turbonerds care

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 24, 2022

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

TheFluff posted:

no they're not, lol. there may be a drone here and there that isn't just a trick of the light, but the russian involvement is about to the same degree as with the polish art sellers in the 80's, which is to say absolutely zero.

We have briefings on this but I have no interest in debating this. So I will just settle for: hard disagree on all drone related points.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Feliday Melody posted:

We have briefings on this but I have no interest in debating this. So I will just settle for: hard disagree on all drone related points.

the military can be wrong about this, and there's several cases of recent historical precedent where they've done this exact same thing and internally made up an extremely detailed picture of threat that actually does not exist, so forgive me if I don't believe them when they cry wolf this time

Seriously, I've seen the internal ÖB-level memos about the Polish art sellers, they were completely 100% convinced it was an intelligence op/Spetsnaz planning. There were briefings about that too. There's absolutely zero evidence in Polish intelligence archives that anything of the sort ever existed though, and that's in spite of very extensive research. The military is very susceptible to mass delusions because of its tendency to reject outside points of view (nobody without access to classified info could have anything worthwhile so say etc), and especially so if it's a particularly small community like the Swedish military is.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 24, 2022

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Who knew it was MÖPs all the way down in this thread

Fake edit: still appreciate the posts :tipshat:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Beeswax posted:

Who knew it was MÖPs all the way down in this thread

Fake edit: still appreciate the posts :tipshat:

I've literally MÖP'ed so hard that Säpo had to text me and ask me to stop

(this is a true story, come to a Stockholm goon meet sometime if you want to hear the deets, it's in some respects even more ridiculous than it sounds)

e:

e2: to be absolutely clear here nothing of this was actually my fault and I have never been charged with or even been suspected of any crime. I'm just a nerd, not a spy.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 24, 2022

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Feliday Melody posted:

Superintendent Chalmer-ishly: May we see the briefings?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This is completely loving psychotic.

https://politiken.dk/indland/art8584581/Nu-%C3%A6ndres-reglerne-for-selvisolation-hvis-du-bliver-smittet-med-corona

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
So apparently due to the lower severity of omicron infection and the high level of vaccination and boosts in DK, quarantine restrictions can be loosened:

https://politiken.dk/indland/art8584581/Nu-%C3%A6ndres-reglerne-for-selvisolation-hvis-du-bliver-smittet-med-corona

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Feliday Melody posted:

5,56 is lighter and offers more mobility, but in the last few years the wisdom of such small ammunition is being questioned. It has such low stopping power that some targets can still keep fighting after being hit 3 times.
Stand over there and see how many hits of 5,5 you can take. I'll even let you wear SAPI.

Shooting a G3 once you've tasted actually decent ergonomics is such a PITA, it kicks like a loving mule, there's fuckall room for accessories, reloads on empty are a pain, the list goes on. It's a half decent SPR/DMR platform I guess.

The US are going through rifles trials right now and watching people shoot the contenders it's obvious they *also* kick like mules. 5,5 owns.

TheFluff posted:

it essentially boil down to "5.56 bad in Afghanistan"
It's mostly "5,56 isn't so good against russian plates". If you're going to shoot 7,62x51 that new DMR is a great way to do it tho. AR-style ergos, good LPVOs, etc.

TheFluff posted:

shut up about guns, only turbonerds care
no.

TheFluff posted:

They tried to get me to work for them once. I've never told anyone to gently caress off more politely.

Our older kid got covid from school for the second loving time last week. I want to kick someone in the teeth.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 24, 2022

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008

TheFluff posted:

(this is a true story, come to a Stockholm goon meet sometime if you want to hear the deets, it's in some respects even more ridiculous than it sounds)

e:

e2: to be absolutely clear here nothing of this was actually my fault and I have never been charged with or even been suspected of any crime. I'm just a nerd, not a spy.

Stockholm goon meets? I thought there were like 3 of us here on the site lol.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rust Martialis posted:

So apparently due to the lower severity of omicron infection and the high level of vaccination and boosts in DK, quarantine restrictions can be loosened:

Two very different approaches to presenting an article. :v:

All Swedes are Stockholmers.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

watch this space

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Yes, that's gotta be the reason, not that having 7.2% of the population concurrently, PCR-confirmed infected is essentially a less orderly, half-assed lockdown throwing a wrench in the gears of society. Also don't mind the deaths, long COVID, child hospitalisation increase, hospitalisations fast approaching last winter's peak pre-vaccines, or that positives on average are most infectious after the recommended isolation period. The second highest infection rate on the planet is good, actually, but we can do better. Gotta get that vaunted herd immunity that's definitely gonna crop up any day now that we're more than halfway through the Greek alphabet.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Yes, that's gotta be the reason, not that having 7.2% of the population concurrently, PCR-confirmed infected is essentially a less orderly, half-assed lockdown throwing a wrench in the gears of society. Also don't mind the deaths, long COVID, child hospitalisation increase, hospitalisations fast approaching last winter's peak pre-vaccines, or that positives on average are most infectious after the recommended isolation period. The second highest infection rate on the planet is good, actually, but we can do better. Gotta get that vaunted herd immunity that's definitely gonna crop up any day now that we're more than halfway through the Greek alphabet.
2024: The world finally adopts the Khmer alphabet for naming corona strains.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

We did it, folks.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

vvv Yeah, people can see your posts, you don't need to announce yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 24, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The guy who continually has to have explained to him how to read graphs has logged on.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

What the gently caress is with all infants getting covid?

Edit: or wait, is that a graph of hospitalised people in general, not just covid?

People, source your graphs for gently caress's sake.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 24, 2022

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Given the current situation, there's really only one cause of hospitalizations spiking.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

anatomi posted:

What the gently caress is with all infants getting covid?

Edit: or wait, is that a graph of hospitalised people in general, not just covid?

People, source your graphs for gently caress's sake.
I mean, given how much the graph spikes for babies, does it really matter? Either covid is going crazy, or something else is happening to put babies in the hospital at rates 10-50 greater than before.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Well, there's poo poo like RSV. I've no idea when it peaked but it might have contributed to the huge spike among toddlers.

Unless of course the graph specifically shows covid-related hospitalisations in which case this is all moot conjecture.

Point is, source your graphs and stats.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 24, 2022

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, given how much the graph spikes for babies, does it really matter? Either covid is going crazy, or something else is happening to put babies in the hospital at rates 10-50 greater than before.

Or people have been having fun during the pandemic and there's more babies in general... I don't really believe this ofc.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Kamrat posted:

Or people have been having fun during the pandemic and there's more babies in general... I don't really believe this ofc.
Birthrates have increased by a factor of 50. If nothing is done, Denmark will overtake Sweden within 5 years, and represent 50% of the total population of the Nordic Countries within 10. Truly the darkest of all futures.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

At least we'll all be the Happiest People on Earth™.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Could also be related to the nurse/midwife crisis/crises, if you want to get your tinfoil hat on.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I am in fact the opposite of a MÖP I think. I became a home guard medic because going into nursing at my age isn't much of an option. If things go as they should. We will never use our weapons, and I'm the opposite of giddy for weapon practise.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I can, and perhaps will, drunkenly puke on you in Stockholm C. Not a threat, just an opportunity.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

As someone with 2000 hours in Battlefield 4...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
In an incredible unexpected turn of events, the associate professor at Copenhagen Business School who wrote an antivaxx screed to a bunch of bachelor students when he canceled his macro-economic classes; because “there is no real difference between the corona pass and ww2 era nazi germany jew passes” and who doesn’t wear a mask because it’s a “dehumanizing symbol of submission”, is also the same guy who was using Jordan Peterson texts and “””””ideas””””” in his classes.

E: I’m assuming a bright future in liberal alliance is in the cards for him, maybe nye borgerlige, but he really needs to up his racism game. That bog standard sexist routine won’t cut it.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 24, 2022