Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Chapter 1

Music

A bell can be heard ringing throughout the Royal City Lesalia. Such a ringing can only serve as a grim portent on a cold winter day such as today, as townsperson, burgher, and nobility alike all retreat to their homes while the Black Queen's guards march through the city's streets, carrying a prisoner in tow.

Atop the western ramparts of Castle Lesalia, the six of you stand behind Queen Teitra Heiral III and a few other nobles. The cold air bites at all of your faces, and the wind howls while the guards clad in red armor bring a broken and bloodied woman clad in green robes up the castle walls. Almost instinctively, you can tell that the Black Queen is smiling at the prisoner's condition.

The woman to be executed is none other than Felicia Hamilton, the Duchess of Linberry and Steward to the Crown. Just days before she had confessed to crimes of treason against the crown and heresy against the church of Bahamut. While such crimes are in no uncertain terms punishable by death, there is an air of doubt as to how those confessions were obtained.

A well-dressed, elderly man who you all recognize as Oliphey von Ronsenberg II, Duke of Zeltennia and Chancellor to the Crown steps forward and begins to speak with an announcing voice that barely carries across the stream, almost to be drowned by the wind.

"Duchess Felicia Hamilton, you have confessed to crimes against the crown and the Church of Bahamut. Have you anything to say before your execution?"

The Duchess keeps her eyes to the ground and remains completely silent as guards tie her up to the unlit pyre. The Duke lets out a resigned sigh and steps backwards while an aged woman clad in royal robes steps towards the prisoner.

"May your ashes scatter to the wind, and you find your penance in the next life."

With little else to be said, Julianne Freitberg, Keeper of the Sacred Fire, Chaplain to the Crown and Confessor of the Church of Bahamut, begins a ritualistic chant that echoes throughout the castle. Soon, a fire is lit at the base of the pyre, and very soon the Confessor's chants are drowned out by Felicia's screams.

Felicia's screams are all anybody in the city can hear for the next few minutes.

---------------------

Music

The six of you find yourselves in the throne room of Lesalia. What would have been a robust and lively room in another age is now a massively empty room populated with little more than the Black Queen's guards and the nine of you sitting at a very large council table that looks like it was built for a group of 20 or more advisors. At the center of the table is a large map of Ivalice, with small figurines representing different armies and the commanders leading their charge.

At the very head of the table, The Black Queen breaks the silence the nine of you shared since the execution. Her voice is a somewhat sweet sound in a stale room.

"Oli, inform us of how the war has progressed."

Sitting to the Queen's left, Oliphey clears his voice before he begins to talk. The massive seat of Marshall Bahram Delacroix, to the right of Teitra, is empty for obvious reasons.

"As you will, My Queen. Allow me one moment to update our reports"

"Our Lord Marshall, Bahram Delacroix has begun his siege of Eagrose Castle in Gallione. While there is no word as to either of his son's whereabouts, he intends to reclaim his land before he can join us in crushing the usurper Duke Atka-"

"Do not speak that traitor's name in these halls."

"Of course, My Queen. We do not know how long the assault will take; Bahram was awfully sure to make his castle able to withstand a siege. It's only unfortunate he didn't anticipate he would be the one on the offensive. Reclaiming this castle would disrupt the Duke's supply lines, and give us a staging point for assaulting the Duke's Crown City"

With those words, the Duke gives the Black Queen a glance and a nod and sits back down. In the seat next to Siegmund, Julianne's aged body stands up as her hoarse voice begins to fill the empty and silent chamber.

"With the departure of Lady Hamilton, we'll need a new Duchess of Linberry. The question of her succession is rather clouded at the moment; her relatives are not to be found and she had left very little in the way of heirs. The lands shall belong to you until you distribute them in accordance to your will."

The Black Queen lets out a very audible groan of displeasure. "That time cannot come soon enough. Let us hope a worthy vassal petitions for the claim within the day."

"We can only hope so, My Queen. Until a worthy successor can be found, Linberry remains vulnerable to invasion of the Usurper's forces from Lionel. The Church of Bahamut shall pray a successor can be found."

Before the elder priestess can sit down, Oliphey speaks up with a hasted undertone that seems to carry a bite with it.

"And what news of the Inquisiton? Have their plans changed as of yet?"

Julianne retains her composure and continues to talk.

"My eyes and ears within the Inquisition tell me that they still march towards the castle of the Duke of Fovoham. The rather... mysterious circumstances of the previous Duke's death have led them to investigate the current one's affairs and their loyalty to the Dragon God. That is all I know, Oliphey."

"Good riddance. Let the heretic burn for their treachery."

"My Queen... If I may interject."

The Queen gives a slight nod towards her chancellor, she presses her sword's blade against the ground with her palm kept on her weapon's hilt. Julianne returns to her seat with the grace a woman of her age carries.

"Your counsel is always welcome, Oli."

"If the Inquisition finds a trace of heresy among the Duke's family, this may lead to a full investigation of the nobles of Fovoham. That may prove detrimental to certain members of this court, given the rather convincing nature of their questioning so far."

"That would be rather unfortunate, wouldn't it?"

The Black Queen eyes her table of advisors, making sure to give Keira a knowing glance.

"Before I give any orders to my loyal servants... I would be interested to hear where they think their talents should lie. A good Queen doesn't give out orders without first listening to her subjects, right?"

"A wise decision, My Queen."

With those words, the court goes silent, and the eyes of its members all go to the six of you in anticipation...

Our Cast

Doomykins as Inquisitor Nina the Burned, Human Paladin Samurai!

Unknown Quantity as Deacon Siegmund Razinov, Human Psion Priest!

Werewhale as Sir Mord, Half-Orc Fighter!

Look Around You as Aseir Jassan, Half-Elf Cleric!

Klingon w Bowl Cut as Countess Keira Fovoham, Human Rogue!

Sockerbagarn as Sister Zarafae Quavein, Drow Avenger!

Be sure to include a link to your character sheet in your first post.

I'd expect you guys to discuss with and ask questions of the other council members and yourselves as much as you want before you make a decision. Feel free to define your relationship with each council member, as well.

Here are maps of Ivalice, for reference.

OOC thread

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Guests
Currently Equipped: LaBamba
Current Passive: LaBamba

Former Guests

Current Location

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 21, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Deacon Siegmund Razinov

The Deacon raises his hand quietly.

"I would like to remind this court that Fovoham has legislation that would deter Sir Ronsenberg's theoretical situation. Specifically, any evidence found must be obtained without force, lest it be rendered forfeit. Not only that, but a search unsanctioned by the homeowner or city official is equally unusable in court. Put simply, unless the city believes they are hiding something, or one is personally invited to the homes of these people, any evidence of heresy is not usable to dismiss them from their position, much less put them behind bars. Of course, any investigations headed here would follow said laws. As it is stated in The Book of Bahamut Chapter 13 Verse 1-2, 'Let every person be subject to the law and those who uphold it. For there is no authority except from Bahamut, and those that exist have been instituted by Him.'"

He utters a quick 'amen' before lowering his hand and gauging the reactions of others.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 27, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Oliphey gives the Deacon an understanding look at his words, and those attentive can tell that Julianne is quick to join Siegmund in his Amen.

"While there is something to be said for the sanctity of the law, the Inquisition is newly formed. It is unknown to us whether or not they will perceive themselves above those laws, or if they'll stay true to their own scriptures."

Julianne is somewhat taken aback at the Duke's words, and is quick to retort.

"Oh, enough! Should we listen to another one of your doubts about the church, you'd have us all believe that the Platinum Dragon had turned evil overnight."

The elderly priestess regains her composure in her seat and continues on.

"The Grand Inquisitor has appointed one of his favored bishops to oversee the whole investigation. Everything will be done according to the law and scripture, I assure you."

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 28, 2016

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Nina the Burned

Summoned to stand in witness to the execution of divine justice, Nina stands at absolute attention for the entire ceremony, the thought of fatigue or boredom never entertained for even a second. In the presence of so many great figures safeguarding the kingdom... no, in the presence of Her Royal Majesty, it falls upon Nina to look the part, to appear as an avatar of the crown's vengeance itself. Standing nearly 6 feet tall and clad in black scale armor over pitch black padding, her face covered by a mask belt into the suit, all Nina shows is cold resolve as she watches the accused burn. The colors of crackling red flames are reflected in those scales until the screams stop and she caps off the experience with simple acknowledgement. A nod to the deceased and to the others before waiting to follow their Queen.

---

Seated in the throne room, Nina feels no undue importance. She is a representative of the Queen's inquisitors and their duty is obvious. Waiting for the Deacon to finish speaking and for the sudden spat to abate Nina cuts in with a practiced speaking voice, polite yet firm. "The Inquisition are fortunate they have this chance to prove themselves to the Queen. We should leave them to it and join Marshall Delacroix in smashing Eagrose. Every day the rebels plot is an insult to the Crown."

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 28, 2016

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Zarafae Quavein

"So you would have us just sit back and hope that this rogue inquisition acts in a manner that pleases us?" Zarafae scoffs, pointed mostly at Siegmund and Julianne. "The Duke of Fovoham is a traitor, and no doubt guilty of murdering his predecessor. Even if the Inquisition follows the letter of the law there's every reason to suspect they will find his loyalty lacking and start digging deeper."

Her eyes flare up intently. "I say we strike first. We remove the traitor's head and the Inquisition will find themselves without anyone to prosecute. It will also serve as a stark reminder for the remaining members of the Fovoham line who truly rules these lands." She looks over to Keira. If it should come to it, did she have the nerve to slay her kin?

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

Aseir stands at attention during the execution, as he must, straight faced with his lips pressed tightly together. Though he doesn't let it on, he's sickened by the smell of burning flesh, and he secretly hopes the queen finds a slightly more humane way of execution. In the back of his mind, though, he understands why she's doing it and can't fault her for setting an example for the highest of traitors.

---

He sits attentively at the table, listening to his compatriots' arguments on what actions to take before speaking up. "I, too, am convinced that the Inquisition shall follow Bahamut's tenants. After all, one must follow the law to be the law," Aseir says confidently. "Anyway, what good would murdering another noble in apparent cold blood do other than to arouse more suspicion? If we must intervene there, gently steering their investigation aside would do much more for our cause than giving them another body to look into. Killing the new heir looks equally if not more suspicious, especially when provable fratricide is involved.

"Myself, I feel as though we should concentrate our efforts on Eagrose Castle. We should take any step we can to get closer to the traitor."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

Awkward moments are easy to come by here in the royal court, though it’s hard to top the implicit threat of being found to be a heretic. How kind of Duke Oliphey to remind everyone here about the investigation of Keira’s family. She wonders if the old man actually thinks he’s being helpful? Based on the interaction she has had with him so far, he always seems to have the Queen’s best interests at heart, which could make him very dangerous.

At least the Deacon notes that Bahamut would frown on their confessions being coerced. It might not stop them, of course, but it’s nice to know at least one person here hasn’t abandoned decency. Keira piously repeats his ‘amen’.

Then she hears Zarafae directly accuse her brother of being a traitor and feels her face twitch. She can let the anger out later, but not here in court. This problem needs to be headed off now, though maybe with fewer expletives than she would prefer.

: “It’s a bit early to be calling for Duke Edrick’s head, considering the investigation has hardly even begun, don’t you think? There is still plenty of doubt, my dear Zarafae... My father's death was sudden and tragic and a source of great... uncertainty, so let's not throw unfounded accusations of foul play around like this, shall we?"

Keira takes a breath and closes her eyes for a moment, and when she opens them she appears calm again, as usual. Edrick, killing Father? she thinks. Ha! Nothing is outside the realm of possibility, but if these people knew him like I did... He was always more interested in chasing skirts and gardening than politics, even after he started his family.

: "Now, I am not overly close to my siblings, as you all know. We do, however, still share the bonds of blood, and I have never encountered any evidence of Duke Edrick being anything but a loyal follower of the Church and the Queen. It seems unlikely to me, but if they are discovered to be heretics, you can expect my full support in carrying out their punishment. Keeping this land together is far too important to do otherwise.”

Keira make sure to hold the gaze of the Queen, Oliphey, and Zarafae in turn as she speaks, an important signal of her earnestness. She can decide later if she’s actually being earnest, after all.

Surely the Inquisition wouldn't be foolish enough to challenge a Duke in such uncertain times. Keira hopes so, and she thinks it's best for her and for her family that she not meddle with the investigation, even though part of her wants to. At least if it does come to pass that they are found guilty, but she manages to deflect suspicion from herself, she could stand to gain greatly.

Gods, that is an ugly thought, she says to herself. I am better than that. She shoves it aside with a small smile before continuing.

: “Instead of focusing on an area that will probably not even turn up anything of note, we should concentrate our efforts on something we can affect with more certainty. We can definitely be of use in taking Eagrose Castle, but I believe that instability in Limberry would be disastrous on many more levels. I don’t have a clear successor immediately in mind, but I do know where to start looking. I know some members of her family personally, and I know some... unconventional ways to contact them, which previous searchers may not have thought to use. With some help, I believe we could have the worthiest heir installed within the month and thus head off a lot of chaos.”

Keira wonders if Sir Donalto is still alive. He was always an upstanding sort, and also a second or third cousin to Duchess Limberry. (Keira has to repress a shudder at the thought of her death. She can already tell that many of her nights will be consumed with nightmares of those screams, possibly even with herself or her children on the stake instead of the Duchess.) Granted, they haven’t spoken in years, and last Keira heard he was thinking of joining the priesthood, but he could be a good place to start. Hopefully he remembers the codes she used.

(It seems we're leaning toward Eagrose so far, but this is a plot point we can always use later, right?)

Orbs fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 28, 2016

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

Nina sits calmly as Zarafae fires off. "All groups that wish to maintain autonomy would exist to serve the Crown, yes, for it is by Lesalia's blessing they may exist at all. If they claim loyalty they may be extended the courtesy to prove it. It is the same courtesy you enjoy." If there was a need to trade barbs and "win points" here before their superiors, it didn't come across in her monotone recital of facts or her unerring amber eyes. "The Inquisition performs a useful duty until such point as they are called upon to dissolve or they prove they cannot be trusted."

""For there is no authority except from Bahamut, and those that exist have been instituted by Him.'"" Nina favors Siegmund with a look and a brief closing of the eyes, a sign of a sincere smile under the mask. She opens them again and looks confidently to her Queen. "If the Inquisition forgets their place, let them be annihilated as well."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Deacon Siegmund Razinov

The Deacon sighs and glances at Zarafae. There's a bite to his tone. "And I suppose you have evidence to back your claim? Or would you simply have us solve the issue of the Duke and his family by murdering all of them? We're here to restore order to chaos, not cause more chaos. I understand that your 'teachings' state that chaos is the oil which greases the gears of change, but that is not how we operate. But I believe the others have made that point abundantly clear."

Looking back around and considering the proceedings, he gets a small grin. The Countess has given him an opportunity to undertake something less immediately violent.

"I would have my skills put to Countess Fovoham's suggestion. Establishing who will take the ownership of Limberry will determine our stance towards it. After all, who is to say that someone won't go digging through the books for some kind of outdated but still-existent loophole to get themselves into the seat? Not to mention, wouldn't it be a great show of our intent and capabilities to find some hero of the people whom they can trust with leadership among the masses? Someone who would likely become quite grateful to our cause, should they find themselves in a seat of power they would not ordinarily have..."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

Zarafae rolls her eyes at Aseir then turns her attention to Keira. "Unfounded accusations, Countess?" She leans forward in her chair and stabs the map on the table with her finger. "The rumors that surround Duke Edrick is proof enough that something is rotten in the duchy of Fovoham. Even the Inquisition agrees with me on that point, for whatever that's woth." She leans back again and curls her lips into a wicked smile. "But I'm pleased to hear that you are willing to take responsibility once you are adequately convinced."

Zarafae narrows her eyes at Nina. "My loyalty to our Queen is already proven without a doubt. Question it again and it'll be the last thing you do." She shakes her head. "We can ill afford your naiveté, we are handing the Inquisition a golden opportunity to put an entire duchy under their control if we remain passive. They must bend the knee and swear fealty to the crown without delay."

"You truly are a paragon of ignorance, Razinov," Zarafae bites back. "Take my advice and avoid speaking of matters that do not relate to the one book you've ever read. The soft touch of you and your ilk is the reason the nation has been thrust into chaos."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Sir Mord

Sir Mord is quiet for a bit as the others argue. He'd turned out in his finest for the Queen's summons. Still not very fine compared to the big names in the court, but Sir Mord was still raised in high society, even if he was kept at arms-length. A silk shirt, with images of lions, staking a claim to Lionel heritage, but in red and black, which were not the Lionel colours, rejecting any loyalty to his estranged family. His face is almost human, with tanned skin, wide black sideburns reaching his jaw and his black hair bound in a tight bun behind his neck. But his orcish heritage show in a jaw that juts a little too much, a nose that is a little too flat and upturned, and small, piggish eyes under heavy eyebrows.

Still, Sir Mord almost looks respectable.

After having listened to the others and not having a goblet of wine to entertain himself with(but rather enjoying the deacon getting the piss taken out of him by the drow), Sir Mord leans forward, chair creaking under the shifting weight. He speaks with a voice like a slab of granite being pulled over gravel.

"Can't say I-" Sir Mord clears his throat. He was in the Queen's court. It wouldn't do to speak like he was still running with the boys. "I must admit to my eagerness to, ah, clean house in Fovoham, but let us contemplate for a moment. If the Duke is guilty, well, that is one traitor we have been unburdened of. If not, we can conduct our own investigation at a later time. Likewise for the siege of Eagrose. The Marshal bears his title for a reason. I have confidence he will prosecute the matter in an elegant manner. If he doesnt, then by the nature of things he will still be there. I believe our efforts best suited to ensuring an orderly and swift ascension in Limberry."

"Besides," he adds, a hungry grin spreading on his face, revealing his large lower bicuspids, looking almost like tiny tusks, "if my traitorous cousin makes a move, I should be on the spot."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

Keira is almost excited to engage in a session of trading barbs, but then she remembers where she is, and what just happened outside, and a great deal of the enthusiasm drains from her body. Still, she can't resist a slight parry and counter in this little duel. Her eyes narrow at Zarafae as her smile broadens.

: "If we left matters of life and death to mere rumors, I dare say there would be a bit fewer of us at this table. But I thank you for your notice of my responsibility. It warms my heart that even a foreigner can appreciate it."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

The Black Queen and her two advisors sit and watch as the commotion at the table unfolds, and then with Mord's words Teitra raises her legs to be propped up against the war table while Oliphey and Julianne do their best to hold back looks of disgust.

"I like the way the Drow thinks. How far along the line of succession are you, Keira? Do you think if we killed a couple of your family members you'd be able to rule Fovoham loyally?"

The Duke and the Confessor both seem unsure if the Queen is joking or giving out an order.

"No matter, we share a similar faith in our good Marshall and it would be horrible to lose more of our land to the miscreants of my realm. The six of you shall find me a successor to the lands of Limberry. Should you fail to do so is to disobey a direct order from the Queen. I needn't remind you what happens to those who fail in my service."

You can tell that the Queen is awfully glad of the decision reached by this meeting.

"But my Queen... the Inquisition..."

"Let them play their game. Our agents will know how to best handle them should they prove a thorn in our sides."

"As wise a decision as ever, My Queen."

The unison of Duke Oliphey and Lady Julianne's words have a familiar echo throughout the war room. They had their differences, but they both knew how to work together under their rightful Queen.

"You needn't remind me of how good a ruler I am. Only fetch me a duke half as good as me and this rebellion will be quashed before the spring."

With that, the war room breaks. Teitra, Oliphey, and Julianne all leave the war room to their respective duties, and soon the six of you all follow to find yourselves on the wintry streets of Lesalia, with your mission in tow.

music

The streets of the capitol of Ivalice are as populated as they can be during a winter of starvation. Empty merchant stalls with no goods to sell litter the streets as a reminder of the once prosperous times your country had held. There are several boarded up and condemned buildings with what can be seen to be urchins living inside them, huddled together for what scraps of warmth are available to people of their status. Those few that can be seen wandering the streets are either royal guardsmen keeping the peace, or the lucky few that have been able to find honest work in such trying times. A man clad in brown armor nearly walks right into Zarafae, almost causing a commotion in the middle of the blizzard.

"Excuse me, my lady."

There are a few things that refuse to serve as a grim portent of the struggling times ahead. The clumsy soldier can be found walking into a pub that can be heard overflowing with life and joy. The ringing of metal on metal can be heard from the nearby forge that seems to be attended by a minotaur of towering proportions and an elven apprentice who seems to be doing his earnest.

And even in the midst of this war, you can see what looks to be several children of different kinds making a snowman in the middle of the streets, although there does seem to be some disagreement as to its features.

Days Passed: 0
Date: October 27th, 2397

Feel free to bum about town, go straight to your mission, or just kind of explore the world map. Each location marked by an icon you can travel to without any complications, and travel time will be about a day or two (depending on weather) per icon

I will need a route as to how you guys plan to get to where you're going. A vote would probably hold things up so I'll say Mord gets to pick it this time.

Seeing as your mission doesn't have a direct objective, checking out the forts & towns of limberry would probably be a good place to start.

Your location is indicated by Mord, and will change at random points in the story.

Keira: Where are your lands located, and what is the line of succession for the duchy of Fovoham?

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 29, 2016

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

If she heard Zarafae's threat it is hard to tell given that Nina doesn't react at all. She simply faces whoever is speaking and attentively listens, dedicating full focus to the task. Once Nina receives the new order she receives it as splendidly as all others. "We will not fail you, My Queen." She performs a full bow with robotic yet sincere precision and leaves with a new fire banishing the usual glossiness in her eyes.

---

Although Nina has quarters befitting her station they are simply the place where she most often chooses to sleep and it is simply kept clean to a degree of military precision that suggests the barracks could be inspected at any moment. This makes packing a quick endeavor save for one five minute meditation before a small bookshelf. Eventually Nina decides upon a proper companion and picks a book up, tucking it into a weather-proof leather wrap that goes by her sheath. Hoisting her shield and pack up, Nina wishes the servants a polite formal farewell before departing.

Punctuality is the best way to be, Nina muses, as she makes certain to catch up to Keira. The plan is elegant in it's simplicity: she waits outside the hall nearest the Countess' guest room, a towering sentry that inspires more than one person to change routes. Nina raises one hand in polite greeting and even performs a half bow once she spots Keira approaching.

"Countess Fovoham." Nina closes to within a polite minimum speaking distance and looms over her for a moment, staring with unsettling composure. Rushing words was short term gain for long term foolishness, after all. "Your House will withstand these inquiries. I pledge my full will to our task and with a successful mission we will prove that loyalty beyond all doubt."

---

For the moment Nina will have no pressing business in town. After all, she is fully prepared. The destination need only be set.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 29, 2016

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

Aseir sits in silence, taking the argument in. He shoots a quick sideways glance at Zarafae as she threatens Nina and outright glares at her as she insults Seigmund. He moves his mouth as if to speak in response, but decides that the Deacon can defend himself if need be. Rather than trade barbs, he decides to listen the meeting through to get a better feel of his compatriots' personalities and stances.

As the queen speaks, he nods along with the Duke and the Lady before giving a full bow at the end of the meeting. He walks outside next to the Deacon, following the rest of the group at a distance. He tugs on the Deacon's sleeve to slow him before nodding at Zarafae and whispering, "I feel we'll have a great deal of trouble with the heretic before this is through. My hopes are that we can keep her contained if we must work with her. I only pray she won't unravel this kingdom further with her rush to violence."

---

Aseir keeps a spartan living quarters and doesn't have much to pack. He grabs a spare set of robes, his worn copy of Bahamut's Word and some rations and tosses them in his backpack before donning his armor and strapping his spear and javelins to his back. Before he leaves his quarters, he takes a knee and clutches the miniature head of the Platinum Dragon hanging from a necklace around his neck, uttering, "Bahamut, grant me the strength and courage to restore justice and order to this troubled land, and guide my actions and those of my companions that we shall accomplish this task without erring from your way. Amen." He then heads out to meet up with the rest of his group.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 29, 2016

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

: “I’ll prepare a list for you, my Queen. It’s an extensive one, though, and most are easier to control than to kill.”

I also need to make up some believable lies about them, Keira finishes to herself. Perhaps if she exaggerates their strength in a couple areas, or highlights their weaknesses, the Queen won’t be so quick to joke about killing her family. After the display with the Duchess Limberry, Keira finds it even less funny than she normally would.

After the meeting adjourns, Keira gets a stack of paper, takes her old cipher out of the hidden pocket in her dress, and begins crafting simple coded letters to her contacts in Limberry, letting them know she wants to meet. They are likely afraid of the Black Queen and might have heard that Keira is now working for her, but she includes assurances that they won’t be harmed. She doesn’t expect many will heed the call, but she knows of particularly good clandestine meeting spots in most of the dwellings along the route to Limberry, and she will wait for them there, should any take up the offer.

Should no one show up, Keira knows the commander of Fort Besselit, from when she and a group of mercenaries, the Sons of Decimation, helped defend it from a bandit attack nearly a decade ago. She can probably convince him to help.

Once Keira is satisfied with the messages, she pockets them and begins freshening up. Just a little more liner might be able to hide the fear on her face. Not totally satisfied, but knowing fussing will only make it worse, she dabs on a touch more perfume and exits the room, making toward some key drop locations in the city where she can place the letters and expect them to be delivered. She stops dead in her tracks and almost jumps out of her skin, however, when she hears Inquisitor Nina speaking to her. Keira was so focused on her plan that she barely noticed Nina was there.

Keira holds a hand over her heart and laughs awkwardly.

: “Forgive my outburst, you startled me! I thank you for your kind words. I appreciate the pledge, though it will no doubt prove unnecessary. My family may not be perfect, but they are not traitors, either. So... is there anything I can do for you? It’s unusual, though not unwelcome, to see you up here in the guest wings.”

She laughs again, feeling the secret letters burning a hole in her pockets under the burned Inquisitor’s gaze.

Succession is:
1. Edrik (the current ruler)
2. Henrik
3. Willem
4. Gertrude
5. Lilyan
6. Keira
7. Marion
8. Ehlen

The boys come first, at least in Fovoham, so the actual birth order is slightly between the two halves of the list staggered. The oldest is Edrik at about 40, and the youngest is Ehlen, who just turned 16. Keira is 28. Even Ehlen got a little land from the old Duke’s will, though hers is little more than a nice house in a podunk village.

Keira’s lands are in the western part of Fovoham, near the Windflats. The farms she rules are constantly having their topsoil swept away by the intense winds of the plains, so it is not exactly wealthy territory.

Her report to the Queen is going to be mostly accurate, since she knows outright lies will be found out by the Queen’s agents, but she does try to put the most nonthreatening spin on things that she can.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

"Thank you, but I am content." Standing ramrod straight she waits for Keira to regain composure.

Placing a hand on Keira's shoulder, Nina simultaneously offers a firm assurance and makes sure the Countess remains grounded. It's a soft touch that matches a little laugh. "I think we are all unnerved by what happened to the Duchess." The voice of the Burned is not raspy, crackling or even somber. Just formal and quiet with a small hint of girlishness. "I trust your sincerity and I trust you. If you represent Fovoham then we are well served." Nina withdraws her hand. "Maybe you would even be our successor. The good and just deserve to be rewarded." Nina's eyes close for a moment in thoughtful appreciation. Then she's staring down again, fully focused on Keira's face.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
The Deacon nods in response to Aseir's comment, but decides against responding in kind, if only out of courtesy to the filthy heathen across the table from him. He keeps his mouth shut in order to avoid sparking further arguments, pointless they are, and takes his leave after everyone else has left. He has no need to visit his quarters for belongings: he has all that he needs on his person. Not that his quarters are barren, mind. They are full of scripture, scrolls, and various logs of his studies and reflections on the texts he reads. Simple candles keep the room illuminated, and a modest bed is in the corner. A simple and warm room for a warm person.

Razinov has business in town before departing, however. Given that he is soon to leave the city, he intends to check with the local guardsmen, asking of any troubles in recent days along the roads he intends to travel. As a man of the cloth, he wears little protection beyond cloth, and so has particular interest in being told of potential dangers, lest they take him by surprise. Not that it would matter. Bahamut's holy light will see to it that he reaches his destination unharmed.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

Zarafae stands up from her chair, clenches the singular black enameled gauntlet she's wearing into a fist and brings it up in front of her chest as she bows deeply to Teitra. "The Black Hand favors you, my Queen. Your will be done." As she slowly rises from her bow she shoots a hateful glare at Keira, then turns around and leaves the war room without delay.

---

Zarafae's accommodations at the Castle were a large step up from the common chambers the lowly acolytes of the Order lived in, she almost didn't know what to do with most of the furnishings and had left the room largely untouched while staying there. She closes the door behind her and walks up to the window and shuts the curtains to cast the room in darkness. She draws her long blade and places it at her feet, then she kneels down in front of it and bows her head in prayer.

"Lord Bane, I submit myself to you and swear my undying loyalty to you above all. Grant me your power so that I can bring fear to your enemies and strike down those who defy you. I live only to serve the Black Hand."

She gets up on her feet again and sheathes her blade, then puts the scabbard on her back and picks up her belongings that she had packed in advance. She smooths her robes then exits her room to make her way out on the freezing streets of the city and meet up with the others.

---

Zarafae hardly has the time to start feeling the cold in earnest before the buffoon in brown armor narrowly avoids barging into her. With her face cast in shadow by the hood of her robe her radiant blue eyes stand out even more than usual. She fixes the man with a gaze to rival the weather. "Watch your step, guardsman. The streets can be treacherous in this weather, it would be a shame if you were to slip and fall on something sharp. Now hurry on along into the warmth."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Sir Mord

"As you will, My Queen," Sir Mord says as she dismisses the council, bowing and marching out.

Before leaving the city, Sir Mord separates from the others and makes a quick visit to a tavern. The Rusty Nail is just as seedy as it sounds, and there he finds Sir Kalvan, his friend and second-in-command of the boys he ran with in the Crimson Dawn. Since being blacklisted for their conduct in the Chat Bonnet case, jobs had been hard to come by for the mercenaries. Mostly they’d been hanging out in the tavern on Sir Mord’s credit, making a nuisance of themselves. But Mord always expected they’d be useful eventually. I’m on the up and up, working in the Queen’s inner circle. Hitch your wagons to mine, boys, and there’ll be a lot of good things coming your way, he’d said to them. He liked to look at them as the first members of his retinue. It made him feel like a real lord.

“Got something for you to do,” Mord says, figuring it would interest the bored mercenary. “Lots of things going on and I can’t be everywhere at once. I want you to take the boys up north to Fovoham. The Inquisition’s making moves against the Duke and I need to know what their game is, what they’re planning. Shake down some acolytes or whatever, I don’t really care how you go about it, just don’t get caught. We’re not at war with them yet. I'll be going to Linberry, probably the castle, send a message there if I haven't returned here by the same time you have.”

I’m ready to go. Route: R.C.Lesalia->Gollund->Araguay->Zeirchelle Falls->Fort Besselit. Gather information at Besselit, see if we should go Lefondes or Wasteland from there.

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 30, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Siegmund Razinov

Wandering through the inclement weather of Lesalia, you're able to find what looks to be one of the city guardsmen helping a merchant's wagon stuck in the snow. While anybody else would have been accosted for wasting the town guard's time, your station and your influence are recognized almost immediately by the woman clad in armor.

"Danger? What isn't dangerous about the roads these days?"

After a while, she realizes that the answer she gave you wasn't too helpful.

"There are brigands hoping to secure a quick coin all throughout Limberry. Rumor has it that there are cities willing to harbor soldiers of the Duke, scum of the earth that they are. Don't get me started on the cyclops that's decided to make his home around Bervenia- who knows how much business that thing has driven out of that town."

When she realizes that she has no more information to give, she returns to helping the merchant bring his wagon to a refuge from the blizzard.

Zarafae Quavein

The man looks visibly scared when you affix your gaze to his, and moves along as quickly as he can to get to the tavern. It's a good feeling, knowing your god is watching over you should a fight break out in the middle of the street.

Sir Mord - The Rusty Nail

Sir Kalvan has an opportunistic look in his eye, the same kind you recognize from your mercenary days.

"Can do, boss. How much you thinking we're getting for this gig?"

After a moment, he shakes his head and drinks from the bottle on his table.

"Nevermind your price. You've always paid us well, I've no reason to think you've decided to turn into a miser overnight. I'll find the rest of my boys and we'll head up to Riovanes first thing tomorrow."
10g for the company is the normal rate.

From the top part of the bar, you hear a gray-haired man clad in brown armor shouting.

"DRINK UP, LADS! THIS NEXT ROUND IS ON THE CRIMSON SKULLS!"

Sir Kalvan looks amused at the drunken antics on the upper level.

"I'd buy you a drink, but it looks like someone beat me to the punch."

Make your follow up posts, my next post will be you guys leaving town.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Sir Mord

Mord throws a coinpurse into Sir Kalvan's lap.

[-10g]

"Up front. Buy yourself something pretty," Sir Mord quips. "Get a bonus if you bring something valuable. Who's our sponsor?" he asks, nodding in the direction of the brown-armored man upstairs.

[Does Mord know anything about the Crimson Skulls?]

Mord accepts the free drink. He doesn't stay long at the tavern but is still a little late in joining the rest of the team, a faint but unmistakable hint of booze on his breath.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

The smile vanishes from Keira’s face, not because she’s displeased or unhappy, but because it no longer seems to fit the mood. A very rare event. She ponders how to respond for a few moments, taking longer than usual to do that as well.

: “I agree. People rarely get what they deserve though… I don’t really have any claim to Limberry, but I suppose if I had enough support it would be possible. The Queen will probably keep us a bit busy for me to rule an entire Duchy, anyway. Still, thank you for the vote of confidence. If there’s nothing else then, I need to go take care of a couple things about town before we depart. I’ll see you at the gates shortly? I'm certainly looking forward to this journey, now more than ever.”

She waits expectantly, pleasantly surprised by Nina's friendly manner, but still not willing to risk rudely ditching an intimidating inquisitor.

Once I send off the letters, I just need to come back here and pack some stuff and I’ll be ready to go as well.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

"I think you keep yourself the most busy, Countess. Proof of your righteousness." She waits a polite beat, feeling that the need to talk about things like successions and loyalty is always laced with too many heavy meanings. The Queen's faux joke, the implication that Keira might rule over the corpses of a few relatives. It was all very bothersome politics, extra bothersome if it was forcing Nina to double check her words. Even that vote of confidence could be misread!

Ah, they're still having a conversation. Oh my. "We are trusting Marshall Delacroix to win the battle that has already started. I'm certain with your help we can settle the succession before another begins. To win without fighting is divine... our Queen will be most pleased." Nina gives Keira a polite bow. "Thank you for hearing me out Countess." And with that settled she will depart the castle.

---

Paying a bit more attention to her surroundings in the city, Nina considers her options. Waiting at the gate so early seemed too cold even for her. The tavern was a touch too loud and she might need her coin for the mission so spending was irresponsible. She still felt drawn to the noble minotaur and his forge and ends up inquiring about any exceptional commissions for arms.

Her own sword was a mass produced replica cast in the likeness of the legendary Asura, made to easily draw blood and with a black finish that complimented the Queen's tastes... but one day she would like to have a real legend at her side.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

Aseir stops at the Temple of Bahamut before leaving to meet Yuril, who is (indirectly) providing the Queen updates and intel on the Church from inside the Temple. He finds her praying as he walks in and asks her to take him to her quarters to talk. He looks out the door before shutting it and quietly asking, "Yuril, how are things going in the church? Are they as tense as they are within the palace? I wonder if you should ask the palace if you are to join the Inquisition? I'm sure they would welcome an inside source...

"Anyway," he continues, even more quietly, "I've gotten my assignment; I'll be heading to Limberry for a while to solve the succession problem that just opened up. Keep an eye on things here and try to keep a finger on how the Queen is doing too, ok? I'll meet you as soon as I get back. Be safe, my love." He gives her a kiss and leaves the temple to meet his companions.

That's all Aseir had to do in town; he's ready to go.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Sir Mord- The Rusty Nail

Sir Kalvan accepts the gold with little difficulty and gives you a reassuring nod. Before the words come out of Sir Kalvan's mouth, you feel like you already know everything he's saying.

"Him? That's Wiett, Leader of the Crimson Skulls. Normally they do business in Ordallia, but they picked up a job in Lesalia when they heard they heard the war business was booming."

You also know of rumors surrounding them, such as their leader bearing a disgraced lineage and dabbling in the dark arts.

"They say they name themselves after their uncanny ability to paint their enemies red. Bullshit. I think they picked whatever name sounded the meanest and went with it."

Sir Kalvan takes another swig of his drink and then claims the one Wiett had only recently bought for them.

"Not like it matters though. A free drink is a free drink, no matter who's buying."

Nina the Burned

Entering the blacksmith's shop, you recognize the swordshaper as Mankus, one of the few Minotaur to be found in Lesalia. A towering man-bull who is mostly known for his work on falchions, katanas, and greatswords- making them out of usable materials that aren't common in the blacksmithing trade, and socketing gems into their hilts to imbue them with a magical power. When he talks, his voice sounds as if it's the product of dozens of years of fire and smoke on his vocal chords.

"Can I help you?

Mankus seems to be letting his apprentice be doing some training while the business is slow.

Aseir Jassan

Yuril looks somewhat surprised by Aseir's visit. Her voice comes through the temple in an urgent whisper.

"What are you doing here! Are you trying for us to have another Earling on our hands?"

Despite her urgency, you can tell that she is at least somewhat glad to see you.

"I'll let you know what I can find out. Safe travels, my love."

Okay, travels might be a bit later than I anticipated

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

(I'm ready to go anytime.)

"Good day to you, sir. I am looking for any unusual blades that you may have serviced or seen pass through the city." Nina idly wonders if she had been here too many times before. Some of the smiths tended to be less than indulgent in her wild goose chases. It was unavoidable, legendary arms wouldn't be very unique if they were readily available. Her only sure plan was constant vigilance!

"I am also departing for Limberry today. Might you know of anything there?" All the subtle well-meaning tact of a runaway cart but surely Limberry had to hold established artisans with reputations.

History 24, Streetwise 12

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Nina the Burned

Mankus greets your questions with a wary eye, although he doesn't seem to be one for small talk he does seem somewhat eager to talk about swords.

"Plenty a' blades have left this shop that I haven't caught wind of again. If you've got a name I could probably tell you something more specific, although I did fashion a Kotetsu not too long ago that traveled south of here. Told the guy I made it for if he brought me a gem I could make it fancier- he laughed at the idea. Can't say I blame him."

The Minotaur shrugs at your second question. He doesn't seem to be one to concern himself with the goings-on of other duchies.

The Whole Party- Mining City Gollund
Time Elapsed: 1 Day
Date: October 28th, 2397

The road to Gollund is fairly uneventful, and the weather stays clear enough for the bunch of you to ride on horseback without any difficulties. While you do come across the occasional overturned and looted wagon, or frozen body riddled with arrows, you find no evidence of brigands or thieves currently active on the road ahead. Eventually, a full day passes and the bunch of you make it to Gollund.

The main difference the bunch of you can tell between Gollund and the Royal City is the lack of people. While the Royal City was a place facing hardship- there were still people in it who wanted to make the best of a time of crisis. Gollund doesn't have anybody in its streets- save for the occasional urchin or drunkard. The coal mine, what might have once been the reason for this town's prosperity, sees little use as of late. Guards are sparse, and the six of you are all greeted with wary eyes by the very few people you meet. Passing by an empty house, a familiar tune can be heard from inside the collapsing and empty building.

Near the center of town, you can see a scraggly-toothed old man handing out bread in a first-come, first-serve fashion. The line is short, and the supplies are even shorter.

For some, there's a sense of peace that washes over you as you pass through Gollund. For others, a sense of dread. In either case, the six of you continue along towards your destination.

There is nothing to do here at the moment, you are more than welcome to include a reaction in your next post though

The Whole Party- Araguay Woods
Time Elapsed: 3 days
Date: October 30th, 2397
music

The road from Gollund to the Araguay woods is much more hazardous than the one from Lesalia, both due to the weather and the poor conditions of the road itself. The uneven terrain and the blizzard that has beset your party obscures your vision to the point where you aren't even sure if you're traveling towards Limberry anymore.

Your fears are nearly assuaged when one of you hears the familiar voice of a lady knight calling out from across the nearby river.

"Put down your weapons and surrender immediately!"

The voice isn't so much commanded towards the group of you, but of several other shapes you can make out in the distance.

"No can do, lady. A noble like you has got to fetch a high ransom nowadays"

"For the last time, I'm not-"

The conversation is quickly interrupted by the sound of steel on steel, and soon the six of you hear a voice calling from high above

"Sis, we've got company!"

"Invited a few more nobles to the party? I hope they bleed as good as your friends."

Everyone roll initiative and pick a starting position on the map A-F 10-11 are all fair game, as well as A9-5, Positions are on a first-come, first-serve basis.

We'll be switching back and forth between Isometric and Bird's Eye throughout the campaign, depending on how vertical the battle is going to be. This took a bit longer than expected, as this is my first isometric map and I hosed up hardcore on the previous design (accidental non-euclidean geometry). The maps will get populated with more objects as I'm able to sprite/obtain them, so in the meantime pretend you're in a blizzarding forest.

Water is difficult terrain.

Next post will have rules about vertical movement and range, as well as monster defenses/hp

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Sir Mord

Sir Mord, now dressed in dark heavy leathers and wearing a metal helmet, grins.

"This is good. I haven't killed anyone in days."

Initiative: 1d20+4 17

[Put me in C-10]

pre:
 Sir Mord
HP: 28/28		AC:	18 	Passive Insight: 9
Surges: 10/10 (V: 7)	Fort:	16 	Passive Perception: 9
Initiative: +4		Ref:	17	Vision: Low-Light
Speed: 6		Will:	10	Action Points: 1
Languages: Common, Giant

Short Swords: +9, 1d6+6

At Will			   Encounter			Daily
Dual Strike		   [ ] Second Wind		[ ] Tempest Dance
Threatening Rush           [ ] Vicious Assault	
Combat Challenge           [ ] Furious Assault
                           [ ] Distracting Spate	

Passives:
Half-Orc Resilience: Gain 5/10/15 temp hp when first bloodied in an encounter.
Swift Charge: +2 to speed when charging.
Combat Superiority+Agile Superiority: Add WisDex mod to opportunity attacks. Hits end enemies' movement.
Superior Reflexes: CA against all enemies during first round in encounter.
Light Blade Expertise: +1 damage on attacks with CA.
Surprising Charge: +1[W] damage on charge attacks with CA.

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 2, 2016

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

"At last a sentiment I can agree with." Zarafae smiles wickedly at the towering half-orc. "Let the enemies of the crown face a gruesome death."

Initiative: 1d20+4 12
I'll start on A5

pre:
 Zarafae Quavein
HP: 26/26		AC:	19 	Passive Insight: 14
Surges: 8/8 (V: 13)	Fort:	12 	Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +4		Ref:	15	Vision: Darkvision
Speed: 6		Will:	15	Action Points: 1
Languages: Common, Elven

Fullblade: +8, 1d12+4 (Overwhelming Strike)

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Bond of Pursuit		[ ] Second Wind			[ ] Aspect of Might
Overwhelming Strike	[ ] Guardian's Counter
			[ ] Cloud of Darkness		
			[ ] Angelic Alacrity		
			[ ] Channel Divinity		
			[ ] Oath of Enmity			
Passives:
Power of Skill: Can use Overwhelming Strike as a Basic Attack
Two-Handed Weapon Expertise: +1 bonus to damage rolls when charging.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

Nina chuckles with the smith's last lines and bids him farewell. "I must be going but one day I'd very much like to commission such a worthy blade myself. That gentleman is very fortunate."

---

Nina's traveling rituals are as predictable as the rising and setting of the sun. She always takes point, volunteers for first watch and pays great attention to mundane tasks, such as caring for their horses. Passing through Gollund doesn't bring up any visible reaction from her but she does go missing for the better part of an hour. Stopping to visit a few familiar places and finding each abandoned, she isn't sure what she hopes to find but feels drawn to check.

---

If the presence of monsters or use of threats is supposed to be intimidating... the roar that follows next would put any of them to shame. The quiet knight has her weapon out and a killing intensity in her eyes before even her surlier companions can act! Her understated voice has suddenly tripled in volume as she clears half of the water in an angry advance, a booming yell rising over the splashing.

"BRIGANDS! YOU DEFY THE LAW OF QUEEN HEIRAL! SURRENDER IMMEDIATELY OR FACE HER INVINCIBLE WRATH!"

Initiative 25
Start at A6
Iaijutsu: Draw weapon and Shift to B6
Gain +2 to next Attack vs C6's Big Guy UEOMNT

pre:
Nina Radcliffe  						 
HP: 27/27		AC:	19	Passive Insight: 18
Surges: 11/11 (V: 6)	For:	13	Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +7		Ref:	15	Action Points: 1
Speed: 5		Will:	16      Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Draconic	

Virtuous Strike		[ ] Second Wind			[ ] Majestic Halo
Enfeebling Strike	[ ] Valorous Smite	        [ ] [ ] [ ] Lay on Hands
Ardent Strike	        [ ] Divine Mettle
Divine Challenge        [x] Iaijutsu

Sanction Damage: 7 (3 + Cha Mod)
Longsword: +8, 1d8+4

Passives:
Iaijutsu: If my initiative beats all enemy initiatives, melee can crit on 18-20
Virtuous Recovery: Gain DR 3 after using a Healing Surge USONT
Bitter Challenge: Damage taken from Divine Challenge slows enemy UEOMNT
Heavy Blade Expertise: +2 Defenses against OAs

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 2, 2016

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

Aseir shakes his head, wishing the bandits would have at least tried to negotiate. Times are certainly rough, but to throw your life away over such foolishness...

Now is very much not the time for lamenting though, and he draws his spear and prepares for battle.

Initiative: 1d20 9 e: I'll start at B10

pre:
 Aseir Jassan
HP: 25/25		AC:	16 	Passive Insight: 18
Surges: 8/8 (V: 6)	Fort:	13 	Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +0		Ref:	11	Vision: Low Light
Speed: 5		Will:	15	Action Points: 1
Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic

Spear: +3, 1d8+3 (Versatile)
Javelin +3, 1d6+3 (Heavy Thrown 10/20)

Righteous Brand		[ ] Second Wind			[ ] Beacon of Hope
Sacred Flame		[ ] Twin Strike
			[ ] Healing Strike
			[ ][ ] Healing Word
			[ ] Channel Divinity		

Channel Divinity:
Armor of Bahamut
Divine Fortune
Turn Undead

Passives:
Healer's Lore: Add Wisdom modifier to healing done with Healing Cleric powers
Spear Expertise: +1 bonus to damage rolls when charging.
Holy Symbol Expertise: On attacking with an implement attack, enemies cannot gain 
	combat advantage until the end of next turn.

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 2, 2016

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

Keira tries to get the others to join her in some rousing (and occasionally racy) travel songs along the way, but she will happily sing them by herself if no one wants to.

Seeing Gollund brings sadness more than anything for the Countess. But she remembers what happened last time she was too generous when trying to help people--it made her a target. This time, she spreads out the alms among the urchins and beggars, does so stealthily, and never flashes too much coin at once. She also gives the most to the old man handing out bread, hoping he will buy more with it. If he doesn't, at least he'll be paid for his services.

But that is all just triage. Keira hopes that their work for the kingdom will stab at the true heart of the disease.

(I'm not sure how much I can give out while still being relatively inconspicuous, hopefully Keira has a better idea. Maybe 5g total?)

---

That voice--is that...? Trying to recall who that might be is distracting, and she hasn't been in a proper fight in years. Her heart racing, Keira finally pulls her daggers out of their sheaths and prepares to render what aid they can here.

Initiative: 1d20+4 5 Shameful initiative. I'll take A-7.

pre:
 Keira Fovoham
HP: 24/24		AC:	16 	Passive Insight: 15
Surges: 7/7 (V: 6)	Fort:	12 	Passive Perception: 15
Initiative: +4		Ref:	17	Vision: Normal
Speed: 6		Will:	14	Action Points: 1
Languages: Common, Elven

Daggers (basic melee): +4, 1d4
Daggers (basic ranged): +8, 1d4+4

Sly Flourish		[ ] Second Wind		  [ ] Majestic Word
Clever Strike	        [ ] Positioning Strike    [ ] Duelist's Prowess	
Duelist's Flurry        [ ] Skulking Spy	
Duelist's Prowess Attack				

Passives:
Artful Dodger: +Cha mod (+3) AC vs Opportunity Attacks
First Strike: In first round of combat, gain Combat Advantage against foes that haven't acted yet.
Sneak Attack: Once per turn, deal +2d6 damage if I have Combat Advantage. 
Distracting Feint: After successful Bluff feint, enemy also grants Combat Advantage to my allies.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
The Deacon will join Keira's song with his usual addition to choirs: the bass backing. It starts out as a simple quiet humming, but evolves into a deeper, throaty melody. Anything to keep things from devolving into small talk. The less actual conversation, the more likely the heretic will speak up and make things even worse for everyone.

-------------------------------

The voice rings familiar, though he is not completely sure of why, at least until he gets closer. Which he does. Unlike the others, however, he already has his walking stick out with him, and does his best to remain calm despite combat clearly starting.

Initiative: 1d20+5 19

(I say F10)

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

The Entire Party- Ambush at Araguay Woods
music

Initiative: 2#1d20+4 11 17
Initiative: 1d20+9 11
Initiative: 1d20+1 19
Initiative: 2#1d20+4 16 13

The blizzarding wind howls as the elves and orcs draw their weapons, and the mighty Yeti lets loose a deafening roar. Amidst the chaos, all of you can hear the Brigands' leader issue out an order.

"Capture the nobles, kill the rest!"

Nina and Deacon are up first! Be sure to include parameters for when you want to use your interrupts so this battle can go as smoothly as possible. Feel free to go at any time, enemy turns will be after you guys post.

About Vertical Movement Each of you is able to move at least one tile upwards automatically, vertically. Anything above that is going to require an athletics check, with a DC of 5+5n (where N is the number of tiles you want to go up, so in other terms, 15 for 2, 20 for 3, 25 for 4, etc.). Jumping does not cost any movement aside from the tile you're moving to. You guys can melee attack enemies adjacent to you that are one tile above you (two if you have a reach weapon). Jump numbers might change over time depending on how strong/weak they are.

Water is difficult Terrain

pre:
Monster Stats

Ellarian HP 26/26 AC 13 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 12
Shyael HP 25/25 AC 15 Fort 14 Ref 16 Will 14
Elric HP 22/22 AC 13 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 12
Skul'Kan HP 39/39 AC 13 Fort 12 Ref 13 Will 11
Groshak HP 31/31 AC 13 Fort 12 Ref 13 Will 11

Bumbo HP 44/44 AC 18 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will 12

Lady Knight HP 39/39, AC 16 Fort 14, Ref 13, Will 16
pre:
Initiative Order & Positions
Nina (25)      (B6)
Siegmund (19) (F10)

Bumbo(19) (C-D 6-5)

Mord (17)     (C10)

Elric (17)   (G1)
  Skul'Kan (16)(E4)
  Groshak (13) (F7)

Zarafae (12)   (A5)

Ellarian (11) (J11)
 Shyael(11)    (D7)
 Lady Knight   (E7)

Aseir (9)      (B10)
Keira (5)      (A7)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

"Legendary sword that kills freely! ASURA!!" With an elegant drawing of the blade Nina's frame erupts in wild flames, an explosive burst of fire surging up her arm and through her blade as she impales Bimbo through a protesting arm and deeply into his side. In the wake of the sudden strike Nina stands tall, now enshrouded in glorious fire that burns the fresh blood off of her armor and blade, the legendary red spirit whipping around the steel's edge. Stolen by any common thief it would just be a replica... but in her hands the spirit answers a call, reflected in the intensity of her glare. The Burned is here.

Iajutsu: Critical Range to 18-20 this Round.
Move: Shift to C7
Standard: Majestic Halo vs Yeti AC 28 Critical!

Deals 28 Radiant Damage(3d8+4) and until the end of the encounter any enemy that starts its turn adjacent to me is marked by Divine Sanction UEONT.

Passive: Yeti and Shyael are affected by Divine Sanction UEONT and will take 7 Radiant Damage for every attack they make that doesn't include me.

Minor: Divine Challenge on Groshak. Marked, -2 Attack against others and Sanction Damage if not including me in attack. Gro is also Slowed UEOMNT if he triggers this.

pre:
Nina Radcliffe  						 
HP: 27/27		AC:	19	Passive Insight: 18
Surges: 11/11 (V: 6)	For:	13	Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +7		Ref:	15	Action Points: 1
Speed: 5		Will:	16      Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, Draconic	

Virtuous Strike		[ ] Second Wind			[X] Majestic Halo
Enfeebling Strike	[ ] Valorous Smite	        [ ] [ ] [ ] Lay on Hands
Ardent Strike	        [ ] Divine Mettle
Divine Challenge        [x] Iaijutsu

Sanction Damage: 7 (3 + Cha Mod)
Longsword: +8, 1d8+4

Passives:
Iaijutsu: If my initiative beats all enemy initiatives, melee can crit on 18-20
Virtuous Recovery: Gain DR 3 after using a Healing Surge USONT
Bitter Challenge: Damage taken from Divine Challenge slows enemy UEOMNT
Heavy Blade Expertise: +2 Defenses against OAs

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 3, 2016

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Deacon Siegmund Razinov

Perhaps they need an example made of their allies. The Deacon looks around, surveying the battlefield. An injured beast ready to move, a knight surrounded on both sides, a curious sight: several men up on high cliffs, watching down from above. Oh what little they know. He smiles, and waves over at the brigand on high.

"Hello there! You'd best watch your step. You look like you're about to fall."

Dimensional Scramble, at Ellarian, J11, 1 square above them!: 1d20+5 21 vs Fort, so a hit.
Damage!: 1d6+4 7

And with a quick motion of his stick and a glow in his eyes, he's got a fix on their aura, their ties to the gods, and what makes them oh so vulnerable to divine influence. Just as a god can put down a playing piece, so too can it pick one up and put it elsewhere. In this case, off the cliff and about another two units upward.

(Moving Ellarian to I11 and up two squares. Teleportation doesn't follow the rules of Forced Movement, so I am able to. Granted, they get a saving throw to avoid falling to their possible deaths, but this was just so silly that I had to try it, and was half-hoping it'd just happen by virtue of hilarity.)

(As for any contingencies, if anyone fails a roll by 1, I can use Adept Insight to boost that. Or, if it's 2-5, I can augment it, but in general, save it for if you miss by 3 or less and really want it to succeed, like on an Encounter power.)

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 3, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Sorry about the late reply. I was trying to make a .gif of Nina's sweet Crit but it was taking much longer than expected and I didn't want to hold up the thread any more.

I'd like to request that everyone include combat blocks in their posts, just to make things easier for everyone.

When Nina's Blade meets the yeti's arm, a sharp howl can be heard throughout the battlefield. Although it seems to be one that consists almost entirely of pain, the creature's volume intensifies in a matter of seconds as a cry of pain becomes a challenge of a much more ferocious nature. The sound is nearly deafening to those closeby- namely, Zarafae, Nina, Keira, and the Lady Knight who happens to be closeby. Although most of you are able to cover your ears to withstand the Yeti's challenge, Nina is unable to and can feel a sharp ringing in her ears long after the Yeti's Yell is issued.

Saving Throw (Plummet): 1d20 19
Ferocious Roar (vs Will): 4#1d20+6 16 9 10 10
Damage (Nina): 2d6+2 14 Psychic Damage
And you are Marked (save ends)

Mord is up

pre:
Monster Stats

Ellarian HP 19/26 AC 13 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 12
Shyael HP 25/25 AC 15 Fort 14 Ref 16 Will 14 (Divine Sanction)
Elric HP 22/22 AC 13 Fort 12 Ref 14 Will 12
Skul'Kan HP 39/39 AC 13 Fort 12 Ref 13 Will 11
Groshak HP 31/31 AC 13 Fort 12 Ref 13 Will 11 (Marked)

Bumbo HP 16/44 AC 18 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will 12 (Divine Sanction) (Bloodied)

Lady Knight HP 39/39, AC 16 Fort 14, Ref 13, Will 16
pre:
Initiative Order
Nina (25)   (C5)
Deacon (19) (F10)

Bumbo(19) (C-D 6-5)

Mord (17) (C10)

Elric (17)   (G1)
 Skul'Kan (16)(E4)
 Groshak (13) (F7)

Zarafae (12)  (A5)

Ellarian (11) (J11)
 Shyael(11)    (D7)
 Lady Knight   (E7)

Aseir (9) (B10)
Keira (5) (A7)

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Sir Mord

Mord draws his blades, which look more like a butcher's cleavers than proper swords, and makes to charge the big yeti, but Nina somehow makes it there first. Switching targets, he instead leaps towards the orc facing the knight.

Standard: Charge to E-8. Melee Basic Attack(Charge, CA) vs AC: 1d20+9+1+2 24 Hit! Groshak takes 1d6+6+1+1d6 15 damage and is Marked(superseding Nina's Mark).

Mord's blade cuts deep into the orc's arm, and he follows up with a furious string of blows and feints, tearing apart Groshak's defenses.

:siren:ACTION POINT:siren:

Standard: Distracting Spate(CA) vs AC: 1d20+11 21 Hit! Groshak takes 2d6+10+1 21 damage and grants CA to Mord UEOMNT. Also, he is dead.

The orc falls to the quarter-orc's attack. There's blood everywhere.

CONTINGENCIES: Opportunity attacks are +13/1d6+6(+15/1d6+7 with CA) and stop movement on hit. Feel free to roll on my behalf to keep things moving.

pre:
 Sir Mord
HP: 28/28		AC:	18 	Passive Insight: 9
Surges: 10/10 (V: 7)	Fort:	16 	Passive Perception: 9
Initiative: +4		Ref:	17	Vision: Low-Light
Speed: 6		Will:	10	Action Points: 0
Languages: Common, Giant

Short Swords: +9, 1d6+6

At Will			   Encounter			Daily
Dual Strike		   [ ] Second Wind		[ ] Tempest Dance
Threatening Rush           [ ] Vicious Assault	
Combat Challenge           [ ] Furious Assault
                           [x] Distracting Spate	

Passives:
Half-Orc Resilience: Gain 5/10/15 temp hp when first bloodied in an encounter.
Swift Charge: +2 to speed when charging.
Combat Superiority+Agile Superiority: Add WisDex mod to opportunity attacks. Hits end enemies' movement.
Superior Reflexes: CA against all enemies during first round in encounter.
Light Blade Expertise: +1 damage on attacks with CA.
Surprising Charge: +1[W] damage on charge attacks with CA.

Werewhale fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 4, 2016

• Locked thread