Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Welcome! To Metal Gear July 2: Snake’s Revenge. It’s that time of year again, the month-long celebration of the greatest series in all of gaming. There’s no time like the present to try these games out if you’ve never given them a shot, and there’s no time like the present to play through them for the 14th time.

Last year’s thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727711

The Series

The Core Chronology
Metal Gear – MSX, 1987
Metal Gear 2 – MSX2, 1990
Metal Gear Solid – PSX, 1998
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty – PS2, 2001
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater – PS2, 2004
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots – PS3, 2008
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker – PSP, 2010
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – PS3/360/PC, 2013
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes – PS3/PS4/360/ONE/PC, 2014
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain – PS3/PS4/360/ONE/PC, 2015

If you’re looking to see what the big deal with Metal Gear is, these are the games that most people are talking about. Metal Gear 1/2 are classical difficult action games from the early era of Japanese PC games, defining the realm of “stealth” games due to limitations on the number of bullets that could be rendered at once; this forced developers to change the style of the game to one of avoidance rather than confrontation. The Solid continuation is the story and gameplay brought into the 3D realm and every entry is a unique and fascinating game that you could play over and over again. The best option for newbies is picking up the Metal Gear Legacy Collection for PS3, which contains copies of every game up to Revengeance.

This time last year we were all breathlessly waiting for the release of MGSV, but now we know it’s an undeniable classic and a massive, massive game, even with its weirdly crippled release and sadly light finale. I will be playing everything from MGS1 through V, although this year I’m going to try and challenge myself a little. For MGS1,2,3,4 I’m going to do the unthinkable and skip all the cutscenes so I can see how quickly I can beat the games. For Peace Walker I’m going to try an All Banana playthrough, and for V I’ve been playing through every mission in Subsistence mode (only OSP, no allies). Share your scores and styles!!

The Side Projects
Snake’s Revenge – NES, 1990
An off-brand sequel to Metal Gear developed exclusively for the North American market. Was released without the original team’s awareness; the creation of the official Metal Gear 2 was a response to the poor quality of this game.

Metal Gear: Ghost Babel – GBC, 2000
A portable version of Metal Gear that plays closer to the MSX original. Takes place in an alternate timeline set seven years before the original MSX game.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes – GCN, 2004
A remake of MGS1 in the MGS2 engine. Many of the boss designs weren’t revisited when porting to the MGS2 engine and the addition of first person aiming generally breaks a lot of the encounters, but the new cutscenes look ridiculous and it’s probably worth a play.

Metal Gear Ac!d – PSP, 2004
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 – PSP, 2005
This is a trading card game based on Metal Gear characters I guess. I don’t know anything about it.

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops – PSP, 2006
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops+ - PSP, 2007
The first attempt at a handheld Metal Gear in the style of the 3D entries. Successful in its time but the gameplay was improved upon in almost every capacity with the release of Peace Walker and the story is non-canon, so can be safely skipped.

Metal Gear Solid Touch – iOS, 2009
A light gun game with Old Snake murking in the desert while you tap the screen to kill people.

Metal Gear Solid: Social Ops – iOS/Anroid, 2012
I don’t know anything about this other than that it’s a Japan only F2P mobile game with Social in the title so its probably really, really well made and fun to play.

Metal Gear Online
Some of the later entries heavily featured an online component. Notably, the entirety of Peace Walker can be played in co-op, and MGSV’s release featured the latest entry in the Metal Gear Online series. It’s actually a lot of fun, but I barely touched it at launch because I was too busy getting the platinum in MGSV. Maybe this month we can get some groups going and play some MGO or join each other for PW runs!

Now go! Let the legend come back to life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

In Training posted:

Metal Gear Ac!d – PSP, 2004
Metal Gear Ac!d 2 – PSP, 2005
This is a trading card game based on Metal Gear characters I guess. I don’t know anything about it.

I played a lot of these when they came out, and the best way to explain them is "MGS as an RTS with cards determining special actions". I remember the first one being pretty fun, worth a look if you like that gameplay style.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ol yeller posted:

I played a lot of these when they came out, and the best way to explain them is "MGS as an RTS with cards determining special actions". I remember the first one being pretty fun, worth a look if you like that gameplay style.

They just added it to PSN last month apparently so maybe I finally will

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh Nevermind I think that was Portable Ops or something. I don't see it on there

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm going to play MGS4 but I don't have any other plans. I do have a MGSV subsistence file going though.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Metal Gear PO:OPS

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
probably a good time to rectify that i never finished peace walker

ghost babel would be good too since i really like the 2d games

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

too long, did not read. bwahaha

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i want to know if msx metal gear 1 is a huge poop turd like the nes version but i will never play it to find out

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mysterious loyall X posted:

i want to know if msx metal gear 1 is a huge poop turd like the nes version but i will never play it to find out

It's better

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hype! the Single greatest gaming series of all time. Based Kojima the Genius God.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Its kinda cool but you have to manually swap between every key at every door and that probably takes up half of your play time

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

It's way better and 2 is a must play imo

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

Its kinda cool but you have to manually swap between every key at every door and that probably takes up half of your play time

remember hen avgn gets mad at the part in the nes version where you have to use a keycard to open the gas filled door, put on the gasmask, and then take off the gasmask in the gas room to use the card to open the exit? classic

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

remember hen avgn gets mad at the part in the nes version where you have to use a keycard to open the gas filled door, put on the gasmask, and then take off the gasmask in the gas room to use the card to open the exit? classic

theres also a part on the roof where there are endless guys spawned to fight you and you have to run to the end of the last screen of the sequence is a Locked Door and you have level 1 throuhg 8 keycards and have to guess which one it is and youre used to starting with the latest one and working backwards, and its close to the end of the game so you fiugre its a level 8. but its a Level 1 and the first timeyou get there you will probably die at the door trying different keys :troll:

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

theres also a part on the roof where there are endless guys spawned to fight you and you have to run to the end of the last screen of the sequence is a Locked Door and you have level 1 throuhg 8 keycards and have to guess which one it is and youre used to starting with the latest one and working backwards, and its close to the end of the game so you fiugre its a level 8. but its a Level 1 and the first timeyou get there you will probably die at the door trying different keys :troll:

what if there were only keycards 1, 2 , and 4 :cawg:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Guess I'll dust off the Legacy Collection I bought and get down to some drat gaming...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm very excited to play MGS1 and 2 again.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

im gonna celebrate by playng mgs4, never played throguh it bfore

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fungah! posted:

im gonna celebrate by playng mgs4, never played throguh it bfore

Make some popcorn

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Peace Walker HD is next on my list, guess I gotta get to it soon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wound up liking Peace Walker a lot more than I thought I would even though the bosses kinda suck across the board

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the bosses are borng damage sponges but the sneaking missions are badass nd heavens divide is top tier mgs music

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I've ordered the HD collection in anticipation

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

In Training posted:

I wound up liking Peace Walker a lot more than I thought I would even though the bosses kinda suck across the board
I really liked the last Peace Walker fight, ZEKE, and the humongous puzzle tank boss. Peace Walker is great, it was basically the only thing I played on PSP when I had one, and I think I did almost everything except non-lethal the Monster Hunter bosses. Then most of the newer aspects I loved from that game got transferred over to V and, well, it freaking owns of course.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Who's your favorite MGS boss?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NickRoweFillea posted:

Chrysalis

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metal Gear Rex [mods can't stand his one weird trick]

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

NickRoweFillea posted:

The End

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

The End or The Boss. It's a tough one.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
[Solemnly] ... The Boss

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nice OP. I'm finally going to beat V, do another playthrough of Revengeance and hopefully get to some of the others. I might play The Twin Snakes since I never tried it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Vulcan Raven is my favorite mgs boss

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Gameplay-wise it's not great now, but the build-up, the music, the novelty and innovation- the Psycho Mantis fight might be when MGS really clicked for me in the first place?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

Metal Gear Ray

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Everything about Ray is great. Rex is a tough boss, the game hypes this one up as making it obsolete, and then instead of fighting one, you fight something like 12 of them. The number even increases at higher difficulties.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Everything about Ray is great. Rex is a tough boss, the game hypes this one up as making it obsolete, and then instead of fighting one, you fight something like 12 of them. The number even increases at higher difficulties.

It's twenty on European Extreme

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my brain can't rationalize where the Ray boss fight platform is on Arsenal Gear was when I was 11 and it can't now either

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

frank.club posted:

my brain can't rationalize where the Ray boss fight platform is on Arsenal Gear was when I was 11 and it can't now either

It's on top of the whole ship but also Raiden is going insane so it looks like the Rays are just flying out of the abyss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

It's on top of the whole ship but also Raiden is going insane so it looks like the Rays are just flying out of the abyss

yeah I didn't get the Nanomachines thing at all and I always assumed that the Rays were walking on part of the boat that was under water.

• Locked thread