Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

"False god? You shall see who is false when you meet them!" Aseir says in draconic, directed at the Dragonborn.

Righteous Brand vs Dragonborn [STR vs AC]: 1d20+4 22 1d8+3 4

Didn't realize he was dead by the time of this post

Aseir strides over to Kevan, holding his spear in the air to sanctify it on the way. One he arrives, he shoves the spear, now glowing yellow, directly through Kevan's armor, searing him but unfortunately not taking him down yet. He points over towards Nina, "Bahamut lets not his faithful fall, be strong again, Nina!

Move to C18 and Healing Strike on Kevan [STR vs AC]: 1d20+4 20 2d8+3 13 Radiant

In addition, Kevan is marked until EOMNT and Nina can spend a Healing Surge.

pre:
 Aseir Jassan
HP: 25/25		AC:	16 	Passive Insight: 18
Surges: 8/8 (V: 6)	Fort:	13 	Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +0		Ref:	11	Vision: Low Light
Speed: 5		Will:	15	Action Points: 1
Languages: Common, Elven, Draconic

Spear: +4, 1d8+3 (Versatile)
Javelin +4, 1d6+3 (Heavy Thrown 10/20)

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Righteous Brand		[ ] Second Wind			[ ] Beacon of Hope
Sacred Flame		[ ] Twin Strike
			[ ] Healing Strike
			[x][ ] Healing Word
			[ ] Channel Divinity		

Channel Divinity:
Armor of Bahamut, Divine Fortune, Turn Undead

Passives:
Healer's Lore: Add Wisdom modifier to healing done with Healing Cleric powers
Spear Expertise: +1 bonus to damage rolls when charging.
Holy Symbol Expertise: On attacking with an implement attack, enemies cannot gain 
	combat advantage until the end of next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Zarafae Quavein

Having caught her breath, Zarafae peeks around the tree. Looks like the foes are scattering, that little weasel of a gnome must've been one of their leaders then. She shakes off the pain in her shoulder and lifts her blade again. How foolish were they if they thought they could escape.

As she quickly circles the field of battle she can hear that voice again, this time singing beautifully. It seems like Keira's talent was useful for more than distracting fickle nobility after all. With the roaring ball of flame hopefully taken care of, that leaves that ridiculous dragonborn who is flailing about extremely visibly near that tree there. Yes, you. I can see you. Everyone can. Well, maybe not Mord...

Zarafae holds her blade low behind her as she charges at him, then brings it upwards with slash, drawing a long shallow wound across Heskan's chest. She continues the motion and slashes horizontally, forcing the dragonborn to move away from his cover to avoid certain death. As they're facing off against each other in the open, it's abundantly clear that certain death was still on the table.

She locks her eyes with his, daring him to even so much as breathe. "You made a grave error in judgement if you thought us easy prey. Now you pay for it." The scent of blood lies thick in the air.

Move: Walk to G33
Standard: Charge to D29! Overwhelming Strike vs Heskan: 2d20k1+8+1+1 28 vs AC, hit! 1d12+4+2+6+1 15 damage. Zarafae shifts to E29. Heskan slides to D29.
107/15 = ~7.1 Hey, we're getting there! Too bad about that damage roll...

:siren: Using "Don't you even dare!" on Heskan and myself. He can't attack me on his next turn.

pre:
 Zarafae Quavein
HP: 9/26		AC:	20	Passive Insight: 14
Surges: 7/8 (V: 6)	Fort:	12	Passive Perception: 20
Initiative: +4		Ref:	15 (+1)	Vision: Darkvision
Speed: 6 (+2)		Will:	15 	Action Points: 1
Languages: Common, Elven

Fullblade: +8, 1d12+4 (Overwhelming Strike)

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Bond of Pursuit		[ ] Second Wind			[X] Aspect of Might
Overwhelming Strike	[ ] Guardian's Counter	
			[ ] Cloud of Darkness		[ ] Veteran's Cloth Armor
			[X] Angelic Alacrity		
			[ ] Channel Divinity		
			[X] Oath of Enmity			
Passives
Censure of Pursuit: If my Oath of Enmity target moves away from me willingly
 I gain a +6 bonus to damage rolls against that target UEOMNT.
Power of Skill: Can use Overwhelming Strike as a Basic Attack.
Two-Handed Weapon Expertise: +1 bonus to damage rolls when charging.

Temporary Effects
Aspect of Might: +5 Athletics, +2 Speed, +2 Melee Damage. (Until end of encounter)

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Nina, Aseir, and Mord

Kevan looks incredibly shocked at the loss of his Dragonborn friend, and soon the damage of Nina's Blade and Aseir's charge is more than enough to scare the Bahamut into him.

"OoHooOo! Gotta run!"

He quickly throws down a smoke bomb, only moments later to be seen slowly and clumsily running through the woods, breathing heavily along the entire way.

Any of you can chase him down and kill him, or you can let him run. Your call.

Zarafae

Heskan's look of overconfidence turns quickly into fear when your blade pierces into his flesh. He hisses somewhat angrily when the Mayor emerges from the coach just out on the street. You could've sworn that he was staying in one of the tents.

"What are you all DOING awake at this time of night!"

Quickly realizing what's going on, he yells at the Dragonborn engaged with Zarafae.

"You there! Dragonborn! Don't you even *dare* lay a finger on my precious Zarafae, or you'll *wish* a slow and painful death was what was in store for you!"

Just then, another large roar of thunder comes in from the west.

*BOOOOOOOOOOOM*

The roar is enough to shake everyone's footing, and give the dragonborn a chance to escape- or so it thinks. Zarafae is quick enough to cut it down where it stands.

You can kill Heskan now, knock him out for later, or let him run.

Keira & Siegmund

The blast of lightning from the west shakes and scares the bomb, almost panicking it into exploding. However, Keira's and Siegmund's tag team of melodies are able to woo the bomb into submission. Gradually shrinking into its normal, pocket-sized form. She headbutts Keira somewhat affectionately as the chaos and tension begins to unwind.

You take 2 fire damage.

*roar*

Remember you can only have one passive active at a time, so you'll have to choose between LaBamba's and Hugo's

Congratulations! The Battle is Complete!

Everyone levels up and gets an extended rest. Remember, action points are reset to 1 after an ER.

Make your decisions and IC posts. I believe Gavin and Surima are stirring back to consciousness.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nina the Burned

Chasing isn't Nina's strong suit. Heavy armor, long limbs, flat feet, an annoying little heathen... the second the smokebomb hits Nina steps forward and thrusts downwards. Kevan staggering can be easily explained as little legs pumping the blood through his body extra fast and accelerating traumatic blood loss. "Not your best." Nina withdraws her blade with a side slash, splaying half of his guts across the grass. She walks away from the carnage and begins to wipe at her blade, tempering it with summoned flame.

Nina surveys the rest of the group and spies something that makes her move quickly, sheathing her blade. Initially heading towards Zara the quickening of her pace is a bit sudden for the level-headed inquisitor. She passes the fussy Drow by without pause and stops before La Bamba. For a few moments she gives the elemental a flat stare... then tentatively holds her hand out, palm up. After a moment and without any negative reaction, Nina then closes in and affectionately pats the Bomb on the head. The look of serenity on her face is a match for when Julian asked her to dance.

Then it's back to duty, Nina making a round with the others to help with tending to wounds and inspecting their prisoners. Gavin will probably be under Zara's gaze for the moment, so Nina begins binding Surima. She gestures offhandedly towards Bharakas' and Kevan's remains. "They are very well outfitted for mercenaries. I believe the acquisition of wealth from "wayward adventurers" is one of Bahamut's more obscure tenets... but then Dragons will be Dragons, and a God of Dragons will be as a Dragon, yes?" She chuckles to herself.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 19, 2016

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

Aseir slides his spear onto his back again and walks over to the Bomb, smiling and carefully holding out his hand to pet it. He then walks over to the prisoners. He helps Nina secure the dragonborn with rope, gagging them both for the time being to avoid their breath when they wake up. "Well that was a fun alarm," he says to no one in particular before squatting near the prisioners, watching and waiting for them to wake for an interrogation.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

Keira chuckles and wraps her hand around a bit of silk on her gown so she can gingerly reach out and try to pet LaBomba for the briefest of instants. She is definitely concerned and surprised about the explosion or thunderbolt to the west, but for now, Keira needs to take care of this beast before she becomes unstable again.

Once that task is done, she leads their new friend back to the rest of the group carefully and slowly, so as not to spook her, whispering gentle reassurances the entire time. Then, she summons up her courage and resolve to speak to the party about something that has been on her mind for some time.

: “Listen everyone. It isn't feasible to keep shuttling prisoners back and forth between various castles. I propose we have the trials here, in the field. I can serve as judge, as I am part of the ruling hierarchy blessed by the gods. With our priests to bless the proceedings, it would be no different than a court in the capital. Well, more bugs and cold, perhaps, but those are minor details. What say you?”

And I'd rather not give our prisoners up to be tortured like the last one, she leaves unspoken.

Just then, Keira realizes how ridiculous she probably looks, standing there with straps of leather bound to her over her soft gown, but she tries not to let her awkward amusement show.

Orbs fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 19, 2016

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

Seems the Inquisitor is watching Keira carefully. The conflict is easy to sense but she does hold authority. "A wise decision. We seem to have become unusually popular, though we will have to deliver any who earn a lighter sentence in your eyes. Besides, I have already executed the chief heretics. I pray the others will not follow down that blasphemous road." Nina doesn't bring any attention towards Keira's ridiculous attire but instead stands before her, offering a dutiful recital of the Draconic shouted throughout the battle. This should benefit anyone who doesn't speak or understand Draconic.

Translation from Draconic posted:

Bharakas: "Gavin, I swear to gently caress if that bomb went off..."

Gavin: "Shaddap you moron! I had nothin' ta do with that!"

Bharakas: "Leave the Drow alive. Kill the rest!"

Bharakas: "Gavin! You better get that bomb in here right now!"

Gavin: "Would you shut up already! No names!"

Heskan: "They said alive, they didn't say unhurt!"

Gavin: "GET 'ER, LABAMBA! PROTECT YOUR MASTER!"

Bharakas: "False words from a false god."

Bharakas: "I almost pity you fools."

Gavin: "Stop her! You fools! LaBamba! Keep her in place!"

Gavin: "Stay down, you god damned drow! This was supposed to be an easy job!"

Gavin: "AHHH! FORGET IT! STOP HER! STOP HER RIGHT NOW!"

Nina delivers each line as deadpan as the last, then speaks with sudden seriousness. "Countess, it seems Zarafae's enemies just became ours. We have been scouted out and targeted by a greater heathen that commands these fools. Something very serious is wrong."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

"They were enemies of Bahamut as much as they were of Zarafae," Aseir says to Nina. "I do not believe they were here solely for her, for they had knowledge enough of us to know we spread the Word of Bahamut, even though we were not in our vestments. It is more likely they were sent by the Duke than by enemies of Bane.

(edit:)
"Also, I would agree with field trials if we are to go through the heightened risk to capture those trying to kill us in the heat of battle. It is certainly impractical to carry prisoners across the continent, and it doesn't always seem like they meet better fates where they end up anyway..." he says, alluding to Shyael's... "sentence".

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 19, 2016

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

Heskan makes it one, two, three steps on his way to freedom. Then he finds a massive blade sticking a good two feet out of his sternum. Shock takes him before he has a chance to feel any pain. Zarafae puts her foot on his back for leverage and slowly pulls her sword free. As the body hits the ground the snow underneath turns crimson as blood flows out of the gaping hole in the torso of the dragonborn.

She lets the blade remain coated with blood for the moment and rejoins the rest with a puzzled look on her face. "This makes no sense. Who would want me captured?" She shakes her head. "We don't have to speculate for long, whoever did it severely underestimated our capabilities. We'll make the weaklings they sent talk."

"A trial, really?" She shoots Keira a dismissive look. "What a waste of time. I agree that we should deal with these parasites ourselves, right here and now. Just like I wanted to deal with Shyael when she was at our mercy, but to me it just sounds like you don't have the stomach to do what our Queen demands of you. Perhaps you should consider returning home to coddle your children and leave this up to us who are actually capable to do what is necessary."

"If you feel the need to hide behind tradition to keep your conscience clean, go ahead and pass the judgement of Bahamut on that one." Zarafae nods to the dragonborn. "But this one?" She thrusts her blade into the ground next to the head of the gnome that shot her. "He belongs to Bane, and me."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Gavin stirs awake with the sound of Zarafae's blade thrusting into the slush and muck right next to him.

"Ahh! I'll talk! I'll talk! Just..."

He faces Nina and Keira with a pleading look in his eyes.

"I'll tell you everything I know. Just keep her away from me. Please"

Surima, on the other hand, remains bound and gagged. Her eyes are focused on Gavin in his somewhat helpless state.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

Keira flashes a sickly sweet smile at Zarafae, before her expression turns flat and grim.

: "No, these prisoners belong to this realm, its queen, and all its gods, not just you and one god. And execution is not a club you swing around like the weapon of some crude, mindless monster. It is a tool that should be used with the same care as any other weapon. Moreover, there are often much more efficient and effective ways to administer justice, which are easy to see for people who are actually practiced in wisdom. You've done the duty required of you as a club, Zarafae, now it's time to turn the actual business of governance over to the people the gods have chosen to do so. We'll decide what's 'necessary'."

She closes her eyes for a moment and takes a deep breath.

: "I am well aware that I'm ultimately responsible for Shyael's fate. That is precisely why I won't repeat the same mistake again. These people will either receive a just sentence commensurate to their crimes, or they will die here."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

"You think that you were responsible for Shyael's fate?" Zarafae shakes her head. "You sure do seem to think highly of yourself, Countess Runaway. Chosen by the gods? Pah! As if nobility hasn't been stripped of their titles before, or screamed out in terror as they were put to the torch. There was only one person ultimately responsible for Shyael's fate, and that was the woman herself. She abandoned her child to go out into the woods to kill and steal, she deserves everything that happened to her."

"Now this man." Zarafae plants her foot on top of Gavin. "He too is responsible for his own actions and I am the one he wronged, and you wish to deny me the opportunity to seek justice? Need I remind you that I was the one that left him alive in the first place? Just because the club of bureaucracy you wield has killed far many more than my sword ever will doesn't make it the only right tool for the job. At least my weapon is honest, yours doesn't even have the decency to stain your own hands with blood when you hack away with it."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

It stings how quickly Zarafae manages to tear through the justifications Keira has been concocting to excuse her actions. Doubt and worry, especially for her own children, pierces her heart like a blade at the drow's words. Keira turns her head away. When she speaks again, her voice is carefully measured so as to convey as little emotion as possible.

: "No. No one deserves torment like that, not even cold-hearted killers like you. As for that man's fate, remember that without me around to heal you, we might not even be having this conversation. I think I have some say in the matter because of that."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Deacon Siegmund Razinov

"ENOUGH!"

With the fury of a man pushed long past his temper, The Deacon stomps forward towards the two prisoners, with any of the gentle parts of him that were coming through in the song and dance of a few seconds ago, or the time at the castle completely missing. He gives both bickering parties a look of malice.

~♫~

"Countess Fovoham, you are not one to decide which god is fit to serve as the judge, jury and executioner of anyone's trial. You were placed here upon this earth to solve trifles within the realm of mortal lives and the letter of their laws. You are NOT a higher power, nor will you ever be. 'Do not claim honor in the presence of the king, And do not stand in the place of great men; For it is better that it be said to you, "Come up here," Than for you to be placed lower in the presence of the prince, Whom your eyes have seen.' Your title is an earthly gift given to you from on high, and you'd best not abuse it, lest it be ripped from you like a mere blouse."

And then he looks over at the Bane-worshipping instigator.

"And you. 'How long will you people turn my glory into shame? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods. Know that the Platinum Dragon has set apart his faithful servant for himself; Bahamut hears when I call to him. The arrogant cannot stand in His presence. He hates all who do wrong, he destroys those who tell lies. The bloodthirsty and deceitful he doth detest. In his arrogance the wicked man hunts down the weak, who are caught in the schemes he devises. He boasts about the cravings of his heart; he blesses the greedy and reviles The Platinum Dragon. In his pride the wicked man does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God. He sneers at all his enemies. He says to himself, 'Nothing will ever shake me.' He swears, 'No one will ever do me harm.' But there they are, overwhelmed with dread, for Bahamut is present in the company of the righteous, and those who run after other gods will suffer more and more. I will not pour out libations of blood to such gods or take up their names on my lips. Bahamut will bring into judgment both the righteous and the wicked, for there will be a time for every activity, a time to judge every deed.' Yours will come in due time, but for now, He has seen that I ally myself with thee, so get that stick out of your butt and learn to tolerate others' presence. That goes for all of you. We are allies, are we not? Now, as for these two..."

He raises his hands to the sky and begins calling out to the heavens.

"Answer me when I call to you, my righteous God. If these that stand before you are evil in heart and soul, declare them guilty, O Platinum Dragon! Let their intrigues be their downfall. Banish them for their many sins, for they have rebelled against you. But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. May the innocent be blessed and shown the true path. If, however, this is not a trifle within which you deem your presence worthy, show to us whom will be your substitute; show to us what action we shall take, for it is Your word that is law, and from Your word that the laws of the earth are crafted."

He finally breathes in deep. "Amen."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Crying out to the heavens, Siegmund's plea for a response from his god initially goes unheeded. There is a silence and tension that begins to consume the scene. LaBamba begins to look confused between her former owner and the group that had just taken her in. Mayor Hugo seems to stand around, as if expecting some sort of sign to appear from the heavens when the deacon is finished.

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM*

Another roar of thunder echoes from far to the west, this one with the image of a great bolt of thunder to go along with it. Mayor Hugo is somewhat panicked by the ominous sign the group has been presented. Gavin, however, looks somewhat relieved.

"He cannot be serious!"

"Does... does this mean we can go? I'm not dead... so I'm free to go, right?"

"Would your god have us bring these prisoners westward? What place in Ivalice is directly west of here that Bahamut has dominion over, anyways...?"

"I think it means I'm free to go!"

"No! I am the authority in Lefondes and I will *not* stray away from my town one more day! Keira, you may hold your trial here with my permission. Siegmund and Nina, you will help her pass an acceptable judgement. Whatever happens, I am not leaving Limberry for some... scum who happened to attack us in the night!"

Nina-

Within the belongings of your potential killers there are several goodies. Precisely...

600 GP (100 GP in each bag)
3 Holy symbols of Bahamut stained in blood, as well 3 sets of clothes a priest might wear (that look like they have seen the end of a sword more than once).
One of those three holy symbols is a Wrathful Symbol of Divine Force +1
Bharakas seemed to be wearing Scale Armor of Eyes +1
7 days of rations, as well as one day's worth of fresh meats and fruits.
A series of love letters between Heskan and Surima. They're all written in Draconic, with some very poor dwarven thrown in at places.
In Gavin's bag, there is also a bunch of loose twigs, sticks, and other bits of various kindling.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 20, 2016

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

Aseir jumps at the sudden burst of lighting. Divine providence perhaps? It certainly seems to be. Such a cryptic response strikes Aseir as odd... especially since it's in the same spot the rumbling happened during the battle. "Even if we don't hold the trial there, we should at least investigate that explosion," Aseir says. He continues, "Regardless, meting out justice will need to wait until after we learn the attackers' motives." He pauses for a second before walking up to Gavin. He helps him up and leads him away from both the group and the other prisoner before sitting him back down. Aseir then kneels down and calmly tells him in draconic, "If you talk, I promise I'll put a good word in for you." He glances over at Zarafae before continuing, "I'd hate to see more needless bloodshed. Now, it's obvious that we weren't a random target, so why don't we start with who you were working for and why they want us dead?"

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 20, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Gavin, somewhat visibly distressed, replies to the priest of Bahamut in fluid Draconic.

"Boss? We didn't have no boss. We're just a bunch of starving brigands. Bharakas noticed a bunch of people goin' up to the fort, so we figured we would scope out who was leaving and rob whoever was the wealthiest. Take their goodies, we're able to survive the winter."

"I got a kid, you know. Name's Russell. He caught the sickness real young, he can't walk and... a good chemist ain't cheap. Please, are you going to deny a poor boy his father?"

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

Aseir replies, "I'm not looking to deny anyone of anything. I promised I'd put in a good word for you and Bahamut as my witness, I intend to do so, but only if you're actually telling the truth. Now if we were just a random mark, why were you trying to take my Drow friend over there alive, but not the rest of us? One of your friends mentioned a 'they' wanting her alive, so it's fairly obvious you were working for someone. I cannot promise anything if you continue trying to deceive me."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

When called out on his lies, Gavin shifts from visibly worried to somewhat calm.

"...I don't know who, okay? Bharakas did most of the talking for us, and even he said that the person who hired us preferred to never be seen. Said we were supposed to kill everyone in the camp, especially that guy in the make-up." Gavin gestures towards Hugo. "Leave the drow alive because... well, they didn't say."

"Bharakas ain't the kind of guy to ask questions, and our employer didn't seem too willing to give out answers. Can we go now? My boy James has got to be missing me something fierce, and I'm sure Surima has got business of her own to take care of."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

Sir Mord has not bothered to get dressed, merely flicking blood off his swords and standing with them still in hand. An ugly red bump rises from his forehead and his ribs have a large blue bruise.

"What are you jabbering on about?" he demands of the Draconic speaking men.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

Insight 16, or Passive Insight 19

Feeling that leaving Aseir alone with the dangerous little idiot might be a bad move, Nina stalks over to the pair and makes a point of staring flatly at Gavin as he rambles on. "Russel James must be worried sick about you. I know I would be, were my father such a terrible liar. You are obviously the leader, not a man who can barely talk without spitting up flame." Nina reaches out with one hand and calmly seizes Gavin's sack of kindling, plucking it away without any cares for how he reacts.

"Countess, you wish for trial. I present evidence that they are condemned beyond all doubt." Nina offers the gatherings of the three slain priests of Bahamut. The gowns impaled with great prejudice. The dented holy symbols. "Men of the cloth live frugally and offer no bounty to anyone in a civilized land." Nina walks among the group, stopping by Zarafae. She gestures towards Gavin and gives the Drow a nod. "Shyael murdered four and made an attempt to murder another seven. That was evidence enough that she deserved whatever Margrave had in store for her. ... Gavin, is it? Or maybe Gavin Richard, if you're so fond of double names. How ostentatious. Now, Gavin. Your band has murdered at least three and attempted to murder six and kidnap another. You are also doubtlessly guilty of conspiracy."

"I am Inquisitor Nina the Burned."

"We are agents of Queen Heiral."

"I told you as such the second we met. You refused my offer of surrender."

"Conspiracy against the Queen is Treason. Murder against the Church is Heresy."

Nina hasn't faced him this entire time, instead favoring Keira with a sympathetic look, the flat stare gone a bit soft. "... Although I appreciate the Deacon's fervor, I still respect your authority, Countess. But now you know of the fire burning in the hearts of three of us. I pray this will speed your trial. I recommend immediate execution." There may be a feeling that a lot of egos are at play in the camp and a constant kabuki theater follows. With Nina... it is simply stating facts and intentions.

Intimidate 25

Gavin can see her hands upon her sword's hilt.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

He turns to Mord, saying, "We are discussing the matter at hand, Mord. I will fill you all in once I am done speaking with our other guest."

Turning back to Gavin, he replies, "[spoilers]As I said, I cannot promise that you will go free, but if you tell the truth, I will advocate for you," Aseir says, leading him back over near Surima, sitting him back down and picking the dragonborn up before Gavin has time to say anything to her, leading her over to the same area he took Gavin.

Once he set her down, he kneels beside her and ungags her and kneels beside her, back enough to avoid her breath before telling her, "I'll make the same offer to you as I did for your friend over there" he says, nodding over to Gavin. "If you're honest with me, I'll put in a good word for you and hopefully save your head. I don't want to see anymore blood today if I can avoid it. Let's start with who you were working for and why we were attacked.

edit: Edited out! Will fix after work!

Look Around You fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 20, 2016

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

Keira takes a moment to breathe deeply and collect herself. She has sentenced criminals to death and imprisonment before, in her courtly duties. Why is she letting some foreign assassin and an… enthusiastic priest rattle her like this? The Countess places her hands on her hips and narrows her eyes at the accused.

: “Thank you, Mayor Hugo. I don't think this trial will delay us much longer. The Inquisitor has done a fine job enumerating the charges against the two of you, and it seems the gods themselves have had a say in the matter. Do you have anything to say in your defense before the judgment is rendered? In Common, if you please.”

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

An intense look of fear washes over Gavin's face. It would seem that for a brief moment he was more afraid of Nina than Zarafae, but only for a moment.

"No! Okay, my kid... doesn't exist. I overheard you guys talking and thought it might be an easy out. But I'm not the leader! I can tell you we got our orders 'round midnight just outside of Fort Besselat, but we... we didn't see who wanted the job done!"

Gavin looks wildly around the forests for a moment, searching for some escape method.

"It was all Surima's fault, anyways! She was the one who decided that we should kill holy men. Not me! I was just caught up in a group of thugs against my better wishes! I swear on my life, my mother's life, and any future children I may have that I had no idea about those symbols!"

The look in Surima's eyes changes from placidity to anger.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

"Bahamut is a weather god now?" Zarafae rolls her eyes. "You can calm down Hugo, we will not be led on a wild goosechase by some stray thunder. In fact, I'm quite sure it was all that hot air escaping Siggy's mouth that caused it."

She stalks over to Gavin. "I'm done watching you making a fool out of yourself, Aseir. Get out of the way. I want my prey back." She returns Nina's nod with a soft smile then forcefully grabs the gnome by the hair and pulls his head back, forcing him to look her right in the eyes. "So that is your final story then, nothing more to say before we lop your head off." She stares at him intently for a long, long while before she breaks the silence again. "No. I'm not satisfied. Amend your story with the truth, and all of it. Tell me every little detail you know about who hired you." She smiles a sickly sweet smile and softly caresses his cheek with the back of her non-gauntleted hand. "Or I will pluck out your eyeballs out one by one and suffocate you with them."

Intimidate: 1d20+13 30

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Gavin grows more and more scared with every step Zarafae takes towards him.

"No! I swear, I'm telling the truth! I don't know anything about them!"

A warm mist starts to emanate from Gavin's body, he's starting to cry.

"Kill the mayor, keep the drow alive. Those were our orders! That's all we know!"

Gavin closes his eyes as if anticipating a blade to strike him at his throat at any moment.

"...Get them, LaBamba! Explode for your master!"

After a small bit of time passes, Gavin opens one eye to witness LaBamba nuzzling against Mord affectionately.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

Zarafae moves her thumbnail up to Gavin's eye, gives him one last look, then lets go of him, stands up and turns her back on him.

"What a pitiful, useless man." She looks over to Keira. "I'm all done, you can have what remains of him."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

Nonplussed, Nina passed the kindling to Mord and pauses for a moment. "Ah, Zarafae. I waive my right to serve as executioner. It seems I cannot stomach what needs to be done." She looks over to the Drow with her eyes closed, clearly smiling. "If you do not mind."

Stepping over to Surima, Nina kneels to assist Aseir in his continuing interrogation. "I would remind you that the large one could not stop me with archers and magi at his back." With that said she gently ungags the Dragonborn.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 20, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Once ungagged, Surima quickly opens up her mouth to take advantage of her newfound freedom. For a moment you can see a small mote of acid spew forth, but it is quickly retracted when the Dragonborn clamps her mouth shut.

Upon Nina and Aseir's questioning, she speaks somewhat placidly and calmly in very short sentences.

"Gavin and Bharakas leader. Get job. Say it pay big. No ask-"

Frustrated, she continues the rest of her confession in Draconic.

"I didn't ask who was hiring us. They both came up to us- me and Heskan- this morning and said 'We got a big job for you guys. 100 Gold now and 100 gold on completion.' The money was too good not to take."

She looks over to Heskan's dead body, then keeps her eyes focused on Gavin.

"Gavin's the one who killed your priests. All three of them- says he likes to make the followers of Bahamut suffer. Likes to stain their holy symbols in their own blood. Says it's his own form of 'Retribution.' I didn't question, because he only treated me and Heskan fair."

"Now I know he's nothing but a sniveling coward. I recommend you sentence us both to death."

A look of total fear washes over Gavin's face.

"No! She's lying! You wouldn't believe one of those filthy Dragonborn, would you?"

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 20, 2016

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

"drat Draconic. I should have paid attention to my teacher..." Mord mumbles, scratching LaBamba behind where he imagines her ear to be(and keeping the kindling safely away from the bomb). "You would never speak in a foreign language, would you? No you wouldn't! No you wouldn't!"

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

Asier stands up and walks over to the group and relays the dragonborn's side of the story for those who do not understand draconic. After he concludes relaying her confession, he tells the group, "I believe her side of the story, unlike the coward over there," he says, glaring at Gavin. "She requested the death sentence for herself as well, Lady Fovoham. I would venture a guess that part of that has to do with the loss of her lover," he continues, nodding over towards Heskan's corpse. "You can do with that information what you wish for your judgement, my lady, though I personally do not see the need to spill more of her blood if there is a suitable alternate sentence available. Gavin on the other hand... he deserves no mercy."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Deacon Siegmund Razinov

The Deacon takes a moment to regain his composure. Deep breaths, a quick swish of the hair, and a short silent prayer to himself. And then he opens his eyes again and his eyes notice the dead priest gear.

"...I see. I see it very clearly. Bahamut's message is as follows: the fate they deserve belongs westward. If we've been contemplating death, and yet Bahamut says they belong in another location, then this means they are in for a fate worse than death should we escort them. But..." A sigh escapes his lips "if that sounds like too much hassle, I suppose you may use what evidence you have to pass judgement and end them here."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

Keira takes a long, hard look at Siegmund, images of the violent glee he displayed in this battle playing through her mind, his passionate speeches echoing in her ears.

: “I know you are more learned than I am, Deacon, but I simply cannot believe Bahamut would condemn anyone to a fate worse than death... Gavin, Sumira. I, Countess Keira Fovoham of the Emerald Fields, hereby find you guilty of the charges leveled against you. The sentence is death. If you wish last rites, either of our priests would be willing to provide them, I’m sure. I pray your spirits find the peace they were not able to find in life.”

She regards both of the prisoners sternly, but with slight sadness, and then nods toward Nina.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

"We are needed in the East. Thank you for your ruling, Countess." Leaving Gavin to Zara, Nina waits for any last rites that Surima may request. Once the time has come Nina shows her one final respect by granting her a quick, clean decapitation. One draw, one slash, and it is over.

"I will endure until we set up camp again. Let us be off."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

"Oh, I don't mind at all, Nina." Zarafae replies and returns her smile as she goes to fetch her sword. "But I do not wish to lay claim to them both. I'll finish what I started, you deal with the dragonborn."

---

"Not even the one of us most hampered by her morals saw it fit to let you live." Zarafae shakes her head and takes position next to Gavin who is kneeling on the ground. She grips the hilt of her sword tightly, the blade itself turned away from the gnome, its tip resting gently on the ground. "I'd drag this out, but honestly..." She swings the blade in a large arc, terminating somewhere just past Gavin, passing through his neck on its way to its destination. "...You've wasted more than enough of our time."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Surima seems accepting of her sentence. She doesn't request any last rites or any special favors, she simply looks Nina in the eye and mutters two words of Draconic.

"Do it."

Gavin, on the other hand, is much less accepting of his sentence.

"No! You can't do this! ...I'll haunt you! I'll make sure y-"

His head is quickly chopped off, and the gnome's body is disposed of. At this point, Mayor Hugo and Zeke can be seen gathering the bodies of the dead (sans Gavin). When pressed as to why, the Mayor responds.

"They may have been hired killers, but they were still people. We'll bring them to Lefondes for a proper burial."

Zeke just lets out a soft groan.

-----------------------------------

The Road to LeFondes- Day 2
Morning
Time Elapsed: 7 days
Date: November 3rd, 2397

As you guys pack up your gear and get ready to go, the third guard- the one who wasn't on duty- emerges from one of the tents and lets out a great big yawn.

"Hoo boy! I slept like a log last night."

After a few moments of waking up, he surveys the scene around him- noticing the splatters of blood and the bomb that seems to have been resting in the fire pit.

"...What'd I miss?"

-------------------------------------

There are no more sounds of thunder the rest of the night- or through your day's journey. The stage coach is awfully quiet, with Mayor Hugo staring off into the more temperate scenery as the day goes by. After several hours, he does manage to pipe up with some thoughts on the current situation.

"Odd, how the Dragonborn was willing to just... die for her loved one like that."

The thought that the attack was an attempt on his life doesn't seem to have crossed his mind.

"...What would you have done, were you in her shoes?"

Everyone is free to respond while I write up a post about LeFondes (or include a response after you guys arrive.)

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

Aseir sits and mulls the question over. He's about to let out his answer when he remembers that he ought not reveal his affair with a fellow agent of the queen who is also another fellow of the cloth to those who do not already know it. He abruptly shuts his mouth and purses his lips, listening for the others' answers.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Everyone- Lefondes
Mid Day
Time Elapsed: 8 Days
Date: November 4th, 2397

music

After some minutes of conversation, Hugo goes quiet for the rest of the journey. You all pack up for the night, thankfully undisturbed, and then spend the morning traveling again to the city of Lefondes.

The city of Lefondes is a cultural anomaly within the borders of Ivalice (and even inside Limberry). It's a city that has its roots in Limberrian society and history, and the back and forth between Ivalice and Ordallian has resulted in many buildings that are a mix between Ivalice and Ordallian architecture, with the Ordallian onion dome being somewhat prominent on many of the city's buildings. There are several temples to different gods throughout the city- many of them to Bahamut or Ioun, but there are also minor temples to all of the less popular gods. The Raven Queen, Orcus, Pelor, Avandra, Corellon, and even Bane. The city is filled with guards on every street, with heavy fortifications on the docks.

There is a mix of Ordallians and Limberrians on all the streets, with various vendors and blacksmiths to be found on the somewhat hot and humid day. An Ordallian can be heard shouting from a stall filled with various mechanical curiosities.

"Inventions from Goug! Come one, come all! Only 10g for a fine pistol to defend yourself and those you love! Mechanical Spiders! Puzzle boxes! You name it, I have it!"

There is another merchant just on the other side of the street, touting his goods with pride.

"Fresh fish! Octopus! Finger Shrimp! Ocean Cloud! Saber Sardine! The best you'll ever taste in Ivalice!"

Surveying around the town, you are able to find other various vendors and curiosities to explore at your own leisure. Namely...

-A shop filled with shelf upon shelf of historical texts and books of lore. It is owned and maintained by a blonde man with a well-kept goatee.
-Several taverns with different religious affiliations and themes, as well as one agnostic one.
-Several blacksmiths and magic shops, with one blacksmith specializing in short swords, daggers, and shurikens, and a magic shop specializing in rods and staves.
-A public arena, where teams of contenders duel with each other. There is also a separate arena for one on one fights.
-A theater near the center of the town displaying a play based on the Black Queen. The acting troupe is a mix of Dwarves, Eladrin, and Drow.
-A Wilden clothier, focused on making orders for the numerous customers in his shop.
-Several different guilds; for painters, sculptors, and other artists.
-A beast tamer, interested in the purchasing and selling of wild beasts of the land.

After crossing several canals, the bunch of you are brought to a great circular island bustling with people and guards. In the center there are three great statues that stand in complement to one another; Bahamut, Ioun, and Corellon. Within this island is a great, three story manor with a retinue of guards and a somewhat ostentatious level of decoration.

"I believe this is where I, Zeke, and Frederick will take our leaves. We'll be sure to give the bodies a proper funeral tomorrow. Feel free to visit us any time- just tell the guards at the door that you know me!"

Mayor Hugo has left the party

"It was a pleasure meeting all of you, and traveling with you to my city- as dreary as attacks in the night can be. And Keira..."

The mayor exits his coach alongside his guard and the coach driver.

"Thank you for being such a pleasant traveling companion. The same goes for you, Siegmund. I hope to see you all again soon."

Will update the map and guest list soon Feel free to wander around town and do as you like before heading to Limberry Castle. I listed a bunch of options of places to go, but you're more than welcome to create a scene for your character(s) to go to. I can fill in the blanks and get something interesting to happen there.

Be sure to include a response to Hugo's question if you want to!

As soon as everyone says that they're ready to go to Limberry Castle we'll all head out.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 21, 2016

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

:siren: (I divy up the 600 gold I found so we each get 100 golds) :siren:

"I would have lived." She spoke curtly, as if disappointed in Surima. Nina never found much reason to speak with Hugo as he seemed the type of noble who could only be related to through descriptions of one's latest indulgences. She doubted he would ever be impressed by the thought of reading about old wars while working through a tin of tea leaves. Surely the fancy Mayor's bits of free time were much more complicated. What a bother. But here was a bit of unexpected melancholy.

"I was once forced to answer for my sins. My time in prison was the worst in my life. Yet at the end of it... I escaped death and found redemption. Now every day I may serve my Queen with pride." She makes a point to catch Keira's eye during this gratuitously overwrought bit of exposition. "It is a shame that death is pursued so often. It tends to be very final. But if everyone had the vision to see through darkness when it surrounds them... we would soon find our priests without anything to do." She caps that thrilling anecdote off with a dry chuckle.

---

Nina bids a polite farewell to Hugo and Zeke before addressing the others. "Shall we agree to a time to meet at the castle? I have some business in the city." Once a meet up is scheduled, Nina departs to have her horse stabled. As she goes she passes a folded note to Zarafae. In completely plain language it invites her to the arena in two hours. The Inquisitor doesn't wait for any reaction and departs. She has a date with the tomes and history shop, once she's finished with the horse.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Nina the Burned- Lefondes

The mayor nods in agreement to the burned inquisitor's response.

"I must agree with you, I find death to be so final. One would think that she would try to find a way to live on for her loved one, or to try to honor his memory. Instead she just... gave up. Gavin, as detestable as he is, at least tried everything he could to stay alive."

----------------------------

music

Inside the book shop are dozens upon dozens of bookshelves, each one of them filled with various scriptures and texts on a wide variety of subjects. On one shelf there will be several different books regarding the care and properties of monsters, such as Taking care of your Bomb and How to Train Your Cyclops. On another there will be various religious texts such as The Evolution of the Tenets of Bahamut and Ioun- Knowledge on the God of Knowledge. There are also various historical texts regarding wars and invasions, as well as books on rather mundane topics like The Genealogy of the Holy War and Heritage of the Rulers of Linberry.

The people within the shop are all noble and well-to-do, each with a book in hand, reading various books before placing them back and placing an order from the store's owner. After a few moments of perusal, he approaches you in a calm and gentle manner.

"Welcome to Arazlam's Emporium. You are welcome to read and peruse at your own wish. If you would like a text copy of a book in the store, or have any questions about the store's contents, feel free to take your requests up with me and I'll assist you to the best of my ability."

• Locked thread