Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Zarafae Quavein

Zarafae has a look of bemusement on her as she and Nina make their way through the city. "Just like Mord you say? And they fight with great passion?" Her eyes drift off into the distance. "Lefondes truly is a decadent city..." Then they snap right back on Nina. "So it's decided then. Next time we're in town we're going to catch one of those fights." She throws a glance back at the arena and suppresses a giggle before moving on.

---

"I can tell that you must've spent all day trying to make this, Siggy." What? It was sort of a compliment. It did taste really good, but why on earth would she admit that to that rear end in a top hat.

After the main course is done, Zarafae produces a packet from underneath the table and presents it with a self-satisfied smile on her lips. "For dessert, Ordallian sweets from the finest pâtisserie in the city." She cuts the string with her fingernail and flips the lid, revealing the perfect strawberry tarts inside. She places two of the seven tarts in front of her and passes the box around.

"LaBamba, come here girl." She places one of the tarts in the palm of her hand and holds it out for the bomb to eat. "This one is for you. You're not allergic to strawberries, are you?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Deacon Siegmund Razinov

Siegmund smiles when his meal is met with positive responses. All that hard work put into making a meal, to the point where even the Drow is giving a neutral response to it.

"You're quite right. It indeed took quite some time to ensure it was done right. After all, it'd be an insult for me to offer to make lunch for all of you and then fail to deliver something worth the wait, especially when there are several other things I could have done with my time. Still, I also thank you for your addition. Even if not home-made, the item adds to the experience and I appreciate your effort. Perhaps this is the right foot we all needed to start off with."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Sir Mord

The Briny Post

"Gnomes, huh?" Sir Mord grunts. "Maybe I should have kept the last one I met. Coulda been useful." He shrugs. This book intrigues him however, even though he's not exactly a book person. Also, hundreds of gold and an excuse to stay in the city...

The Culinarian's Guild

Mord isn't much of a thank-you man, but they say that silence is the best compliment a chef can receive. Sir Mord is definitely silent as he wolfs down the food, then looks around for more, then spends a couple of minutes scraping off every last speck of food on his plate. He licks his lips when the tart box is passed to him.

Mord makes a noncommital grunt at Deacon's comment. "So anyway," he then begins, mouth full of delicious strawberry tart. The knight actually has very good table manners, he just chooses to disregard them presently. "Me and... Keira, we went to this inn down at the docks, get a drink, maybe some info. Turns out there's a great gently caress-off galleon bearing down on the city, three days out. Pirates calling themselves The Dread Krewe. Everyone's in a panic. So there's this guy looking for a book to turn things around, says it's in a building between the temples of Bahamut and Bane. No door. Guy's offering 'hundreds of gold' for the book."

"I figured we should check it out. It would be bad poo poo if these pirates plunder the city, so we should do something about it."

"Also, gold."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

She looks suspiciously at the tart for a brief instant, but seeing Zarafae offer them even to LaBamba puts her mind at relative ease. If the bomb doesn't like the pastry though, Keira will scrounge up Gavin's bag of kindling to see if she'll eat that. Meanwhile, Keira munches on the dessert with a pleasant smile on her face.

: “Thank you, Zarafae. Very... thoughtful of you. And yes, I think it’s very much worth, at the least, going to talk to this man who’s offering so much money for a book. Even if it's all a ruse, someone with that much wealth to throw around must have some useful information or connections. I hope it is true though… a powerful book, kept hidden in a secret room between two churches in such opposition to each other? Sounds like the start of an epic. Oh yes, and stopping the pirates would also be good...”

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nina the Burned

"... Between two holy buildings? Perhaps we should speak with them to see if they are aware of the tome, or perhaps guarding it. This sounds very suspicious. Too good to be true... and besides, we are not petty thieves for hire." Nina has an edge to her stare, threatening to graduate to a glare. "In three days time we could return here to face the pirates ourselves with support from Linberry castle. Do not forget our first duty."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

"And which foot is that, Siggy? The one in your mouth or the one I like to imagine shoving up your rear?" Zarafae huffs and mutters "not home-made" under her breath in a mocking tone. "I'm almost surprised you need to eat since you seem to be so full of yourself all the time." She rolls her eyes and shoves a spoonful of dessert into her mouth.

Zarafae listens with interest at the tales of the book hidden between the two temples, then to Nina's words, eliciting a shrug. "Or we'll be so bogged down with courtly intrigue and bureaucracy that Lefondes will be razed to the ground before we return. Whatever our first duty is we cannot let the traitor Duke and his henchmen gain a foothold in Limberry and I don't have any confidence whatsoever in Hugo's capability to resist an actual attack. We have the evening to spare, we'll spend it investigating this book and if nothing comes of it we'll head to Limberry Castle on the morrow."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

(Nina, Aseir and Siegmund have Bahamut credentials, Zara for Bane. We could probably split 2/1/3 and have Nina, Mord and Keira visit the buyer. Or Keira could try to Bluff that she's a Baner and go for the even 2/2/2 split. :ssh:)

Nina's eyes tense and her nose wrinkles a bit at the mention of endless court intrigues. "Well said. If our three priests would visit their respective temples, the rest of us could size up this buyer." She sighs as she imagines the haughty Mayor Hugo trying to order the galleon to not fire upon his town and the chance it may even stick for a minute. "Waiting three days to confront a task of this size will considerably delay our Queen's will... are there not any stationed forces that would reinforce the city?" Nina's tart still remains untouched but she does put in an order for a cup of tea from the culinary staff.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

Keira glances between Siegmund and Zarafae. She lets out an involuntarily half-laugh in response to the increase in tension, then quickly starts speaking to cover it up.

: “Considering I told the Queen we could wrap up the succession in a month, delaying three days, possibly longer, could be… hazardous. Taking an hour or two to simply gather more information about this job won’t hurt though. I like your suggestion, Nina, except I believe some backup for Zarafae would be very helpful. One may pick up something the other misses. Thanks to some recent additions to my disguise kit, I can easily look the part of a follower of Bane.”

Keira looks at Zarafae, smiling as she takes another bite of pastry, and leaves unspoken the ulterior motive of keeping an eye on her. Maybe it will even be fun? As long as they aren’t forced to sacrifice any babies.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

"If you are suggesting I allow you to lie to my order you better think again." Zarafae directs a stern gaze at Keira. "You can come with me if you wish, but you are not putting on a disguise."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

: "It's not lying. It's telling a different sort of truth. But I take your point. If this is a 'come as you are' sort of church, then I shall come as I am."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Everyone- The Culinarian's Guild.

LaBamba eagerly accepts Keira's offering of food, and manages to devour the offered pastry in one bite. The strawberry's taste changes her flame to a soft strawberry glow for the duration of the rest of dinner while she offers Keira a soft coo in thanks.

*roar*

LaBamba's attack will be at +9 for the next battle,provided you pick up the book before then. (+8 otherwise)

The six of you notice the commotion and frenzy of the restaurant's lunchtime activities die down as noon turns into evening. The building, which was once almost completely full of a wide variety of peoples and professions, is now occupied by just the occasional customer and the apprentices working in the guild's kitchen. Your conversation in hushed tones and whispers is eventually interrupted by Waerll, guildmaster and familiar face only to one, approaching the table with a specific dish of its own creation.

Keira- The dish Waerll brought is one that reminds you of Evrin. What is it, and why does it remind you of him?

The Mindflayer glares at nearly every one of you as it approaches. A slight hissing can be heard from underneath its facial tentacles, until eventually it speaks.

"Enjoy the food... compliments of the guild."

Waerll gives Siegmund a sour look and carefully approaches and places the dish onto the table for you to enjoy. It gives everyone a look of caution in doing so, and once delivered, the Guildmaster heads upstairs to member quarters for the evening. Whether you decide to partake in the additional food or not, the seven of you are able to proceed with your plans for the evening.

Nina, Mord, Keira- Investigation of the Employer

I have to ask how the three of you plan on investigating the person who employed you. The bartender did not give out a name- but that doesn't mean you can't do a little investigation on your own. Let me know how you want to approach this and we can take it from there.

Zarafae Quavein- The Temple of Bane
music

Sitting adjacent to one of the outer canals of Lefondes is the Temple of Bane. While Lefondes is known to boast temples of very nearly every god known to man- the Temple of Bane is one kept in ill-condition. The building itself is dilapidated and destroyed in places, with boarded up windows and a main door that boasts little security- nothing more than the black hand of Bane that protects the temple's insides from intruders.

On the other side of the Canal you can spot the Cathedral of Bahamut, boasting its size to the entire city with its onion-domed towers and painted glass windows. In the middle of the canal, between the churches of the two gods, is a large, circular tower with no visible entrances that you can notice from this angle.

The insides of the temple of Bane are as ramshackle and destroyed as the outside. It is very sparsely populated, with only the temple's priest and a few hobgoblins inside paying tribute to their god. A feeling of comfort washes over you as the priest makes his approach, clearly recognizing your status from your attire.

Dakarai Ivanov, Romandan priest of Bane.

Upon his arrival, the priest of Bane kneels before you until he is given the order to stand.

"You bless me with your presence, loyal servant of the god of law. What does our god command of me on this eve?"

Siegmund & Aseir- The Cathedral of Bahamut
music

Near one of the inner canals of the city and directly across from the Temple of Bane lies the cathedral of Bahamut. It stands as a magnificent structure that boasts its presence over the city with its Ordallian architecture and several stained glass windows depicting the Platinum Dragon fighting various evil deities and entities. The structure itself boasts earthy colors and an incredibly large metallic door that seems to be more for show than for actual use- with people filtering in and out through the sides of the building. In-between the two buildings, in the center of the canal, is a large tower that sticks out of the water like a sore thumb. Just behind the large, tower-like structure is the temple of Bane that can barely be seen from your position. Its architecture is neither Ivalician nor Ordallian, and seems to be something of an anomaly within the confines of the city.

Within the great cathedral's halls is a moderate congregation being led by one of the church's many bishops. The sermon the bishop is giving seems to be primarily on the matters of faith- how Bahamut is always watching in your time of need, and how the Great Dragon reveres those who act without expecting reward in return. The sermon occasionally breaks for the church's choir to sing a message which can be heard across the city.

Aseir- Who is leading this congregation? Be sure to include a picture, and what details of their service both you and Siegmund are familiar with?

The two of you will be able to roam about the cathedral as you will as soon as these details are given.

Hopefully i'll be able to take a break from choppin up trees to post again soon!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

Something about being glared at during a time of repast inspires Nina to return the sentiment, her own intense glare meeting his look eye to eye. If there eas a misunderstanding or she was supposed to be cowed then today wasn't the day for it. She speaks very calmly but the line cuts through all small talk and noise.

"Is there a problem?"

Intimidate 29 with La Bamba's +2.

Already quite full on food miles beyond the standard camp fare, Nina will have none of the complimentary dish. She will separate from the others and finish her pastry with tea in private, mask etiquette harder to observe with such an indulgence.

---

Nina's glare for Mord and optionally Keira is almost as strong as her last, muted only by being a flat one. She sighs and shakes her head a little. "Are we to seize this book and hope for the best, that perhaps the buyer will sniff us out by instinct alone?" If she was unenthusiastic about this job before she was dreadfully disappointed now. "It sounds like your bar man is your only lead. I suppose I have an idea of my own to pursue... I met a man who knows a great deal about books today."

(My only real idea is to go talk to Arazlam. See if the books I ordered are ready, maybe use History or Religion or just chat with him to try to learn more about the book or any unusual buyers or requests he has had.)

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 29, 2016

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

Is that—? It is! A small Faerie Leaf tray, full of various bite-sized pieces of meats, vegetables, and sweets, with an arrangement of delicate silver leaves one uses to pick up the morsels and eat them together. The leaves enhance the flavor of whatever one eats with them in unique and unpredictable ways that vary based on any number of factors, from racial background to current mood. Whole schools of culinary thought are devoted to studying the mystery.

These rare leaves were always the primary target on Evrin and Keira’s forest expeditions. The trips had grown less frequent in recent years, but the couple tried to always have a spread whenever a special occasion arose. Even when they found very few, it was always a special bonding experience. Keira wonders if he will start taking Tristain and Vivienne with him on these hunts while she is away.

With a bittersweet smile and a slight welling up of tears, she thanks the mindflayer profusely. Faerie Leaves are surely easier to come by in a trade port than some rural county, and this dish isn’t particularly large, but where Keira is from this is a rare treat. She ignores the glare completely and dives into the tray with gusto. This time, the leaves lend a warm and rich aftertaste to every bite she takes. She wonders what effect they have on everyone else, but it can be somewhat rude to ask of people one doesn’t know very well.

Once she is as full as she can possibly be, Keira huffs at Nina once she returns.

: “Hey, it was lunch-time and I was hungry! I was hardly going to make us late for this meal to find out about something the rest of you may not have been interested in. But it’s fine. Let’s stop at this book-seller of yours first, as we definitely need that book for our adorable little bomb no matter what we do. Then, if we can’t glean any information from him, we’ll go back to the bar Mord and I went to. Come on, it won't take long, and it could lead to something that could benefit this town greatly. Surely the Queen would approve of us protecting her realm from pirates?”

She wets her finger to risk a quick scratch for LaBamba, then gets up to leave.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Sir Mord

"Yeah, think of this like a surprise present for the Queen. Let's read the poo poo out of some books."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Nina- The Culinarian's Guild

The Mindflayer flashes a look of great offense to Nina's implication of threat. It is sure to bring the faerie leaf tray to the table, upon which it gives Nina a mixed look of scorn and apprehension.

"Ifff you value your livess, you will eat this disssh..."

After a few second of silence, the Mindflayer continues on to clarify its previous words.

"A life wassted is the one that deniesss every opportunity presented to it."

Nina, Mord, Keira- Arazlam's Emporium

Arazlam's shop in the evening is much less populated in the evening, with the only people in the shop being the various gnomish and dwarven scribes placing books back in their designated spots, as well as Arazlam himself. He greets the three of you with a smile as he goes to retrieve your book copies.

"Welcome back, your copies are ready- if there are any problems with the text please let me know."

Both books are added to your inventory. Be sure to deduct the gold required if you haven't already. I'll change LaBamba's stats as soon as I get back to my desktop.

When the three of you ask him about a magical book in the tower, Arazlam presents a somewhat confused look.

"I'm afraid that I have heard of no such thing. Although that does sound like something that could be very valuable, I deal in texts of a more historical nature. If you would like, I could possibly identify the book's properties should you bring it to me. Otherwise I'm afraid to tell you that I do not know much about this book- or the place it resides."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

Zarafae maintains a strict and firm exterior, but inside she's beaming. These new robes and the status that came with them were a wonderful gift, despite Silver's lecturing behaviour towards her she must've made an impression. While Ivanov's temple was a dump, never before had a priest displayed such submissiveness to her before. She looks at him with cold, unyielding eyes and an almost invisible smile. "Information. You must tell me everything you know about the tower standing in the canal outside. How long has it stood there? How may one gain entrance, what awaits inside? Everything."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

The bishop leading the congregation is Bishop Adrie Beralen. She is an older Elf and is one of the few high ranking Elven members of the Church. She turned to Bahamut at an early age after her parents were killed by bandits. She prayed for justice, and Bahamut gave her the power to bring it to bear. She initially joined their militant arm before converting to the priesthood after suffering a broken arm that never quite healed properly while in combat eradicating the bandit clan that killed her parents five years after their attack. She took that as a sign that she no longer needed to actively fight, and has since mellowed out, and now has a rather soft spoken method of preaching. She tends to focus on the bigger picture and the longer term outlook, as most elves tend to do. She always talks about the lasting glory of Bahamut, and how he always sees justice through to the end, no matter how long it takes, as it had for her years later. She has been a bishop for many years now and has low key aspirations of becoming a Cardinal at some point in next few years, though she never directly tells anyone.

---

Aseir will attempt explore the Cathedral after the sermon is over, particularly looking on the side nearest the mysterious building, and looking for any trap doors around the rest o the building too. He figures he'll leave the hobnobbing to the Deacon, though he will go over to make an appearance before he starts snooping around the building.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

Although she had half a mind to lecture the Flayer on cultural differences and dining courtesy, it seemed a rash overstep. Even if the strange gestures and the ridiculously timed double meanings were casting a bit of a pall over the meal, needless conflict was foolish. She takes a serving(leaf?) from the tray with a mix of meat and sweet and consumes it, giving Waerll a respectful nod and sincere compliment as she departs. Hopefully the olive branch gesture would be enough.

---

Seeing Arazlam puts Nina back in a good mood. Her voice is almost melodic! "Thank you for your time and expertise, kind sir. We appreciate any help you can offer and we are very grateful for your timeliness. We've recently... adopted a new artillery provision in the Queen's service." She looks over the Bomb tome and entrusts it to the group's custody, passing it to Keira and Mord to look over. She tilts her head down a bit and her eyelashes flutter as she looks from Arazlam back to the Crusades tome, her own personal choice. "And I look forward to reading your recommendation."

"Arazlam, if you are not familiar with the tower, we are also seeking those who are, or anyone who has inquired about it or the tome that supposedly lies within. Have you had any strange requests or buyers recently?" She looks over her shoulder for a second, feeling an involuntary need to scan the shore even though nothing could be close to the city yet. She faces Arazlam again with a serious edge to her eyes. "It may be associated with the approach of a galleon. How secure is Lefondes?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Deacon Siegmund Razinov

"...As it stands, there is still a portion of my dish left untouched. You're welcome to it. As for yours, you can see that the Countess loved it. I'll make sure that she sends her regards to the papers and criers. And if that doesn't appeal..."

He reaches about in his robes and produces a handful of gold. About 10gp.

"I'm sure that this will more than cover the trouble you went through for my actions."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Siegmund keeps his head tilted down and his eyes closed during the sermon. Father Lloyd's teachings would have him never gaze upon a superior during sermon; a means to never be able to confront those with power over him, and a habit he'd yet to break. He's heard these verses before, and the general gist of the sermon's message. Silently, he mouths the verses in tandem with Bishop Beralen. 'For he who breaks bread with his fellow man will receive a glass of wine, but he who breaks bread for a glass of wine will soon find his empty and wanting.' The same feast story from which he gleamed his verse earlier today. The songs, as well, are familiar to him, in the sense that he's read the sheet music for them. Unfortunately, he had not an organ to play them on, nor fellow altar servers with which to start a choir, so his experience performing them amounted to quiet hums during housework.

With the sermon over and his mental focus fully restored, he attempts to approach the Bishop and her entourage.

"That service was like a breath of fresh air." He offers a hand. "Siegmund Razinov of the Zaland branch of the Temple of Bahamut. Not to trouble you, but would you be willing to part with some time and discuss a few matters of faith with me? I feel I'm in a situation wherein I must defer to a superior."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Zarafae Quavein and the Temple of Bane

Dakarai nods his head, and proceeds to give the Drow what information he has available to him.

"The tower in the canal has been there since before even I've come to Lefondes. No one has ever been inside it, although there are many that have tried to find a way in. Dark figures in the night can be seen climbing along its walls and roof, but none of them have been able to find a way inside."

Ivanov gives somewhat of a forced laugh at his own statement.

"I think if they followed the right being, then maybe they'd find a way in? I would ask Bane to smash its walls myself, but He tells me that my place is within the temple- though I have felt the tower calling to me as of late, it is my duty to guide his loyal follower to the tower's walls to retrieve the relic inside. Perhaps for the good of the god of Tyranny?"

Dakarai clatters his teeth together knowingly towards Zarafae.

"Our god has always been so generous for our loyalty."

Aseir & Siegmund - The Cathedral of Bahamut
Aseir- Please give me a perception check for your surveying of the cathedral

Adrie offers her other arm to Siegmund

"Strange, you don't look sick."

After a moment she feigns a smile and offers Siegmund a warm introduction.

"Adrie Beralan, a pleasure to put a face to the name of Siegmund Razinov. When I last visited Mullonde, your test of faith was quite the talk of the temple."

Adrie steps down to the same level as Siegmund and proceeds to embrace the deacon with a pat on the shoulder using her good arm.

"Whatever troubles you, the Great Dragon and I shall always lend an ear. Please, let us walk and talk."

Nina, Mord, & Keira- Arazlam's Emporium

Arazlam ponders for a bit, thinking of all the customers that have come through here.

"There are several strange customers that filter in and out of here every day asking about the most peculiar things. A figure clad in red asked me about the location of a crescent shaped gem. A young woman once asked me for a book on the drawbacks of using dark magic while pregnant. Although..."

Arazlam's eyebrows pop up in revelation. He starts his walk back towards the shop's central counter.

"There was an older man who came in here asking for a book on Limberrian architecture a few days ago. His face was scarred, and he didn't talk- as if he was mute or something."

Arazlam picks up a large ledger and places it on the counter and peers through the book's many names.

"'Oliphey Heiral.' That's an alias if I've ever heard one."

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Aseir Jassan

I'm heading to bed but I wanted to post Aseir's Perception: 1d20+4 18 check so things can stay moving

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

: "That is indeed suspicious. That's not a lot to go on though. We may need to head back to the tavern Mord and I went to and gather more information there. Unless there is anything else...?"

Keira cocks an eyebrow at Nina and her... interesting behavior just now.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Deacon Siegmund Razinov

Siegmund follows the bishop side by side. This may yet be his opportunity to work things out or get some form of validation of the difficulty of his situation.

"Well, put simply, I have, as part of my duties, placed in a group of those who were decided to be best-suited for the job. However...One of those chosen was, put simply, a representative of a certain heathen deity, the likes of which congregate just across the street from you. How can I in any way cooperate with this person when our faiths are diametrically opposed and they insist on instigating every chance they get? As-is, if I spend another day in her presence things are liable to come to a head."

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Aseir & Siegmund- The Cathedral of Bahamut

Aseir- You notice that the cathedral itself is built in such a way that there are various stairways and passages that lead into the waters of the canal. There are also a few doorways that lead into the lower levels of the cathedral from the bottom of the canal, but they seem unopenable with the large amounts of water constantly pressing against their structure.

In addition to this, you notice a very subtle crackling of arcane energy emanating from the top of the tower. It's a near instantaneous event, but your keen eye is able to catch the slight ruby flicker.

Adrie gives Siegmund a somewhat understanding look.

"It would seem that we are always destined to work with those we may despise, or even be unable to understand. I'm sure the Grand Confessor would give you an anecdote about making an effort to understand their ways and mend bridges, but I'm afraid I must disagree with that sentiment."

She looks towards the temple of Bane with a grimace on her face.

"No matter how high you ascend in the church- and from what I hear, you most certainly have the potential to be brought to our highest ranks- you will always be asked to treat and make deals with the enemy. In your case, a worshipper of Bane happens to be your antagonist. Do you remind them at every turn that they are your enemy? Do you show them glee at their own misfortunes? Do you, perhaps unwillingly, fall victim to their taunts and traps?"

"Doing such things are only leading yourself to an early grave. Remind yourself that every time they provoke you is an opportunity to show everyone how much better you are. Perhaps with enough time, they may renounce their false god and embrace the true ways. Or perhaps you may fool them into calling you 'friend', and you will be able to strike them down when they become a danger too great for the world the handle."

Adrie faces Siegmund with a smile and pats him on the arm.

"I should hope the former be the case. We shall be needing a new Deacon within the year."

Keira, Nina, and Mord- Arazlam's Emporium

Arazlam shakes his head solemnly at Keira.

"I'm afraid not. A scarred mute may be challenging to find in a city this size, but not impossible. Your job finder may be able to provide you with more information, but I would think he would have a good reason for not sending you to him directly."

"If you have any more questions, or need me to inform you on a book, I shall be here. There is a matter I would like to discuss, but it can wait for a more convenient time."

Streetwise check if you want to search on your own, otherwise you can go to the bar and politely ask interrogate the bartender

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Sir Mord

Mord shrugs. "Let's chat with the bartender again, then."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Countess Keira Fovoham

Keira thanks Arazlam for his time and curtsies to him, then leads the way back down to the docks and the disreputable bar there. She has Nina and Mord wait for a moment while she dons her disguise again, and soon they are rejoined by a woman whose every mannerism is different from Keira’s, however many superficial features they might have in common. The newcomer chats amiably with them for a while until they arrive at The Briny Post.

She starts off gossiping and buying more drinks like the three of them are old friends, but as soon as the opportunity presents itself, she leans closer to the bartender.

: “I know your memory is fuzzy, but do you think you could possibly remember any information about that book job you mentioned earlier? Like who’s asking for it, and how we can find ‘em. My mates and I have been looking for just this sort of daring heist, you see.”

When she slides her mug back for a refill, there are two more gold coins inside it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

"A scholar and a saint. Thank you for your assistance. We can speak of the matter soon." If Keira has a look for her, she's ignoring it! And the looks Nina has for this disguise and the Briny Post are probably ignored as well. She orders nothing and waits for the chit chat to run its course, settling for looking slightly more intimidating and disapproving than usual.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Keira, Mord, and Nina- The Briny Post

The Briny Post in the evening is slightly more packed than it was in the daytime, with various smugglers and criminals enjoying games of dice. The Minotaur at the bar looks somewhat intrigued by Amelia's offer, making sure to pocket the coin and pass out drinks before speaking.

"The guy who gave out your job, he don't like to talk much. Don't like to be seen much, neither. Keeps me informed with couriers he sends me, making sure the goods he contracts are delivered with those same couriers."

He looks around the group, giving away a look of interest when he sees Nina.

"Some real bad poo poo went down with him and a few of his fellows on a job many years back. Scarred him good, took his tongue, made him real paranoid. I could put out a message if you'd like to meet him, but he'd likely skip town the second I did."

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

"Indeed, loyalty should be rewarded..." Zarafae makes a showing of slowly looking around the ruined interior of the church. "...And if this is what you've been rewarded with it's obvious that yours must be lacking. So let us talk about disloyalty and its consequences instead." She grabs Dakarai by his collar, pulls him close and smiles softly as she fixes him with an intense stare. "Tell me, Priest Ivanov, have you forgotten the dark fear of Bane? Do I need to remind you? What do you spend your tithes on, exactly? Perhaps we should go through your books before we seek entrance to the tower."

Intimidate: 1d20+13+2 21

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Zarafae Quavein- The Temple of Bane

A look of fear washes over Dakarai's skeletal face when you apprehend him. The few hobgoblins in the room draw their attention towards you, but the priest raises his skeletal hand to let them know that everything is okay.

"I assure you, my faith in Bane is absolute! I just mean- if you provide the book to the temple, or any agent of Bane, then the true god of Tyranny is sure to reward you for your efforts, right?"

Knowing that you aren't buying such a simple explanation, he continues on to elaborate, stuttering with every other word as he speaks.

"We do not get many tithes within the temple. As you well know, there aren't many who are drawn to the temple- and as of late I've felt more than tempted to abandon my post and see the insides of the tower myself. However, Bane has shown me what must be done, and I have done as He commanded."

Dakarai motions his head towards a nearly-broken door beside an Altar of Bane.

"In the back there is a device I commissioned from an engineer from Goug. You simply load whatever object or creature you want to into it, some gunpowder, and then light it and watch it fly."

"I mean, I assume they would fly. I haven't actually used it. I figure it would be loud- and one fire would have the priests of Bahamut knocking on my door in an instant."

Dakarai continues to throw nervous looks at you, hoping that you'll be willing to let him go. He seems to be growing more fearful by the second.

"I mean, to the nine hells with sneaking in or finding a way inside. Why not just blow up one of the tower walls and use that as your entrance?"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

Nina seems terribly unamused by something. "That seems very suspect. Your contact refuses to be met, can only be communicated with via courier and you're the only person we know who can communicate with him? And if we attempt to meet him it will void the offer as he flees? Does that mean that when we deliver the book, we pass it to you and hope for the best? Or maybe you are a man of exceptional trust and security. Would that mean you will pay us when we arrive with the book without need to wait for courier? It seems unlikely that we should have so much trust that we can assume the promised "hundreds of gold" will return to us after the book is sent to him." She stares flatly at the minotaur, perhaps even extra stoically. "Or is your character so firm that you hold hundreds of gold on you, at this very moment, in this very crowd, waiting infallibly to honestly perform this exchange."

Nina gives Mord and Keira a flat look. "Or maybe we've heard all we need to and this is a very wild goose chase for an offer of theft, trespassing, probable sacrilege and more."

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Amelia, Tavern Wench

Amelia places a hand on Nina’s shoulder.

: “Those are all valid concerns, love, but there’s no need to get worked up. We haven’t committed to anything yet, we’re simply gathering information. I did see this fellow conversing with another mercenary sort last time we were here, but I promise, if this doesn’t seem on the level, we’ll walk away immediately.

“Now, to add to my colleague’s queries, do you happen to know how far back this man’s ‘real bad job’ took place, sir?”

She watches Nina’s expression carefully out of the corner of her eyes as she asks the question, wondering if there could be a connection there. The background checks Keira did on the others just before they started working together did yield some interesting tidbits about Nina, so it's possible, if unlikely.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Nina, Amelia, and Mord- The Briny Post

Looking somewhat annoyed, the Bartender eases back on his chair and crosses his arms.

"Dunno if I can pin a date on when the job happened. It was plenty of years back; one day he just disappeared. Didn't see the guy for years after that- which wasn't too peculiar, sometimes when a job goes south you need to lay low for a while, yeah? But this time he shows up after being gone for years, and he's all bloodied, burned, and mute. I bring him in and bring him back to health and he writes to me that the authorities want him dead. Tells me he and his entire crew got sold out."

"So yeah, the guy's been lookin' over his shoulder a lot since then. Don't say I can blame you for not wanting to trust 'im. The job's an open offer, though. So if you decide to walk out on his offer right now that's fine by me- i'll just get the next bunch of mercs to walk in here to do it."

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Sir Mord

Mord rolls his eyes. "Useless," he mutters. "gently caress it, let's just grab the book. Mr. Spooky can show his presumably ugly mug if he wants it. If not, we'll keep it, or find someone else to buy it from us. We're great big heroes, don't want some foul grimoure to fall into the wrong hands, right?"

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Nina, Amelia, and Mord- The Briny Post

The bartender lets out a snarl of anger. Leaning forward, he puts his hands on the table and leans in closer as if to intimidate Mord- only to realize that he's biting off more than he can chew.

"William. His name's William. I'll put out a message that you guys want to meet him, but there's no promises on that front."

He leans back into his chair and crosses his arms, still trying to look tough but still quite angry at and somewhat afraid of Mord.

"If the three of you manage to get that book, you come back here a couple hours past midnight and he'll be waiting with your reward. You'll be able to ask all the questions you want then. If we hear that the lot of you pawned it off to someone else, you better not show your faces in here again or there will be hell to pay. Do you understand me?"

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Zarafae Quavein

"So let me get this straight." Zarafae tightens her grip on Dakarai. "You felt so tempted by the mystery of the tower that you decided to spend the church's meager funds on an experimental siege weapon to blow it apart?" Try as she might she can't quite mask her amusement. "What am I to do with you..." She stares into his eye sockets for a moment longer, as if contemplating his fate, then lets him go.

"You will not be punished... Yet. However, you will not even think about abandoning your duties again. I will consider making use of your device, but I will need to learn more about the book before I decide if your temple is a worthy recipient."

"Serve our Lord with your utmost dedication and restore his temple from this pitiful state, Priest Ivanov, or I can promise you that you won't find our next encounter as pleasant." And with that Zarafae turns to leave the temple to meet up with the others.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Amelia, Tavern Wench

Full of conciliatory hand gestures and placating smiles, Amelia finishes her second beer and settles up her tab.

: "Such jokers my companions are. Pay it no mind, 'keep. We're all friends here. Thank you ever so much for your time!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Nina the Burned

Quietly, Nina drops a copper for the water on the table and rises. "I've heard all I need to." She waits to speak with the others away from the Minotaur's or anyone else's attention. "Perhaps we should take this book after all." And that is all she'll say as presumably everybody will meet up somewhere to share info.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Deacon Siegmund Razinov

"I see...so the stance to take is to keep a stiff upper lip and ignore it. This is going to be quite the test of mental fortitude...But I suppose I've had more than enough of those already to be used to it. I doubt she'll convert: her stance is that Bahamut abandoned her when she needed it the most, and for that she spits on it night and day. Truly, though, to go straight from Platinum Dragon to Black Hand...I need to do an inquiry into that, see what really happened, and, for that matter, what the rest of the pantheon was doing that kept all of them sans Bane from assisting her. I sense a fundamental misunderstanding...or a set-up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

Siegmund & Aseir- The Cathedral of Bahamut

Adrie nods and gives Siegmund a smile.

"Investigation into her past may reveal why she is so adamant in her faith, and may reveal to you a weakness in its foundation. I trust you will be able to show her the light of the great dragon, as the rest of us have seen."

She takes a slight note of Aseir staring out towards the tower, then turns back to Siegmund.

"Is there anything else the two of you need?"

• Locked thread