Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

TheFluff posted:

in a war that isn't a variant of Bomb Useless Dirt

Literally the only type of war any western nation is invested in. If the Russians/Chinese/Americans decide to come for our oil or whatever we will surrender within 6 hours. Procuring for dumb proxy wars is the only thing that makes "sense".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

anatomi posted:

Well, there's poo poo like RSV. I've no idea when it peaked but it might have contributed to the huge spike among toddlers.

Unless of course the graph specifically shows covid-related hospitalisations in which case this is all moot conjecture.

Point is, source your graphs and stats.

SSI regional dashboard. It's COVID. Obviously. Curious how it isn't a news story literally anywhere.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/aa41b29149f24e20a4007a0c4e13db1d/page/Regionalt/

Here, let me make it easier:

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 25, 2022

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

SplitSoul posted:

SSI regional dashboard. It's COVID. Obviously. Curious how it isn't a news story literally anywhere.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/aa41b29149f24e20a4007a0c4e13db1d/page/Regionalt/

There's nothing obvious about a graph posted without complementary information or a link to the source. I'm not attacking you. It's just that even aside from all the disinformation going around there's no reason to not post the source (and thanks).

So RSV isn't a contributing factor — except maybe if there are co-infection dynamics at play. I don't think this was a problem last winter but the new variants are interesting.

In any case I agree that the rise is noteworthy. Maybe it's time to reconsider the narrative that a healthy child will never get severe symptoms (lol who am I kidding).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

You may have thought you wanted to avoid getting infected. You thought wrong.

https://politiken.dk/forbrugogliv/s...skritisk-sygdom

anatomi posted:

There's nothing obvious about a graph posted without complementary information or a link to the source.

It's obvious that there isn't some other mysterious reason for children being hospitalised, it's pretty unlikely to be anything but the highly infectious pathogen that's been allowed to run rampant in society.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 25, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

thotsky posted:

Literally the only type of war any western nation is invested in. If the Russians/Chinese/Americans decide to come for our oil or whatever we will surrender within 6 hours. Procuring for dumb proxy wars is the only thing that makes "sense".

Here's my mildly crackpot defense policy take: the military is never going to be used as intended (that is, to defend against an invasion), but it can still be useful. To be useful though we have to believe it could be used as intended. Procuring and planning for an invasion is thus productive, but if you ever actually have to use it then your defense policy has basically failed already. We have seen this happen in practice in e.g. WW2 Sweden, where the readiness of the military was a very important factor when the government was deciding which demands it dared say "no" to. A German invasion probably wasn't realistic in hindsight, but the Swedish government didn't know that at the time. In other words the military is sort of a diplomatic tool, but it doesn't work if you don't believe in it. It's a very weird situation.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

We have had an RSV wave going through south western Sweden this winter though, and a harsher seasonal influenza if I recall correctly. This along with the high priority in both testing and admission of infants in any case of non mild respiratory infection might very well be the reason for the spike. It tells us little about the specific severity of the disease if it's not somehow normalized against other pathogens.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zudgemud posted:

We have had an RSV wave going through south western Sweden this winter though, and a harsher seasonal influenza if I recall correctly. This along with the high priority in both testing and admission of infants in any case of non mild respiratory infection might very well be the reason for the spike. It tells us little about the specific severity of the disease if it's not somehow normalized against other pathogens.

South Africa documented a similar spike in hospitalisations for this age group with Omicron in summer. The graph concerns COVID-positive hospitalisations, but I guess they could be incidental, although it's probably not entirely risk-free for infants to be hospitalised with a systemic disease that causes potentially severe lingering symptoms, even if they thankfully haven't started dying in droves.

Also note for 80+ that spread in care homes is at its peak for the entire pandemic currently.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

SplitSoul posted:

It's obvious that there isn't some other mysterious reason for children being hospitalised, it's pretty unlikely to be anything but the highly infectious pathogen that's been allowed to run rampant in society.
What you think is likely or not doesn't change that the hospitalisation rate shown in that graph dramatically bucks the trend for this particular age group. I think that's reason enough to discuss whether there's something else/additional going on.

I'm not a virologist. I don't know what's more likely: that the spike is due to one of the new variants being unexpectedly nasty towards an age group that previously hasn't been at risk or due to something else, like a change in hospitalisation routine for toddlers or co-infection dynamics. Covid isn't the only pathogen in circulation that might surge as restrictions are loosened.

I don't think that's very mysterious — but I'm stupid and thankfully not in charge of the Danish equivalent of Folkhälsomyndigheten or anything else of importance.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 25, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

anatomi posted:

What you think is likely or not doesn't change that the hospitalisation rate shown in that graph dramatically bucks the trend for this particular age group. I think that's reason enough to discuss whether there's something else/additional going on.

(Discussing hospitalization for those who might not understand.)

The data from SSI is posted daily with links in the COVID thread. There is a higher incidence in 0-2 year olds than 3-5 year olds for example, even though both groups are basically unvaccinated. It's not a huge number of hospitalizations overall but the cohorts are small, so increased cases stand out.

Why are 0-2 year olds more affected than 3-5s? Dunno. And 5+ are even less affected.

pre:
Age	Cases		Hospital	ICU
00-02	26447		850		29	
03-05	55823		183		9	
06-09	165430		308		6		
10-15	104482		237		15
16-19	114453		546		21

Only 2 deaths in the whole 0-9 and 1 in 10-19 cohorts too.

If you're interested, come to the COVID thread. The hardcore doomers seem to be avoiding it with the new moderation policies when they are told to support their claims.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 25, 2022

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Thanks! If the doomers have chilled out I'll for sure check it out.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

There is a higher incidence in 0-2 year olds than 3-5 year olds for example

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Your graph is showing infection rate, while they were talking about hospitalization rate. I've been keeping an eye on the high 0-2 hospitalizations for the past few weeks, and wondering why nobody seems to be reporting on it when it is right there in the daily numbers screaming to be noticed.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Inferior Third Season posted:

Your graph is showing infection rate, while they were talking about hospitalization rate. I've been keeping an eye on the high 0-2 hospitalizations for the past few weeks, and wondering why nobody seems to be reporting on it when it is right there in the daily numbers screaming to be noticed.

I also would really like to see an explanation since hospitalization with COVID in Norway seems to mean treated with antivirals. I know neonates are coasting on maternal antibodies so maybe there's a protocol to more aggressively hospitalize the 0-2s? Maybe they get sicker, but they don't die?

Ed: just found this

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.17.21267350v1

"Children aged <2 years old appear to be over-represented among children admitted to hospital with acute symptoms of SARS-CoV-2 infection"

Yeah, infants have apparently been *always* at higher risk of hospitalization:

"Among the 346 COVID related admissions, 199 (57.5%) were emergency admissions with a primary diagnosis of U07.1/U07.2. Using the more specific definition, the COVID-19 related hospital admission rates were 107.0 (95% CI 80.4-142.4), 13.4 (9.0-19.8), 8.0 (5.6 – 11.7), 9.3 (6.3-13.6) and 27.7 (21.6-35.5) per 100,000 CYP years in age groups <1, 1-4, 5-11, 12-17 and 18-22 years respectively. "

So in Scotland the rates for infants under 1 year are much higher than for any other cohort. The reason nobody is shouting about this is quite possibly because it's not new.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 25, 2022

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

They've been ahead of the slightly older kids for a long while, which I just attributed to doctors being more cautious with newborns when it comes to hospital admissions.

But the hospitalization rate for all kids were well below the 80+ cohort until recently, and now the 0-2 range has shot out way ahead of every other group. Something has changed.

I didn't have luck finding a good time history of Danish COVID hospital admissions split by age range, so I it is mostly me mentally constructing it from the occasional snapshots I saw in the daily numbers I happened to look at over the past few months/years. I'll admit my brain is not exactly the gold standard of data retention, though.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Rust Martialis posted:

If you're interested, come to the COVID thread. The hardcore doomers seem to be avoiding it with the new moderation policies when they are told to support their claims.

Just to clarify since I'm involved in D&D COVID thread moderation: the only poster that has been removed is Wang Commander / poll plane variant because they were at least partially trolling.

Folks can be as pessimistic or optimistic as they like, they are just expected to be able to support their claims. It is not moderation policy to chase off or deter "doomers," whatever that means.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

But the hospitalization rate for all kids were well below the 80+ cohort until recently, and now the 0-2 range has shot out way ahead of every other group. Something has changed.

I think if you combine:
- 0-2s have higher hospitalization rates as a base
- vaccination rates of teens+ are like maxxed
- overall case levels are high as crazy from omicron
- boosted people go to hospital less with omicron than unvaxxed

The combination means the base high rate for 0-2s is going to be even *more* elevated relative to vaccinated groups.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Girlfriend just got a survey letter from BRÅ about falling life expectancy in Sweden.

Gee I wonder what could be triggering that.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
why on earth is brottsförebyggande rådet surveying about life expectancy? what are they asking about, exactly?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Probably not enough privatisation.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Rust Martialis posted:

I think if you combine:
- 0-2s have higher hospitalization rates as a base
- vaccination rates of teens+ are like maxxed
- overall case levels are high as crazy from omicron
- boosted people go to hospital less with omicron than unvaxxed

The combination means the base high rate for 0-2s is going to be even *more* elevated relative to vaccinated groups.
If these were the causes, you'd expect to see the same for the 3-5 year olds; that is, the ratio of 0-2 year old hospitalizations to 3-5 year olds should remain about constant, regardless of what is going on in the older vaccinated groups. But I don't think the 3-5 year olds have had a proportional change in hospitalizations compared to the 0-2 year olds recently.

But it isn't really worth speculating about until I can dig up the time histories of this rather than basing it off of memories of snapshots I've seen. I'll try to find the relevant data tomorrow.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

If these were the causes, you'd expect to see the same for the 3-5 year olds; that is, the ratio of 0-2 year old hospitalizations to 3-5 year olds should remain about constant, regardless of what is going on in the older vaccinated groups. But I don't think the 3-5 year olds have had a proportional change in hospitalizations compared to the 0-2 year olds recently.

Yeah okay, I was comparing 0-2s with older groups, so yeah looking at the ratios of just the primarily unvaccinated 0-2 and 3-5 cohorts would presumably control for vaccine effects. I note the Scottish study split it into "under 1"

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Please be certain what you're posting directly addresses an argument being made. In addition, I request that the next time you reply to one of Rust Martialis' posts, you give him a kiss, or tell him you love him, before proceeding with your argument. And he must do the same if he's to respond to you.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Koos Group posted:

Please be certain what you're posting directly addresses an argument being made. In addition, I request that the next time you reply to one of Rust Martialis' posts, you give him a kiss, or tell him you love him, before proceeding with your argument. And he must do the same if he's to respond to you.
:wmwink:

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Koos Group posted:

Surely requesting kissing to be done is not a prudent thing to do in these times of covid and... and... is it ok if we film the occasion? For the archives, I mean!

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Surely requesting kissing to be done is not a prudent thing to do in these times of covid and... and... is it ok if we film the occasion? For the archives, I mean!

Nah, it's cool, omicron is mild

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

nobody knows why there's a pediatric hospitalization spike. there isn't a secret model only available to ssi researchers, ssi researchers are limited by poverty of data too. all being a virologist counts for right now is not jumping to premature conclusions. data collection is a complete quagmire thanks to rampant and uncontrolled spread, pandemic fatigue and normalization of infection, and our models of covid-19 have once again been shattered into a trillion pieces, so we need a lot. again. it'll likely be months before these data are in.

even all that notwithstanding, there's uncertainty surrounding what variant they are infected with, is the infection incidental, along with the usual questions of interactions and long covid, immunity vs immune depletion, and the inevitable next variant. what we do know is that it's likely some degree of bad. but ultimately, at this point, we're really just celebrating the low icu numbers and health care load, which we also don't understand, while hoping for the best on the rest.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
So I’m attempting to watch Lyxfällan and while I feel like I’m biased in what I’m watching, do Swedes have like, way more debt than you’d think? Like goddamn why loving SMS loans?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

teen witch posted:

So I’m attempting to watch Lyxfällan and while I feel like I’m biased in what I’m watching, do Swedes have like, way more debt than you’d think? Like goddamn why loving SMS loans?

SMS loans seem more a consequence of having such a well-designed civil registration system / SPAR, than anything else.

They should have been regulated out of existence, but I don't think you could even dream of even creating such a product in most countries.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i don’t think it’s as big anymore but there used to be ads for them all the time. there was a lot of news stories about them back in the day. i personally don’t know anyone who got hosed by them but i definitely know people who do. it was a huge problem for a while

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

watho posted:

i don’t think it’s as big anymore but there used to be ads for them all the time. there was a lot of news stories about them back in the day. i personally don’t know anyone who got hosed by them but i definitely know people who do. it was a huge problem for a while

It is a huge problem and it's still growing by the year to this day. https://www.di.se/digital/kreditbolagen-skickar-over-150-000-till-fogden/

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Groda posted:

SMS loans seem more a consequence of having such a well-designed civil registration system / SPAR, than anything else.

They should have been regulated out of existence, but I don't think you could even dream of even creating such a product in most countries.

As someone who works at a bank selling these high interest credits told me, if you think it is unbelievable that anyone would ever take one of these loans, you are not the target demographic.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Idiots be idiots

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

Idiots be idiots

There is also the Economic theory of boots by Sam Vimes which is apparently trending in UK.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

watho posted:

Have you been on public transport lately? Busses and trains are littered with ads for them usually. It's just targeted towards low income groups. I used to have a rehearsal space in Albertslund (Vestegnen, very ...post working class area), and let me tell you the ads were plenty.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Online casinos, SMS or ez loans, frozen pizzas over and over again and some alcohol. Late night TV adverts are too depressing and you start wondering if maybe you are the target demographic after all.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Consumerism has become our culture. Everything surrounding us tells us that having the latest greatest thing is what makes life worthwhile, yet prices keep going up. Phones and games consoles cost as much as top of the line computers did just a couple of years ago. People post endlessly on social media about luxury products, travel, fancy food and drink. You need to be subscribed to half a dozen streaming services to be able to follow what people are talking about in the office. If you don't have any money these loans are the only way you can have a taste of that.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 27, 2022

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
In denmark most of the sms loan businesses were owned by the bigger banks and categorised as the high risk loan division or subsidiary or something like that. I used to see ads for them all the time on the bus and in other places where us plebs had to hang around. It's predatory as gently caress and the world would be greatly improved if everyone involved with those companies dropped off the face of the earth overnight.

Hundlaser
Jan 15, 2004

by Hand Knit
Man, what happened to lagom?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

BonHair posted:

Have you been on public transport lately? Busses and trains are littered with ads for them usually. It's just targeted towards low income groups. I used to have a rehearsal space in Albertslund (Vestegnen, very ...post working class area), and let me tell you the ads were plenty.

not up here thankfully. but yeah i believe you when you say it’s still a huge problem

also

Collapsing Farts posted:

Idiots be idiots

this is super reductive. people in desperate situations will do things that are harmful in the long run. yes obviously some people will just be young and dumb and not care about the future consequences but i think a lot of people who get hosed are poor people in a very desperate situation.

that don’t make for fun reality tv tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

teen witch posted:

From a finnish perspective, Swedes are crazy bout debt. Private debt anyway, public debt is a big no no.