Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Baudolino posted:

Well forbidden fruit tastes the best. S io imagine there can be a erotic element to seeing women in full burqas. Certainly the men who insist that their wifes and daugthers wear full burqas have a hyper-erotic perspective on anything relating to female bodies. What would the point of having these outfits otherwise?

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

what is going on here i don't even

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Biomute posted:

It is rather impressive how quickly the far-right have managed to disseminate their new talking points, when under a year ago it was still "but what about the law-abiding, upstanding citizens (rich conservative white people)" and now even the lowliest troll will be going on about the poor working class. Say what you will about the far-left, but at least they are consistent.

On one hand it's kind of good that the far-right is talking about the working class, as many of them are working class themselves and it would be an improvement over being instruments of rich assholes, but on the other hand they helped elect Trump. We can hope they start follwing through on their promises, but I rather doubt it, especially considering the brown people they hate tend to be poor and working class as well.

eh lots of contemporary right-wing populism bases itself on a sort of bastardised class counsciousness and has done so for a while, c.f. the constant whining about how the "elites" and journalists or what have you are conspiring against them

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Foretrekker egentlig den gamle norske sta lucia som veltet skorsteinen din fremfor det der snillsvenske tøyset vi holder på med om dagen

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

don't vote for the national chauvinists please

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

om rødt og SV slo seg sammen ville det sporenstreks dannes minst ett utbryterparti

den ideologiske avstanden internt i begge partier er enorm som det er, det ville ikke vært noen stabil konstellasjon

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Biomute posted:

Hvorfor ikke? Rødt står ikke lenger for væpnet revolusjon og resten av prinsipprogrammet er det samme som SV sitt bare skrevet tydeligere så langt jeg kan se.
Nå er jeg jævlig ulært på dette, men det ser ut for meg som at Rødt ikke er noe parti for Maoister og Marxist-Leninister uansett, så om begge partiene prøver å appellere til folk som faller ett eller annet sted mellom venstrekommunister - demokratiske sosialister - sosialdemokrater så bør da ikke det være helt døfødt?

rødt spenner seg langs de tradisjonelle grensene til den første internasjonalen, dvs. fra marxister osv til anarkister. deres ideologiske landskap tar en del ting for gitt, som avskaffelsen av privat eiendom som primærmålsetning - hvorvidt en bør praktisere demokratisk sentralisme som organisatorisk praksis er et jevnlig tema i det partiet. det knaker i sømmene som det er - linjen på væpnet revolusjon er en av de tingene som varierer voldsomt innad i partiet, men man forholder seg stort sett til en klassisk leninistisk linje, dvs. at væpnet maktovertakelse kan bli et alternativ om forholdene ligger til rette (hvilket det er vanskelig å forespeile seg i Norge i overskuelig fremtid).

SV går fra "bitre arbeiderpartifolk" til "demokratiske sosialister" og "kristensosialister". SV er altså i spenn mellom NATO-motstand, EU-motstand, miljøvern og patetiske forsøk på venstrepopulisme. Deres parti inneholder alt fra tradisjonelle sosialdemokrater som ikke liker retningen AP har tatt siden Brundtland til regelrette utopiske sosialister, som Lysbakken selv, og da inkluderer man diverse enkeltsaksskikkelser á la Djupedal og Bjørnøy. Partiet har vært i mer eller mindre konstant krise siden de gikk inn i Stoltenberg II (faktisk mot landsstyrevedtak), så det er fryktelig uoversiktlig

begge disse partiene rommer et stort nok spenn av ideologisk avvik til at man ville få større eller mindre utbrytergrupper ved ethvert forsøk på å samle de to, og de appelerer i stor grad til grunnleggende forskjellige typer

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oslobenken på stortinget sin hysteriske reaksjon på utflaggingen av et par hundre arbeidsplasser er forbløffende og kostelig, og de burde ta seg en tur til Stavanger

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

evt. bokstavelig talt hvor som helst utenfor oslo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Randarkman posted:

It appears I might not have been the only one to go "this is madness" over the whole reform of the county and municipality system in Norway that's been unveiled to be going forward.
SP has been shown to be steadily growng in recent polls, and are now hovering around 11% in the most recent ones, appearing to be leeching voters off AP and H (though AP is harder hit it seems). This doesn't necessarily bode that well for Red-Greens though, as AP's decline means that the bourgeois ("borgerlig", usual moniker for Norwegian political right-wing) parties are still looking at something resembling the kind of sort of majority they have going at the moment.

e: Oh, wait latest one says right-wing loses majority.

https://www.nrk.no/norge/ny-nrk-maling_-venstre-gir-solberg-hodebry-1.13415161

mmh, if V drops below 4% and SV can keep its act together to some extent (which honestly seems likely, given støhre's obvious preference for centreward cooperation) the blue-blues will fall

more to the point, both KrF and V have been vehement about not supporting an FrP government after the election, sooo

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 9, 2017

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

from a left-wing perspective, the country could probably do worse than an AP+Sp+KrF government

it'd be socially conservative as gently caress, but i doubt they could do any lasting damage on those fronts - AP needs to maintain some level of credibility wrt its whole state-feminist project, at least, and KrF are not, mostly, racists

the environment'd be hosed, though

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Randarkman posted:

Well, at least SP didn't end up led by Ola Borten Moe. Dude was just kind of scary when it came to his enthusiasm for everything oil. Don't really know much about Vedum as regards oil, but he can't really be as bad as Borten Moe.

Who also looked downright sinister at times.

tbh vedum seems like a classical SP mercenary type who's managed to catch a whiff of where the popular opinion was headed and capitalised on it pretty well - i think a parallel can be made to what kristin halvorsen did with SV back in the early 2000's, where the oppositional zeitgeist was suddenly very much in favour of SV's traditional antimilitarism, and where they managed to completely monopolise important sectors of policy (education, environment, war). halvorsen's trick, as with vedum, was mainly in recognising her strength and realising it - it is, however, going to be very fleeting indeed, and i expect SP to be back down to 6-8% as their issues fade from relevance and/or they seize power

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

borten moe's biggest problem was that he was so obviously arrogant and entitled, which is poison in a norwegian political context

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

det er godt mulig at moxnes kommer på tinget med direktemandat fra oslo, så det er ikke egentlig mer bortkastet å stemme rødt der enn noen andre partier

med mindre du bor i oslo eller i enkelte merkelige scenarier hordaland er det imidlertid ikke så mye poeng. om man stemmer rødt i hordaland, burde man supplere opp thorstein dahle

stort sett ville jeg anbefalt å stemme SV, deres heller patetiske forsøk på populisme til tross. det er et poeng at det eksisterer en stortingsgruppe til venstre for arbeiderpartiet, i alle fall

e. wait hang on i forgot which thread this was sorry

let's not pretend that anybody reads this thread who can't parse that post though, for real

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

How is the danish government even surviving

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

they are basing their economic policy on a DREAM

well ok

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

450k is on the low end of expected for private sector academic work, but you're not getting scammed, and it's a decently middle-class income

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Like, things are a bit more expensive in general, but outside of eating out or alcohol it's not twice as expensive as britain

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

re: the economy, it's only really painful in the west, where a lot of the economy has been connected to the sea for a long time - a lot of supply groups, ship tenders, pump industries and engine works have been feeling the pain - over here, it's a genuine malaise which is only made more painful by successive norwegian governments completely refusing to actually try to do something with the economy here. right now we have a lot of techincally minded people with very little to do, but there seems to be an expectation that new economical sectors will spring up through the entrepreneurial efforts of a bunch of galtian supermen and that this quite removes any need for actual political action in rejigging our economy

the consequence is that norway is completely backwards in almost all high-tech sectors not connected to oil or one of the old state monopolies like telecoms or power generation because establishing a tech company in anything else than certain ICT fields is somewhat more complicated and expensive than "have technical skills and idea, can make business"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the whole thorium fiasco eight or so years ago is a good example of this - it wouldn't have cost that much, proportionately, to amass a world-leading centre of competence on a potentially massively valuable field, but because that would've been messing with the liberal dogma that's been almost universal since the brundtland years, it was basically let die and now key patents are dispersed all over the shop

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

richie mcrich does normal rich person things

i mean i'm not the man's biggest fan, but this kind of issue is pretty much just a guy being hit as an individual for doing something that everyone in his situation does

it's a lovely thing to do, but the solution is tighter regulation on a societal level, not individualised polemic

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Randarkman posted:

So what are the chances of Rødt actually getting into parliament this year? Seems people are always predicting it, but it never seems to happen.

Also, do you mean to say that Ap won't get the chance to form a government? Last time I looked at the polls they seemed to be in a pretty good spot to do so if they dragged Sp along.

R getting into parliament is fairly dependent on how SV does, if they look to be safely above 4% you'll see a non-trivial (for this context) amount of swing voters come down on the R side and probably getting Moxnes into parliament

Previously their hottest shot was Dahle, but Bergen isn't as attractive a prospect for R as Oslo, and with the left looking dangerously close to being wiped out in the last election a bunch of people rallied to SV to try and shore them up

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Baudolino posted:

Looks like i will be voting Venstre for purely tactical reasons this year. Feels bad, but sometimes you have to stuff that camel meat down your eathole.

After their continuing support for the present government I genuinely don't see how this is a reasonable option, unless one desires frp cabinet members

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jensen has, supported by V, de facto made herself an intrinsic part of any bourgeois government. V needs to bite the bullet and accept a minority ap government to teach them that you can't keep using ultimatums and get what you want

One of the worst parts of this government has been frp ministers doing their best to erode the relatively healthy Norwegian political discourse and culture and it's been really frustrating

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Biomute posted:

The utilitarian in me wonders if a resounding AP loss + a big boost for the actualt leftist parties would be better in the long run than getting FrP+Høyre out of government. Perhaps AP can be reformed.

this exact thing happened in 2001, and stoltenberg built the red-green coalition in response

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Grimson posted:

Who would lead that reformation though? My Ap leadership knowledge is slim, so I can't think of anyone in the party who has leftist leanings.

Leaders matter less than you'd think when major strategic decisions are made. Stoltenberg was probably the most right-wing leader labour has ever had, but for his last eight years he was bound by the party to run to the left

Støhre got to attempt a strategic reorientation rowards the centre, but with the way that's blown up the next leader's going to be pushed leftwards by the party regardless of personal conviction

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tripartism is still strong enough in norway that a grand coalition type affair would be met with massive opposition from both LO and NHO, i'd put literally all my money on it not happening barring a national emergency like war or something

besides, both parties need the other as an opponent. the leader has power to guide policy and manouever around their party, but norwegian parties are powerful institutions, and for good and bad they both can and will discipline errant leaders. again, stoltenberg is a good example, as were almost all of solberg's predecessors - halvorsen managed to do an end run around her party congress, but she did that with the help of a very well-placed network of people in leadership positions throughout the party. when støhre tried to go anti-oil, LO came crashing down on him and he was forced to retreat. if hareide had it his way, he would've collapsed the government a long loving time ago, but his members will not stand for a formal alliance with the left

really, what seems to be støhre's biggest problem is that he just doesn't Get norwegian politics on a fairly fundamental level. he imagines that he can be president, and he can't. he's alienated huge chunks of his activist base and middle-level party officials, and those are massively important in a way they aren't in e.g. france, which is probably the source of a lot of his misconceptions

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the oil thing is actually the labour left getting their due, they're heavily based on LO support and LO will brook no anti-growth policy from their party

stuff like taxation, labour regulations, state ownership or welfare/judicial reform, on the other hand, are big signals as to the relative strength of the left or right

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

støre actively tried to turn environmentalist on LoVeSe - that and refugee policy were his major social-liberal defeats internally

the man's a centrist, but there are issues where the labour left are further from the e.g. SV than the labour centre - LoVeSe is just opportunistic posturing atm, forcing V to expend effort on that rather than further economic liberalisation

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frankly, that's probably been the case since Soria Moria, where stoltenberg raised a big thing about it to make it a weapon to outmanouever SV with

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one might imagine 'want them to learn Norwegian' excluded supporting a government that has cut the amount of tutoring asylum seekers get in the language but evidently not

one might even think that concerns about integration were a thin veil for something entirely else!

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Heinz Hynkel posted:

When did they do that? It seems to me that they are doing the opposite. One might even think that it will help.

With google translate:

The government strengthens measures for qualification for work as part of the integration work
The effort to qualify for work must be targeted and effective. The Government proposes to grant a total of NOK 23.2 million to strengthen measures for work qualification.
Of these, the government proposes to allocate NOK 6.7 million to impose a duty on training for asylum seekers residing in asylum reception.
"It's important to get started with the qualification quickly. Duty to participate in Norwegian language education and training in Norwegian culture and Norwegian values, gives a clear signal about this, "says immigration and integration minister Sylvi Listhaug.

Managing Norwegian is essential for the individual's participation in work or further education. The government proposes NOK 2.9 million for competence raising of teachers in Norwegian education in 2018. Priority will be given to municipalities with integration centers and municipalities.

The demand for a Norwegian sample for adult immigrants is increasing. The government proposes to allocate NOK 7.6 million to municipalities for more frequent trial developments. In addition, the government will also offer a public Norwegian test at a higher language level (C1), and proposes to allocate 6 million kroner to this.

https://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/solberg-regjeringen/listhaug-kutter-mer-i-asylnorsk/a/23681147/

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

specific cuts have objectively been made to language training during the current regime, and it would've been further cut unless parliament had intervened, keeping it at 175 hours rather than 150

this seems somewhat inconsistent with a desire to actually teach people, though i suppose that the point of 'forcing' them to 'learn' is that one can avoid actually dedicating significant resources to the process and maintain some weird moralist outrage when adults with no prior exposure fail to become fluent on their own

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the current government's attitude to integration is much more consistent with an ideology of exclusion and alienation, with the end goal of reducing influx of foreigners, than it is with actual desire to functionally integrate people into their new society. learning about the society in early processing is not actually new, though taking hours away from language training is certainly an interesting way to do it

this being a government that literally boasts of its own failures in this area, preferring integration to be a matter of personal morality on the part of the immigrant rather than an issue for society

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

this, of course, is probably most easily explained by racism, since it's an entirely counterproductive approach if the point is actually getting people to function in this society of ours

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

sorry, 'pragmatic realism' and 'effective assistance in the localities', presumably achieved through the consistently advocated cuts to foreign aid defeated by KrF. having people come here is just so inefficient, the left are the real racists

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

p. sure cardiac's a biologist

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Do keep us posted on this, if the state intervention can be assumed to favour one party that's genuinely big news

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

evil_bunnY posted:

How did gov intervention turn out in practice? If they tried that in more hardcore syndicalised places the employees would just laugh and stay on strike.

it carries the force of law so that'd be interesting

Scandinavian unions are very powerful institutions, in exchange for strikes &c being highly ritualised affairs. the state is supposed to mediate between employers' confederation and union, and has the emergency power to halt a strike in the case of a legitimate emergency, like say a nurse's strike getting out of hand and leading to people potentially dying

crucially, this system relies on quite a lot of good faith, and we're living in an era where that's in short supply. if government intervention and mediation can no longer be trusted it's a huge deal because it means that labour can no longer effectively enforce its end of the system

to put it this way: scandinavian tripartism is the fundamental basis for social democracy in the form almost universally admired by anyone even slightly left-leaving in the western world. its erosion, more than any electoral result or government policy, marks the final death of our basic system of governance

like, this sounds very dramatic because it legitimately is. this being inevitable has been the union left's critique of this system since the beginning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

evil_bunnY posted:

Oh that’s just loving peachy.

When the govt forced the anesthesiologist back to work, they did emergency stuff but refused to fill out any financial paperwork. They also did the by-the-book kind of striking, scrupulously following all the CYA regs to letter, and refusing to do the usual OT that had become the norm.

IMO yes the government is obviously to blame but you can still do better than throw your hands up and give up.

yeah this would probably be the next step if it turns out the government genuinely can't be trusted

keep in mind that this has also gone in favour of workers defending existing rights in the past