Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Any good place to find out the mechanics? Tutorial wasn't really that helpful.

Is there a lock on function? If not what's that red circle for? After I devour what do I do? None of the buttons seem to do anything special.

In case it's not clear I'm still level 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The God Eater Resurrection tutorial covers all of that. I don't know about GE2RB but I imagine it's the same.

Hold L to lock on to an enemy and use RS to cycle between targets. Going to gun mode or pressing L releases the lockon. Holding L in gun mode goes into aim mode instead of locking on.

Devouring enemies temporarily makes you go faster and do more damage. Depending on how you devour (holding triangle vs. pressing R+triangle), you will also get 3 or 1 special bullets (respectively). Special bullets don't cost anything to use, but if you have enough burst and have special bullets, you can fire an empowered version with R+square that consumes a bit of burst.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

How do you get a higher level Burst without having your teammates transfer it to you?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

DaveKap posted:

How do you get a higher level Burst without having your teammates transfer it to you?

You can't, I'm pretty sure. The mechanic is meant for multiplayer but the New Types in the story are pretty decent at doing it for you as well. Resurrection makes it even easier by giving you two extra New Types waaaaay earlier than you should get them. Keep in mind Old Types CANNOT increase your Burst, since ranged types have no means of acquiring it and melee types have no means to transfer it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
GE2RB has a mechanic where NPCs that are not in your party can give you a buff at a certain time in the mission. One of these is giving you a level 3 burst. Resurrection also has a Predator Style that takes like 10 seconds to charge but will give you a level 3 boost with one bite.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
There's a skill called Mutual Upgrade that upgrades your burst level when you transfer bullets but I can't recall if you can actually get it on anything. Or if you can it's definitely non-trivial. It also requires that you bring allies to transfer to.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

nerdz posted:

GE2RB has a mechanic where NPCs that are not in your party can give you a buff at a certain time in the mission. One of these is giving you a level 3 burst. Resurrection also has a Predator Style that takes like 10 seconds to charge but will give you a level 3 boost with one bite.

There's another that gives everyone except you a level 3 boost

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
:ssj: https://fat.gfycat.com/CaringIllustriousIrishterrier.webm

game owns

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0156 posted:

I'm not super good at this game/series (I started with GE resurrection in case I cared about the story - I don't, it turns out) so I was looking online for general tips and tricks and stumbled across just how badly the bullet crafting system is broken.

It seemed a little crazy to me when I poked at it in the menu but I thought it was like "maybe you make a bomb ammo that shoots smaller bombs out of it" or "you combine slug and buckshot ammo together to shoot a wide spread of BIG bullets" or something like that. no, turns out people do stuff like shooting sniper bullets into the sky which then buff themselves based on distance to the target and automatically home in from above and break like 3 monster parts within 3 seconds of starting the mission

It kind of feels like maybe you shouldn't be able to do that in this game but I guess if anyone else is struggling like me it basically has a built-in difficulty slider, just craft a bomb that one shots everything or whatever??

I don't know that I'd go that far. Ammo crafting is powerful if you take advantage of it, but if it didn't offer you much bonus, then what would your incentive be to use it at all? Besides, it never really struck me as too insanely powered on its own; you still need guns / upgrades / element types with good stats to complement them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still don't know if I like KB/M or Controller more for this game.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

If you have a link to that sniper bullet I would like it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Speaking of ammo crafting, when do I get access to the really crazy stuff in 2RB? All I can do right now is basic elemental and debuff stuff. I want awesome laser lights and rotating death bombs and poo poo.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
You start with access--you have to build the lightshows and death bombs from those elements. The only thing you don't start with access to are the Blood Bullet effects which are nothing to do with lightshows or death bombs.

The in-game database has enough info to get you started on messing around with the bullet editor and from there it's just trial and error. Alternatively, you can just look up cookie-cutter recipes online.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

You are good. This looks so cool and smooth. When I try to play, the camera is all over the place and I have weird pauses between attacks and I can't dodge anything :v:

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Danith posted:

You are good. This looks so cool and smooth. When I try to play, the camera is all over the place and I have weird pauses between attacks and I can't dodge anything :v:

His camera is locked on

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Why is the camera in GE:R so sensitive when it's locked on and is there a way to reduce its sensitivity or speed?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh that big screen is for viewing a whole bunch of tutorial videos! :downs:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Is the only benefit of being able to bring friends-you-played-with-as-NPCs (Avatars) into missions mainly the strength of their gear? Because i feel like the Personal Abilities of your own NPCs is a bit more important

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Don't they also come with the skills on their gear? Such a weird feature if they don't.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Oh they probably do. I'm just asking if that's the trade-off: Customizable (by your friend) partner vs Personal Abilities that can get you more goods per quest?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Morter posted:

Oh they probably do. I'm just asking if that's the trade-off: Customizable (by your friend) partner vs Personal Abilities that can get you more goods per quest?

Well, you can get those skills on player gear as well. It's just nearly no one actually gears for it since it's kinda eh.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
If I want loot I usually just use a support member with the proper skill. Pretty sure the Ignore ____ skills actually increase the drop rates on their category's items as well so you can get a lot of mileage out of Ignore Bonds even if you're always meeting the condition for it anyway.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I'm loving GE2 but after being nearly untouchable in GE:R low level play is harrowing.

i also can't spam predator styles to cruise around the map, i'm feeling strain from that too

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Utgardaloki posted:

i also can't spam predator styles to cruise around the map, i'm feeling strain from that too

Yeah, you'll need to get used to alternating circle and square to get around. That's more or less as fast as riding your arc was, provided you're not using a scythe.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can two items with the same skill increase a bonus beyond 10 or is 10 a max limit?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Can two items with the same skill increase a bonus beyond 10 or is 10 a max limit?

If the skill is <activates at 10>, it caps out there as well. I believe per-level boosts go higher? But I could be mistaken.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Emalde posted:

If the skill is <activates at 10>, it caps out there as well. I believe per-level boosts go higher? But I could be mistaken.

Per level boosts cap out at 10 as well. Note you can get around this in some instances: [B]Melee Atk. and Melee Atk. are two separate skills,for instance.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
One thing I would recommend in GE:R- if you're using assault rifle weapons, ditch the default rapid fire bullet, make a rapid fire bullet that is a five-point spread of default rapid fire bullets separated by 1 degree in each direction. You won't get more energy out of it, but it neatly quintuples your chip damage, turns near misses into hits, isn't any slower to fire compared to the basic shot, and it's still free to use. If you mash the button it's almost a respectable amount of damage against filler enemies.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I think I read about a spread bullet that has high crush damage and good at breaking parts. For some reason, shotguns seem unwieldy to me in that even if i'm at the face of a vajra, using the ammo they're weak to, some of the shots will hit the face for good damage, some of them will do double digit damage for no reason. It's annoying and dumb. So I just want utility out of my shots, if I can help it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Morter posted:

So I just want utility out of my shots, if I can help it.

Shotgun delivers on none of these things, or anything of value really. It's pretty distinctly "i literally dont ever want to even bother using my gun" as a subclass of ranged weapons.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Emalde posted:

Shotgun delivers on none of these things, or anything of value really. It's pretty distinctly "i literally dont ever want to even bother using my gun" as a subclass of ranged weapons.

Really? I was doing that special mission where you need to kill 3 midsized monsters in 2 minutes with blood rage and that blood shotgun bullet completely wrecks them with a ridiculous fire rate, i can kill all 3 on a single blood rage. It even made me stop using impulse edge and switching to the shotgun because I can get like 40k damage out of a single OP bar.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

nerdz posted:

Really? I was doing that special mission where you need to kill 3 midsized monsters in 2 minutes with blood rage and that blood shotgun bullet completely wrecks them with a ridiculous fire rate, i can kill all 3 on a single blood rage. It even made me stop using impulse edge and switching to the shotgun because I can get like 40k damage out of a single OP bar.

Having to resort to functionally cheating to get the most out of shotguns is kind of indicative of their baseline quality :v:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Emalde posted:

Having to resort to functionally cheating to get the most out of shotguns is kind of indicative of their baseline quality :v:

Not really, I still can kill a lot of monsters out of two or 3 OP bars in less than a minute with the shotguns. Now if you say the other gun types are far stronger than that I'll be suprised.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Shotgun is decent in GE2 but in GE:R it's not really nerfed so much as even worse by comparison since they got rid of module restrictions by weapon so there's no reason to use a shotgun over blast. And it lost all of its cooler blood bullets, which applies to everything but hurt shotgun the most. There's also no reason to use the shotgun's special over a dash devour for out of combat movement.

What GE:R should have done is remove the lock from the spread module, but since it didn't shotgun is just terrible in comparison even to sniper which was also nerfed in comparison to blast.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only gun I ever needed in resurrection was the incredibly broken radial type impulse edge

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Can't play now but can you move while shooting with blast?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Morter posted:

Can't play now but can you move while shooting with blast?

Sure can't.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Man, I knew the story in 2 would be bad but I wasn't prepared for just how bad. I wonder if Japan realizes just how lame sounding "Friar" is as a name for giant tank fortress. God Eater 3 will probably be in a space laser submarine named "Beadle". Also lol at the obligatory "chick begging you to kill her" scene.

Game is pretty cool other than that though! I'm finally getting the hang of bullet editing, although I'm struggling making bullets that are actually good rather than just neat. My one success is a rapid shot that fires a point blank laser on hit. It's almost identical in function to the default rapid shot except it costs less OP and does more damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
From what I understand in Burst / Ressurection, the 'go-to' player-built bullet types are HDH (Head, Direct Hit) and IOD (Internal Organ Destruction) respectively. You can find recipes by googling. HDH is designed to be a spammable bullet you can just shoot off randomly and it will always headshot things javelin-missile style, and IOD is just a bullet that generates a million point-blank range sub bullets on impact to quickly break bonds.

I'm sure there's better stuff possible, but IOD has served me pretty well in my Ressurection playthrough.

• Locked thread