Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I cleared what I assume is the pre-expansion content after about a week.

I solo'd the final-ish boss on a lark, I thought I'd get mulched like the time I tried to fight the god of cats solo but instead it just looked like I was gonna run out of time. it went down with 6 minutes on the clock. Way more fun than when I went back later with a full party, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Utgardaloki posted:

I cleared what I assume is the pre-expansion content after about a week.

I solo'd the final-ish boss on a lark, I thought I'd get mulched like the time I tried to fight the god of cats solo but instead it just looked like I was gonna run out of time. it went down with 6 minutes on the clock. Way more fun than when I went back later with a full party, honestly.

"God of Cats"?

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I'm currently at difficulty 5 in the game, can anyone share some bullet recipes for the assault/sniper/shotgun weapons? This bullet editor is a very baffling mechanic

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Dyaus Pita, sorry.

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

I remember playing Burst for a few hours and really liking it before my Plus subscription ran out, so I'm excited to actually try the series out now that it's on console.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I just heard about this and preordered on ps4. I have been telling friends "I will pay $100 for a ps4 monster hunter," and thanks to amazon pricing it only cost me $50 for 2. come on august 30th.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Its my bday friday and i felt like being generous, so i just bought myself and two friends preorders of God Eater 2 on steam.

I know thats not how bdays work but whatever.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Malloreon posted:

I just heard about this and preordered on ps4. I have been telling friends "I will pay $100 for a ps4 monster hunter," and thanks to amazon pricing it only cost me $50 for 2. come on august 30th.

Be sure to hit me up in the discord for questions about Resurrection. If you care at all about story, you do want to spend some time with it before GE2, though be wary that it's technically the newer game and might have a slightly different feel from GE2 once that releases :v:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Emalde posted:

Be sure to hit me up in the discord for questions about Resurrection. If you care at all about story, you do want to spend some time with it before GE2, though be wary that it's technically the newer game and might have a slightly different feel from GE2 once that releases :v:

thanks, will do. I was considering watching the anime before the 30th - good or bad idea?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Malloreon posted:

thanks, will do. I was considering watching the anime before the 30th - good or bad idea?

just play the game, it's functionally a giant commercial

Emalde
May 3, 2007

trying to explain god eater to people is mostly like this

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey quick question I haven't been able to find the answer to yet. How 'complex' does this game get down the line? I'm a big Monster Hunter fan and I try not to be all 'heh all these monhun clones are baby mode' but when I got that Toukiden game and found myself losing interest when it seemed the monsters never really got difficult.

Obviously I don't need some dumb 'if you don't jump at this exact second you instantly die, learn to play idiot' kinda thing but does the game eventually start offering about the same amount of challenge as a monster hunter game would, having to remember attack patterns and avoid telegraphed moves and status effects and all?

Basically if this game is anime as gently caress futuristic monster hunter I'm sold.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It gets more complex than Toukiden, but not quite to monster hunter levels.

The focus is always more on speed and dodging over using traps and such (though there are traps in game should you wish to use them.) The complexity is still in preparation with stuff like crafting new gear and building new bullets.

Attack patterns and stuff definitely come into play, though it takes a little while and you can often brute force if you're willing to farm for better gear.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That's a fine range for me I think. Honestly I have Monster Hunter if I want a game exactly like it, a more fast paced focused version could be fun, and as long as the game has a good challenge I'm happy.

The bullet system looks really neat too.

My only other question is I saw the OP said costumes and all have no effect on your stats, but I assume weapons still do, right? The feel I'm getting from what I've seen is it's still the Monster Hunter cycle of 'kill monsters, get their bits, make a cool rear end giant sword and hat out of them' but the difference is that the fancy hat part of that equation doesn't do anything for you beyond cosmetics? I'm totally cool with that, since like 80% of my Monster Hunter game always devolves into fashion hunter anyway. If I can have all the fun of fashion hunter without the 'oh but my armor skills' factor that's an improvement if anything.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

My only other question is I saw the OP said costumes and all have no effect on your stats, but I assume weapons still do, right? The feel I'm getting from what I've seen is it's still the Monster Hunter cycle of 'kill monsters, get their bits, make a cool rear end giant sword and hat out of them' but the difference is that the fancy hat part of that equation doesn't do anything for you beyond cosmetics? I'm totally cool with that, since like 80% of my Monster Hunter game always devolves into fashion hunter anyway. If I can have all the fun of fashion hunter without the 'oh but my armor skills' factor that's an improvement if anything.

Yes it's exactly that. You'll be crafting new weapons (both melee and ranged) fairly often as well as collecting items used to add new weapon skills. There are also armor/stat upgrades that do not affect appearance to craft. Costumes are mostly crafted and purely cosmetic.

In SP, you're also going to be upgrading the skills of NPCs but you don't need to manage their weapons thankfully.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
I love the fact that dressup is separate from stats in this game, but is still very much something you earn over time.

I have a question about the Preorder costumes. Are they for GE2 only? Or do we get to cosplay as tales of zestiria characters in resurrection too?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Talkc posted:

I have a question about the Preorder costumes. Are they for GE2 only? Or do we get to cosplay as tales of zestiria characters in resurrection too?

2 only. There's a ridiculous amount of standard outfits in both games though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mokinokaro posted:

Yes it's exactly that. You'll be crafting new weapons (both melee and ranged) fairly often as well as collecting items used to add new weapon skills. There are also armor/stat upgrades that do not affect appearance to craft. Costumes are mostly crafted and purely cosmetic.

In SP, you're also going to be upgrading the skills of NPCs but you don't need to manage their weapons thankfully.

yea gently caress it I'll preorder, this sounds like the kinda MH clone I can get into

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Glad this is coming to Steam, I lost my MH Generations save data and can't bring myself to redo any more gathering village quests. Looking forward to something different after playing nothing but Switchaxe for four years

Emalde
May 3, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Glad this is coming to Steam, I lost my MH Generations save data and can't bring myself to redo any more gathering village quests. Looking forward to something different after playing nothing but Switchaxe for four years

Unlike MH it takes like two hunts to make a new perfectly comparable alternative to whatever your current flavor of the minute is for weaponry.

Between this and Toukiden 2, I feel like MH has a lot to answer for in regards to making the games not feel like a literal chore to play. The stories are still dumb though so :shrug:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

5 more days until GE2, get hype! But don't get hype by looking at fanart, every single character is one bad camera angle away from danger. :ohdear:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any weapon tutorial videos like the monster hunter ones that basically spell out the most efficient combos to use?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Emalde posted:

5 more days until GE2, get hype! But don't get hype by looking at fanart, every single character is one bad camera angle away from danger. :ohdear:

5 More days until PC peasants like me get to sink our teeth into Resurrection.

I cant wait until i too am anime.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Any weapon tutorial videos like the monster hunter ones that basically spell out the most efficient combos to use?

This purely depends on your passive ability augments and the weapon of choice. Some of the time it's jump-canceling, sometimes it's just mashing the heavy attack, sometimes it's just using the built-in infinite combo stuff, etc.

Short answer is no.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
The one thing that consistently bothers me about God Eater is how all-over-the-place your attacks tend to be. I picked up Ressurection for my Vita remembering some of the good times I had years ago with Burst, and have been enjoying it. It still bugs me though, how I know exactly what I'm aiming for and manage to get in a good position, but the flailing nature of most melee attacks means that most of them fail to hit the enemy weak points and instead bounce off their armor even when I know exactly where I am aiming. Guns don't have that problem, but.... ya know. Ammo.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

anyone going to playing resurrection before 2 next week? either way, add me on PSN: chromehound47

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Is there a list of improvements since the God Eater Burst?
I played the old psp game years ago and I'd like to know how much has been changed.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Not that I am immediately aware of, but a short informal list off the top of my head....

1. The graphics are much sharper and higher resolution. They haven't changed - everything looks exactly the same - but it's much more detailed.

2. A new Skills system has been implemented which lets you customize and upgrade your squad members - for example, you can have someone gain more life, resistance to stun, automatically link burst when an ally is downed, shoot bullets that inflict poison, etc. It doesn't dramatically change the way you play and the bonuses aren't too huge, but it's nice. Allies gain xp for this system through clearing missions with you, and you pick the upgrades you want to unlock.

3. There is a new 'predator style' system which lets you customize your devour abilities. In addition to the charged devours and quick devours you could once do, you can now also do combo devours, air devours, dashing devours, etc, and you can customize them in various ways - make the devour weaker but give it AOE, have it charge forwarded as you use it, have your character automatically do an evasive leap backwards after devouring, etc.

4. You can also give each type of devour a single bonus attribute that you acquire after successfully devouring - for example, you could gain a bonus to your next melee damage strike after devouring, gain more Oracle Points than usual, etc.

5. There is now a system that lets you find Abandoned God Arcs in the field for any mission Rank 4 or higher. You can pick from one of three random weapon types with a randomly assigned skill to bring back to base. These skills can then be stripped from the weapon and applied to one of your own. Some abandoned God Arcs have a +1 next to their name; these also provide a (slight) permanent stat boost to the weapon they are applied to.

6. I think there is supposedly a new short story arc designed to link the plot of the game to the events of God Eater 2. I haven't gotten that far yet.

7. There is at least one new aragami type - or at the very least, I certainly do not ever remember meeting them in the PSP version: The Yaksha-Raja. No, this is just just a reskin, it really is a full-fledged new enemy. They seem pretty rare though.

8. In addition to your combat units, you can now select a Support member for your squad. They are not physically present on the battlefield, but have Skills via the new skill system just like anyone else. Support skills allow you to gain certain bonuses after the mission is accomplished, usually raising drop rates for various item types / conditions.

9. There are a small handful of new mission types - Urgent missions cannot be selected normally, but are periodically available for a limited time. They seem to give better rewards than normal ones. Challenge missions seem to be high level.... well, challenges.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
There's 2-3 more aragami types that i remember.

The story added wraps up the first game more than leading into the sequel though

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
For those of you who have pre-ordered on steam, both games are now in your library, and both games are available for pre-load.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Everything I am seeing about this appalls me, and I am 100% in.

For better player population is the Steam version or the PS version the way to go? And should I play the bundled-reworked-original before I go into 2?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

oh sweet a multiplayer Monster Hunter-type game with online multiplayer on Steam. I think that's a first.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Well, there's Toukiden. But I greatly prefer God Eater; Toukiden has a lot of neat stuff, but the basic combat gameplay is a little too simple for me.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I played this back on the psp in high school, had fun despite exclusively playing solo and the later endgame quests taking a bit on the long side.

Does that female lead from the first game whose name I don't remember return in 2? I recall her being obnoxious and honestly almost stopped playing when it became obvious I was supposed to sympathize with the idiot fuckup

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wrist Watch posted:

I played this back on the psp in high school, had fun despite exclusively playing solo and the later endgame quests taking a bit on the long side.

Does that female lead from the first game whose name I don't remember return in 2? I recall her being obnoxious and honestly almost stopped playing when it became obvious I was supposed to sympathize with the idiot fuckup

Alisa does show up again.

Resurrection (and Rage Burst, apparently) take more time to try to develop her as a character, but really there isn't much in the way of good writing to be found in these games. She has softened up between both stories though, and is supposed to be more 'mature' as far as 'animes fighting giant monsters and flashing all of the underboob' go.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Wrist Watch posted:

Of course. :v:

https://www.twitch.tv/emalde/v/86375573 Did some streaming earlier of the late story (my mic was off for the first 20 minutes, so skip ahead if that bothers you). If you stick around I'll be streaming on/off the entire day to get it cleared in time for GE2's release tonight.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 29, 2016

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
While Alisa was definitely an unlikeable fuckup, I dunno. I still felt some sympathy for her, simply by virtue of the fact that she was hand-picked to be an unlikeable fuckup. She was Johannes's combination Manchurian Candidate/ fall guy, after all. And she did do her damndest to at least try to make up for it after the fact.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'd suggest people wait a bit before buying the steam version. The track record on these ports isn't very good.

I'm getting the vita version because I need to justify owning one

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Emalde posted:

Of course. :v:

https://www.twitch.tv/emalde/v/86375573 Did some streaming earlier of the late story (my mic was off for the first 20 minutes, so skip ahead if that bothers you). If you stick around I'll be streaming on/off the entire day to get it cleared in time for GE2's release tonight.

Was that the Steam version you were streaming Emalde?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

RossCo posted:

Was that the Steam version you were streaming Emalde?

PS4.

• Locked thread